Any theories on why so many people have quit over the last 2 years?

I know aware that I’m stepping into a thread, but:

This:

My personal opinion…

PVP is fine. It can be great in fact. However, there does need to be a place for people to get their “feet wet” and then transition (or not) to the “true” game of PVP.

Personally, I like the idea of being part of a larger force coordinating together to maintain a territory or turf. The idea of scouting the “enemy” solo is sort of “sexy” also.

At the same time, what does it really matter to the ganker if there is a group that doesn’t want to PVP. I’m dead set against large groups of bots and ISK farmers, since I feel that they can destroy a games environment. However, I don’t see that people like CODE have the right to try to force others to play their way.

What is not fun or sexy is being griefed by gankers.

It’s really only fun to the gankers.

8 Likes

Only 10-15% of the population feels “adrenaline rush”. The rest just feel stress and tend to avoid it. EVE has NEVER been about adrenaline rush because no matter how many people play it becasue of it, they’re a small minority and the rest just will avoid the feeling.

This is why right now it’s standard procedure to drop Supercarriers and even Titans on T2 frigates traversing home systems. Risk? Why take any chances? Whatever it is, drop your biggest guns on it and smash it (if you can).

Of course, to you it’s about your adrenaline rushes. But you’re a part of a minority and frankly CCP still would be a garage company if they depended solely upon the likes of you.

Most people only PvP to win. And since PvP requires someone to lose, PvP is a naturally unstable mechanic that tends to disappear unless it’s boosted artificially. This is why CCP spends so much time shuffling stats to change the fitting meta as victory ratios determine which ships are the flavour of the month.

PvErs, by the way, do exactly the same. They optimize their chances to win and decrease their chances to lose as much as possible, with the meaningful difference that they don’t need another player to play their way. This is why PvP is dead in Ultima Online but PvE keeps the venerable lady alive.

Only adrenaline junkies play to lose as long as they “win” by having a adrenaline rush. Most people play to feel positive emotions, and that’s easier to deliver through PvE than by PvP.

Personally, I can’t enjoy PvE for the sake of mowing down NPCs. I enjoy it better when there’s some PvP (competition) in it, even if it’s not of the adrenaline rushing type.

Some people box. Others do chess. Or even Jenga…

This is the most adrenaline-filled, heart pumping thing you’ll see today, and is well worth 15 minutes of your life.

8 Likes

Well it is a statement of fact, certain GM’s have decided to make it easy for gankers, you come out with a HTFU type of statement and I pointed out that he would be joining the club of easy play winners. In any case people who play like he does do not have an easy time of it, so why can’t he have a hammock?

2 Likes

I think there is not enough ganking going on.

2 Likes

LMAO, the sample was people on trial accounts…, but feel free to hang onto that for dear life, its kinda cute. and very pathetic.

All it proved to me was that CCP did not have a clue what they were doing…

2 Likes

No it was not people on trial accounts. It was examining people at the start of their accounts… the first 15 days… and seeing who got killed how… and then seeing what happened to the accounts.

That does not make them trial accounts.

“People who don’t die at all are the most likely to leave the game.”

And furthermore it is not stated how long the players were followed.

2 Likes

Trial accounts…

1 Like

Nope…

Trial accounts…

1 Like

Nope. 80 thousand people. It is also not clear if they looked at multiple accounts belonging to those 80 thousand people.

Is the OP being ironical?

He and some others who posted on this topic are probably responsible for hundreds of carebears rage quitting and he is asking “why so many have quit over the last 2 years?”

Those carebear subs would have helped CCP develop the game and pay the bills.

Just saying …

5 Likes

There is a danger that observation is confusing cause with effect.

It’s always possible those players who are more likely to dive in & go try the things early on that are more likely to get them ganked may simply be those who are naturally inclined to be more likely to stay in the first place.

If that is the case the ones who didn’t take risks that got them ganked early on are to some degree a false negative as they were going to leave anyway.

So it’s still possible that within that other more likely to stay demographic getting ganked early is still a turn off that has cost the game players.

I’m not saying that is the case.

Just you sometimes need to be careful how you interpret statistics, as they don’t always mean what you think they do :confused:

6 Likes

Ah statistics…those things that can be twisted or spun to mean whatever you want people to believe…

Most players seemed to take those with a healthy dose of scepticism, and still do when you consider that CCP have never expanded on those findings…

Some stats I’d like to see surround cancelling subscriptions, particularly those surrounding recurring subs, you have to put a reason you’re unsubbing, I wonder what players put? What are, say, the top 3 reasons they are quitting, rl issues, can’t afford the game, game balance issues?

That would make better reading than that bunch of tripe from fanfest 2015…

“Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable.”
― Mark Twain

6 Likes

I prefer the term interpretive mathematics :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I get the funny feeling those guys were people who treated the game as a chat box with a shiny and slightly interactive game for a background. There are not-MMOs which fit this description, like… Facebook.

2 Likes

I tried Ganking on an alt, and didn´t like it. I think its stale, boring and just…not my playstyle. So I didn´t care for PVP for a looong time.
Nowadays I do PVP. Because its fun in a fleet, its sometimes crazy, not boring and most of all: Its hillarious, to watch some Dreads get hotdrop on a fething destroyer-roamingfleet. I just laughed hard. Even when my ship got blown apart.:fedo:

Mining. Yeah. I do it sometimes. But I don´t realy care about it. I do exploration, when I wanna clear my mind. Trading…well…
And missionrunning. I pretty had my fill of it, for the time beeing.

Its still a game, and its still a awesome sandbox.

4 Likes

I don’t think anything you said helps to solve the question of the thread. However, you are a pretty good example of why some think the community is toxic, given you call us paedophiles and nazis just because you lost a pixel spaceship.

5 Likes

Typical drac lies to push his carebear agenda. You know very well that they also looked at reasons given for cancelling the sub and that does NOT include trial accounts.

The reason for this study was to provide evidence for the common claim by carebears that ganking harms the new player experience and makes people quit the game. Let’s call this claim “the carebear hypothesis”.

In the beginning CCP Rise stated this questions to see how many people think that “the carebear hypothesis” is true, a lot agreed. Then CCP showed that they made an attempt to prove that hypothesis by looking at 80k new players, which they categorized into “not killed”, “legally killed” and “illegally killed” and then looked at how many of them stayed with the game after the 15days.

But that is not all they did, they also tried to verify “the carebear hypothesis” with the reasons given for unsubscribing an account which is filled out by everyone not only new players. The figure given here was that <1% cite ship loss or harassment as a reason for quitting the game.

Now to the conclusion, what does the study actually say?

Well it completely falsifies “the carebear hypothesis” which stated that ganking is the main reason for players quitting be that < 15 and > 15 day characters. The figures show without a doubt, that there is absolutely no evidence in favour of the hypothesis that ganking is a major driver for players quitting the game.

Actually CCP Rise said in a post on the forums that they tried again and again to find evidence of “the carebear hypothesis” to be true given how strong the sentiment is in the community about this being a fact.

If anything, the study showed that actually the opposite may be true and that villains actually provide content and reasons to stay in an otherwise rather bleak Highsec where players start out.

It is not surprising that this study is rejected by the majority of the carebear block which based all their hope on CCP one day banning the people who interfere with their gameplay in this multiplayer sandbox. I think it is normal human reaction to reject evidence which goes against ones fundamental believes, even after all this years, those carebears are still in shock it seams.

Watch the video again, they looked at the reasons people give for why they are quitting. <1% cited ship loss or harassment.

The funny thing about this is, we had this question before by people who thought that the <15day part said nothing, and surely looking at the reasons people give for quitting would give a different picture and completely validate their believes that ganking causes people to quit. It was almost always the case that soon after it was mentioned that they indeed looked at this as well (so much for people actually watching the video) and that the findings did not show any evidence of ganking being a problem, they always immediately rejected that the survey actually means anything and came up with silly excuses about why the people who are otherwise very vocal on the forums when loosing a ship somehow went completely silent on the one feedback form that actually would have made a difference…

4 Likes

It just sounds as the arguments on how the abundance of firearms in the USA haves no impact on the amount of firearm incidents and misuse…

5 Likes

Please feel free to actually address the arguments I made instead of some generic knee jerk reaction because they make you uncomfortable.

2 Likes