Eve Bots - are they a bad thing, is CCP complicit in their use?

Just deal with it.
Bots are highly welcome by CCP.
Example is Jita market.
For CCP is much better only some people(bot users) are making huge profit.
Beecause other people will buy isks/profit/items from CCP for real currency …
Easy as "D"uck

1 Like

Quite an impressive number. But I am still curious: What about the quality of the bots? How much ISK do they produce? Are they becoming more human-like on average?

1 Like
  1. They are a problem for the quality of this game that’s for sure. They take the meaning out of iskmaking. What’s the point of struggling to increase your wealth when people can do it without any effort? Also, they cause devauation of ISK and PLEX inflation.

2. In my 3 years of experience reporting/hunting bots, I recently began suspecting CCP prioritizes the bottom line (active account/sub count) more than game breaking issues that are being caused by activities that require many accounts. That incldue botting (LP bots, market bots, anomaly running bots, hisec mining bots) but also stuff such as being able to multibox 50 Rorquals.

I think CCP is fine with bots at this point. But even if I am wrong and CCP wanted to combat bots, they could deal with all of these in a way that would make botting way less profitable and popular. At the very least they don’t allocate enough resources to fight with bots.

This would only change if people are more aware of botting and outraged by it. So please keep talking about it. CCP’s stance of botting deserves a “summer of rage” much more than a fighter damage nerf. If major null empires begin to make this the agenda people talk about, and others followed, I bet CCP would swiftly respond to botting.

3 Likes

The mistake made was not removing Chinese access after the Chinese server was dumped. One day game developers will get the memo: block China if you want to remove 90% of bots and hacking. Russia is getting bad for it too but nowhere near the level of China.

For info, as I have too much time on my hands currently (would prefer to playing the market but bots there are making that impossible so here I am with a new focus), the guys contract history that I linked, the one with the RMT contracts, their are :slight_smile:

300 RMT contracts
Spanning 6th July 2017 till 27th Oct 2017
The contracts total 1,108 Billion or in a different language 1.1 trillion

And that’s just one guys contracts - when I reported him, I also reported 5 others at the same time. And that’s just the ones that I found and were still current… how many more are out there like this one is anyone’s guess

I wonder if any of the 1.1 trillion that he dished out will infact be clawed back - A number of players I saw received in excess of 40 bill.

If they claw it back they risk losing players due to significant negative wallets. If they don’t claw it back then they risk sending out the wrong message and in doing so they indirectly encourage RMT’ing.

5 Likes

Did it ever occur to you that what you are looking at is not simply a violation of the EULA or TOS, but is in fact a crime? Think about it in that context. Use your imagination. Why are you people so naive? GROW UP!

What? I know these words but in this order they dont seem to make sense.

1 Like

Click your heels together 3 times and repeat after me: “It’s only a game. It’s only a game. It’s only a game . . .”

You’ve classified all these contracts as “RMT” and throughout this thread there’s the expectation that either:

a. CCP accepts your classification instead of their own investigation, and bans these accounts, faster.

b. If they don’t accept your evaluation of what’s RMT, they justify themselves to you, and reveal account information or details of their investigation of these accounts that are not your own.

In any case, Active ISK delta is banned accounts with ISK in their wallets, and 20 Trillion monthly seems to indicate that they ARE, in fact, doing their jobs at detecting and banning these accounts, about 18 times better than your 1.1 Trillion.

1 Like

please provide counter evidence instead of finding arguments to defend these kind of activities.
I’m pretty sure the OP is highly suspecting this to be RMT, which is a thing is eve online (have you ever googled for isk sellers and see what you get?)
And indeed what is happening here looks shady and suspicious. (maybe it’s just trolling, or even lure trap so people can win arguments) maybe people are on purpose acting like a bot or pretending doing RMT, so people can say see it was not true, now shut up your accusations from now. :moonwalkingparrot:

But please if you want to defend this or them, please provide counter evidence, like what they are doing, not what they are not doing.
If you arrest 20 trillion criminals it doesn’t mean the other 1.1 trillion magically disappears, that’s not how math works, because bigger numbers hijack smaller numbers in some way lol :halalparrot:
You are talking about 20 trillion covering 23,000 people? (I don’t know) OP is talking about 1 person covering 1.1 trillion, you only need 20 people doing the same to surpass that in case you wanted to talk about the numbers

:dash:

2 Likes

Banning RMT accounts is not the same as banning bots. Many people do not RMT away the bot money.

2 Likes

Wait is it true that Active ISK Delta=ISK removed from banned accounts?
What happened in May then? Did CCP revoke many bans in May?

No it’s not. Active isk delta is isk removed from circulation by any means. Primary means is accounts going inactive (Used to be accounts lapsing subscription obviously) by whatever CCP uses to define it. Best guess is 60 days since last login. The mega bans do appear on the isk graph though as visible blips.

1 Like

I think this is a really good post for what it’s worth and I found what CCP_Peligro wrote really interesting and informative too.

Personally, I really hate 'bots. I hate them because it’s really lazy gameplay and also because their use encourages people to ‘play’ the game without actually being engaged in it.

When I play, I chat to people while I’m doing stuff - mostly on things like Broadcast For Reps and so on - and this social aspect to Eve is really important I think. 'Bots utterly kill this by allowing people to ‘play’ without really playing at all.

I also hate the way that 'bots allow people who are willing to cheat to effectively ‘beat’ people who don’t (or won’t) use them at harvesting resources like White Glaze and so on. Wrong, wrong, wrong!

At the risk of throwing a verbal grenade into the conversation however, the people who I’d love CCP to have on their radar as the next priority (after 'bot users) are the thoroughly annoying idiots in CODE who dress up their repeated attacks on miners using well armed ships, which happen with utter impunity sometimes, as some kind of pseudo-religious crusade whereby they’re the ones who are ‘saving’ Eve.

I know lots of miners who have been caught up in these attacks who have never ever used 'bots (including me) and we now have a situation is some areas of space where they act as an effective Mafia-like organisation demanding ‘danger money’ from people to simply let them play. This extraction of money amounts to persistent harassment and griefing and bullying and yet CCP does nothing about it. It is definitely putting people off playing Eve and that is not a good thing at all both for CCP or for other players.

4 Likes

I always wonder why anyone would RMT in EVE. They always get caught eventually. I particularly like the fact that CCP report them to the relevant tax authorities. I understand that a ex-player and RMT in England lost his house to the tax man…he had to sell to pay the tax bill on his undeclared income.

RMT is the main reason that bot bans take a while as CCP take the time to investigate if its just a ‘harmless’ mining bot or part of a organized RMT system. When they take out a RMT or a bot program they want to trim the whole tree not just snip off a few twigs.

1 Like

CCP Peligro
CCP has banned ~23,000 accounts this year, so we’re not snoozing.

Ok - Now we know why the PCU has been down, the security team has been hard at work. Congrats and thanks for doing a good job.

23K - is equal to the average amount online early in my TZ. That is disturbing…

@ Memphis Baas

You’ve classified all these contracts as “RMT” and throughout this thread there’s the expectation that either:

a. CCP accepts your classification instead of their own investigation, and bans these accounts, faster.

b. If they don’t accept your evaluation of what’s RMT, they justify themselves to you, and reveal account information or details of their investigation of these accounts that are not your own.

Have you actually looked first hand at the contracts of the toon in question ingame?? If you have an alternatively reason why anyone would shift a trillion isk to 200 different players, with contracts where an ibis is exchanged for 8 bill within 2 minutes of being put up, then I would be interested in hearing it.

As for your a and b points, CCP don’t have to take my findings as read, they can and should do their own investigation… not only on the contracts at hand but if they deem them suspicious, how and who is passing the ‘seller’ toon the isk to enable him to in turn pass it on. If they find that my suspicions are correct or wrong, then all they need to say is we’ve investigated this matter and the matter is now closed. I am certainly never asking for chapter and verse or any account information.

In any case, Active ISK delta1 is banned accounts with ISK in their wallets

I would really like to hear confirmation of this, do you have a source you can link or others think its more about inactive accounts . If this is the amount of isk seized from banned accounts then its impressive and should be publicized by CCP. If its not, then it would be interesting and useful if CCP could record isk seized as its own indicator within the graph.

@ Olmeca Gold

Banning RMT accounts is not the same as banning bots. Many people do not RMT away the bot money

Agree totally with this

@ Mu_ad_Diib

Agree with your points.

@ Prt Scr

I always wonder why anyone would RMT in EVE. They always get caught eventually. I particularly like the fact that CCP report them to the relevant tax authorities. I understand that a ex-player and RMT in England lost his house to the tax man…he had to sell to pay the tax bill on his undeclared income.

Is this really true or is it an urban myth. ? Would love it if it was true but suspect its more of a myth… do you have any source info?

Anyway…

Logged into today and the bots I’m fighting with are still hard at work. Printscreen of Amarr Medium Control Towers where all the buy orders other than mine are bots, and yes, I definitely know they are bots because I’ve been competing against them for 6 months now. If you don’t believe me put a buy order of your own up just over theirs and they will beat it within 4 minutes regardless of what time of day you do it… All the POS control towers buys and sells are full of them. For some strange reason the bots prefer to set their buy order purchase period for 3 days. Not every single purchase order but 95% of them. Any ideas why this is the case???

Printscreen Amarr Control Tower Mediums showing bot orders https://www.imageupload.co.uk/image/DbhU

2 Likes

No idea, but those 3d buy orders are present for many items, and I agree, sometimes they act like bots. But there are also quiet periods where my orders are not outbid immediately.

Very difficult to catch, @all what would be your ideas to make market bots not viable? I don’t think only trying to detect them will be a feasible solution in the long run.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying all 3d buy orders are bots and all 89d are human :slight_smile: Its just from my experience, whoever is running the bots that I’m having problems with, and they are definitely co-ordinated, they seem to prefer 3d buy orders. Whether the ones you are seeing with your own orders are bots is something you need to explore yourself.

In the old days with bots you would have a single bot which would run its programme every 5 minutes to check it was in top spot, and if it wasn’t adjust accordingly. This however meant they were easy to spot and required to have large buy orders otherwise they would empty soon.

In the case of Amarr Medium Towers and many other similar items- What they are doing here is there are infact 8 toons, working in co-ordination, each running bot programmes. Each programme runs say 30 minutes apart, staggered with the other toons so at least one runs every 5 minutes. If you try and beat the existing buy order one of them will run and piggyback over yours. You increase again and 5 or 6 minutes later another will piggy back your order again. With time, their buy orders, which are kept low I guess so not to draw attention to themselves… and maybe incase of manipulation, are fulfilled and as a result time gaps appear in their staggered formation, resulting in delays in the piggy back…

You can push buy prices up by setting up a single buy order above theirs, but they have their software set with a ceiling which I think is around 10 mill below the lowest sell. So with Amarr mediums, you could probably push it up to around 175 / 176 and they will follow (I’ve done this with many of their items to try and reduce their profit margins). Once you push up the price you can then remove your order and they in turn won’t drop theirs as its not wired to do that, they sit at the inflated price until order fulfilled or someone physically spots it their side, which doesn’t happen often.

Anyway, I’ve left Amarr mediums alone so if anyone wants have a play with them, help yourself

You don’t need 8 chars … just 8 orders. When I’m playing the market I split my sell stacks and issue as many buy orders as necessary to ensure me top position all the time.

BTW, I’ve seen 3d buy orders being reduced in price when a certain low profit margin is reached. But as I’m not a bot and not online 24/7 I can’t tell if they are human or not.