EVE Gate Shutdown – Wednesday September 27th

Did you see the link Steve posted?

1 Like

:thinking: >>>>>>> :smile:

1 Like

Sure did, I am looking at it now.

That said, it doesn’t change how CCP is handling the problem, which is poorly in case you couldn’t pick that up from the tone and direction of the responses.

Bottom line is CCP is ripping a tool away, with 2 days notice and a snarky attitude from the Community Manager. Doesn’t seem like a customer 1st mindset toward the people paying the bills.

15 Likes

Did you guys forget to add “We also made it so wrecks take a minute to lock”?

Give us numbers please.

1 Like

I’m wondering if you’re new here.

2 Likes

Third party is working on a desktop option that CCP took away that they had, and at really short notice. Nice to see it being endorsed by an ISD, but would you also have comment on the following?

1: the really short term warning of the loss of this service

2: the pretty snarky comment by Falcon over someone’s legitimate grievance (especially considering the mobile app is not working as intended despite Falcon’s post that it should be. Hopes and prayers are real nice but don’t magic away issues that are still there right now)

If the official alternative is still not up to snuff, what does it matter the other reasoning why someone might avoid it? It’s not like you can say with a bare face it’s a viable alternative… oh wait. He did.

5 Likes

LOL. Sadly I am a 9 year vet with a couple of breaks. I just figured someone has to be the idealistic voice and it was my turn since I’ve not done it before.

2 Likes

@CCP_Falcon . How are you still allowed to interact with the customers? You have the worst attitude and tact. Heck I don’t think even a monkey could do that bad. Smart ass replys are not the best customer service.

18 Likes

I would certainly like to install this app on my iPad Pro running iOS 11 but it doesn’t show up in the App Store on that device. Have you updated the Portal’s App Store details to indicate iOS 11 compatibility (assuming it IS compatible)? It would be nice to be able to install it on my iPad, read messages there, and use a proper keyboard to respond to them. These old eyes and fingers have no desire to do that on the tiny screen of my phone except when absolutely necessary.

And just to add some perspective on phone use: not all of us live in constant contact with our phones. No cell service where I live and I often don’t leave the farm for a week or more, which is why I still use my relatively ancient iPhone 4S. It’s mostly a paperweight except when I’m out in civilization. I’m not going to use my tiny old iPhone 4S screen with my home wifi just to read emails and certain never to respond to them using the microscopic keyboard. I’d much rather use the app on the shiny 10.5" screen of my tablet–that also has an actual keyboard.

I am not sorry to see EVE Gate go. I used it daily, but it’s shortcomings annoyed me every time.

6 Likes

EvE mobile app is not working on iOS 7.1, not even the meta-forums are working - do we have to buy a new mobile now for using it?! :frowning:

Obviously. Join the 21st century

6 Likes

Based on the OP it looks like there was a critical issue that needed to be addressed quickly.

I don’t see the huge issue here with regards to web-based mail because there isn’t really a loss of functionality. They gave developers the tools to read and send Eve mails through ESI, meaning any developer can create a website to securely allow you to have Eve Gate mail functionality. Even right now, you can go to a third party website and be able to read and send Eve mail from your browser. Steve’s site is one example of this.

Can I take away your car and give you the parts?

9 Likes

Thsi guy is drinking the cool aid. Logic won’t work here.

Thanks ISD Fractal. Please allow us to continue discussing with CCP Falcon.

1 Like

I think he made a tactical retreat after landing that answer.

5 Likes

Thanks for not replying to the things I was seeking a response on, and for instead replying to a thing I quite clearly didn’t need extra clarification on

7 Likes

Some of the issues were on the backend, rather than the client.

Updating the backend wouldn’t update the client’s last update time.

2 Likes

I know right? Why would giving access to your evemail to a random third-party be an issue? Seriously I have nothing here.

Off to code an evemail portal.o7 (this was a joke CCP, I don’t plan on spying on anyone, plzdontban)

9 Likes

Hmmm, good question.

I’m not sure why it’s not showing up - will check with the team working on it and see why that might be. It might be because it’s not flagged as compatible with iOS 11 as you pointed out.

I’m also super sad to see EVE Gate go too, it’s super rough having to chop and change between accounts at work when I need to EVEmail people in game from my dev account - In the past I’ve always used web based EVEmail, because I send a LOT of EVEmails :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve flagged the lack of web based EVEmail with our web team though, and as I said in the original post, it’s something they’ll be looking into soon hopefully.

6 Likes

It is sad when you make flippant remarks about phones capable of accessing the internet.

My Blackberry Passport is a wonderfully productive device, and have no trouble accessing EVE Gate currently, yet due to restrictions on android will never be able to run EVE Portal.

I wait for your future comments about individuals that don’t live in the 21st century with proper hardware, when the DX9 phaseout is complete and all the MacOS and Linux users are left without a workaround and unsub their accounts.

8 Likes