Utari's Puppies (Formerly Off-Topic Thread)

I’m not really inclined to agree.

1 Like

It’s not that she believes that, Teinyhr. It’s that as long as they’re nice to her, and she doesn’t have to witness unpleasantness in her immediate surroundings… she doesn’t care.

3 Likes

Hm … I think it’s maybe more a matter of, I don’t see the Empire just as a single “thing.” It’s more like an enormous, scattered crowd of all kinds of different people. There are loyal Sarum vassals like Lady Admiral Newelle, who see no place for, and maybe not much value in, peace, but, actually, they’re a minority, now. Most of the royal Houses listened to old Emperor Heideran VII, the peacemaker, and his Pax Amarria. So did a lot of commoners, like Directrix Daphiti. Some of those people are more influential than others, but, they all have their own eyes and ears.

Certainly a culture can have a character all its own, but, it can also change over time. … not fast, necessarily. It seems like the Caldari and Gallente haven’t shifted all that meaningfully since the end of the Great War; the Minmatar have kind of been finding their feet and recovering their past. Out of all the major cultures in New Eden, I actually think in the last couple centuries it’s the Amarr who’ve changed the most, despite their reputation for being slow to change. I’m pretty curious what they might be like in another couple hundred years, though I doubt I’ll be there to see.

It used to be, I saw the Amarr the way you do, Ms. Teinyhr, or the way Ms. Arrendis does-- or maybe, more accurately, Ms. Priano. I was afraid of them. Or, my predecessor was. I thought, given the chance, they’d eat the whole world.

I came here to test my perceptions-- to see whether what I “knew” was really true.

Well … I was right and wrong, in a bajillion tiny ways. Maybe the Empire would still swallow the world if it could, but, even with the biggest military in New Eden, I don’t think it has such a huge mouth. At the same time, it’s also livelier and more, well, human, than I ever expected.

It’s not a monster, Ms. Teinyhr; it’s a country, a nation. There are universities here, and hamlets, and so many different ways to live. It’s full of all kinds of people.

I wonder a little, whether actually it was my own fears that made me a little vulnerable to this place, and its people: whether I was so prepared to face trillions of Mitara Newelles that I wasn’t prepared for Lunarisse Daphiti. Maybe my own harsh expectations kept me unprepared for some of the gentler realities.

… not too unprepared, though. Even now, and sometimes to the distress of some of the less-patient orthodox Amarr, I’m still an Achur.

I don’t mind peaceful attempts to make a convert out of me. That doesn’t mean I have to make it easy.

2 Likes

I’m sorry that you have a headache, Mr. Shutaq. At least people are still discussing the topic you brought up. There may be no finalized solution yet, but the the right solution would have to prevent all out war, free the slaves in a timely and humane fashion, not change what is good in the Amarr, and a few other things. It’s just that nobody can agree how best to any of those.

Aren’t you on leave, anyhow? Why are you here beating your head, or do you enjoy inflicting pain on yourself? :wink:

2 Likes

People can’t even agree on whether or not that’s mutually exclusive.

2 Likes

In know, right?

2 Likes

If stuff like this were easy it’d be done already.

1 Like

Not with that kind of attitude it wouldn’t! So defeatist.

2 Likes

It’s so awful when people won’t just sit quietly and behave how you wish them to isn’t it? If only you could just enslave them all and tell them what to say.

5 Likes

In fairness, this is the biggest reason I get annoyed at fleets while I’m in command comms. All the idiots won’t shut up.

… and the regular fleet members are pretty spergy, too.

2 Likes

Sometimes fleet members don’t follow simple instructions like “only shoot what the FC broadcasts” which I’m somewhat surprised hasn’t caused a diplo incident yet.

1 Like

Shooting what they’re not supposed to, taking gates and jump bridges they’re not supposed to, broadcasting for bomb damage…

2 Likes

Something something kick CONDI.

1 Like

That being said FCs aren’t perfect either one time the FC took the fleet to the wrong system due to only getting the first two letters of the system name. I even found This game on the GalNet about mistakes made on fleets.

2 Likes

Kick Waffe.

Oh my dog, no. But you know what’s the worst? Senior FCs on fleets they’re not running. I swear, sometimes I think there’s a ‘how can we piss off Arrendis?’ game going on among the FCs, and they’re trying to see if they can pod me through sheer blood pressure.

2 Likes

Every time someone tries to rationalize the fact they’re an egregious tire-fire of ratshit garbage, I want to either laugh or die. I usually can’t pick which.

5 Likes

This … seems like it could be about a few different things, or people, Charles.

It seems like a lot of us could be considered tire-fires of ratshit garbage by someone, and most of us (with some exceptions) don’t feel like we’re really bad people, so…

1 Like

No, I just find it tiresome when people need to reevaluate political realities every few days before remembering we don’t want to conquer the State.

1 Like

I’m the one true tire-fire of ratshit garbage here, and I’ll fight anyone who disagrees.

4 Likes

For some reason I just love this phrase. It’s a pile of things that usually annoy me-- cuteness as something inherently unserious; small size and emotional pain as reasons to dismiss someone.

I somehow like it anyway. (Hm. Maybe less now that I’ve spelled all that out.)

(It wasn’t spoken to me, if you’re wondering.)

2 Likes