Ships & Modules

^ Back to top

Topic is locked indefinitely.

bomber setup to hunt cruisers in hi sec...

Author
RvB - RED Federation
#1 Posted: 2012.04.12 15:43
I am thinking of trying some fun hi sec pvp. I would prefer to use stealth bombers with t2 Torps launchers and a covert op cloak to hunt war targets in cruisers. Is this possible or are cruisers just too small to take out with Torps?
#2 Posted: 2012.04.12 16:03
Solo bombers have a very hard time killing anything with guns smaller than a battleship's, and anything with drones. On top of that, cruisers tend to be rather fast, and can be quite nimble, so no, torps are not right for killing cruisers.

Torps can work, of course, but you need some form of tackle with webs and possibly a target painter. I wouldn't put my money on being able to solo a cruiser.
Rifterlings - newbie-friendly swashbuckling corp ("weflyrifters" in-game channel). Join today! www.rifterlings.com

Accidentally The Whole Frigate (blog) - Learning how to pew pew, one loss at a time - www.thewholefrigate.com
Heretic Initiative
#3 Posted: 2012.04.12 16:17  |  Edited by: Liang Nuren
I solo roam in a bomber, but I tend to avoid cruisers. My favored targets are BCs and BSs because they actually take enough DPS from the torps to be meaningful. I've solo'd Hurricanes and Harbingers with a Manticore, and by the numbers it looks like the Purifier should be able to take a Drake. Tier 3s are all cake except the Talos, but even that is doable.

Anyway, I run with:

Manticore
3 Arby Siege, cloak, probe laucher
AB, Scram, Painter, MSE
2 BCU
2 ACR

Overheat the Siege and AB - they'll last the whole fight. Beware dual web armor AB Hurricanes. ;-)

-Liang

Ed: There's a hound that I use too, but I don't have the fit off the top of my head like the Manticore. I've probably got a dozen Manticores fit this way. Its also worthwhile to have someone rock a MWD/2 ECCM/Disruptor Manticore in a bomber gang. **** Falcons.
#4 Posted: 2012.04.12 20:02
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Solo bombers have a very hard time killing anything with guns smaller than a battleship's, and anything with drones. On top of that, cruisers tend to be rather fast, and can be quite nimble, so no, torps are not right for killing cruisers.

Torps can work, of course, but you need some form of tackle with webs and possibly a target painter. I wouldn't put my money on being able to solo a cruiser.

This.

Bombers are better served hunting hulks/haulers. BC's are ripe targets as well, but you have to pick your targets carefully. BS killing in pairs/trips is pretty fun too - especially big arty minnie ships.
Aegis Requiem
#5 Posted: 2012.04.12 20:35
Liang Nuren wrote:
I solo roam in a bomber, but I tend to avoid cruisers. My favored targets are BCs and BSs because they actually take enough DPS from the torps to be meaningful. I've solo'd Hurricanes and Harbingers with a Manticore, and by the numbers it looks like the Purifier should be able to take a Drake. Tier 3s are all cake except the Talos, but even that is doable.

Anyway, I run with:

Manticore
AB, Scram, Painter, MSE
2 BCU
2 ACR

Overheat the Siege and AB - they'll last the whole fight. Beware dual web armor AB Hurricanes. ;-)

-Liang

Ed: There's a hound that I use too, but I don't have the fit off the top of my head like the Manticore. I've probably got a dozen Manticores fit this way. Its also worthwhile to have someone rock a MWD/2 ECCM/Disruptor Manticore in a bomber gang. **** Falcons.

I know I am a newb but can you tell me what MSE and ACR stand for?
I figured out the rest.

Also why no bomb launcher? Instead you have a probe luncher (I am sure to hunt down mission runners and the like) but I was told that bombs are very important to use on a SB?

I wil have the skill to fit and fly a Manticore this weekend. Cloak lvl 4 will done shortly.
#6 Posted: 2012.04.12 20:40
MSE = Medium shield extender

ACR = Ancillary current router (rig)
#7 Posted: 2012.04.12 20:41
Twulf wrote:
Liang Nuren wrote:

Anyway, I run with:

Manticore
AB, Scram, Painter, MSE
2 BCU
2 ACR

-Liang

I know I am a newb but can you tell me what MSE and ACR stand for?
I figured out the rest.

Also why no bomb launcher? Instead you have a probe luncher (I am sure to hunt down mission runners and the like) but I was told that bombs are very important to use on a SB?

I wil have the skill to fit and fly a Manticore this weekend. Cloak lvl 4 will done shortly.

MSE: Medium Shield Extender (i.e. a passive tanking set up)
ACR: Ancillary Current Router (i.e. increased cap, useful for ships that need lows for armor tanks)

Bomb launchers have their uses. But in PvP, particularly solo or small gang, torp fits are better.
Aegis Requiem
#8 Posted: 2012.04.12 21:14
Thanks for the quick information guys.
RvB - RED Federation
#9 Posted: 2012.04.12 21:18
Also, remember that bombs can only be used in nul or wormhole space.

For hi sec, no sense hunting with a bomb launcher you can't use.
Minmatar Republic
#10 Posted: 2012.04.12 21:22
Kalli Brixzat wrote:
Bomb launchers have their uses. But in PvP, particularly solo or small gang, torp fits are better.

I thought bombs can't be used in Hisec?
#11 Posted: 2012.04.12 21:33
Ettu Brute II wrote:
Kalli Brixzat wrote:

Never said they could. Small gang PvP is not limited solely to hi- or low-sec.
#12 Posted: 2012.04.12 22:55  |  Edited by: Robert Caldera
if you want to go after cruisers, bombers are a very very bad choice.
Anything smaller BC will **** you, and some BC too (hurricane).
#13 Posted: 2012.04.13 08:20
Kalli Brixzat wrote:
Ettu Brute II wrote:
Kalli Brixzat wrote:

But the title is 'bomber setup to hunt crusiers in high sec'
Now, more than ever, we need a dislike button.
Heretic Initiative
#14 Posted: 2012.04.13 15:53
Robert Caldera wrote:

You can generally down a shield cane before it does much to you. An Armor cane is bad news bears. Don't **** with armor canes in a close range frigate.

-Liang
#15 Posted: 2012.04.13 16:44
ACE McFACE wrote:
Kalli Brixzat wrote:
Ettu Brute II wrote:
Kalli Brixzat wrote:

But the title is 'bomber setup to hunt crusiers in high sec'

1. Discussions go off on tangents. That happened here.

2. Bombers don't only equip bombs. Story at 11.
#16 Posted: 2012.04.13 18:07
The signature radius of Cruisers varies a lot more de facto than frigates (always to small), BS/caps/industrials (always big enough), or even BCs (generally fine, but with some exceptions given fit). So going after a cruiser in an SB is something of a hit-or-miss proposition, especially since they can generally shoot back effectively to one degree or another.

That said, SBs are plenty cheap (equivalent to a decently-fit cruiser in price, generally), so go for it. Remember to stick a couple painters on your fit where applicable to stack the deck a bit, work out the mechanics of what your target is flying to extend your kinda nonexistent defense, and roll with it. Or, alternately, grab a friend, SB is fun solo but it tends to WIN more often with a buddy or two.
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#17 Posted: 2012.04.13 19:38
Don't use a stealth bomber in highsec, they just aren't effective at doing anything, you'd be better off solo in an Assault Ship and better off in a fleet in a Electronic Attack Ship. Now if you can fly a recon you should give a Pilgrim a try, they are fairly good solo ships.
#18 Posted: 2012.04.13 22:42
Liang Nuren wrote:
Robert Caldera wrote:

You can generally down a shield cane before it does much to you. An Armor cane is bad news bears. Don't **** with armor canes in a close range frigate.

-Liang

How do you handle drones in a solo bomber? From my experience light drones will tear you up before you can kill anything, and any bc or bs can (and usually does) carry at least 5 light drones.
Heretic Initiative
#19 Posted: 2012.04.13 22:46
PotatoOverdose wrote:
Liang Nuren wrote:
Robert Caldera wrote:

-Liang

How do you handle drones in a solo bomber? From my experience light drones will tear you up before you can kill anything, and any bc or bs can (and usually does) carry at least 5 light drones.

They aren't as much of an issue as you'd think - no idea why. Most of the time people don't even remember to launch them when you strike from cloak and start ripping huge holes out of their shields - but even the ones that do tend not to be that successful with them.

Maybe its the AB?

-Liang
#20 Posted: 2012.04.14 01:16
thats what i want to use for some pvp, thanks op, for reminding me these damn things even exist.
That's a Templar, an Amarr fighter used by carriers.