EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Greenscreening Coming to EVE Online

First post
Author
Gallente Federation
#61 - 2012-07-05 22:55:24 UTC
Morganta wrote:
really though people, chromakey (eg: bluescreen greenscreen) is a technology more conducive to video, not still images.

its fishing with dynamite, you learn a lot and its fun, but its way overkill for what you are trying to accomplish.

rototools and magic wands are a much better and less intensive route than trying to key a static image.

not saying it wont work, but do you jack up your car with a jack or a construction crane when you have a flat?
You, sir, are a negative nancy.
Gallente Federation
#62 - 2012-07-13 17:48:20 UTC
Greenscreening has made it to Sisi. Barring any bugs, it should be in the Late Summer update.

Woot!
RvB - BLUE Republic
#63 - 2012-07-15 09:02:16 UTC
Cryten Jones wrote:
CCP karkur wrote:
I ....snip...

I hope we can add this, but it would never go in as a selectable background... you could never save your character with this ugly background, and it would be only available if you had some prefs flag set.

How about having the rendering server that does the hi detail portraits just generate a green screen one that can be downloaded from eve gate or account management?

Or better yet, a high res PNG of our full character, and another of our portrait complete with alpha channel?
#64 - 2012-07-15 09:14:17 UTC
So you fellows have time to do useless stuff like this but no time to fix Corporate role system, bring in treaties systems on alliances, etc...?

WTF are you devs doing in payed time? Starts to sound like agile methods are used to avoid things that really are hard and need fixing and do stuff thats useless and easy...

We are Minmatar, Our ship are made of scraps, but look what our scraps can do...

C C P Alliance
#65 - 2012-07-15 16:55:22 UTC
Dasola wrote:
So you fellows have time to do useless stuff like this but no time to fix Corporate role system, bring in treaties systems on alliances, etc...?

WTF are you devs doing in payed time? Starts to sound like agile methods are used to avoid things that really are hard and need fixing and do stuff thats useless and easy...
I beg to differ that this is a useless feature; it was requested by players, well argued what the usage and benefit would be, and has the potential to facilitate player generated content.

CCP karkur was able to quickly implement this feature with some input from CCP t0rfifrans and testing from CCP RedDawn. The things you mention would require a larger team with game designers, server programmers and web developers, and would require more incubation time in dev blogs, forums discussions and testing on SiSi. They are on our radar for the future but why should that block us from working on these smaller items that provide value?

Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson | Senior Development Director | EVE Online // CCP Games | @CCP_Explorer

The Mockers AO
#66 - 2012-07-15 18:08:57 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
Bloodpetal wrote:
The portrait editor needs the green screen tool... Otherwise we can't control expressions in the main editor. Meaning that if I wanted to do expression based animation (perhaps even try to do talking avatars), it's not going to happen.

As morganta said... yes, Green Screening should directed towards video and animation based stuff.

I have plans to do a stop motion with the portrait editor (and have had for about 6 months now) one of my first challenges in the workflow was to find a portrait background that let me easily key out the backgrounds.

portrait, customization, identity and character preview will all have green backgrounds (I don't want to promise that this will be in the next release, but at least it has been checked in, so let's hope it all works so we can get it out to youSmile)

Awesome :)

Been busy sorry I missed this post sooner!

Excited to see this and hope I can have some fun stuff. Doing full body possible animations isn't gonna be a likelihood i imagine >.>

Can't wait to play with this when you make it for sure :)

Where I am.

C C P Alliance
#67 - 2012-07-15 18:19:12 UTC
Bloodpetal wrote:

I think this is on Sisi now (I'm on vacation so I don't really know what's going onP, but based on the discussion on new features in the Test section I'm guessing we have the new stuff on Sisi P)

CCP karkur | Programmer | Team Five 0 | @CCP_karkur

C C P Alliance
#68 - 2012-07-15 18:37:06 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Explorer
CCP karkur wrote:
Bloodpetal wrote:
I think this is on Sisi now (I'm on vacation so I don't really know what's going onP, but based on the discussion on new features in the Test section I'm guessing we have the new stuff on Sisi P)
Yes, the EVE-2012-R6-FLORENCE release is on SiSi right now (branched off on 11 July).

Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson | Senior Development Director | EVE Online // CCP Games | @CCP_Explorer

Gallente Federation
#69 - 2012-07-15 19:01:37 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:

Yep. http://poeticstanziel.blogspot.ca/2012/07/greenscreening-on-sisi.html

And a big thanks to you for getting it done so quickly. And to those that gave you the development time to do it.
Gallente Federation
#70 - 2012-07-15 19:19:21 UTC
The only thing cooler than this is if CCP would one day turn its in house movie making kit over to the players. Not for me cause I'd have no clue. But for all the people like the gang at Clear Skies, so they could use EVE Avatars and more cinematic in space sequences.
#71 - 2012-07-20 06:12:41 UTC
George K'ntara wrote:
The only thing cooler than this is if CCP would one day turn its in house movie making kit over to the players. Not for me cause I'd have no clue. But for all the people like the gang at Clear Skies, so they could use EVE Avatars and more cinematic in space sequences.

Well since Valve did it....

There is some hope that Valve starts a trend...

The Drake is a Lie

Vae. Victis.
#72 - 2012-07-20 07:03:12 UTC
CCP Explorer wrote:
Dasola wrote:

I beg to differ that this is a useless feature; it was requested by players, well argued what the usage and benefit would be, and has the potential to facilitate player generated content.

CCP karkur was able to quickly implement this feature with some input from CCP t0rfifrans and testing from CCP RedDawn. The things you mention would require a larger team with game designers, server programmers and web developers, and would require more incubation time in dev blogs, forums discussions and testing on SiSi. They are on our radar for the future but why should that block us from working on these smaller items that provide value?

They mostly come out at night.... mostly.....

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

RvB - BLUE Republic
#73 - 2012-07-23 11:21:08 UTC
Errm, how about expanding this to the ship renders too? perhaps an option on the image server to render with alpha or green. Would love to be able to get just the ship render without the similarly coloured and non-uniform background that makes extracting just the ship from the picture a game time stealing chore.
#74 - 2012-07-23 12:04:12 UTC
CCP Explorer wrote:
Dasola wrote:

nice
#75 - 2012-09-24 02:58:23 UTC
Marduua Damman wrote:
Errm, how about expanding this to the ship renders too? perhaps an option on the image server to render with alpha or green. Would love to be able to get just the ship render without the similarly coloured and non-uniform background that makes extracting just the ship from the picture a game time stealing chore.

I LOVE this idea. a few weeks ago i spent over 20 hours cleaning ships. this is DEF a item we can use!
Working Stiffs
#76 - 2012-09-24 04:07:16 UTC
Green or blue screen (a.k.a. chroma keying) works because the colour is far from skin tones.

However I've seen some avatars that might cross that line Blink
Tiger Would
#77 - 2012-09-24 04:41:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Tiger Would
CCP Punkturis wrote:

I feel a little bit sorry for her for wearing this at a beach Sad

Yes me to....

So, since I could not sleep.....I figured I'de give her a bathing suit

Edit: Not perfect yet....few small in-perfections,,,,,but to tired now

Once you think you have it all, you have actually become ignorant towards everything else.

T. Would

Tiger Would
#78 - 2012-09-24 10:41:38 UTC
Tiger Would wrote:
CCP Punkturis wrote:

I feel a little bit sorry for her for wearing this at a beach Sad

Yes me to....

So, since I could not sleep.....I figured I'de give her a bathing suit

Edit: Not perfect yet....few small in-perfections,,,,,but to tired now

Had to finish it......

Once you think you have it all, you have actually become ignorant towards everything else.

T. Would

Explicit Associates
#79 - 2012-09-24 11:23:36 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
I should add that this is just on my computer and has not been checked in or anything, or formally accepted "feature".
I really like the idea though (and CCP t0rfiFrans too), and I had some free time last night so I decided to try it out.

I hope we can add this, but it would never go in as a selectable background... you could never save your character with this ugly background, and it would be only available if you had some prefs flag set.

it would be cool if u could have options to set your background scene to scenes from a dust player's perspective.

instead of the limited backgrounds currently available perhaps CCP could port some of the background image files from dust 514 to eve online so i could have a pic with my avatar with a dust 514 background on a planet with say 2 suns setting over the horizon as we would see it if we were playing with our eve character on a dust 514 planet map
Caldari State
#80 - 2012-09-24 12:24:29 UTC
Is this a late April's fool joke?

Probably the worst of the most pathetic pilots in New Eden.