EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE Fiction Contest - Extreme graphics card, EON subscriptions & 26 bil isk in prizes!

First post
Author
It Burns When I'm PvPing
#41 - 2012-10-25 00:33:59 UTC  |  Edited by: MItchell Jensen
Can I submit the same story in a different category?
Is there a maximum submission point?
Do I need to be absolutely cannon? Because EVE Lore has much that isn't discussed in detail.
I already have an eve-online crossover fanfiction published on the internet at this time. The characters in the story aren't human. Would my story not be considered if a different version of it is uploaded somewhere else?

CCP Dropbear: rofl

edit: ah crap, dev account. Oh well, official rofl at you sir.

It Burns When I'm PvPing
#42 - 2012-10-25 00:41:13 UTC
Tali Ambraelle wrote:
Only 5000 words??? Eek...that's one hell of a challenge.

Edit: I'm not trolling about the word limit. Seriously that's less than a post...I don't suppose that word limit might change at all? Shocked

I agree. My stories usually round off about 10k with a proper storyline and ending. This'll put me into one shot mode, which I'm not exactly used to, and will be really really really short and wierd to read.

CCP Dropbear: rofl

edit: ah crap, dev account. Oh well, official rofl at you sir.

#43 - 2012-10-25 01:21:40 UTC
I think this is a fantastic idea and I'm eager to try my hand at writing proper Eve fiction instead of shoehorning a few blurbs into blog posts, lol.

For those of you who may be interested in giving this a try, but aren't overly familiar with Eve lore and not sure where to start, might I humbly suggest my Eve Lore Survival Guide? I cover all the basics of Eve lore, with a ton of cross references for anyone who wants to dig in more. It's available over at Freebooted in blog form, or available for download in PDF form from my website. For a basic table of contents:

1. EVE Online: The Greatest Story Still Being Told - Foreword by Seismic Stan

2. An Introduction (Basic information)

3. The Empires

4. The Frontier Organizations

5. Technology & Miscellany

Thanks for the contest, and best of luck to everyone!
#44 - 2012-10-25 01:41:02 UTC
Finished, with a modest 2,200 words. I'll have it edited and submitted by the middle of next week. :p
Eve Engineering
#45 - 2012-10-25 01:44:35 UTC
Mark726 wrote:
I think this is a fantastic idea and I'm eager to try my hand at writing proper Eve fiction instead of shoehorning a few blurbs into blog posts, lol.

For those of you who may be interested in giving this a try, but aren't overly familiar with Eve lore and not sure where to start, might I humbly suggest my Eve Lore Survival Guide? I cover all the basics of Eve lore, with a ton of cross references for anyone who wants to dig in more. It's available over at Freebooted in blog form, or available for download in PDF form from my website. For a basic table of contents:

1. EVE Online: The Greatest Story Still Being Told - Foreword by Seismic Stan

2. An Introduction (Basic information)

3. The Empires

4. The Frontier Organizations

5. Technology & Miscellany

Thanks for the contest, and best of luck to everyone!

Looks like a good guide for anyone really.
#46 - 2012-10-25 02:42:28 UTC
MItchell Jensen wrote:
Can I submit the same story in a different category?
Is there a maximum submission point?
Do I need to be absolutely cannon? Because EVE Lore has much that isn't discussed in detail.
I already have an eve-online crossover fanfiction published on the internet at this time. The characters in the story aren't human. Would my story not be considered if a different version of it is uploaded somewhere else?

-No, one story can only be used in one category, please.
-No, there's no maximum in the amount of entries. People can submit as much as they feel inspired to.
-No, not absolutely canon. It's just not possible, if anyone wanted to talk about a detail that isn't already covered in a canon piece. And it would cramp creativity a lot. Zapatero's guidelines for EON submissions is a good guide.
-Essentially, the contest entries need to be new creations. The idea is for people to start thinking, creating and writing between now and when the contest ends. Maybe the older work needs a follow up to the next progression in the story...? Smile
Amarr Empire
#47 - 2012-10-25 02:49:32 UTC
Telegram Sam wrote:
usrevenge wrote:
can we post it to this forum somewhere and just link it ( if the post date is after this date of course.)

Yes, it looks like posting your entry the EVE Fiction section will be OK. But please still send me an EVE mail with a link to the post, so we don't miss it.

of course, if I get hit with the need to write I will do it thanks.
#48 - 2012-10-25 05:29:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Nova Fox
Duplicated this to the Dust Bunnies maybe they can participate :P to bad the isk and plex rewards won't go into effect until post Dust 514 launch.

Err tried. we're having issues linking to eve online forums.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

#49 - 2012-10-25 05:55:15 UTC
This is going to be some good stuff and I look forward to the results.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Amarr Empire
#50 - 2012-10-25 07:05:25 UTC
Time to whip up a short story.
C C P Alliance
#51 - 2012-10-25 09:13:36 UTC
On the 5000 word limit everyone is asking about...

There are a few reasons for this:
1) Most of the official EVE Chronicles are no longer than this. A cursory glance at some of the longest found them to average around 3500-4000 for a single chron.
2) EON has limited space to publish fiction. 5000 words is actually rather long for them, most stories in there tend to be 3000 words or so.
3) Falcon and I have volunteered to judge this in addition to our regular work, which means we'll likely be reading a good number of them during our off hours. We expect a fairly hefty response to this contest, so significantly upping the number of words means it'll take us longer to read everything and thus longer to judge things.

Though I heartily recommend trying to work around the 3000-5000 word mark for short fiction. It's a nice, solid length for both retaining interest and keeping the story moving and punchy. I've written more short stories than I can count and it's helped me tremendously in my longer form work.

EVE Online/DUST 514 Community Representative ※ EVE Illuminati ※ Fiction Adept

@CCP_Eterne ※ @EVE_LiveEvents

#52 - 2012-10-25 11:32:50 UTC
Kumq uat wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Kumq uat wrote:
I was wondering if my story series would count. I wrote a series for Eve-Pirate awhile ago, fiction, set in the Eve Universe, but it was silly and definatly not canon. Would this be acceptable to enter?

Sorry, the entry needs to be a new work. It could be another story in your series, though.
By the way, if the new story is non-canon, there's a category for that.

Can't be bothered. I am working on my own science fiction series currently. Don't see why you can't accept a piece of work I did awhile ago.

It's pretty simple. If you win, why would they want to publish and already published piece in EON magazine? Look at it from their perspective...they don't want some other publication/websites sloppy seconds.

"The world as we know it came about through an anomaly (anomou)" (The Gospel of Philip, 1-5) 

#53 - 2012-10-25 11:35:58 UTC
Shouldn't this be stickied?

"The world as we know it came about through an anomaly (anomou)" (The Gospel of Philip, 1-5) 

Amarr Empire
#54 - 2012-10-25 13:01:38 UTC
Oh I am SO getting in on this. Awesome contest!!!
#55 - 2012-10-25 16:55:35 UTC
Loed Kane wrote:
wish i could join in on this contest but my spelling and Grammar suckkks

A good story is still a good story, even if the grammar isn't perfect. Spell check can take care of the spelling for you. Smile Same for people who don't speak English as a first language-- don't be shy.
Minmatar Republic
#56 - 2012-10-25 17:21:56 UTC
This sound p cool. I like the short word limit, good short stories are the best stories. Time to read up on wormholes and Gallente club culture
Goonswarm Federation
#57 - 2012-10-25 23:39:47 UTC
mmmh so hang on. do they define published as in a magazine... or published as in on a website etc? eg my stories are up on fanfiction. are they counting this as published or not?

SJ's Chronicles - http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2103579/CLS-SamuraiJack

#58 - 2012-10-26 00:31:14 UTC
SamuraiJack wrote:
mmmh so hang on. do they define published as in a magazine... or published as in on a website etc? eg my stories are up on fanfiction. are they counting this as published or not?

Yep, that would count as 'published.' I've added a short wall of text (the stubbiest one possible) to the contest page to the clarify that entries should be brand-new works. But send a link to your older stories, if you want to share them as non-competition stories for the 'reading library.' And crank out a new story for the competition-- you still have 5 weeks. Smile
Snuffed Out
#59 - 2012-10-26 00:41:31 UTC
Telegram Sam wrote:
Loed Kane wrote:
wish i could join in on this contest but my spelling and Grammar suckkks

A good story is still a good story, even if the grammar isn't perfect. Spell check can take care of the spelling for you. Smile Same for people who don't speak English as a first language-- don't be shy.

Thanks Big smile ill give it a shot probably wont win but i have a really cool idea for a story will do my best :D
#60 - 2012-10-26 01:36:08 UTC
J Kunjeh wrote:
Kumq uat wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Kumq uat wrote:
I was wondering if my story series would count. I wrote a series for Eve-Pirate awhile ago, fiction, set in the Eve Universe, but it was silly and definatly not canon. Would this be acceptable to enter?

Sorry, the entry needs to be a new work. It could be another story in your series, though.
By the way, if the new story is non-canon, there's a category for that.

Can't be bothered. I am working on my own science fiction series currently. Don't see why you can't accept a piece of work I did awhile ago.

It's pretty simple. If you win, why would they want to publish and already published piece in EON magazine? Look at it from their perspective...they don't want some other publication/websites sloppy seconds.

It's also much easier to tell if the story is truly an original; with the (relative) anonymity of the EVE Online in particular, and the Web in general, it would be far too easy to lift an already-published work from another website. If that work happened to win a prize, the entrant would have ripped off someone else's work for a prize that he hadn't earned.