Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
3 PagesPrevious page123
 

Idea: The Strategic bomber - the hero EVE deserves

Author
#41 - 2012-11-06 19:54:13 UTC
turmajin wrote:
Have to say i agree that the idea for a anti capital /POS bomb ,and laucher fits far better on a black ops battleship imo.No need for a new ship at all ,As a black ops BS allready has the abilities you want ie cloak,able to jump and bridge its own covert ops support cruisies / frigates to tackle any support ships of the target capital ship / POS..Personnally i think its a marvalous idea for giving black ops BS a much needed role in game ,and giving PVP an added dimension to boot


I am concerned about cost and size. In many cases this will be a kamikaze mission and heavy losses should be expected. At 700 million a pop, using Black Ops would probably rise the level of cost too high for the have-nots to effectively employ them in the necessary numbers.
I also want ships that are small enough to not beeing locked in time and blapped by capital ships before the bombs goes off, because forcing a supercapital fleet to have a sizable sub-cap support fleet is one of the two main points of the entire idea.

Iris Bravemount wrote:

Don't you feel there is a slight contradiction here? It would be much more intuitive to make it a torpedo that has the same target limitations a DDD has (ie, no subcap targets allowed), and the explosion radius/velocity you suggested, with a reasonable cooldown timer.
There is no reason to make it a "bomb" (as in with the same mechanics as a stealth-bomber bomb).


I went with bomb because I wanted people to associate the idea with the kind of functionality allready in place in the form of stealth bombers using bombs againts densly packed sub cap ships. Besides, there are allready capital sized torpedoes in the game. But the name inst really that big of a deal.

Goonswarm Federation
#42 - 2012-11-09 03:17:51 UTC
Gogela wrote:
What about T2 caps?


Assuming that the cost would be similar to a jump freighter, do you honestly think that you'll see sizable fleets of these things that would only serve as 10bn ISK doomsday fodder when anyone with a brain would field supers instead?

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Gallente Federation
#43 - 2012-11-16 15:07:24 UTC  |  Edited by: turmajin
LtCol Laurentius wrote:
turmajin wrote:
Have to say i agree that the idea for a anti capital /POS bomb ,and laucher fits far better on a black ops battleship imo.No need for a new ship at all ,As a black ops BS allready has the abilities you want ie cloak,able to jump and bridge its own covert ops support cruisies / frigates to tackle any support ships of the target capital ship / POS..Personnally i think its a marvalous idea for giving black ops BS a much needed role in game ,and giving PVP an added dimension to boot

LT.COL Laurontius wrote
I am concerned about cost and size. In many cases this will be a kamikaze mission and heavy losses should be expected. At 700 million a pop, using Black Ops would probably rise the level of cost too high for the have-nots to effectively employ them in the necessary numbers.
I also want ships that are small enough to not beeing locked in time and blapped by capital ships before the bombs goes off, because forcing a supercapital fleet to have a sizable sub-cap support fleet is one of the two main points of the entire idea.

I take your point,but i dont think there would be many players able to handle a Black Ops BS ,who havent played the game for some time,and really should have a nice ISK balance to boot .After all the 1st rule in game is dont fly want you cant afford to lose.It would however open up possiblities for small gang warfare in the form of raiding,to take out Supers or POSes.You are also overloking the fact that the differance in ISK loss between a Super or POS compard to a Black Ops BS is more to the advantage of the attacker or nearly the same.Making it a nice option for corps to engage in this type of warfare.I dont really see fleets of black Ops BS engaging in this just 1 or 2 a raid /attack..Otherwise the ISK loss balance favours the defender.,and its not as appealing to corps to engage in it then.

Fidelas Constans
#44 - 2012-11-16 16:34:39 UTC
Ive not had any experience fighting titans but I like the sound of this idea. Perhaps though it could be set up more like a torpedo run in WW2, the would have to be launch from some distance, they would only run in a straight line and the target would need to employ maneuvering and counter measures in order to avoid all/some of the damage... the smaller ships that should be protecting the titan would need to then hunt the bombers.

OK, maybe not an ideal solution but you never know :P
#45 - 2012-11-17 03:21:52 UTC
turmajin wrote:
I take your point,but i dont think there would be many players able to handle a Black Ops BS ,who havent played the game for some time,and really should have a nice ISK balance to boot .After all the 1st rule in game is dont fly want you cant afford to lose.It would however open up possiblities for small gang warfare in the form of raiding,to take out Supers or POSes.You are also overloking the fact that the differance in ISK loss between a Super or POS compard to a Black Ops BS is more to the advantage of the attacker or nearly the same.Making it a nice option for corps to engage in this type of warfare.I dont really see fleets of black Ops BS engaging in this just 1 or 2 a raid /attack..Otherwise the ISK loss balance favours the defender.,and its not as appealing to corps to engage in it then.


The point here is to provide not-so-spacerich alliances comprised of people without 100 million skillpoints an option to inflict painful losses on your typical sov grinding supercapital fleet, but I dont see making 1-2 black ops powerful enough to kill a titan in any way balanced.

With a 3 million damage weapon you could need 30 strategic bombers to take out a really well tanked and linked Avatar for example. To pull it off in a high Tidi environment like a serious sov fight is likely to be happening in will require planning, coordination and good execution. It should be possible, but not a walk in the park. I see you have a pet in making the Black Ops more useful in small gang warfare, but I think the Black ops is best employed as a covert bridge in this scenario tbh.
3 PagesPrevious page123
Forum Jump