^ Back to top

Topic is locked indefinitely.

2 Pages12Next page

Veteran players see this thread.

Jump to first DEV post
Author
Caldari State
#1 Posted: 2012.11.26 19:11
Hi i'm a trial player nearly a week into my trial.

I'm enjoying the scope of the game but i have a few questions that i couldn't find the answer to via google.

I know about the different career choices such as mining, missioning, haul trading, station trading etc but can anybody give me average estimate of how much isk u can earn per hour with some facts.

for example, you could say lvl 4 agent missions earn about 5 million isk per hour etc

also, i'd like to know how easy the trades are to skill up for each profession.

ideally, i'd like some estimates on how much isk u can earn per hour within a timeframe with estimates ranging from average earning potential to maximum earning potential.

thanks a lot

i need to buy a good ship so whatever advice u can give me is much appreciated
Minmatar Republic
#2 Posted: 2012.11.26 19:18
The tech 1 frigate you're probably flying right now is a good ship, you don't need a "better" ship for the time being. Certainly not a bigger one.
#3 Posted: 2012.11.26 19:37
I'm just going by my experience with various alts, etc. I'll give you an avergae of what you would make per month, since hourly rates are somewhat mythical as they rarely take into account travel time and other assorted activities that eat into your time.

On a per hour basis, trading will be your best option and once you get it figured out, it's not that hard to make about 1-2 bil per month though I personally find it exceedingly tedious. The skills are quite easy to train and you can have very adequate skills to do so inside of a week. A successful trader needs to have solid knowledge of the game to determine demand, etc.

Incursions are still very good ISK and will hit that 2 bil per month total pretty easily, but sadly, this isn't an area where a new player can simply jump in. It is an option to shoot for after you've either outgrown (or grown bored) with either Exploration or Missions.

Mission Running or more appropriately, Loyalty Point grinding would be next and will make you about 1 bil or so per month pretty easily. It takes some skill and game knowledge, but it's not hard to do. It will take you a nice 150 mil nest egg to get started, but that will pay for itself pretty quickly.

Exploration is quite random and can meet or exceed LP grinding though sometimes you will get unlucky and miss the good loot. It's a lot of fun though and can lead into a lot of different areas of play.

Mission Running with Salvage/Loot recovery is less profitable than LP grinding (barring a Noctis Alt), but can still get you over 1 bil per month. Hourly rates of more than 50 mil get kicked around, but I'd wager 15-20 mil per hour is more reasonable.

Mining is quite a bit lower than these until you get into higher end play w/ Orca support. I mine in a very different fashion though, so maybe someone with more experience can give you better totals.

Hauling is pretty bad actually, unless you can start off with a nice 1 bil or more bankroll which will allow you to fail the occasional mission for profit.

A good ship huh? Well, what sort of ship? If you can be more specific about what you wish to do with said ship, why, my answer might be more helpful.
Quality Assurance
Northern Associates.
#4 Posted: 2012.11.26 20:09
What are your goals with the game?

Do you want to make the most money? Earn PLEX for free game time?

Any profession can make money but, it also requires skills and enough working capital. I want to make money but, that is just a means to afford blowing stuff up at this point.

I am cautious of new players that just want to make a lot of money. It can be very tedious to just grind away for a large wallet balance.
Start the day off slow and taper off from there.

http://eveboard.com/pilot/Ronix_Aideron
Caldari State
#5 Posted: 2012.11.26 20:48
My goal is to get enough isk to buy big fat ships like cronos with good weapons so I can go bounty hunting. Cronos prolly is too expensive for bounty hunting but I don't know better
#6 Posted: 2012.11.26 21:01  |  Edited by: J'Poll
Bigger =/= Always better.

As on what you can make:

Mining - Depends on your skill, the ship you fly, what you mine, what are the market prices
Trading - Depends on your skill, how much time you you put into it, what you trade, what the market prices are.

See the thing in there, it's hard to tell what you will make an hour cause it's really fluent. It's not a fixed mark as in Trading makes you xxx ISK/h while mining will make you yyy ISK/hour.
Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Ever wanted to PvP but can't find people to fly with.
Look no further and this chat: Redemption Road
The Devil's Tattoo
#7 Posted: 2012.11.26 21:46
Yep, let's go and recruit newbies on their own forum. What can go wrong with that?
Minmatar Republic
#8 Posted: 2012.11.26 21:59
Flying around highsec nicking everything that's not nailed down is fun Big smile
"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has? 
http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny
CODE.
#9 Posted: 2012.11.26 22:00
Well, good thing I was suggesting a profession and not recruiting for any corporation or alliance. :)
Highsec is owned by players now. Systems 0.5-1.0 are New Order Territory. All miners and other residents of Highsec must obey The Code. Mining without a permit is dangerous and harmful to the EVE community. See www.MinerBumping.com to learn more.
#10 Posted: 2012.11.26 22:05  |  Edited by: Xercodo
Market trading, one of the easiest to skill into but takes a lot more "player skill" to determine what to buy, what to sell, how much, and where. Can also be frustrating when you have a popular item that you keep getting under cut on by 0.01 ISK. However if you know your economics you can make billions rather easily with market trading.

PVE Combat, the middle ground on "player skill". It doesn't take much to understand how mission work, how combat mechanics work and which ammo to use, after that it's pretty much the same formula. The skills to train are among the highest as they include all the aspects of flying a ship, tanking, weapons, drones, and all the support skills like engineering and electronics skills. This category can be even more "player skill" and game skill intensive when you factor in doing exploration sites as this means learning how to scan well and adding in the associated skills to use the probes.

Mining, easiest "player skill" wise, moderate character training. Simply go out and shoot a laser at a rock for hours on end. The player skill comes in when determining how to fit, balancing tank and mining yield and finding the quieter systems that have larger roids and less gankers. Skills include refining and mining barge skills and some tank.

Manufacture, moderate in both player skill and character skill. You'll need some basic marketing know how to figure out how to sell the goods you make and buy the materials you need but likely won't be nearly as involved as full on marketeering. The skills you need are some basic trade skills and mostly production efficiency 5. Besides that you'll want Mass Production to be able to build more items at once but that scales with how much you're building. The skills get more intensive as you start trying to delve into T2 production as you'll need all sorts of science skills. Basic research skills to research the ME and PE of blueprints are advised as well. (ME: Materiel Efficiency, PE: Production Efficiency)
The Drake is a Lie
#11 Posted: 2012.11.26 22:33
Galaxy Pig wrote:
Well, good thing I was suggesting a profession and not recruiting for any corporation or alliance. :)

Too bad that your link goes to recruitment thread = recruitment.
Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Ever wanted to PvP but can't find people to fly with.
Look no further and this chat: Redemption Road
#12 Posted: 2012.11.26 23:13  |  Edited by: Merouk Baas
Let's see, my numbers may be off by a lot, but:

Mining - 2-5 mil/hr to start, maxed at 20-25 mil/hr after several months when you get exhumers etc. Higher if you're in an organized 0.0 mining op.

Missions - you do levels 1-3 to gain standings for level 4, at which point if you loot, salvage, and accumulate LP's probably 40-60? mil / hr, depending. Maybe more.

Trading - takes money to make money, typically 1-3% of your invested amount per day, sometimes A LOT more if you can corner or predict some change in the market. So, f.ex. if you're playing with 500 million, you may get 5-15 mil per day.

Manufacturing - depends on your blueprints, really. Tech 1 anything - hard to make money. Tech 2 / invention BPCs, depends on how desirable the modules are, and your access to cheap moon goo.

Suicide Ganking - typically you need a group or really good luck, and it depends on what the idiot that you caught was hauling.

Corp Theft / Scams - again, not a per hour thing, more like strike once and retire rich.

Null-sec ratting - 80+ mil / hour.

Complexes - depends on the level, and they require groups of people who know what they're doing, but they can be very lucrative, though I don't know the exact numbers. More than ratting or missions for sure though.

Let's see, what else? Piracy, war declaration extortion rackets, market or contract scamming, not entirely sure what those bring in, if anything.

EDIT: Oh, how long it takes to train. PVE activities aren't all that hard, you don't need the cutting-edge performance of PVP ships, so 4-6 months to a year to get to the upper income numbers, probably. Like, mining, you need Exhumers with a bunch of mining and trading skills trained up. Missions you need a battleship with decent gunnery, missiles/drones, and support skills. Etc.
Agony Empire
#13 Posted: 2012.11.26 23:21

Highsec Mining: 2-15m / hr. Potentially more, but only if you are highly skilled, role with a fleet, and maximize your mining.
Highsec LvL 4 Missioning: 15-50m / hr. Potentially more, but only if you're very serious about it & maximize your efficiency.
Highsec Incursions: 20-80m / hr. Potentially more, but this is highly dependent on the fleet you role with, the sites you run, etc...

Other means of Income aren't necessarily best measured in isk/hr.

For example,
Hauling (not NPC missions) often pays 250k isk per jump. Sometimes more, sometimes less, and only counts for one direction.

Trading depends on your ability to find cheap goods and resell them. There is a huge variation in profitability, depending on whether you treat this as passive income with your buy/sell orders, or whether you actively partake in the 0.01isk market PvP game.

Scamming depends on the ingenuity of the scam, and the number of marks you can find.

Plexing isk/hr depends on how lucky you are in loot drops, and the ability to find plexes.

There are also passive-ish sorts of income:
Manfucturing typically earns 10-200k isk / hour
PI often earns 0.5 (highsec) - 4 mil (nullsec) per day per planet....
Datacores don't earn all that much anymore (50k / day)...
S&I varies significantly in isk/hour. (sometimes you lose money doing it).

Go read the isk guide.... and that will give you a lot of other ideas. or invent your own... right now, extorting miners for isk by bumping them away from ice roids unless they pay you not to do so seems like a fun and interesting way to make money....

Fun is relative... and it really depends on what you enjoy doing.... and more probably, who you are doing it with...
#14 Posted: 2012.11.27 00:25
OP, many players in EVE - many - have lots of fun flying tech1 frigates almost always. Fast, relatively expendable frigates like the Rifter are flat-out fun. Don't rush into a bigger ship. As has been said, bigger is not necessarily better.
Minmatar Republic
#15 Posted: 2012.11.27 00:53
Tech3ZH wrote:
OP, many players in EVE - many - have lots of fun flying tech1 frigates almost always. Fast, relatively expendable frigates like the Rifter are flat-out fun. Don't rush into a bigger ship. As has been said, bigger is not necessarily better.

That's what she said but she's a lying ***** Evil
"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has? 
http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny
#16 Posted: 2012.11.27 00:56
The other think to consider is if you are time poor or time rich as well as what you enjoy doing. Don't do something boring just to make isk. For some who watches a few hours of tv a night mining is basically free isk. Get a mining ship with a large ore hold park next to some ice or veld and start mining. Watch tv, and check your ship during commercials. As long as you fit some shield or armor mods, and don't fly a pricey ship you are safe in High Security space. If you have less time and enjoy missions burn through a few missions every night. If you enjoy a little pvp on the side join faction warfare. It's not free isk any more but it's a good isk source you can earn with a cheap frigate. If you have limited time and enjoy spread sheets in space buy stuff cheap and put it back on the market for a little bit above market average and wait.

PS- The best way to make isk is actually to join a corp. A Null Sec corp will give you access to good ratting, great PI and often replace lost ships. A mission running corp will let you tag along and salvage level 4 missions. Mining corps will let you join fleet ops for mining bonuses or a cut of the ore if you are hauling. Just keep in mind anyone who asks you to pay to join or contract out your stuff is scamming you. If they ask you to fly out into LS or NS don't fly anything you can't afford to lose.
Former forum cheerleader CCP, now just a hopeful small portion of the community.
#17 Posted: 2012.11.27 01:15
TimezX Bworp wrote:
I know about the different career choices such as mining, missioning, haul trading, station trading etc but can anybody give me average estimate of how much isk u can earn per hour with some facts.

for example, you could say lvl 4 agent missions earn about 5 million isk per hour etc

Missioning at level 4 - 5m/h is not unreasonable
Hauling requires a lot of relationship cultivation and has low margins, depends how good at it you are
Station trading - short hauls help, has high margins, but requires a large initial capital investment and can also run a loss
Mining - is boring, don't do it!

The larger point here, though, is that it's not about making more isk than the other guy, it's about making more isk than the expenses associated with what you're doing. If you want to stick to frigates, you're probably sticking to level 1 and 2 missions for income, but the balance is that if you mostly fly frigates, you don't need more income than that.

Quote:
also, i'd like to know how easy the trades are to skill up for each profession.

L4 missioning requires a good quantity of sp investment along a general int/perception map, it can take some time but it's not, if you'll pardon the phrasing, rocket science.

Hauling requires an _enormous_ sp investment, you won't be able to make any money to speak of without a capital hauler, just because of the sheer volume of crap you have to move to profit substantially. For low/null stuff you'll likely want an alt and the ability to cyno jump as well.

Mining isn't terribly hard to 'level up', there are plenty of intermediate tiers of ships which are all viable, on any of which you can stop when you are lasering enough rocks for your satisfaction. Or you can take it all the way up to flying a hulk with six months or so of investment.

Trading requires almost no SP investment, but a fairly substantial ISK investment.

Quote:
ideally, i'd like some estimates on how much isk u can earn per hour within a timeframe with estimates ranging from average earning potential to maximum earning potential.

thanks a lot

i need to buy a good ship so whatever advice u can give me is much appreciated

Generally speaking, you can make enough money to pay off the activity itself pretty easily from mining, missioning, exploration, and trading. Possibly manufacturing. Going beyond "paying for itself" requires that you practice enough to get moderately good at whatever you're doing, or control the costs of any other activities you're doing that don't make you isk (usually PvP). specific numbers tend to be pretty meaningless since it's generally a matter of whether you can pay for the stuff you want or not, not achieving some sort of score.

As for good ships, pick a focus and stick with it and whatever you end up in will be good. For instance, if you like the look of Amarr ships and train ship skills, armor, and laser skills then there will be ships available at any size category that are good.
C C P Alliance
#18 Posted: 2012.11.27 09:38
Recruitment is not allowed in EVE New Citizens Q&A. I have deleted such posts.
EVE Online/DUST 514 Community Representative ※ EVE Illuminati ※ Fiction Adept

@CCP_Eterne ※ @EVE_LiveEvents
#19 Posted: 2012.11.27 09:53
The best career for newbies: ninja looting. Only required skills are salvaging level 1 and astrometrics, although MWD usage, a ship with a large cargo hold (eg. Kestrel) and a bit more probing skills are useful. Initial outlay is a T1 frigate, some salvagers and a probe launcher (preferably a separate probing ship)... around a mil should do it. Income is around 5-20 mil per hour, depending on luck (which missions you bust, how the mission runner reacts, etc).
The Devil's Tattoo
#20 Posted: 2012.11.27 10:35
Aptenodytes wrote:
The best career for newbies: ninja looting. Only required skills are salvaging level 1 and astrometrics, although MWD usage, a ship with a large cargo hold (eg. Kestrel) and a bit more probing skills are useful. Initial outlay is a T1 frigate, some salvagers and a probe launcher (preferably a separate probing ship)... around a mil should do it. Income is around 5-20 mil per hour, depending on luck (which missions you bust, how the mission runner reacts, etc).

Which may become quite problematic with new rats AI aggro but until you salvage already cleared rooms it can be a nice income and you also learn scanning ships which will come useful later when you decide go after juicy mission ships in low or null.
2 Pages12Next page