^ Back to top

Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ship Recommendations

Author
Minmatar Republic
#1 Posted: 2012.11.26 22:23
I'm a 2009 player using new characters.

I won't put up with Battle Clinic's BS.

Is there any way that I can get a ship recommendation based on my skills? From anywhere?

Use would be for mission runners, from Level 2 to Level 4.

T1 ships only.

The main runs a mission running corp, has 10 corps at Level 4 and is trying to bring more up.
Sky Syndicate
#2 Posted: 2012.11.26 22:33
Drake
Minmatar Republic
#3 Posted: 2012.11.26 22:38
I use a Drake, sometimes, for Level 3s, I'm more worried about Level 2s.

I've got a CNR for Level 4s, but I don't really like it.
Gallente Federation
#4 Posted: 2012.11.26 22:39  |  Edited by: Canabi
CNR seems to be a fairly popular choice.
I used a Domi for the drone space.
Drakes can passive tank easily
Could always save up for a Marauder.
Lost Obsession
#5 Posted: 2012.11.26 22:50
Well we don't know what your skills are but I'll give it a whirl.

Looks like your at least semi skilled in caldari/missles so lets see....

Level 2 missions you will find few ships murder them like a AML/RLM fitted caracal. Easily swats frigs down while having the dps to ruin cruisers also. Good range, enough tank.

Level 3 Just use a Drake. Even post "balance" it will crush them sleeping.

Level 4 the CNR is popular and will likely get more popular post HML nerf once all the tengu pilots have to make some choices. The navy scorp is another option with more tank and less gank. Golem is likely the best you can get for missle boats...

Personally I would train for a gunboat as your really limited on options with a cruise/torp/missle level 4 boat.
Minmatar Republic
#6 Posted: 2012.11.26 22:58
Sorry. I should have specified that I only work Hi Sec now.

I can live with the CNR until I find something I'm comfortable with.

Level 2s, though . . .

Moa, Gila, Caracal, Vexor, Celestis, Thorax, Blackbird, . . . . I'm just not satisfied. I like Phantasms, but Level 2s just don't seem to be worth the expense.
Minmatar Republic
#7 Posted: 2012.11.26 23:05
Nor Tzestu wrote:
Well we don't know what your skills are but I'll give it a whirl.

Looks like your at least semi skilled in caldari/missles so lets see....

Level 2 missions you will find few ships murder them like a AML/RLM fitted caracal. Easily swats frigs down while having the dps to ruin cruisers also. Good range, enough tank.

Level 3 Just use a Drake. Even post "balance" it will crush them sleeping.

Level 4 the CNR is popular and will likely get more popular post HML nerf once all the tengu pilots have to make some choices. The navy scorp is another option with more tank and less gank. Golem is likely the best you can get for missle boats...

Personally I would train for a gunboat as your really limited on options with a cruise/torp/missle level 4 boat.

Gunboat as in frigate? Or gunboat as in boat with lots of gun slots?

Gunboats are cool in either case. I can fly Ishtar, Ishkur, but I HATE losing them.

Was thinking about a HAC but it would take forever to pay for itself.

Oh, yes, the Caracal is very effective, but I just don't like them.

Anyway, What I was hoping for was a web site that I could upload skills to and it would tell me what I should fly. That may be way out in the future, though.
Minmatar Republic
#8 Posted: 2012.11.26 23:31
Another thing I forgot to mention. I don't like to get within 40km of the NPCs. Makes Caracal sound great, but gunboats are kind of iffy.

I know. It's a personal quirk, but I'm stuck with it.
#9 Posted: 2012.11.27 00:25
You'll have a hard time staying outside 40km of rats in most missions... The main Caldari missile boats have already been recommended, but if you don't like any of them you could look at some of the minmatar ships bonused towards missiles. Usually the most fun ships to fly are T2 in my experience, but some are very situational.

There's no website that does all the thinking for you giving you exactly what you want, because that's not the type of game this is. If you're not satisfied with the answers you get here it's either because you haven't specified what you want properly, or you're looking for something that doesn't exist or is outside the frame you have provided.

Reason you'll see gunboats recommended is they have a much high dps potential than missiles when flown correctly, which usually just means orbit at the correct ranges.
#10 Posted: 2012.11.27 00:39
I'm sorry to tell you this, but if you don't like the Raven NI you may not be flying it correctly or you're schleping by with a faction BS that you've fitted entirely with T1 & T2 gear. A Navy Raven with a modicum of bling (not so much that you become a gank magnet, keep it around 1 bil) will make you loads of money. Mike712's fit HERE goes a bit too far in my opinion, but is a fine model. You can get by with a cheaper shield booster and simply use mission-appropriate T2 hardeners. Those T2 rigor rigs + the cheap faction TP though, man they just eat missions. It's comparable to a Tengu, though not in missions where a great deal of traveled between gates is required, where the Tengu is ace. OTOH, it doesn't care if it gets webbed by frigates since it has an ample drone bay (and can even throw out 3 T2 sentries).

Speaking of the Tengu, it's too bad you're dead set against it. It will still be really strong even after the nerf I think.

For missioning you described in your OP, assuming you've typical Caldari trained.

Lv 2s go with the Navy Carcal. It's a fun ship that's like a mini Drake with insane agility. Still fairly cheap too for a faction ship and considerably better than the Caracal (for now).

Lv 3s, it's all about the Drake (since you probably have good skills for it). It just smashes Lv 3s.

Considering your affinity for keeping NPCs at range and your obvious skills for Caldari ships, you might consider the Gila. It is a fantastic ship, though it is pricey and requires good drone skills to get the most out of it. It would easily run Lv 2s & 3s, and will do Lv 4s as well, though it's a bit slow at it (in the same way an Ishtar is slow at running Lv 4s).
Quality Assurance
Amarr Empire
#11 Posted: 2012.11.27 04:43
The new Caracal is going to be a beast for low level mission running from the looks of things thanks to 2 extra lows and removal of the ******* kinetic only damage bonus. The new Caldari and Minmatar missile destroyers should make for a fun option as well. The Gallente destroyer could be an interesting PVE option also, even though NPC AI is being 'upgraded' to switch targets.

If you haven't already, check the dev blogs and F&I Forum to see all the changes happening.

Northern Coalition.
#12 Posted: 2012.11.27 06:32
Hm. You are a real Goldilocks. Nothing to bling, nothing too big, fly Caldari, but don't like missiles, blah blah blah.

I would suggest you just harden up and start PVPing, because it seems you are bored of everything. Or try wormholes (yeah, Drake 4 Life), or even Incursions, because clearly if you are bored and unenthused by grinding missions (who is?) in any kind of ship, it is not the ship that is at fault, it is your dislike of missions.

The CNR is pretty much the king for missions without going for a Machariel or navy Amarr BS's. Pimp it wisely, and it will pay itself off swiftly.

Level 2 missions, you must be mad, or grinding them for faction standings. Either way, the fastest way to finish level 2's is with a faction cruiser. I prefer the Scythe Fleet, but post-patch you may as well take a Caracal. I can churn them every 8 minutes, which means I do a faction mission every 2 hours.
YOLO is the Carpe Diem of Gen Y
http://www.localectomy.blogspot.com.au
#13 Posted: 2012.11.27 09:29
I have a feeling that the current recommended ships will change after retribution launches at least for the level 1-3 missions.

BC and BS get redone with the next expansion. Which are mostly used for level 4 missions.
Herr Hammer Draken
"The Amarr Prophet"
Sky Syndicate
#14 Posted: 2012.11.27 12:26
Okay, I don't regularly see Kspace often, but none the less i'll throw in my 2 cents for what it's worth.

In my early days, I grinded lvl 2 missions in an arbitrator - so my suggestion for lvl 2 missions would be a drone cruiser. You can fit the high slots with salvagers and tractor beams while not loosing too much out as your drones will do the primary damage. Make sure you have an ewar mod in the mid to attract agro.

Lvl 3 missions any BC should be able to cope.

Lvl 4s a decently tanked BS or a drake

Hope that helps,

Sith

Sky Fighters - WH Space Mercs.  For more details
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=286708&find=unread

Gallente Federation
#15 Posted: 2012.11.27 16:35
Get Isboxer and multibox like 10 Drakes. Easy 3000-5000 DPS. Ya' Rly
#16 Posted: 2012.11.28 09:53  |  Edited by: Humera Kumamoto
My alt screwed up his standings versus Gallente/Minmatar. So now I am blitzing lvl 2's in a Cynabal (yes, I know it isn't proper since most reckon it is a PvP ship, but the damn thing is effective). Furthermore, for lvl 2's you don't need to go buy a faction fitting that screams: "Gank me, gank me all night long!! Harder, gank me you bastards!" (Ok, so the rigs were a bit out there. Blink )

It is a straight T2 fit for speed and passive shield tank (also screwy and it was said that you couldn't passive tank it, butthe damn thing works so why mess with it).

[Hi Slot]
425mm AutoCannon II
425mm AutoCannon II
425mm AutoCannon II
425mm AutoCannon II
Auto Targeting System II

[Mid Slot]
10MN AB II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II

[Low Slot]
Damage Control II
Shield Flux Coil II*
Shield Flux Coil II*
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
(Shield Power Relays gimp your cap stability to permarun the AB and Invuls)

[Rigs]
Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer II
Medium Core Defense Field Purger II
Medium Core Defense Field Purger II

[Tank]
Omni = 210 dps
Speed = 880+ m/s
Sig. Radius = 184m

[Ammo]
Depleted Uranium M (for tracking bonus) = 230+ dps @ 3+16km
Fusion or Phased Plasma M = 355+ dps @ 1.5+16km
RF Depleted Uranium M = 270+ dps @ 3+16km
RF Fusion M or Phased Plasma M = 400+ dps @ 1.5+16km
Hail (if you're insane) = 450+ dps @ 1.5+12km
(The above figures are with my skills and do not reflect that of someone better skilled)

[Drones]
Throw some light T2 drones in there and it climbs to around the 500 dps mark.
Or if you need to slow some of the frigs down get some Warrior SW-300's.