EVE General Discussion

^ Back to top

Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE BattleMaster v0.01a

Author
Northern Coalition.
#1 Posted: 2012.11.26 22:41  |  Edited by: MindRanger
As I've been frapsing fights for the longest time (and uploaded to youtube etc.), I got a bit tired of trying to make a half decent summary of the battle. I have used eve-kill.net and BRDoc, but they both require quite a bit of manual work to refine down to an easily readable format.

So, I decided to write my own battlereport parser. Based upon Eve-kill.net's battlereports, as I consider eve-kill.net to have the most consistent and coherent collection of killmails.

The parser is very much so in a (alfa) testing stage this moment, but it should give a much better overview of most (if not all) battles, ship wise and isk won/lost -wise. Of course, there is a limit to how consistent and correct you can manage to extract data from a HTML page, so it will probably never be 100% accurate unless its a very small battlereport.

Anyway, here goes :

Screenshot of BattleMaster v0.01: BattleMaster 0.01a Alpha Version

The BattleMaster v0.01 parser itself : BattleMaster v0.01 Parser preloaded with the K-6 Battle (Just put the correct alliances into their respective teams)

As usual, internet explorer doesn't seem to in partymode for this page (or any other page)... It should work, but I have had random occasions where it doesn't. I did code this parser in a hurry though, so maybe its not IE's fault :P

Have fun, and if you have (reasonable) suggestions/ideas, I'm listening. In particular if you're from EVSCO and have no problem providing me with a better fundament in terms of data ;)

PS!
The parser should accept any eve-kill.net link, for example http://fcftw.eve-kill.net/?a=kill_related&kll_id=15273852 - or just the number 15273852 itself. It will not accept any other killboards.

Cheers
Loosely Affiliated Pirates Alliance
#2 Posted: 2012.11.26 22:47
Hay that's a pretty cool tool you're working on there. Why not pull estimated ship prices from the API though, or can that be done? (ie something like average selling price over 3 or 4 regions.... kind of processing the kind of data evemarketdata does, or is that too process intensive?) Maybe you could just pull the data once a week server side, run a script to average the prices, and then have the app pull from the local database. That would avoid taxing the api, since it would be just one call a week... just thinking out loud. Kuddos for this though... Big smile
cockandballs. Every. Time. EvE Spaceship Guide Works in game only and not updated often
Northern Coalition.
#3 Posted: 2012.11.26 22:49
Gogela wrote:
Hay that's a pretty cool tool you're working on there. Why not pull estimated ship prices from the API though, or can that be done? (ie something like average selling price over 3 or 4 regions.... kind of processing the kind of data evemarketdata does, or is that too process intensive?) Maybe you could just pull the data once a week server side, run a script to average the prices, and then have the app pull from the local database. That would avoid taxing the api, since it would be just one call a week... just thinking out loud. Kuddos for this though... Big smile

Already done mate, it pulls pricing info from eve-central.com - while I add a markup of 15% (to 180% currently) depending on ship types. I.e. capitals have a 15% markup for fit, T3 (Strategic Cruisers) have a 180% markup.

This will of course be adjusted as time goes by and trends change.
#4 Posted: 2012.11.27 04:01
This looks like the start of a very very nice tool. Congratulations on what you've done so far.

A few suggestions I have that may help you:

* Look into the jQueryUI Draggable and Sortable tools. That will give you a much more fluid method of sorting alliances into their respective teams.

* Try and separate out some of the dynamic data from the static data, for example you can generate a JS file containing ship ids / prices and the likes, and then just link it so it's cached, reducing the amount of data you have to send.

* Try and make the fielded isk / lost isk for each ship type a little bit more clear on which ship type it belongs to. To me the green number looks to belong to the group above it, rather than below it, which I'm not sure is what you were trying to achieve.

Excellent job thus far though. I look forward to seeing the finished product.
Minmatar Republic
#5 Posted: 2012.11.27 04:53
Nice work,mate! Gratz!

p.s I'd like to correct you on the fact that it's almost,always IE's fault.
Northern Coalition.
#6 Posted: 2012.11.27 09:28
Sentient Blade wrote:
This looks like the start of a very very nice tool. Congratulations on what you've done so far.

A few suggestions I have that may help you:

* Look into the jQueryUI Draggable and Sortable tools. That will give you a much more fluid method of sorting alliances into their respective teams.

* Try and separate out some of the dynamic data from the static data, for example you can generate a JS file containing ship ids / prices and the likes, and then just link it so it's cached, reducing the amount of data you have to send.

* Try and make the fielded isk / lost isk for each ship type a little bit more clear on which ship type it belongs to. To me the green number looks to belong to the group above it, rather than below it, which I'm not sure is what you were trying to achieve.

Excellent job thus far though. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

While doing some research for drag-n-drop functionality (There is no native browser drag-n-drop support for Select dropdown/multiple elements), I stumbled across JQuery who seems to have a workaround. Even if JQuery is very cool and could possibly make my life a lot easier, I decided I did not want to be depending on a 3rd part library at this point in the process. Although as you point out, with ready to go functions for handling large datasets and creating dynamic dropboxes and UI, it is very tempting.

if (popular_demand > lazy) { convert to JQuery; } else { leave_as_is = true; }

Something like that anyway ;)
Northern Coalition.
#7 Posted: 2012.11.27 09:46
That preloaded battle; does anyone have a finished version they can link?
Northern Coalition.
#8 Posted: 2012.11.27 09:51
Marlona Sky wrote:
That preloaded battle; does anyone have a finished version they can link?

Not yet, but its very high on my todo list...
#9 Posted: 2012.11.27 13:39
MindRanger wrote:
I stumbled across JQuery

Ah, if you've only just encountered jQuery it's something I very much recommend looking at for a while. It's pretty much the de-facto JS library and will defiantly change the way you write any JS, especially for dynamic content.
Northern Coalition.
#10 Posted: 2012.11.27 13:53
Sentient Blade wrote:
MindRanger wrote:
I stumbled across JQuery

Ah, if you've only just encountered jQuery it's something I very much recommend looking at for a while. It's pretty much the de-facto JS library and will defiantly change the way you write any JS, especially for dynamic content.

Yeah, from what I saw it looks like a timesaver (once you learn to use it), but I don't work enough with web technology to justify a lot of time studying it. Lets see though, I'll definitely look into jQuery if/when I decide to write the next version.