^ Back to top
4 Pages123Next pageLast page

☣ Client Manipulation: Overview Settings - Color Coding and More! ☣

Jump to first DEV post
Author
SpaceMonkey's Alliance
#1 Posted: 2012.12.18 06:55  |  Edited by: Az Tek
UPDATED: EVE Online - Retribution 1.1.6

Written as if explained to someone with no knowledge in any of this.

I've received a fair bit of Eve-mails containing questions about client manipulation and I wish to address them all, however, for the purposes of this thread I will focus on the following question.

Quote:
Are there any other client modifications or manipulations that I can do, legally, that might either boost performance or be visually appealing? More specifically my overview.

There are a variety of tweaks you can do to your overview and your client in general to improve overall usability and function. Fully customizing your interface to suit your needs. Whether it is color coding your over tabs to help memorize what each ones function and placement is or completely customize damage notifications, pilot information, selected items info, etc,.

I am going to focus on some of the more simpler additions.

OVERVIEW SETTINGS

Overview - Screenshot 1

Overview - Screenshot 2

In the future I will include more overview settings that contain overview profiles. The following overview settings will NOT contain ANY profiles. The following excerpts of code will allow you to change your overview so that it mirrors the ones I have given screen shots of. It will allow you to keep ALL of your pre-existing overview profiles. Only tweaking the appearance of them.

How It's Done:

Color coding your overview to show pilot info, as appears when moused over, in different colors and sizes. Also allows for newline commands thus giving you this appearance: Overview - Screenshot 4 There are some E-Uni members who like to fly using this style.

We need to locate your overviews .xml file containing the code and settings we wish to edit.

Step 1:
locate the Overview folder in your SUB-EVE directory. It will be located in Documents if using windows. If you do not have this folder make it. Be sure to make the 'O' capital. "Overview" Will not export/import otherwise.

• Windows: C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\EVE\Overview
  • Mac: YourUserName/Library/Application Support/EVE Online/p_drive/My Documents/EVE/Overview
  • Linux: (Me thinks o.0) home/eve/Overview

• Step 2: Once in the Overview directory locate the Overview file you use in game (or wish to add this onto) and open it via a text editor. Notepad, Notepad++, etc,.

NOTE: If you created the folder there will not be a .xml file in it. Meaning you have never imported any overview settings. If this is the case log in to eve create a basic overview and import it with a name of your choosing. Then go back out of game and follow step 2.

Step 3: Now, inside this .xml file you will see an opening and closing bracket named shipLabels. (There are greater than and less than symbols before and after each) This is what you are going to copy over. Copy the code from the following link and paste it in. Save the file. Remember to save it as a .xml if it does not do this by default.

Primary Overview Code - ShipLabels

Step 4: Open your EVE client and log in. Once in game go to your overview and select import overview settings. Choose the file you have just edited. Exit EVE. Your Overview will now display as screenshots 1 and 2 appear.

NOTE: The .xml file has no relation to overview tabs. They are contained in the characters master settings file. In order to change them you will have to enter the code manually in game. (If you already have them saved on one character they can be mirrored using the methods I describe in How To Make Settings Between Characters/Alts Global)

Setting Color Values To View Tabs

This is what it will look like. I added symbols just as a reference that they can in fact be added. Using them to designate tabs is not a bad practice. They can be deleted if you want.

Screenshot - Overview Tabs

Step 1: Open up your Overview settings --> Select Overview Tabs. There are 3 sets of fields. Tab Name, Overview Profile, Bracket Profile. We are interested in Tab Name. You will enter the following code into each Tab Name field. Obviously edit out 'TEST 1' for the name your are using for each tab.

Primary Overview Tab Code

Step 2: click apply and you are done. Edit as needed.

Play around with the colors as needed. A pointer. ALL color codes require an APLHA. Standard Hex will not work!

Grauth Thorner has made available an application for doing this automatically. Very useful. Also includes other ways to make the output more visually appealing based on your preferences. His post can be found Here

Hope this helps =)

Az Tek
    Fight, Fly, Crow... Bangerang
    Amarr Empire
    #2 Posted: 2012.12.19 02:07
    awesome! been looking for this for a long time. had heard it was possible. do you know what colors it will accept? ive tried some but not all work.

thanks for making this available to us all!
    Loosely Affiliated Pirates Alliance
    #3 Posted: 2012.12.19 02:16
    Thanks for the post OP!
    cockandballs. Every. Time. EvE Spaceship Guide Works in game only and not updated often
    SpaceMonkey's Alliance
    #4 Posted: 2012.12.19 02:20
    Gogela wrote:
    Thanks for the post OP!

Yup! Let me know if you need color codes or if there are any other tweaks you'd like to see or use.
    SpaceMonkey's Alliance
    #5 Posted: 2012.12.19 07:42
    I SPIA wrote:
    awesome! been looking for this for a long time. had heard it was possible. do you know what colors it will accept? ive tried some but not all work.

thanks for making this available to us all!

Yup! a list has been sent to your inbox =)
    #6 Posted: 2012.12.19 08:33
    http://www.textswell.com/read,t13226
    http://www.textswell.com/read,t13227

From both of those i get this:

[404] File Not Found : Plik nie istnieje

Tested with three different browsers.
    Sable's Ammo Shop at Alentene V - Moon 4 - Duvolle Labs Factory. Hybrid charges, Projectile ammo, Missiles, Drones, Ships, Need'em? We have'em, at affordable prices. Pop in at our Ammo Shop in sunny Alentene.
    SpaceMonkey's Alliance
    #7 Posted: 2012.12.19 08:50
    UPDATE:

Sable Moran wrote:

Thanks. I just checked. Their server seems to be down. I have updated both links on original post and linked here as well.

#8 Posted: 2012.12.19 08:59
    Az Tek wrote:
    UPDATE:

Sable Moran wrote:

Thanks. I just checked. Their server seems to be down. I have updated both links on original post and linked here as well.

sweet dude. thanks so much for these. its appreciated. new links work fine. look forward to more threads from you. Cheers
    SpaceMonkey's Alliance
    #9 Posted: 2012.12.20 06:13
    Bubba Jenkinss wrote:
    Az Tek wrote:
    UPDATE:

Sable Moran wrote:

sweet dude. thanks so much for these. its appreciated. new links work fine. look forward to more threads from you. Cheers

Yup, Anytime. Thank you for the flashy wallet :P
    Advanced Amateurs
    #10 Posted: 2012.12.20 13:17
    Wow! I didn't know this was all done with straight up XML! I am now obliged to tinker with this untill at least the end of the world.
    SpaceMonkey's Alliance
    #11 Posted: 2012.12.21 05:18
    Inxentas Ultramar wrote:
    Wow! I didn't know this was all done with straight up XML! I am now obliged to tinker with this untill at least the end of the world.

Which, here at least, was 18 mins ago. And sense I'm still alive.. UPDATED!
    C C P Alliance
    #12 Posted: 2012.12.21 10:38
    Moving from General Discussion to Technology Lab.
    EVE Online/DUST 514 Community Representative ※ EVE Illuminati ※ Fiction Adept

@CCP_Eterne ※ @EVE_LiveEvents
    SpaceMonkey's Alliance
    #13 Posted: 2012.12.22 22:40
    UPDATE:

Update Includes font Formats and Alpha codes for coloring.
    Legion of xXDEATHXx
    #14 Posted: 2012.12.26 12:37  |  Edited by: Eklykti
    Az Tek wrote:

• It's in ~/EVE/Overview by default (Linux uses case-sensitive filesystem, so eve and EVE are different directories), but can be changed by moving 'My Documents' folder to other place in winecfg settings.
    SpaceMonkey's Alliance
    #15 Posted: 2012.12.26 12:39
    Eklykti wrote:
    Az Tek wrote:

• It's in ~/EVE/Overview by default (Linux uses case-sensitive filesystem, so eve and EVE are different directories), but can be changed by moving 'My Documents' folder to other place in winecfg settings.

Thank you for the info! =) Will update.
    Caldari State
    #16 Posted: 2012.12.29 13:51
    What else can be color coded,and how exactly,would like to code incoming and outcoming damage notifications,like scratch:white,devastating hit red maybe ect
    Dirt Nap Squad.
    #17 Posted: 2012.12.29 16:49
    i'm prepping a overview setting for myself.

http://ge.tt/8pNvo8T/v/0?c

This is a good start for everyone that wants something fancy.

best regards from Portgugal,
    Amallya
    SpaceMonkey's Alliance
    #18 Posted: 2012.12.30 05:06  |  Edited by: Az Tek
    romek mablung wrote:
    What else can be color coded,and how exactly,would like to code incoming and outcoming damage notifications,like scratch:white,devastating hit red maybe ect

I deleted my partition on my PC for windows and tried to reinstall and my install disc was messsed up. So for the next 2 days untill I can find a place to download a new copy I am unable to do anything. I will respond to this in a day or so with a full list of color settings, examples, etc and the codes for said colors so you can edit it in your self. I have some really awesome tweaks I think you may be interested in.
    SpaceMonkey's Alliance
    #19 Posted: 2012.12.30 05:08
    Amallya Trueshot wrote:
    i'm prepping a overview setting for myself.

http://ge.tt/8pNvo8T/v/0?c

This is a good start for everyone that wants something fancy.

best regards from Portgugal,
    Amallya

This link is broke. I can't seem to get it to work.

Az Tek
    Gallente Federation
    #20 Posted: 2012.12.30 06:37
    Looks great. On my mouseover tooltip I get a ?Name? ("?" before and after) instead of the arrow and star, but I can live with it until I feel the need to tinker with it to my liking.

Thanks for this. It's great how the simple things give a better perspective.
    4 Pages123Next pageLast page