Ships & Modules

^ Back to top

Topic is locked indefinitely.

3 Pages123Next page

Possible upgrade from dominix to rattlesnake ?

Jump to first DEV post
Author
#1 Posted: 2013.05.02 09:17
Hello everyone i am actually a new player (3.5 m sp)

Atm i am on a Dominix using Sentries + Mjd combo but i would like to know about a possible future upgrade..Would that be a similar Rattlesnake fit ? or what Else if not Rattle for a Drone (actually sentry drone) Pilot...i also saw the odyssey change for dominix and that confused me.. What is the most common upgrade for a dominix pilot?

Thank you in advance
Minmatar Republic
#2 Posted: 2013.05.02 09:27
Domonix Navy issue?!?
#3 Posted: 2013.05.02 09:51
Are you sure that this would be an upgrade since my main dmg output is sentry drones ?
Minmatar Republic
#4 Posted: 2013.05.02 10:00
gives more tank, and then fit some rails on it?!?
C C P Alliance
#5 Posted: 2013.05.02 10:01
Ah yes, this makes me remember to tell you guys something that should make you happy - we're going to increase calibration on all Navy Ships from 350 to 400. While it makes sense for Tech2 hulls to have less rig sots due to the specialized nature of the ships, Navy hulls are supposed to be an improvement over Tech1, but is not always the case right now due to rig / calibration restrictions.
Company Company
#6 Posted: 2013.05.02 10:08  |  Edited by: Kasutra
The Navy Potato is the most obvious upgrade to the standard Potato. Does the same thing, only slightly better.

The Rattlesnake is a somewhat different boat (although the drone focus is shared). You're very likely to see a lower raw DPS number on it, but it's more easily selectable (yay missiles), more useless against small targets (boo missiles). It can be tanked more easily, but that doesn't come into play much in level 4 missions (which I'm guessing you're doing).

The proposed summer changes include slashing the Domi's damage bonus, and replacing it with a drone optimal and tracking bonus. Can you explain what is confusing you?

CCP Ytterbium wrote:
Ah yes, this makes me remember to tell you guys something that should make you happy - we're going to increase calibration on all Navy Ships from 350 to 400. While it makes sense for Tech2 hulls to have less rig sots due to the specialized nature of the ships, Navy hulls are supposed to be an improvement over Tech1, but is not always the case right now due to rig / calibration restrictions.

Haha, what a random thread for this kind of an "announcement". Lol
#7 Posted: 2013.05.02 10:17
By watching some videos i made the conclusion that 1) its easier to tank lvl 4 missions and 2) missiles can help with dpsing long range targets ( somehow guns are useless for long range target on my Domi)

Correct me plz if i am wrong i am a totally new player ;)
Gentlemen's Agreement
#8 Posted: 2013.05.02 10:30  |  Edited by: Froggy Storm
I think you are seeing a case of your skills limiting you. Particularly with regards to the guns.

Once your core and def skills/certs improve you will (likely) find you are way over tanked for mission running. And rails will reach out nearly as far as your sentries range. It turns into a balance between maximum gank with minimum tank.

The idea behind that is (of course) the quicker one clears the field the less damage is taken. And as a result the more isk/hr you will see.

Stick with the normal domi until your cores are done and sentries are T2. It will minimize the pain of over reaching into a hull your skills can't really support and by that time you will know how to maximize the fits and missions where the next investment will be a good one.

Edit: With more thought, at 3.5m you may be over reached now. Something you might consider would be how long each L4 (assumed your in L4s) is taking you to complete. You might find your isk/hr better in L3s since you can blitz them. It is a common mistake by new players to rush into a BS and then struggle with each mission without realizing it has actually slowed them way down.
#9 Posted: 2013.05.02 10:39  |  Edited by: Adiaforos Anousios
I totally understand your point .

So skilling for Rattlesnake is not a '' Worth it '' option ? Can u plz correct me about tthe 2 conclusions i made for Rattlesnake vs Dominix ?

Thank you again ;)

****Atm i dont have problems completing quests but i would like to know where to head to (especiallly completing quests faster and safer )
Shadow Cartel
#10 Posted: 2013.05.02 10:50
CCP Ytterbium wrote:

WHAT

WHAT?

really?

How can you announce something like that in some ninja thread?? WHAT? O__O_O_O_O__O_O_O

(If its unclear i approve)
BYDI recruitment closed-ish
C C P Alliance
#11 Posted: 2013.05.02 10:55
Kasutra wrote:

Hey, be nice, I'm getting all senile due to old age and this thread made the topic pop back up in my mind as a thing to fix P I'll work on it this right now before I forget again.

Wait, who are you? What am I doing here? Is it meal time yet? Why did you take Matlock away?
#12 Posted: 2013.05.02 10:55
CCP Ytterbium wrote:

Is that the extent of the rebalancing for navy BSes, or is there more?
Oh god.
Stealth Wear Inc.
#13 Posted: 2013.05.02 11:03
CCP Ytterbium wrote:

Woot now mach can have a T2 dps rig and 2 50 calibration rigs!
#14 Posted: 2013.05.02 11:06
Mach isn't a navy ship...
Oh god.
#15 Posted: 2013.05.02 11:17
CCP Ytterbium wrote:
Kasutra wrote:

Hey, be nice, I'm getting all senile due to old age and this thread made the topic pop back up in my mind as a thing to fix P I'll work on it this right now before I forget again.

Will something similar be done with the pirate BS's?
#16 Posted: 2013.05.02 11:19  |  Edited by: Klingon Admiral
Dato Koppla wrote:
CCP Ytterbium wrote:

Woot now mach can have a T2 dps rig and 2 50 calibration rigs!

Macha is no navy ship. =)

Novah Soul wrote:
Will something similar be done with the pirate BS's?

Why should? Pirate ships are (for the most part) good enough as it is.
Shadow Cartel
#17 Posted: 2013.05.02 11:27
CCP Ytterbium wrote:
Kasutra wrote:

Wait, who are you? What am I doing here? Is it meal time yet? Why did you take Matlock away?

This means i will be able to fit sensible rigs to my comet!! Whoooo!
BYDI recruitment closed-ish
Gentlemen's Agreement
#18 Posted: 2013.05.02 11:28
Adiaforos Anousios wrote:
I totally understand your point .

So skilling for Rattlesnake is not a '' Worth it '' option ? Can u plz correct me about tthe 2 conclusions i made for Rattlesnake vs Dominix ?

Thank you again ;)

****Atm i dont have problems completing quests but i would like to know where to head to (especiallly completing quests faster and safer )

I'm not "exactly" saying having an eye towards a snake isn't a worthy goal. More I am saying it is not ideal for what your goal seems to be. The real key characteristic of the snake is the obscene tank it can field. L4s just don't need very much tank. As such the "top end" mission ships tend to be focused on max damage out not on tank.

Let's take the mach for example. It is most often run as a speed tank with very few modules dedicated to a more traditional tank. It can get away with this, in large part, because it has such high DPS that nothing stays around long enough to be a real threat to it.

So in your case I would try to finish out the T2 sentries (since you're already on that path) Then focus on the fitting and nav skills to get the most out of ANY hull. Following that you will be in a great place to decide what pirate bs or other "advanced" ships to go towards.

Remember, drone skills defense skills and fitting skills are never wasted. They are critical parts to getting off on a good foot in eve. Ships and fits will change. We are living in a fast changing game world so try not to tunnel in on a hull at the cost of maximizing the skills that really count.

Unless it is a focused salt of course. ;)
#19 Posted: 2013.05.02 12:06
CCP Ytterbium wrote:

Very welcome news, although this is indeed an unexpected place to find this announcement. Like others, I'm curious as to whether this will happen for the pirate faction hulls as well as the navy ships.
#20 Posted: 2013.05.02 12:43
CCP Ytterbium wrote:
Why did you take Matlock away?

Oh lawd.
Not today spaghetti.
3 Pages123Next page