Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

PvE Ishtar Feedback

Author
#1 - 2013-05-13 16:25:18 UTC
I posted an Ishtar fitting to Battleclinic. I saw a lot of low DPS ishtar fittings, and wanted to put something together that should be a decent mission runner, or something that could have some fun in wormholes (Would obviously need to add a probe launcher to the fit, and probably remove a gun).

I think this will be relatively good on cap and CPU, although I am not certain as I am just getting used to battleclinic. Would be sporting sentry drones, light drones, medium drones, and if possible, some webifyer drones and the like.

Thoughts and feedback appreciated!

http://eve.battleclinic.com/loadout/65879-PvE-Ishtar-Fitting-II.html
#2 - 2013-05-13 16:47:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Baggo Hammers
Drones?? Kind of the main DPS of an Ishtar.

Also, I might advise cutting and pasting from EFT to show your fittings.

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Situation: Normal
#3 - 2013-05-13 17:01:26 UTC
First,

Your fit doesnt work. You are over calibration with those rigs.

Cap is only 1 min with both reps running. less with the AB on.

Ishtar is horribly frustrating solo in a WH (I've tried).

I'd put together a fit but I don't have time atm (working).
#4 - 2013-05-13 17:52:58 UTC
Seems OK, replace the overclock rig with capacitor and you should be good to go.

If you need more CPU downgrade the DCU to a Meta-4 variant and/or the EANM to a Shadow (rel cheap + less CPU + same stats)

The rails wouldn't even track the deathstar and damage is bad. I'd just use blasters instead.
Situation: Normal
#5 - 2013-05-13 19:54:30 UTC
Personally this is something I like to use. Obviously currently setup for Serpentis or Guristas. The small RR I find useful with the new NPC AI, as you can rep the drone taking aggro which often means not having to recall it. Sentries can tank quite well.

Small blasters can help clear frigates up close.

[Ishtar, Ishtar fit]

Armor Thermic Hardener II
Armor Kinetic Hardener II
True Sansha Medium Armor Repairer
Drone Damage Amplifier II

10MN Afterburner II
Federation Navy Omnidirectional Tracking Link
Federation Navy Omnidirectional Tracking Link
Large Peroxide Capacitor Power Cell
Cap Recharger II

Centii C-Type Small Remote Armor Repair System
Light Electron Blaster II, Null S
[Empty High slot]

Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I

Garde II x5
#6 - 2013-05-14 09:35:07 UTC
[Ishtar, Ishtar fit]

Damage Control II
Nanofiber Internal Strucure II

experimental 100MN Afterburner
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
(random mission specific hardener)
(random mission specific hardener)

[Empty High slot]
[Empty High slot]
[Empty High slot]
[Empty High slot]
[Empty High slot]

medium core defence field purger I
medium core defence field purger I

Warden II x5
Garde II x5
Hobgoblin II x5

needs a 1% pg implant ( I personally use the genolution set), can put in a gun to draw aggro after that too
Triumvirate.
#7 - 2013-05-14 10:09:20 UTC
[Ishtar, PVE]
Medium Ancillary Armor Repairer
Reactive Armor Hardener
Thermic Plating II

Medium Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Navy Cap Booster 400
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II
10MN Afterburner II
Phased Weapon Navigation Array Generation Extron

Heavy Ion Blaster II, Null M
Centii A-Type Small Remote Armor Repair System
[empty high slot]

Medium Sentry Damage Augmentor II
Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I

Garde II x5

#8 - 2013-05-14 12:40:41 UTC
Here is sth that might give you an idea (this example is against sansha). Tank holds against L3s, you kill things to fast to let them damage you.

[Ishtar, Ishtar: Lvl3 pDr]

Damage Control II

EM Ward Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
10MN Afterburner II

75mm Gatling Rail II, Federation Navy Thorium Charge S
Auto Targeting System I
[Empty High slot]

Medium Polycarbon Engine Housing I
Medium Ionic Field Projector I

Garde II x5
Warden II x5
Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin II x5
Warrior II x5
Warrior SW-300 x5

800 DPS from garde, the light rails are for closing frigates. 852 DPS full
9 targets @ 93.8km with a 85km drone range

If you find the tank lacking (it is not for range tanking, but anyway) remove an OTL for a LSEII.
#9 - 2013-05-14 15:18:51 UTC
Thanks for the feedback everybody! I like these fits a lot more than the ones I've found in my searches. Gives me a lot to think about :)
#10 - 2013-05-14 15:43:53 UTC
I'm also noticing a lot of people saying armor tanking on an Ishtar isn't a good way to go, and shield is better. Any specific reasons for that?
#11 - 2013-05-14 15:53:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Bertrand Butler
3 really.

1. You are using it for pve, thus you do not need utility mids and can substitute them for tank.
2. You are using it for pve, thus you need space in the lows for damage mods.
3. The Ishtar has more armor than shield HP. Not that much though...
Triumvirate.
#12 - 2013-05-14 17:01:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Roime
Except the Ishtar should be armor tanked.

1. You need midslots to improve your damage application. 2 Omnidirectional tracking links (give both drone optimal range, lots of it, and tracking) is the baseline for using sentry drones efficiently, target painter adds more and also pulls aggro.

2. Ishtar is a speed/sig tanker, shield tank blows up your sig while not increasing speed. This means that you take less damage when armor tanking.

3. Active armor tanking repairs when you need it, passive shield tank all the time and with lower efficiency. This means you need to dedicate more slots to passive shield tank, slots that can be used for better things.

Only exception to this are Angel rats- if you need to tank explosive damage, shield tank is better (50% base explosive resist vs 10%).

Gallente Federation
#13 - 2013-05-14 19:34:29 UTC
Roime wrote:
1. You need midslots to improve your damage application. 2 Omnidirectional tracking links (give both drone optimal range, lots of it, and tracking) is the baseline for using sentry drones efficiently, target painter adds more and also pulls aggro.

You can mount a popgun small turret for drawing aggro, and depending on the missions you can shield-tank an ishtar effectively with two mid-slots devoted to omni links.

Roime wrote:
2. Ishtar is a speed/sig tanker, shield tank blows up your sig while not increasing speed. This means that you take less damage when armor tanking.

Perhaps if you try to passively tank one with shield tank rigs and shield extenders. If you either don't use extenders/SCDF(E/P)s or you active tank your ishtar it's not an issue.

Roime wrote:
3. Active armor tanking repairs when you need it, passive shield tank all the time and with lower efficiency. This means you need to dedicate more slots to passive shield tank, slots that can be used for better things.

Active armor tanking repairs seconds after you press the button which for many people, and for various reasons, can be several seconds after they need it. Active shield tanking does "repping when you need it" much better if less efficiently in terms of capacitor consumption.

Roime wrote:
Only exception to this are Angel rats- if you need to tank explosive damage, shield tank is better (50% base explosive resist vs 10%).

While that might be the only exception of where it makes sense to shield tank instead of armor tank the fact remains that the kinetic and thermal resistances make tanking against Gallente, Guristas, Caldari, EoM, Serpentis, and many merc missions (I.e. Damsel in Distress, though this one is better shield-tanked because of the explosive damage missiles in Zor's spawn group) quite easy regardless of whether you shield tank or armor tank.

On top of that rogue drone missions often deal out a substantial amount of explosive damage making shield tanking more attractive than armor tanking. Rogue drones do not, that I've noticed, have a significant EM component.

___

You can active shield tank an ishtar just fine with two mid slots (booster, hardener) and a low slot (DC2) leaving you a mid slot for a prop mod (afterburner), two omni links, and four low slots for DDA2s. This gives the ishtar approximately 800 rDPS at 45km optimal and enough CPU left over to fit a small gun. The biggest problem as I see it is that you need either a 5% CPU implant or a medium POU rig to go from a medium to a large shield booster, and given that large Gist C-type boosters are only around 10% more expensive than mediums it's a move worth considering.
Triumvirate.
#14 - 2013-05-14 22:13:55 UTC
Well argumented post, I haven't really run much missions and didn't know you can get away with that little tank, I've used the Ishtar for low and null plexes.

Still the armor fit I posted comes with more tank. proper guns, cap booster remote repper and target painter, losing only 79 Garde dps but 151 more total max dps. The ability to overheat blasters has proven useful in plexes. With Genos and Navy Omnis and dropping the tank to Gist C-type booster and one hardener level you can put a third DDA on it and get 783 Garde dps, and still keep everything except the RR.

Gallente Federation
#15 - 2013-05-15 01:52:13 UTC
I've found that usually battleships, at least ones using afterburners to help kite/speed-tank some of the incoming DPS (which is to say typhoons and machariels mostly, sometimes navy megathrons and armageddon, rarely a torpedo raven) only need a tank in approximately the 450 DPS range so long as it's perma-run. Smaller, faster ships should be able to do just as well tank-wise with less raw tank output unless they get webbed or the pilot goofs up on moving around in the mission resulting in their transversal hitting 0. With a Republic Fleet afterburner the ishtar can pull upwards of 640m/s before implants and other speed modules, and its signature radius is only 145m, 115m if the pilot is running a Halo set like mine is.

Please note that I determined the 450 tank rough figure before I could afford a Halo set much less before I decided to buy and install one and as such is not predicated on having a smaller than base signature radius. Also please note that a shield ishtar using a medium Gistum C-type shield booster can push out a tank that's approximately as good as what you might sustain with a Corelum A-Type MAR if you don't devote undue slots to cap regeneration when using a comparable configuration. That's to say MAR, hardener, DC2. Switching the DC2 for a second hardener or even an A-Type ANM would be much better tank-wise of course.

I'm not arguing for or against any tanking style on the ishtar, mind you. I just enjoy playing devil's advocate and T2 cruisers really make for some entertaining conversations when doing that. A shield-tanked mission-running curse, for example, is just a blast to discuss with people who think that recon ships don't belong anywhere near PvE. Once I get MinCru5 I might do the same thing for the huginn too.