Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
3 Pages123Next page
 

[Odyssey] District satellites and default overviews

First post
Author
C C P Alliance
#1 - 2013-05-28 16:41:33 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Phantom
Hey guys,

Almost a year ago we introduced districts into EVE Online. The were first added to all temperate planets within factional warfare space and more recently to temperate planets in low security systems within the Molden Heath region. Along with all of the districts we added a satellite above each district. These satellites are very special celestial objects. Most celestial objects in space are either on your overview or not. If they are added to your overview profile they show up on the overivew, if not they don't. Simple. These satellites however can be added to your overview profile and will only show up on the overview if there is a pilot on grid with the satellite. You guys can figure out why that is special, in a very useful way. Twisted

With Odyssey we are adding the district satellites to the following default overview profiles:
All
Default
PvP
Warp To

This will not change anyones overview that is currently setup. If you wish to add district satellites to your current overview profiles they are called "Satellite" and can be found in the overview settings, under filters, and in the celestial category.

With the release of planetary conquest in DUST and the increased number of orbital bombardments we firmly believe in getting this message out to as many pilots as possible. Wouldn't want pilots sitting in orbit of a district bored while waiting to provide that orbital bombardment support. Big smile

@CCP_FoxFour // Technical Designer // Team Tech Co

Third-party developer? Check out the official developers site for dev blogs, resources, and more.

#2 - 2013-05-28 16:44:33 UTC
Make this a sticky. Then we only need three more for a full first page. Lol

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

C C P Alliance
#3 - 2013-05-28 16:46:59 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Make this a sticky. Then we only need three more for a full first page. Lol


Done! :P

@CCP_FoxFour // Technical Designer // Team Tech Co

Third-party developer? Check out the official developers site for dev blogs, resources, and more.

#4 - 2013-05-28 16:52:10 UTC
CCP FoxFour wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Make this a sticky. Then we only need three more for a full first page. Lol


Done! :P
Thanks. Cool

Oh and nice change.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-05-28 16:52:23 UTC
If anyone is interested when the Molden Heath satellites are active, I post updated lists 3 times a week (Wed/Fri/Sun) here.
#6 - 2013-05-28 17:23:00 UTC
ah. since you are changing the defaults.. could you give militia higher priority than outlaw/suspect? The first experience of a noob in FW should not be to get killed for causing friendly fire... and there are many new players which just join FW without having a corp or a clue what they are doing. Posting unfuck your overview guides every 15min in the public milita channels isn't very fun.

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Men with Fancy Hats
#7 - 2013-05-28 18:08:42 UTC
Assuming you are using the "All" overview, will they be on there with planets, moons, etc, or will you have to be within x amount of KM to see them?
#8 - 2013-05-28 18:09:23 UTC
Bienator II wrote:
ah. since you are changing the defaults.. could you give militia higher priority than outlaw/suspect? The first experience of a noob in FW should not be to get killed for causing friendly fire... and there are many new players which just join FW without having a corp or a clue what they are doing. Posting unfuck your overview guides every 15min in the public milita channels isn't very fun.


This please. Thanks.
Caldari State
#9 - 2013-05-28 18:28:50 UTC
Bienator II wrote:
ah. since you are changing the defaults.. could you give militia higher priority than outlaw/suspect? The first experience of a noob in FW should not be to get killed for causing friendly fire... and there are many new players which just join FW without having a corp or a clue what they are doing. Posting unfuck your overview guides every 15min in the public milita channels isn't very fun.


Yeah, probably a good idea.
Shadow Cartel
#10 - 2013-05-28 19:02:47 UTC
Could you make ABSOLUTELY SURE; that you don't accidentially remove something from peoples overviews?

Getting volleyd by an invisible tornado is unpleasant.

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2013-05-28 19:54:30 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
Could you make ABSOLUTELY SURE; that you don't accidentially remove something from peoples overviews?

Getting volleyd by an invisible tornado is unpleasant.



To be fair, they didn't remove tornadoes from the overview. The made them Attack Battlecruisers. Which were not on custom overviews at the time.
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-05-28 20:18:54 UTC
why should we care about satelites? are the related to Dust? Why should we care about Dust unless PI gives big rewards? just askin'.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

#13 - 2013-05-28 21:19:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Ohishi
Why would you highlight a satellite that a player is currently on grid with? Why don't we just make ships that are on directional scan warpable too? This is a dumb change and makes finding bombers way too easy. For all your talk about how improved the scanning system is and how you are about to release an entire expansion based on exploring, removing the need to scan down a pilot on a district is dumb.

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought.

Tactical-Retreat
#14 - 2013-05-28 22:41:17 UTC
Does it really desserve a sticky ? No balance discussion, no dev answer needed here :/

There is already enough stickies, I'm surprised to see such an useless one.

Signature Tanking Best Tanking

[Ex-F] CEO - Eve-guides.fr

Ultimate Citadel Guide - 2016 EVE Career Chart

#15 - 2013-05-28 22:50:08 UTC
Ohishi wrote:
This is a dumb change and makes finding bombers way too easy.


I have my own gripes about the scanning changes....but why would this make a "bomber" more easily found?

If the the bomber is uncloaked on grid with one of these satellites...then that is a dead bomber (as it should be for being bad and uncloaked)
If the bomber is cloaked on grid with one of these satellites....then you don't know it's a bomber....unless you warp there, uncloaked and the bomber bombs you.....
If the bomber is cloaked on grid with one of these satellites.....then you don't know it's a bomber...if you warp there cloaked you don't know that bomber is there and the bomber is equally clueless to your presence.


How is this a bad thing? I don't understand your complaint in this context.

I'm right behind you

Daniel Plain
#16 - 2013-05-28 23:53:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Daniel Plain
Ohishi wrote:
Why would you highlight a satellite that a player is currently on grid with? Why don't we just make ships that are on directional scan warpable too? This is a dumb change and makes finding bombers way too easy. For all your talk about how improved the scanning system is and how you are about to release an entire expansion based on exploring, removing the need to scan down a pilot on a district is dumb.

i hate to break it to you pumpkin but the only way the new probing system is 'improved' is that there is no point in training the probing skills, or in fact have any RL skills or experience in probing. case in point: there will be no more people getting stuck in a wormhole because they were too stupid to recall their probes before logging, as probes now get recalled instantly and automatically when you dock, jump or log off.

I should buy an Ishtar.

C C P Alliance
#17 - 2013-05-29 01:39:21 UTC
Zact Katelo wrote:
Assuming you are using the "All" overview, will they be on there with planets, moons, etc, or will you have to be within x amount of KM to see them?


If there is someone on grid with the satellite, and the satellite is on your overview, it will be visible to everyone systemwide.

@CCP_FoxFour // Technical Designer // Team Tech Co

Third-party developer? Check out the official developers site for dev blogs, resources, and more.

C C P Alliance
#18 - 2013-05-29 01:40:49 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
Could you make ABSOLUTELY SURE; that you don't accidentially remove something from peoples overviews?

Getting volleyd by an invisible tornado is unpleasant.


That had nothing to do with removing things. The battlecruisers were moved to new groups. This is kind of the same thing. We added the satellite and it got a new group. So everyone needs to add it to their overviews.

@CCP_FoxFour // Technical Designer // Team Tech Co

Third-party developer? Check out the official developers site for dev blogs, resources, and more.

C C P Alliance
#19 - 2013-05-29 01:41:27 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:
why should we care about satelites? are the related to Dust? Why should we care about Dust unless PI gives big rewards? just askin'.


They only show up on your overview when someone is at them. They are in low sec space only right now. That means if you see one on your overview... PEW PEW PEW!

@CCP_FoxFour // Technical Designer // Team Tech Co

Third-party developer? Check out the official developers site for dev blogs, resources, and more.

C C P Alliance
#20 - 2013-05-29 01:42:45 UTC
Altrue wrote:
Does it really desserve a sticky ? No balance discussion, no dev answer needed here :/

There is already enough stickies, I'm surprised to see such an useless one.


Just want to make sure lots of people see this and know.

@CCP_FoxFour // Technical Designer // Team Tech Co

Third-party developer? Check out the official developers site for dev blogs, resources, and more.

3 Pages123Next page
Forum Jump