EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
3 Pages123Next page

time dilation problem ?

First post
Author
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-06-16 12:39:08 UTC
i'm alone in a system with 28% - 50% tidi, and it's been like that for around 15 min now... others having the same problem?

I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.

Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-06-16 12:47:30 UTC
yo ass so fat it be dilating time ... or more realistically there is something going on within the constellation/region that is affecting tidi in the whole area
This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.  Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2013-06-16 13:20:32 UTC
Time dialation happens server wise. The servers are not divided into constellations, but rather they systems are just thrown into random servers. The problem you are having is that a huge fight is going on in a system that could be anywhere in EVE, that happens to be on the same server as you. Battles on reinforced servers are not that likely to affect other systems as the server is dedicated to the one system. However another server can hold a whole bunch of systems, meaning too much action in any of the systems will make them all get hit by TIDI.
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-06-16 13:26:40 UTC
dexington wrote:
i'm alone in a system with 28% - 50% tidi, and it's been like that for around 15 min now... others having the same problem?

Imagine if you were part of those several fleets in the same system for over 1000 dudes+ another 1000 of enemies. I can tell you all you wish is to be primary and get to do something more interesting.

It's much better than old system but still, unless CCP specifically reinforces the exact node for that period (which doesn't happen often or at least sufficiently)

Hint if you want to get a fast ticket home and get to really play decently: find the logi anchor or FC, target and focus fire on it, you'll be soon able to play comfortably once you got your free ride to home.

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

#5 - 2013-06-16 13:31:05 UTC
There is most likely a fleet battle in a system sharing the same node as you. tdi doesn't happen on a system to system bases but a node bases.
#6 - 2013-06-16 14:53:53 UTC
dexington wrote:

CCP is spreading the love, why should just the people in battle get to enjoy Tidi.....Cool

Signature removed - CCP Eterne

C C P Alliance
#7 - 2013-06-16 16:06:58 UTC
There is then action ongoing in another solarsystem on that same node. There are 252 location and service nodes on TQ (on 57 blades; most of them quad core, some with 8 cores) and 70 proxies (on 12 blades with 1 to 8 cores). Time Dilation is across an entire location node since the CPU on that node is then struggling due to load. A location node hosts a number of solarsystem, most often a number of constellations.

Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson | Senior Development Director | EVE Online // CCP Games | @CCP_Explorer

Illuminantur Dominium Sicarioum
#8 - 2013-06-16 16:52:09 UTC
CCP Explorer wrote:
There is then action ongoing in another solarsystem on that same node. There are 252 location and service nodes on TQ (on 57 blades; most of them quad core, some with 8 cores) and 70 proxies (on 12 blades with 1 to 8 cores). Time Dilation is across an entire location node since the CPU on that node is then struggling due to load. A location node hosts a number of solarsystem, most often a number of constellations.

Offtopic, but: Interesing facts about the size of TQs blade farm, I thought it was bigger.
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2013-06-16 17:02:21 UTC
DTson Gauur wrote:
CCP Explorer wrote:

Offtopic, but: Interesing facts about the size of TQs blade farm, I thought it was bigger.

EVE is dying?
#10 - 2013-06-16 17:04:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Onictus
CCP Explorer wrote:

You are running out of processor resources before you are running out of bandwidth on the northbridges?

Granted my blade farms are for a different application, but we have more trouble with bandwidth than processors with duel Xenon HS22s, and those with 1000Gig/E sisters.

DTson Gauur wrote:

It makes prefect sense really. While ideally you would have (logical) processor per node, I doubt that our subs would pay for that in a month, just the power bill. Each E-series blade center hold 7-14 (depending on sisterboard configs) blades and has four 1500-2200W power supplies that the blades have NO issue pushing the power levels into eating up the reserves for a failover to the backup zone when you really make them work.

For reference where I work the blades on our uninteruptable systems actually load down a pair of 40,000KW diesel generators to the point that they will stall if they haven't been serviced and or get a bit of water in the fuel.

Its to CCP's advantage to keep the hardware at a "just enough" level, or they would run out of money quickly.
Tiven loves Tansien
#11 - 2013-06-16 17:23:13 UTC
Onictus wrote:
CCP Explorer wrote:

You are running out of processor resources before you are running out of bandwidth on the northbridges?

Granted my blade farms are for a different application, but we have more trouble with bandwidth than processors with duel Xenon HS22s, and those with 1000Gig/E sisters.

DTson Gauur wrote:

It makes prefect sense really. While ideally you would have (logical) processor per node, I doubt that our subs would pay for that in a month, just the power bill. Each E-series blade center hold 7-14 (depending on sisterboard configs) blades and has four 1500-2200W power supplies that the blades have NO issue pushing the power levels into eating up the reserves for a failover to the backup zone when you really make them work.

For reference where I work the blades on our uninteruptable systems actually load down a pair of 40,000KW diesel generators to the point that they will stall if they haven't been serviced and or get a bit of water in the fuel.

Its to CCP's advantage to keep the hardware at a "just enough" level, or they would run out of money quickly.

Don't talk like you know everything, EVE really needs extra power. Why do i have to experience TiDi if there's a fight in some other constellation away?
#12 - 2013-06-16 17:28:03 UTC
Tiven loves Tansien wrote:
Onictus wrote:
CCP Explorer wrote:

DTson Gauur wrote:

Don't talk like you know everything, EVE really needs extra power. Why do i have to experience TiDi if there's a fight in some other constellation away?

Because there are x systems running on every logical proc, CCP has stated (repeatedly) that the systems aren't in anyway way geographically related, so when you have 6-7 250 man fleets rolling around a few of those nodes are going to get crushed. Hell the CFC undocking for an OP pushes the system to 10% TiDi.

A lot of that...by CCPs admission...being that the accounts/skills/ship affects etc are completely torndown and rebuilt on any session change.

....and I will tell you now, dynamic load balancing in a real time environment is very, VERY, difficult.
Affirmative.
#13 - 2013-06-16 17:59:56 UTC

The main issue is, that from a business / common sense perspective, it makes little sense to have only one, or only a few systems on a node, when those are empty 90% of the time and only have a dozen people in them 9.9% of the time, just for that off chance that a huge fleet passes thru them today or tomorrow.
Hence the possibility to inform CCP ahead of time, if you have a known large operation, or a battle with a high escalation chance.
#14 - 2013-06-16 18:06:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Onictus
Sephira Galamore wrote:

The main issue is, that from a business / common sense perspective, it makes little sense to have only one, or only a few systems on a node, when those are empty 90% of the time and only have a dozen people in them 9.9% of the time, just for that off chance that a huge fleet passes thru them today or tomorrow.
Hence the possibility to inform CCP ahead of time, if you have a known large operation, or a battle with a high escalation chance.

Right, the null sec alliances are pretty good about calling ahead about fights over timers and whatnot......but if you get a big escalation type fight (usually involving supers tackled or a drop on an enemy fleet). Whelp.

We may have the target system reinforced but still we will peg TiDi at max undocking and getting to the fight, so that is going to be spread across whatever systems share that processor.

Which is actually preferable to a big fight like that actually crashing the server....which is what used to happen.
#15 - 2013-06-16 19:09:43 UTC
This thread requires pictures for the hard of thinking/reading.

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

#16 - 2013-06-16 19:47:54 UTC
I'm having similar problems, earlier I was in a fleet, each jump caused TiDi to jump up to 80% in some cases.
90-100 people jumping around shouldn't cause this, with client freezing (and in some cases crashing) every jump in the new and better titled "Black warp tunnel of death."

#17 - 2013-06-16 19:56:50 UTC
CCP Explorer wrote:

What?

Dear me, I am just so stoopid when it comes to the inner workings of computer stuff.

To be honest, I though they all worked by magic.

This is not a signature.

C C P Alliance
#18 - 2013-06-16 20:50:12 UTC
Onictus wrote:
CCP Explorer wrote:

DTson Gauur wrote:

Memory bus bandwidth is the current bottleneck, much rather than raw CPU. In our latest upgrades we opted for lower CPU to get more bandwidth.

Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson | Senior Development Director | EVE Online // CCP Games | @CCP_Explorer

C C P Alliance
#19 - 2013-06-16 20:51:50 UTC
Azami Nevinyrall wrote:
I'm having similar problems, earlier I was in a fleet, each jump caused TiDi to jump up to 80% in some cases.

90-100 people jumping around shouldn't cause this, with client freezing (and in some cases crashing) every jump in the new and better titled "Black warp tunnel of death."
CCP Veritas has been working on a project called Brain in a Box for a while to address this exact issue.

#20 - 2013-06-16 21:07:08 UTC
Please take a look at Aridia region, lowsec systems of Hophib and surrounding - N3 deployed there and there is tidi permanently. Evil Perhaps you can reallocate the constellation to its own node?
3 Pages123Next page