Wormholes

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
3 Pages123Next page
 

Thermally Collapsing Wormholes

Author
#1 - 2013-07-25 16:03:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Han Soleo Chelien
I am fairly familiar with how to close wormholes using HIC's and 100mn Battleships/Orca's. My corp does it all the time and we are pretty efficient at it now.

Recently I heard someone mention that you can thermally collapse a wormhole using scorch bombs after the WH has less than 50% of its allowable mass. It could have just been a troll post because it sounds absolutely ridiculous....but it did peak my curiosity. So I Googled it and could only find one Eve Forum post made several years ago about how the Goon's were doing this to collapse WH's.

My question is, has anyone on here done this recently or at least heard of it?
#2 - 2013-07-25 16:09:38 UTC
Void Bombs seem more appropriate...


Minister of High Society | Twitter: @autoritare

E-mail: diogenes.proc@gmail.com

My Blog: http://diogenes-club.blogspot.com/

The Diogenes Club | Join W-Space | Down The Pipe

#3 - 2013-07-25 16:27:21 UTC
Proclus Diadochu wrote:
Void Bombs seem more appropriate...




So....you can use bombs to close wormholes? Can you explain the procedure?
Greater Realms
#4 - 2013-07-25 16:54:58 UTC  |  Edited by: tgl3
You have to fire a void bomb directly at the center of the wormhole. It also has to be timed to go off exactly as it crosses the wormhole threshold. The reason being that the blast needs to be between both wormholes in order to destabilise both ends.

Because of the skill required to do it, most wormholers don't bother, which explains the rarity of this method.

EDIT - As you mentioned, the wormhole has to also be beneath half mass in order for the destabilisation to be effective.

Twitter - TG_3

Ex EVE Blogger - posts still available at Through Newb Eyes

Chat channels in-game; "RvB Spooning R US", "RvB Ganked", "Basket"

#5 - 2013-07-25 16:59:41 UTC
tgl3 wrote:
You have to fire a void bomb directly at the center of the wormhole. It also has to be timed to go off exactly as it crosses the wormhole threshold. The reason being that the blast needs to be between both wormholes in order to destabilise both ends.

Because of the skill required to do it, most wormholers don't bother, which explains the rarity of this method.

EDIT - As you mentioned, the wormhole has to also be beneath half mass in order for the destabilisation to be effective.


Wow....

You have to fire a bomb at it from both sides and have them land right on zero? I'm guessing the guy on the opposite side has to race the bomb to the wh and enter before it goes off as well?

Does this just take one hit or do you have to make several attempts?
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2013-07-25 17:12:52 UTC
Han Soleo Chelien wrote:
tgl3 wrote:
You have to fire a void bomb directly at the center of the wormhole. It also has to be timed to go off exactly as it crosses the wormhole threshold. The reason being that the blast needs to be between both wormholes in order to destabilise both ends.

Because of the skill required to do it, most wormholers don't bother, which explains the rarity of this method.

EDIT - As you mentioned, the wormhole has to also be beneath half mass in order for the destabilisation to be effective.


Wow....

You have to fire a bomb at it from both sides and have them land right on zero? I'm guessing the guy on the opposite side has to race the bomb to the wh and enter before it goes off as well?

Does this just take one hit or do you have to make several attempts?



Be aware that, when you collapse a hole this way, you add a lot of energy to the wormhole from the bomb explosion. This means that when the hole collapses, it doesn't just collapse, it gives off a wave of energy, much like null sec gas clouds. So be sure your bomber is set to take that one time blast of 20k damage.
Greater Realms
#7 - 2013-07-25 17:23:00 UTC
Han Soleo Chelien wrote:
tgl3 wrote:
You have to fire a void bomb directly at the center of the wormhole. It also has to be timed to go off exactly as it crosses the wormhole threshold. The reason being that the blast needs to be between both wormholes in order to destabilise both ends.

Because of the skill required to do it, most wormholers don't bother, which explains the rarity of this method.

EDIT - As you mentioned, the wormhole has to also be beneath half mass in order for the destabilisation to be effective.


Wow....

You have to fire a bomb at it from both sides and have them land right on zero? I'm guessing the guy on the opposite side has to race the bomb to the wh and enter before it goes off as well?

Does this just take one hit or do you have to make several attempts?

Void bombs take 2 bombs from both sides. Thermal can take 3 to 4 hits. No other bombs will work.

Twitter - TG_3

Ex EVE Blogger - posts still available at Through Newb Eyes

Chat channels in-game; "RvB Spooning R US", "RvB Ganked", "Basket"

#8 - 2013-07-25 17:23:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Han Soleo Chelien
Suffice it to say... my mind is blown

This is absolutely fascinating to me. Thanks for the info on this guys I'm going to have to test this out now. Do you guys know the theory behind how this works on wormholes? Is it a glitch?
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2013-07-25 17:28:06 UTC
Han Soleo Chelien wrote:
Suffice it to say... my mind is blown

This is absolutely fascinating to me. Thanks for the info on this guys I'm going to have to test this out now. Do you guys know the theory behind how this works on wormholes? Is it a glitch?



It may not work for you at first, the timing and aiming is Very tricky. But keep at it.

When it comes to wormholes, CCP never explained anything, they just left it to players to figure out as they went along. So all the tricks and such we know about them comes from players dreaming it up.
Pandemic Legion
#10 - 2013-07-25 18:21:31 UTC
I'd love to see a video of this in action, assuming it isn't all just a hoax.
#11 - 2013-07-25 18:29:42 UTC
Alexander McKeon wrote:
I'd love to see a video of this in action, assuming it isn't all just a hoax.



This is a great idea. A better idea would be for OP to *Live* Stream his adventure.

Minister of High Society | Twitter: @autoritare

E-mail: diogenes.proc@gmail.com

My Blog: http://diogenes-club.blogspot.com/

The Diogenes Club | Join W-Space | Down The Pipe

#12 - 2013-07-25 18:42:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Han Soleo Chelien
Proclus Diadochu wrote:
Alexander McKeon wrote:
I'd love to see a video of this in action, assuming it isn't all just a hoax.



This is a great idea. A better idea would be for OP to *Live* Stream his adventure.


Funny thing is....I'm still skeptical lol. An idea like this floating around the recesses of the wormhole dwellers rumor mill, that is absolutely ridiculous sounding but yet still plausible enough to make one curious. It would be the ultimate hoax...or completely transform how I close wormholes. It could end in disaster, or success...depending on your perspective heh.

EDIT: Not sure how I missed it...but right off the bat I don't know of any bomber that can tank 20k worth of damage. That gives my skepticism a strong base to stand on.
Hard Knocks Citizens
#13 - 2013-07-25 19:14:42 UTC  |  Edited by: MadbaM
Fun Fact.

A titan doomsday will also collapse a hole, also if you have enough Scorps/falcons you can ECM a hole close.

EDIT:

No bomber can tank that but you can leave grid before the explosion.
Hard Knocks Citizens
#14 - 2013-07-25 19:53:50 UTC
"It's getting hot in here, so lets close us some holes..."
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2013-07-25 20:16:27 UTC
The aoe is not that big so if you launch while approching really slow you won't get affected.
#16 - 2013-07-25 20:28:11 UTC
Bloody Hell. This has been a closely guarded secret known only to a few for the past few years. Trust Goons to let the cat out the bag.

Each bomb takes 1 Billion KG (+/- 10%) off the hole's mass provided they hit within one tick on the server. So to close a 3B hole you have to have to fire four bombs at a 3B hole in quick succession to collapse it.

Proof
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2013-07-25 20:30:57 UTC
Han Soleo Chelien wrote:
Proclus Diadochu wrote:
Alexander McKeon wrote:
I'd love to see a video of this in action, assuming it isn't all just a hoax.



This is a great idea. A better idea would be for OP to *Live* Stream his adventure.


Funny thing is....I'm still skeptical lol. An idea like this floating around the recesses of the wormhole dwellers rumor mill, that is absolutely ridiculous sounding but yet still plausible enough to make one curious. It would be the ultimate hoax...or completely transform how I close wormholes. It could end in disaster, or success...depending on your perspective heh.

EDIT: Not sure how I missed it...but right off the bat I don't know of any bomber that can tank 20k worth of damage. That gives my skepticism a strong base to stand on.


Keep in mind its all thermal damage, so you can tank specifically. You can make a manticore fit with over 30k ehp against thermal damage, plenty of room for the bomb launcher.

But that's really not necessary since, like bombs, the damage is reduced a lot by a low sig radius. 20k is just the raw, optimal output.
#18 - 2013-07-25 20:36:33 UTC
Sedilis wrote:
Bloody Hell. This has been a closely guarded secret known only to a few for the past few years. Trust Goons to let the cat out the bag.

Each bomb takes 1 Billion KG (+/- 10%) off the hole's mass provided they hit within one tick on the server. So to close a 3B hole you have to have to fire four bombs at a 3B hole in quick succession to collapse it.

Proof


You made that look far too easy. You should tell him how long it took you guys to set up that shot.

OP, it takes a ton of practice to collapse it as efficiently as Sedilis demonstrated.

Minister of High Society | Twitter: @autoritare

E-mail: diogenes.proc@gmail.com

My Blog: http://diogenes-club.blogspot.com/

The Diogenes Club | Join W-Space | Down The Pipe

Amarr Empire
#19 - 2013-07-25 20:40:15 UTC
This needs to be "stickied" like right meow...
#20 - 2013-07-25 20:41:40 UTC
3 Pages123Next page
Forum Jump