CSM Campaigns

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
2 Pages12Next page

Einear Lightfingers for CSM9

First post
Author
Galactic Republic Alliance
#1 - 2014-04-07 01:41:59 UTC
You ask—who the hell are you? I answer: I have been a member of the EVE community for over 7 years, I love the game, in all its facets, with all my heart. Over the last few years I have seen a pattern that EVE’s development has been focused on null and low sec at the expense of high sec. There have been a few gains with ship rebalancing but they don’t offset mechanics that have slowly been introduced over the past few years. Today high sec is plagued by mass griefing and other social epidemics. Yet, null sec and low sec will continue to tell you that high sec needs to be nerfed. As someone who has taken part in PVE, scanning anomalies, mining, manufacturing, production, and marketing, my goal is to have a voice for high sec that will strive to meet everyone’s (null, low sec, high sec, and WH space) needs without another group suffering additional ramifications from code review, mechanics modification, or play type. EVE is blessed with a variety of avenues for individuals to take based on how they interpret their playing style. Who has the right to dictate how one group should play versus another? We need each other; high sec needs the low/null sec ore and moon goo to build products, null/low sec need high sec to deliver low cost low end minerals and ships/equipment at less than mineral prices. EVE is a symbiotic circle of life and death. Each group does not have an absolute need for another group to maintain its existence, but they garner more time to experience their idea of fun when using the offerings taken from the others. Elect me and I will help you find the balance we all desire in this phenomenal game that we all love.

So, you say, that all sounds good, but why should I vote for you? I say—in my professional career I have managed global databases of 9.2 Terabytes with response times no greater than 400 milliseconds for any of thousands of users around the world. I hope to use that knowledge to assist null sec with their war efforts. As an IT manager it has been my goal to find the least amount of repetitive tasks to keep an individual engaged and caring about the actions they are taking. I think this could be useful in streamlining planet integration, manufacturing, and research and development. There are numerous other areas in my professional life that I think could benefit EVE’s global infrastructure and community. If you have any questions feel free to send me an EVEmail or contact me directly in EVE. CSPA has been set to zero so the only thing it will cost you is your time. Thank you.
Jaun Pacht-Feng
#2 - 2014-04-07 10:31:32 UTC
So like other candidates you're running for CSM in a vain attempt to get a job.

Half your speech was your IRL resume.

I now know another person who NOT to vote for.

"Go Goon or Go Home"

Perfect description of the biggest problem with Eve. 

Blades of Grass
#3 - 2014-04-07 12:47:23 UTC
Einear, another CSM candidate. Welcome. Like I just told Pizza, a pity you didn't announce sooner, as our deadline for candidate interviews is past. However, I will ask you the same exact set of questions I asked him.

Do you consider the timing of this post appropriate and adequate, given that it is going up a day before the election begins and given that there was no widespread public knowledge of you running prior to your name appearing appearing on the approve list of CSM candidates?

Then, additionally, do you feel it is appropriate for the community to hold CSM candidates up to public scrutiny? Would you agree or disagree that posting this late hinders the ability of either the community at large or media representatives to hold you to that public scrutiny?

That's all, I'll accept my answers off the air.

Cheers.

Hoots

Co-host and Grand Poobah for the Cap Stable podcast.

capstable.net

#4 - 2014-04-07 18:24:42 UTC
Drewson Houten wrote:
Einear, another CSM candidate. Welcome. Like I just told Pizza, a pity you didn't announce sooner, as our deadline for candidate interviews is past. However, I will ask you the same exact set of questions I asked him.

Do you consider the timing of this post appropriate and adequate, given that it is going up a day before the election begins and given that there was no widespread public knowledge of you running prior to your name appearing appearing on the approve list of CSM candidates?

Then, additionally, do you feel it is appropriate for the community to hold CSM candidates up to public scrutiny? Would you agree or disagree that posting this late hinders the ability of either the community at large or media representatives to hold you to that public scrutiny?

That's all, I'll accept my answers off the air.

Cheers.

Drewson,

You are correct my joining the campaign late on the forms was not fair to voters. It does indeed limit their opportunity to ask questions and find my complete stance on the topics that are most important to them. Likewise, I did not want to go blasting a message that I was campaigning until I was sure that I was approved in the process. I did not start my speeches and had only a rough outline of my campaign before being accepted and spent the better part of the weekend attempting to find the words that I thought conveyed what I think about EVE.

I have to say it is an incredibly truncated process if the list of accepted candidates is announced on April 4th and the interviews are over by April 7th. I believe that anything worth doing right takes time if speed is your immediate need you will meet with unmet expectations. That last was not meant as an insult towards you or any of the other candidates, I truly appreciate your post and hope to offer as much as I can in an explanation of why I only submitted my forum post and eve-csm.com details yesterday.

Do I think it is appropriate to be held to public scrutiny? It depends on the public you are referencing. I'm sure many want to be informed and far and few between read the long forum posts candidates make on their stance. I also believe that the same public would want a concise well thought out brief statement would be preferred to a long winded social debate. For the media interview, I never received an EVE mail or any contact in game regarding this opportunity.

In the end I hope that the voters who have questions or want more details reach out to me. Thank you again Drewson and I wish luck in the upcoming election of CSM9.

Regards,

Einear
#5 - 2014-04-07 18:30:38 UTC
Jaun Pacht-Feng wrote:
So like other candidates you're running for CSM in a vain attempt to get a job.

Half your speech was your IRL resume.

I now know another person who NOT to vote for.

Jaun,

How would you like me to answer your post? Did I mention my qualifications based on my real world experience to help address what skills I can bring to CSM to help resolve issues EVE. Yes, I did. Would you have preferred that I say I have a vast background of mining, clicking PI chains, clicking manufacturing and research jobs, spamming the F1 key when my FC tells me to fire? I really do not see how the second could possibly help you determine my qualifications in delivering the best EVE performance you want and deserve. I will however apologize for relating I'm a person with real life experience first and an EVE player second. Thank you for your feedback and I wish all the CSM candidates luck in the upcoming election.

Regards,

Einear
Plucky Adventurers
#6 - 2014-04-07 19:38:02 UTC
Just because you have not been approved to run doesn't mean you cannot campaign. Perhaps you might have noticed this from all the other thread in this forum that showed up weeks or months ago?

CSM 7 Secretary CSM 6 Alternate Delegate @two_step_eve on Twitter My Blog

Goonswarm Federation
#7 - 2014-04-07 19:54:04 UTC
this may be a worse platform than xenuria's

like that second paragraph is basically "i know nothing about what the csm does and have no skills to offer that would be useful to it, and don't even realize how clearly i'm communicating that to everyone"

Head of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal Pubbie Management and Exploitation Division.

#8 - 2014-04-07 20:08:16 UTC
Two step wrote:
Just because you have not been approved to run doesn't mean you cannot campaign. Perhaps you might have noticed this from all the other thread in this forum that showed up weeks or months ago?

Two Step,

I can't refute your statement, yes, I could have started months ago to campaign on how I stand for different things. I have seen that many candidates have done this and I respect their efforts. However, I ask how many non-candidates created threads that so many wasted time on that are not in the race. Do those who claimed to be running owe anyone for the time people lost reading their posts? I will be the first to tell you I spend a reasonable amount of time in EVE. I do not see it as a career or something that I need to sustain life. That is why I did not think it was necessary to start campaigning for CSM9 directly after the election results of CSM8 during Fanfest.

I routinely read and comment on multiple forum threads authoring some under my pen name, but do not feel the need to create webpages and forum topics directly related to every EVE moment how it could or would be much better. Do I think I have a genuine finger on the pulse within EVE, yes. Do I know ALL the issues and debate them at great length, no. I'm sorry if my campaign style does not match others, I do not feel the need to add to so many topics on the current issues of EVE. I came here not to be an expert in all that is EVE, but to show as a player I would like to be a voice for all. To listen and to forward their wants and needs even if it differs from my view. As an elected official it is about them and never about us. So I take a minimum approach in my campaign and in doing so hope of letting those whom I want to be an ambassador for know that I will be their ear and voice, forwarding their wants and needs and not telling them how things should be.

Thank you for pointing out the short coming of my campaign. To all those I am running against I offer you "Good Luck". I mean this in true fashion as I hope those who get elected will represent the EVE populous well.

Regards,

Einear
Goonswarm Federation
#9 - 2014-04-07 20:15:01 UTC
what inferences would you draw about another candidate who could not be bothered to risk the effort of making a single forum thread before getting approval, specifically about the likelihood of him putting in any amount of effort whatsoever if elected

Head of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal Pubbie Management and Exploitation Division.

#10 - 2014-04-07 20:16:27 UTC
Weaselior wrote:
this may be a worse platform than xenuria's

like that second paragraph is basically "i know nothing about what the csm does and have no skills to offer that would be useful to it, and don't even realize how clearly i'm communicating that to everyone"

Weaselior,

Thank you, you are absolutely correct. It is not the CSMs job or responsibility to offer/recommend changes that might impact performance. It is not an advantage to have a background in global IT. If I am wrong on my view of what CSM can and should offer then perhaps CSM should expand its role, because I don't think you can limit EVE to just its content but more of how that content is provided to you. As a minion of a very large null sec alliance I would think you would want someone who could offer suggestions to enhance, stabilize, and perpetuate your conquest goals. Or do you require server crashes and TiDi to exact a win? Thank you for trying to expand my knowledge of what CSM really does.

Regards,

Einear
Goonswarm Federation
#11 - 2014-04-07 20:17:28 UTC
seriously that is a mind-boggling answer: "well i could not create a thread because maybe that thirty minutes of effort would be wasted"

if ccp presents an idea without telling you that it is guaranteed to make it into the next expansion, will you also not be willing to spend thirty minutes of time to review it and offer feedback?

#12 - 2014-04-07 20:27:06 UTC
Weaselior wrote:
seriously that is a mind-boggling answer: "well i could not create a thread because maybe that thirty minutes of effort would be wasted"

if ccp presents an idea without telling you that it is guaranteed to make it into the next expansion, will you also not be willing to spend thirty minutes of time to review it and offer feedback?

Weaselior,

You draw a comparison between two non congruent items. Creating a post and speaking on a post about issues that have been discussed at nauseam does not mean that I wouldn't be prepared to discuss at length with CCP about the given topic. You confuse the two very easily. On a forum thread that typically gets so much effort and attention that leads no where but quarrels of solutions and the breaks the solution creates or better the no solution. The other an engagement with CCP where a discussion can lead to results or an alternative. Thank you again.

Regards,

Einear
Goonswarm Federation
#13 - 2014-04-07 20:51:14 UTC
Are you web scale

The 'do-nothing' member of the GoonSwarm Economic Warfare Cabal

The edge is REALLY hard to see at times but it DOES exist and in this case we were looking at a situation where a new feature created for all of our customers was being virtually curbstomped by five of them

Goonswarm Federation
#14 - 2014-04-07 20:55:30 UTC
Einear Lightfingers wrote:

You draw a comparison between two non congruent items. Creating a post and speaking on a post about issues that have been discussed at nauseam does not mean that I wouldn't be prepared to discuss at length with CCP about the given topic. You confuse the two very easily. On a forum thread that typically gets so much effort and attention that leads no where but quarrels of solutions and the breaks the solution creates or better the no solution. The other an engagement with CCP where a discussion can lead to results or an alternative. Thank you again.

Regards,

Einear

fun fact re: your random use of "two non congruent items": http://www.collisiondetection.net/mt/archives/2006/04/study_using_big.php

trying to crack open a thesaurus to sound smart backfires

on to the merits:

your justification for not taking the 30 minutes to post a candidate thread before now was justified, by you, that it might have been a tiny amount of wasted effort because you might not be approved/run

that is a hilarious justification because it implies even the most trivial amount of effort is too much for you without a guaranteed payoff. you're asking us to elect you to do something that requires a fair amount of effort, and one of your first moves (right after thinking you'll get to be redoing the db code) is to announce that even such piddling amounts of effort like "posting a candidacy thread" is more than you're willing to risk

Goonswarm Federation
#15 - 2014-04-07 20:59:25 UTC

Thank you, you are absolutely correct. It is not the CSMs job or responsibility to offer/recommend changes that might impact performance. It is not an advantage to have a background in global IT. If I am wrong on my view of what CSM can and should offer then perhaps CSM should expand its role, because I don't think you can limit EVE to just its content but more of how that content is provided to you. As a minion of a very large null sec alliance I would think you would want someone who could offer suggestions to enhance, stabilize, and perpetuate your conquest goals. Or do you require server crashes and TiDi to exact a win? Thank you for trying to expand my knowledge of what CSM really does.

you're only reinforcing that you have no clue what the csm does here. like at what point in the csm process do you think csm reps are polled on if lag is a good thing (a question with an answer that has been known for years) and then at what point do you think they let you go poke in the code and pontificate on how they should fix it

you're not running for a job at ccp, you're running for the csm

#16 - 2014-04-07 21:21:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Einear Lightfingers
Weaselior wrote:

you're only reinforcing that you have no clue what the csm does here. like at what point in the csm process do you think csm reps are polled on if lag is a good thing (a question with an answer that has been known for years) and then at what point do you think they let you go poke in the code and pontificate on how they should fix it

you're not running for a job at ccp, you're running for the csm

Weaselior Weaselior, what are we to do? You apparently have an answer to everything. When someone puts two words together that fall outside your day to day vocabulary your first response is to insult them for trying to make you look stupid. As far as poking the CODE, well I never said I would be afforded the luxury of looking at CCP code. I simply stated that, and I expand in some detail, if conversation discussing the issue of performance or say the need for reinforcing a server for null sec combat occurred, that I may provide other alternatives, whether they have already been attempted, reviewed and found not supported by the infrastructure, or financially not viable, another alternative to the currently deployed methods for sustaining your war efforts. Again, I will apologize if that it sounds like I am painting myself as an expert or if you are reading too much in to my post. In SIMPLIEST terms, I am saying that in the conversation of how do we make server availability more stable or reduce TiDi in null sec I MAY have suggestions that in an Global IT Department presents viable solutions that have not been considered. Again Weaselior, thank you for prodding me in to better explaining what I meant as to not portray myself in the wrong light and/or have someone assume I have the wrong intentions.
#17 - 2014-04-08 16:12:39 UTC
Hi Einear, thank you for your email.
I am new to Eve, but as i said in my response, I like it that you are supporting the High Sec. And please if you get elected try to consider helping new people a bit. As many it seems are not treated so well and I see people leaving all the time.
Not speaking about myself, as I have met a nice folks in the game and my npc corp is great with helping people out. However it s seems not everyone is having a good experience when they start.
Anyway, good luck and thank you again for your response to me.
#18 - 2014-04-08 22:03:54 UTC
Mali Talvanen wrote:
Hi Einear, thank you for your email.
I am new to Eve, but as i said in my response, I like it that you are supporting the High Sec. And please if you get elected try to consider helping new people a bit. As many it seems are not treated so well and I see people leaving all the time.
Not speaking about myself, as I have met a nice folks in the game and my npc corp is great with helping people out. However it s seems not everyone is having a good experience when they start.
Anyway, good luck and thank you again for your response to me.

Mail,

Per our exchange earlier, I thank you for your kind words. I do see the new players as an important future for EVE. There is a forum thread in Jita Park Speakers Corner called Open Question to the CSM and Candidates - New Player Engagement?. There are six very good questions there that I tried to relay my thoughts on the assistance given to new players as they enter the world of EVE. I think a combination of a #5 New Player Assistance Groups with a combination of my comments for #4 would help get new players on the right track.

The real issue is buffing a system (Item #3) affords vets to abuse the functionality. The same goes for extending the +9 training enhancement (#1) as it will allow grief squads to master their terror faster and push people out of EVE faster. Giving better bonuses for rookie missions (Item #2) is also not a good avenue as it will continue to destabilize products on the market as the content is flooded by new players selling these items and vets running the tutorials with recyclable alts.

I will contradict myself a little here as I say I think what I said in the first paragraph of items #4 and #5 being a good starting point, but I can't help think there are other things we can do to better transition new players to long term EVE players. I will continue to think on this topic and update as new ideas come to mind. If you have any suggestions please feel either update this thread as I am monitoring it or send me an EVE mail.

Thank you for the opportunity to hear what is important to you and what you think needs to be presented during CSM9 term in office. If I succeed in representing you and the EVE community as part of CSM9 you can count on me to deliver your requests with an unbiased view. Your words to my ears, communicated directly to CCP.

Regards,

Einear
#19 - 2014-04-09 03:11:28 UTC
Thank you again Einear. I do like your responses and it is nice to know that someone actually do care. The problem is that the questions are not those that would worry me much as a new player. Most seem to deal with isk, some of them I do not understand what they mean, like for example what is +9 implant.
I do not know about other new players, but I personally do not have any isk problems, at least at my current level.
Maybe the question #4 is more or less close. The most problems I see are how the new people are dealt with when they get emotionally upset. That, of course means ganking and scamming and also new people forum section. I actually do believe that I have seen a few people who did quit over the responses they got in that forum thread. They seemed to be decent people and did like the game, so it is not a good thing that they had to go. I do not really know how to deal with that, maybe you or other more experienced people can find solutions as there seem to be a group of the same people that come up each time someone has a complain about their game experience. maybe limit the number of people that can post there or something similar.
Well, most of all just talk and listen to new people and what problems do they have.
Well, anyway, I do not want to hijack your thread -). And again good luck and I do hope you would be elected, as you seem to care.
Also I would take this opportunity to again thank you and all the people in the newbie forum section and in my SAK corporation who were really helpful and find time and most of all, have patience to deal with us newbies. I know it could be annoying at times, so thank you all and keep up good work :-)
Again, good luck to you and all other candidates :-)
Affirmative.
#20 - 2014-04-09 18:55:58 UTC
Question
what are you thoughts about the corporate code CCP has pretty much left fallow since beta?
2 Pages12Next page