Topic is locked indefinitely.

2 Pages12Next page

Time Dilation Status Update

Jump to first DEV post
Author
C C P Alliance
#1 Posted: 2011.12.06 13:36
Greetings Space Warlords,

Just want to give you folks an update on the deployment of Time Dilation. As stated in the patch notes, we wanted to hold back on it until the general fallout of the release stabilized. We're nearing that point. Sadly, the mass test last Friday exposed a bug involving HUD gauges not updating properly after jumping into a previously-dilated system. A fix for that has been prepared, but we're on hold until it can be verified and deployed.

We're holding a mass test on Sisi this Thursday (8Dec) to verify the fix. Assuming that goes well and no other show-stoppers are found, the fix will deploy with Crucible 1.0.2. From there, we'll have a staged deployment of the Time Dilation feature where we turn it on selectively under supervision for a couple days before going cluster-wide.

I appreciate your patience while we roll this out responsibly.
CCP Veritas - Technical Director - EVE Online
Gallente Federation
#2 Posted: 2011.12.06 13:41
Good news! Should be a good feature, can't wait to see how it pans out for epic battles.
#3 Posted: 2011.12.06 13:43
I would like to ask if time dilation has any chance to slightly improve performance for low end computers-laptops. Just wondering, an answer from CCP or anyone that experienced it on test server will be appreciated. I will try to participate on next mass test to find out.
Gallente Federation
#4 Posted: 2011.12.06 13:46
Lek Arthie wrote:
I would like to ask if time dilation has any chance to slightly improve performance for low end computers-laptops. Just wondering, an answer from CCP or anyone that experienced it on test server will be appreciated. I will try to participate on next mass test to find out.

It just slows down server side processing so that everything that should happen, happens. Your PC will still be terribad.
C C P Alliance
#5 Posted: 2011.12.06 13:48
Lek Arthie wrote:

I would expect there to be some benefit during very large fights as there would be less going on in any given amount of time. I wouldn't bank on it though - the purpose of the feature is to keep the server responsive, any help to the client is a happy coincidence.

We do have some client optimizations in the pipe as well, but that's a different topic entirely.
#6 Posted: 2011.12.06 13:54
Obligatory "It's about time" joke.
(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)
#7 Posted: 2011.12.06 13:58
CCP Veritas wrote:
as there would be less going on in any given amount of time.

Yes thats the reason i ask. Everything looks fine with many ppl on screen till the shooting begins. When shooting starts everything slows down. Well i hope it will benefit a little.
Gallente Federation
#8 Posted: 2011.12.06 13:58
Would rather they wait till it's working properly rather than have some half baked effort that fails miserably and has people raging.
Gallente Federation
#9 Posted: 2011.12.06 13:59
Lek Arthie wrote:
CCP Veritas wrote:
as there would be less going on in any given amount of time.

Yes thats the reason i ask. Everything looks fine with many ppl on screen till the shooting begins. When shooting starts everything slows down. Well i hope it will benefit a little.

You can always turn those effects off to help performance
Goonswarm Federation
#10 Posted: 2011.12.06 14:01
All I can take away from this is

"Please roll out responsibly."

CCP Veritas is Optimus Prime, c/d?
The Initiative.
#11 Posted: 2011.12.06 14:45
CCP Veritas wrote:
Greetings Space Warlords,

Just want to give you folks an update on the deployment of Time Dilation. As stated in the patch notes, we wanted to hold back on it until the general fallout of the release stabilized. We're nearing that point. Sadly, the mass test last Friday exposed a bug involving HUD gauges not updating properly after jumping into a previously-dilated system. A fix for that has been prepared, but we're on hold until it can be verified and deployed.

We're holding a mass test on Sisi this Thursday (8Dec) to verify the fix. Assuming that goes well and no other show-stoppers are found, the fix will deploy with Crucible 1.0.2. From there, we'll have a staged deployment of the Time Dilation feature where we turn it on selectively under supervision for a couple days before going cluster-wide.

I appreciate your patience while we roll this out responsibly.

Supporting this. TiDi is one feature that really does have to work right first time on release.
Here is my CSM9 endorsement list - vote for diversity of expertise : Ali Aras  Mangala Solaris  Mike Azariah  Steve Ronuken
James Arget  Xander Phoena  Sugar Kyle  corbexx  mynnna  progodlegend  Psychotic Monk  Jayne Fillion
#12 Posted: 2011.12.06 14:58
Good luck on the testing.
Dust 514's CPM 0 Iron Wolf Saber
Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues. 
#13 Posted: 2011.12.06 15:02
PLEASE CCP, do it, please do it, please do it.

It's incredibly annoying to wait 30sec to target crap, to see your guns cycle when the fracking target is not there anymore, to re log 5min later and find out your ship isn't even not warping at the fight point anymore but at the fracking POS someone warped you in 10min sooner...

500+ man battle is just awfull, I'm not using fibre or cable but ADSL+ (20 mega) witch should not be bad at all considering I'm using hardware updated (by my self) and not older than 1 year knowing it's high end stuff (read the best it you can get out there whenever I change the smallest part).

I don't know if it has something to do with location and main servers (yeah the fracking economic politics irl that shift on everyone life), I don't know what the trouble is considering you guys stuff, from what I read, is clearly more than enough to make 1K +players battle fluid.

But please do something.
C C P Alliance
#14 Posted: 2011.12.06 17:14
SmashTech wrote:
CCP Veritas is Optimus Prime, c/d?

I can neither confirm nor deny that I am a truck shaped robot.
C C P Alliance
#15 Posted: 2011.12.16 18:07
An update to my update:

We had another mass test last night in order to hopefully verify some speculative fixes to the problem (meaning we weren't certain we had it, but thought we might). That turned out to be a negative, sadly. On the plus side, I'm rather confident that the root of the problem with shields and such not updating has been identified. So that's kind of a big deal.

The bad news is that since we're rapidly approaching the holidays and folks going on vacation and such, any fix for that won't hit before January. So...that's where we stand there.

Thanks again for your patience, and I'm deeply sorry for the wait,
~CCP Veritas
Otherworld Empire
#16 Posted: 2011.12.16 18:07
so slow.... Lol
★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★
Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'
Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar
Caldari State
#17 Posted: 2011.12.16 18:12
So time dilation is going to take a while longer.... I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere

Roll
#18 Posted: 2011.12.16 18:15
joke... tidi... devs pushed the tidi button on the RL universe... ah, forget it.
Maxim 34: If you're leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
Amarr Empire
#19 Posted: 2011.12.16 18:32
Thanks for the updates, and big thanks for not pushing it out before it's ready.

Keep up the good work, Optimus.
Black Thorne Alliance
#20 Posted: 2011.12.16 18:32
I bet I know why it's taking longer and longer.. TiDi is a BLACK HOLE!
The closer we're getting to it, the more TiDi kicks in, until we hit the event horizon and Eve will DISSAPEAR!

Maybe they should bring some of the scientists at CERN over to iceland to give them a hand with the temporal mechanics involved.
Does railgun ammunition come in Hollow Point?
2 Pages12Next page