Test Server Feedback

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

[Hyperion] A new way to share overview settings

First post First post
Author
#81 - 2014-08-02 12:57:53 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
Sentient Blade wrote:
CCP karkur wrote:
Some of you want ability to "restore" your overview... remember that you can always create a link to your overview the way you like it, so the best way I see to do this (rather than us implementing some "restore overview" behavior) is to create a link with the overview you are happy with and store it in for example your notepad (or bio if you don't mind other people seeing it, or corp bulletins etc). That wway you could store links to many overviews like "pvp overview", "mining overview", "overview for noobs", and if you happen to override your overview with something you don't like, clicking one of those links will restore it.


I think it's a bit of an ugly workaround for something which can be messed up with 1 click... If you're adding the feature, I'm sure we'd all benefit you spending the extra few hours to add the necessary polish to it with a revert.
Let me look further into it when I get back from vacation Smile


What are you doing working during your vacation! Go relax, have fun P

The CSM XI Election are now open until March 25th, 2016. Consider Niko Lorenzio for CSM XI.

CSM matters, your voice matters, your vote matters!

#82 - 2014-08-02 13:32:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Noriko Mai
It's too dark.
EDIT: It's fixed

"Meh.." - Albert Einstein

#83 - 2014-08-02 22:56:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Niko Lorenzio
CCP karkur wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Does this mean that overview states will finally be made useful?

Example: Show only war targets.
The states are not changing (the presentation of them is, so it's more obvious that you are picking what to filter out).

When starting this, I thought we had to completely change the states, so you would pick what you wanted in your overview (example: war targets) rather than what you didn't want.
When looking better into it, we quickly ran into this case
- I want -5 dudes in my overview so I check them -> my corp mates that are -5 now all show in the overview, not what I want

So (at least for now) it's the same as before, sorry if that's not ideal for you What?


What about including both?

Have an include & exclude checkmark, with Exclude having the priority.
Include, will show.
Exclude, will never show.
And those with neither will not show up unless another parameter is met.

For example, for HS combat:
Include: Wartarget, Outlaw, Suspect
Exclude: Corp, Alliance, fleet etc.
Neither: Pilot has no standing

If your corpmate goes suspect, you won't see him. If neutral is not a wartarget or a suspect, he won't show up. If a neutral goes suspect, he will show up.

EDIT: "Show" / "Never Show" are probably better indicators for what the switch does.

The CSM XI Election are now open until March 25th, 2016. Consider Niko Lorenzio for CSM XI.

CSM matters, your voice matters, your vote matters!

Mercenary Coalition
#84 - 2014-08-03 14:19:13 UTC
is there going to be an option to open a clicked overview into a new tab? would allow you to easily open someone elses overview and use it quickly without having to have an empty tab already set up.
Shadow Cartel
#85 - 2014-08-03 23:35:33 UTC  |  Edited by: CW Itovuo
CCP karkur wrote:
We want to keep this fairly simple...



Simple?

The overview has always been a pound-head-against-the-wall part of the game.


While the value of sharable OVs is yet to be determined, I think CCP could take it a step further. I've always found the tabs & brackets combination to be counterintuitive. Tabs have always made sense. Brackets a little less so. I'd prefer to simply have tabs increase from 5 to 10, with no brackets. (Nullsec, CAP warfare, carebearing pilots might have different needs, which includes brackets... IDK.)


What I'd really like to see is an out-of-game CCP website, where one could safely modify their overview settings. All of the options would be visible on a single page rather than the small multi-tabbed in-game box. A player could click on "create new tab" and then select all the applicable boxes. Display priorities could be set, either through drag & drop like the in-game system, or by a simple numerical rank 1...10. Changes would show up on a preview overview. When satisfied, you'd simply create a name for the TAB and then save it. The player could then select which TABs he/she wanted imported to the client, and in what order.

This proposed out-of-game method of OV changes would supplement to the current in-game system, not replace it. I've read old forum posts that this was once available to players, but no more.


In general, and probably should have started with this, I prefer to have the tools to set my own overview. What CCP currently has is rather infuriating. Relying on a second party to provide me with what their version of what my overview should look like is unpalatable.
Evil Monkies Incorporated
#86 - 2014-08-06 11:53:05 UTC
If you can share your overview settings like this is it possible to include fleet bookmarks that can be shared in somewhat similar way? Idea
Gallente Federation
#87 - 2014-08-09 03:45:07 UTC
How about a sixth tab, like temporary tab to any new overview before its saved and named, that can be used to preview any new overviews clicked?
C C P Alliance
#88 - 2014-08-09 19:55:45 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP karkur
Just a heads up:
Next time we update Sisi, all existing links will be missing all the tab presets, because a tiny change we had to make.

So if you are using Sisi to practice for the AT and are relying on the new overview links to load different profiles in your overview, you might want to export those overview profiles now. Then before importing them replace the word "profiles" with "presets" in the yaml files you are importing.

(the overview you have active now should work just fine, it's just if you are using existing links/yaml files to load a new overview profile).

CCP karkur | Programmer | Team Five 0 | @CCP_karkur

Vae. Victis.
#89 - 2014-08-10 21:57:10 UTC
Many thanks for the hard work, especially those of you on vacation. Smile

This will be very helpful for players new and old alike.

Not to disparage the hard work already put in, but I think it might have been a bit more appealing if these settings were imported/exported one tab at a time... and only if you have a tab free. Otherwise you are given the proposed prompt to back up that tab in case you prefer your old settings (of course it would give you the option of which tab to overwrite if all of your tabs are full).

I'd keep a tab free to check out new overviews, or for special cases where you are working with other friendly corps/alliances and all need to stay on the same page for a limited amount of time.

I'm just saying that would allow more flexibility, and I'd be more confident about accepting an overview setting that I could easily tab away from (because my vital settings are on other tabs already). I could then decide if I have a need to make that tab a permanent addition or replacement for my own settings after playing with it on for awhile.

That being said, this is a huge step in the right direction for one of the most frustrating parts of EVE game play for many people.

I think, if the truth be known, that the fear of looking stupid because your overview settings aren't right is one of the main things that keeps people from taking their first step into PVP activities... and trying to figure out all the intricacies the first time (often in a hurry) makes people just throw up their hands after a while and not bother with it at all.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Vae. Victis.
#90 - 2014-08-10 22:02:30 UTC
I've also toyed with the idea that perhaps it might be a good idea to have a popup whenever you are aggressed by someone or something not already on your overview.

A popup that does not steal focus from what will likely be frenzied activity in response to the situation, but is easy to see off to the side and a single click will add that entity (or entities) to your overview at least temporarily.

This might help when a new player is first attacked by another, or when they forget to add all the NPCs to their overview they might run into when doing a mission.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

C C P Alliance
#91 - 2014-08-11 10:32:36 UTC
Once again, thanks to all of you for the feedback.

Ranger 1 wrote:
I think it might have been a bit more appealing if these settings were imported/exported one tab at a time... and only if you have a tab free. Otherwise you are given the proposed prompt to back up that tab in case you prefer your old settings (of course it would give you the option of which tab to overwrite if all of your tabs are full).


Importing an overview profile using this new method will not overwrite any previously saved tab presets (unless they have the same names - an issue we are currently looking into). This means that as long as you remember to save your presets before clicking on a shared overview profile link, you can simply load your saved presets back into any tab with just a few clicks afterwards, effectively mixing and matching two profiles.

Ranger 1 wrote:
I've also toyed with the idea that perhaps it might be a good idea to have a popup whenever you are aggressed by someone or something not already on your overview.


That's a really great idea! We will definitely look into this soon :)

One more thing - we are looking into adding some kind of overview history feature, as that would address many concerns voiced in this thread. More details on this later.
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#92 - 2014-08-11 11:45:48 UTC
While it's a far larger scope, long term it'd be good if the filtering logic for the overview could be changed.

So it's inclusive, rather than exclusive. Or even better, tripart logic, rather than two options.

I'd like to be able to have an overview which shows nothing but outlaws, and all outlaws. Right now, that's not possible. The moment I untick the 'no standing' box, anyone who I don't have a standing for, ceases to show up on the overview.


Ideally, something like:
Show,
not selected,
never show

as the options.

So I could select Show for outlaws, and leave the rest unselected, and get all outlaws. But if I wanted to only show outlaws who I don't have a standing for, I could put in 'never show' options for the standing levels.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

#93 - 2014-08-11 13:15:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Niko Lorenzio
CCP Turtlepower wrote:
Once again, thanks to all of you for the feedback.

Ranger 1 wrote:
I think it might have been a bit more appealing if these settings were imported/exported one tab at a time... and only if you have a tab free. Otherwise you are given the proposed prompt to back up that tab in case you prefer your old settings (of course it would give you the option of which tab to overwrite if all of your tabs are full).


Importing an overview profile using this new method will not overwrite any previously saved tab presets (unless they have the same names - an issue we are currently looking into). This means that as long as you remember to save your presets before clicking on a shared overview profile link, you can simply load your saved presets back into any tab with just a few clicks afterwards, effectively mixing and matching two profiles.

Ranger 1 wrote:
I've also toyed with the idea that perhaps it might be a good idea to have a popup whenever you are aggressed by someone or something not already on your overview.


That's a really great idea! We will definitely look into this soon :)

One more thing - we are looking into adding some kind of overview history feature, as that would address many concerns voiced in this thread. More details on this later.


We're importing the entire settings, tab names, appearances tab, columns etc. This is way beyond the tabs. Best thing you could do is give us the ability to save our entire overview. We import another, say this sucks, and revert to the old settings.

The CSM XI Election are now open until March 25th, 2016. Consider Niko Lorenzio for CSM XI.

CSM matters, your voice matters, your vote matters!

The 20 Minuters
#94 - 2014-08-11 16:13:11 UTC
CCP Turtlepower wrote:
When clicking an overview link, an un-suppressible modal window pops up to let you know exactly what is going on, and the overview will not be imported unless you click 'Yes'.


Please NOT MODAL.

Yes it needs a confirmation, but you've been spending time over the last couple of years removing all the needlessly modal dialogs!

I'm sat on a gate, with not much going on. I'm reading mail and just as I'm clicking on a link, local goes up and I need to react - unfortunately I've got this stupid modal window to deal with.

Or assuming I'm only dealing with this whilst perfectly safe, I might click a link in a chat window - and have the confirmation window appear. However before I click yes, I might want to just ask the person in the chat window another question...

Another thought on this - I don't believe there's currently any method of configuring your overview whilst docked? What happens if I click a link in a chat or EveMail whilst docked?
AddictClan
#95 - 2014-08-11 17:00:53 UTC
Green Gambit wrote:
CCP Turtlepower wrote:
When clicking an overview link, an un-suppressible modal window pops up to let you know exactly what is going on, and the overview will not be imported unless you click 'Yes'.


Please NOT MODAL.

Yes it needs a confirmation, but you've been spending time over the last couple of years removing all the needlessly modal dialogs!

I'm sat on a gate, with not much going on. I'm reading mail and just as I'm clicking on a link, local goes up and I need to react - unfortunately I've got this stupid modal window to deal with.

Or assuming I'm only dealing with this whilst perfectly safe, I might click a link in a chat window - and have the confirmation window appear. However before I click yes, I might want to just ask the person in the chat window another question...

Another thought on this - I don't believe there's currently any method of configuring your overview whilst docked? What happens if I click a link in a chat or EveMail whilst docked?


Let me remind you of the fact that you wouldn't see anyone in your overview, seeing as you just clicked the overview which only has an asteroids tab spread by the enemy fleet.. The modal window just saved you Lol
#96 - 2014-08-11 19:21:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Bessa Miros
can the settings be per character instead of per account?
#97 - 2014-08-11 21:10:34 UTC
Does the new import/export saving also save the customisable corp/alliance tag input boxes?
ie this section... http://i.imgur.com/s8SezYG.png
#98 - 2014-08-11 21:25:37 UTC
I can't figure out how to load an existing preset.

It used to be that you right click on the settings icon in the overview settings window. If I have a bracket preset, how do I load it to modify it?

The CSM XI Election are now open until March 25th, 2016. Consider Niko Lorenzio for CSM XI.

CSM matters, your voice matters, your vote matters!

Ivy League
#99 - 2014-08-11 21:40:01 UTC
Perhaps this is the wrong time to ask, but can a better description of the item in the overview be setup? like a hover over or something. for example just what is a "flashpoint", is a "convoy" an NPC or Player ship?

I do know some of those answers but only after lots of searching the internet and forums. it would also help in setting up the overviews.

J0n Br0wn

#100 - 2014-08-11 22:13:35 UTC
Nice to see stuff happening to the overview.
But there's a lot of stuff to change before it's unfucked. I'm still waiting for the day when I can see just the people in my fleet without showing everyone else as well. Until then I'll just keep banging my head into the wall until the setup is good enough ^^
Forum Jump