Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
7 Pages123Next pageLast page
 

[Phoebe] Change to Interdictor Bubble and Station Mechanics

First post First post
Author
C C P Alliance
#1 - 2014-10-09 17:55:30 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Phantom
Another of the many mechanics that we're looking at for Phoebe is the so-called "hobojamming" mechanic. This is the mechanic where an interdictor pilot can undock from a station, drop a bubble to block capital ships from leaving the station, and then immediately redock before being locked.

In general we like to have lots of good methods for disrupting larger groups, but this "undock-bubble-dock-repeat" mechanic doesn't provide enough risk to the dictor pilot to be properly balanced.

So after Phoebe if a player in an Interdictor ship docks at a station that shares a grid with some of his or her Warp Disrupt Probes, those probes owned by the docking pilot will be automatically destroyed.

We believe that this change provides us the best solution to keeping the station-camping gameplay balanced while avoiding breaking other aspects of interdictor gameplay.

Big thanks to all the players who have engaged in the robust and lively discussion around this issue of the past several months, reading these discussions greatly helped us zero in on the best change.

Game Designer | Team Five-0

Twitter: @CCP_Fozzie
Twitch chat: ccp_fozzie

Almost Awesome.
#2 - 2014-10-09 17:57:00 UTC  |  Edited by: TheMercenaryKing
I will allow it.

How about the moment a person does a session change, like Jump a gate, burn back, bubble, and jump.
Pandemic Legion
#3 - 2014-10-09 17:59:51 UTC
ok
#4 - 2014-10-09 18:02:59 UTC
Seems pretty reasonable!

http://soundcloud.com/davidkmagnus/fight-us-maybe

http://soundcloud.com/davidkmagnus/winterupdate

http://soundcloud.com/davidkmagnus/supercaps

http://soundcloud.com/davidkmagnus/pandemiclegion

Goonswarm Federation
#5 - 2014-10-09 18:03:28 UTC
CCP jammed my hobo Sad
Goonswarm Federation
#6 - 2014-10-09 18:03:43 UTC
RIP, hobojamming. You were too good for this world. *sniff*

This post was crafted by the wormhole expert of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

Caldari State
#7 - 2014-10-09 18:05:32 UTC
Now can we make it so that interceptors care immune to anchored bubbles, but not those from interdictors or heavy interdictors?
Pandemic Legion
#8 - 2014-10-09 18:06:42 UTC
Couldn't you just have 2 or 3 dictors juggling bubbles before they are locked?

Follow us @PLIRC!

Pandemic Legion
#9 - 2014-10-09 18:07:48 UTC
What about through gates? Or if people eject? Is it only docking that destroys them?
C C P Alliance
#10 - 2014-10-09 18:07:59 UTC
Centra Spike wrote:
Couldn't you just have 2 or 3 dictors juggling bubbles before they are locked?


Considering that the bubbles will expire instantly when the dictors dock, this would only be viable if there are no fast locking ships around. We'll keep an eye on how this develops in practice of course.

Game Designer | Team Five-0

Twitter: @CCP_Fozzie
Twitch chat: ccp_fozzie

skill urself
#11 - 2014-10-09 18:08:06 UTC
seems ok, not the most elegant solution but whatever

now remove ceptor bubble immunity please

gay gamers for jesus

The Tuskers Co.
#12 - 2014-10-09 18:10:45 UTC
Centra Spike wrote:
Couldn't you just have 2 or 3 dictors juggling bubbles before they are locked?

well yeah, but i takes 3 guys instead of 1 and a lot more chances of someone messing up if they want to keep bubbles up continously. Park one arty nado off the undock and just wait for that mistake to get a kill or force them to play it safe and create gaps in bubble coverage so friendly forces can warp out.
#13 - 2014-10-09 18:17:08 UTC
Just out of curiosity, there's no plan to implement this same mechanic for stargates right?


Please say you won't do this for stargates too.
#14 - 2014-10-09 18:18:40 UTC
THANK GOD
#15 - 2014-10-09 18:22:41 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Another of the many mechanics that we're looking at for Phoebe is the so-called "hobojamming" mechanic. This is the mechanic where an interdictor pilot can undock from a station, drop a bubble to block capital ships from leaving the station, and then immediately redock before being locked.

In general we like to have lots of good methods for disrupting larger groups, but this "undock-bubble-dock-repeat" mechanic doesn't provide enough risk to the dictor pilot to be properly balanced.

So after Phoebe if a player in an Interdictor ship docks at a station that shares a grid with some of his or her Warp Disrupt Probes, those probes owned by the docking pilot will be automatically destroyed.

We believe that this change provides us the best solution to keeping the station-camping gameplay balanced while avoiding breaking other aspects of interdictor gameplay.

Big thanks to all the players who have engaged in the robust and lively discussion around this issue of the past several months, reading these discussions greatly helped us zero in on the best change.


Not sure who crawled up CCP's ass and decided to screw with the Goons but well done Fozzie, that is probably one of the most idiotic waste of time CCP have made this year. So much broken with the game and you decide to waste code on hobo jamming. How soon before you leave for Riot?
Mercenary Coalition
#16 - 2014-10-09 18:23:29 UTC
so to clarify, I could bubble station A, warp and dock in station B, and the bubble will stay? Same logic for gates as well?
Pandemic Legion
#17 - 2014-10-09 18:27:04 UTC
Rowells wrote:
so to clarify, I could bubble station A, warp and dock in station B, and the bubble will stay? Same logic for gates as well?



Except before you get out of your bubble for station A, the theory is the insta locks kill you
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2014-10-09 18:28:53 UTC
Techno Model wrote:


Not sure who crawled up CCP's ass and decided to screw with the Goons but well done Fozzie, that is probably one of the most idiotic waste of time CCP have made this year. So much broken with the game and you decide to waste code on hobo jamming. How soon before you leave for Riot?


It must be a good change to extract so much rage from a CFC posting alt.


#19 - 2014-10-09 18:28:55 UTC
Man yall are makin some good changes, now all thats left is to beat the ishtar with a nerf bat until it stops moving and make interceptors catchable on gates.
The Initiative.
#20 - 2014-10-09 18:29:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Overlord Invictus
err Fozzie, do you play eve online at all? how is this apparent 'fix' in any way playing to the sandbox when a single bomb launched at the bubble resolves the problem of hobo jamming entirely and promotes teamplay?

also if this hobo jamming fix is straightforward and logical, then bubbles should self destruct on gates if interdictors jump through them, or if they log or disconnect in a fight.

plus logic dictates that if any ship should be bubble immune it should be the combat ships that have to deal with bubbles and being bubbled as a combat tool. eg: make interdictors and HIC's bubble immune. but i guess you're too jaded for that to occur. Lets not have a game make sense right?
7 Pages123Next pageLast page
Forum Jump