EVE General Discussion

 
^ Back to top

Topic is locked indefinitely.

 

The Eve Christmas gift debacle

Author
Fatal Ascension
#1 Posted: 2011.12.30 10:59  |  Edited by: Landrae
http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=3361

This blog states "EVE Online Customer Support is going to step up to the task and ensure that every pilot that contacts us before Thursday, January 5 at 23:59 UTC will receive any gifts or promotional items that they were eligible to receive over the holiday period."

Does this mean the people who weren't lazy and actually paid attention and got our gifts can get another one?
#2 Posted: 2011.12.30 11:08
I'll admit I am not the smartest person on the Internet.

That being said though with all the binge drinking, cosuming of illicit drugs and all night parties combined with bicycle assembly you tend to get this time of year I did not notice the arse about method of gift selection. After years of Pavlov's dogs training to click on the redeem button I've been waiting for it to do something.

I'll be happy to grab a freebie but I can't help but feel the solution is worse than the problem.

Hope you enjoyed your holiday season in the basement paying attention Landrae. Blink
#3 Posted: 2011.12.30 11:11  |  Edited by: Ai Shun
Landrae wrote:
This blog states "EVE Online Customer Support is going to step up to the task and ensure that every pilot that contacts us before Thursday, January 5 at 23:59 UTC will receive any gifts or promotional items that they were eligible to receive over the holiday period."


If they forgot / ignored / too stupid to claim it; are they still eligible?

Graic Gabtar wrote:
Hope you enjoyed your holiday season in the basement paying attention Landrae. Blink


Heh. I was one of the fortunate few that finished work on the 23rd and still managed to grab a gift. The drinking and all night parties and so forth a few weeks before the 22nd sounds good though. Wish RL would allow me that amount of leeway Lol
#4 Posted: 2011.12.30 13:12  |  Edited by: Llyandrian
And just to add insult to eagerness, the petition system is failing silently at the moment.

Cool it's fixed now.
C C P Alliance
#5 Posted: 2011.12.30 13:41
Landrae wrote:
Does this mean the people who weren't lazy and actually paid attention and got our gifts can get another one?


No.

We want all those that were eligible to enjoy the holiday gift program. It is really quite that simple.

Yes, we have a lot of petitions and there are going to be some delays in responding to everybody. We are working as hard as we can to respond to everyone and hope to pick up more speed following the New Year as we get more GMs in from the holidays.

We're sorry for any delays, we'll hopefully get to everybody soon.
Senior Game Master | CCP Games Customer Support Team

Helping capsuleers since 2004.
Gallente Federation
#6 Posted: 2011.12.30 13:47  |  Edited by: Mr Kidd
Landrae wrote:
http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=3361

Does this mean the people who weren't lazy and actually paid attention and got our gifts can get another one?


No, it means that the way they rolled out the gifts wasn't smooth or concise leading to issues. There were several issues that CCP is attempting to address.

1) Implants limited availability to be redeemed - effectively is like your parents giving you x-mas gifts but, only if you can unwrap them all within 10 seconds.

2) Second set of gifting wasn't advertised properly - initially it was a sub-topic that was casually mentioned in the new implants dev-blog. The only people talking about it were the people who read that dev-blog. Sorry, but lots of us don't read every blog. I saw people on the forum talking about the "gifts" but I had no clue. Now, being it was a subtopic and not knowing what dev blog it was in how do you suppose someone was supposed to know? I had to post on the forum asking about the gifts to get a straight answer.

3) Remaps as gifts - It was there, it was gone, there it was again - I actually chose my gift after CCP had said they were removing remaps with no indication that they would return. I had to petition to get remaps.

4) Gifts going to the wrong toons on accounts

So, yeah, CCP's deployment of gifting this year wasn't exactly smooth. Giving everyone until the 5th seems like good customer service.
Don't ban me, bro!
Dirt Nap Squad.
#7 Posted: 2011.12.30 14:09
Mr Kidd wrote:
Landrae wrote:
http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=3361

Does this mean the people who weren't lazy and actually paid attention and got our gifts can get another one?


No, it means that the way they rolled out the gifts wasn't smooth or concise leading to issues. There were several issues that CCP is attempting to address.

1) Implants limited availability to be redeemed - effectively is like your parents giving you x-mas gifts but, only if you can unwrap them all within 10 seconds.

2) Second set of gifting wasn't advertised properly - initially it was a sub-topic that was casually mentioned in the new implants dev-blog. The only people talking about it were the people who read that dev-blog. Sorry, but lots of us don't read every blog. I saw people on the forum talking about the "gifts" but I had no clue. Now, being it was a subtopic and not knowing what dev blog it was in how do you suppose someone was supposed to know? I had to post on the forum asking about the gifts to get a straight answer.

3) Remaps as gifts - It was there, it was gone, there it was again - I actually chose my gift after CCP had said they were removing remaps with no indication that they would return. I had to petition to get remaps.

4) Gifts going to the wrong toons on accounts

So, yeah, CCP's deployment of gifting this year wasn't exactly smooth. Giving everyone until the 5th seems like good customer service.


I did what I was told and none of my accounts got their X-mas gifts... Cry
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." --H.L. Mencken
Echoes of Nowhere
#8 Posted: 2011.12.30 14:23
i posted a topic about imo the information was fail about it, but i do think ccp solved it fair and rightly to make sure every person that doesnt read the forums 24/7 has a chance to get something now.

U can call the people that missed it blind or whatever but i for one seriously did not see any of it since i tend to focus on updates and corp/alliance forums, also im used to read downtime info or update info when i log in the client so the gift info is then easily missed.

I do appologize to the people that were offended by my topic.
#9 Posted: 2011.12.30 15:06  |  Edited by: Ghoest
Im not sure it rises to "debacle" level but requiring players going into account management to claim the gift was really dumb.

If you are going to require players actively claim a gift then you should put it on the character log in page or have a pop up in game.
Wherever You Went - Here You Are
#10 Posted: 2011.12.30 16:23
I think the idea of giving players a choice from a wide range of gifts was PR genius. Almost negating that was the mystifying way it was "advertised" and enabled. The commitment to honor the gift anyway, irregardless of the circumstances, is another plus for CCP. I was one of the boneheads who even found the list, but still missed any reference to a deadline for making the choice. I petitioned as instructed, and after a few days I recieved a gift.The gift was only somewhat similar to what I asked for(my description was a bit dodgy, going from memory) but I'm not complaining. Free is free, for crying out loud.

There is CCP telling a player to" HTFU", and there is telling a customer "yes sir". Both have their place and time. Sometimes CCP has gotten it wrong, but this time they(eventually) got it right.

As with most things, some sharp people "got it" and some of us not-so-sharp people didn't. IN game that's fine. A company Xmas gift to it's customers? That's a no-brainer. Fix it. They did(are). End of story, and nothing to complain about.

Long Live EVE.

The Bloc
#11 Posted: 2011.12.30 16:31
Kla2 wrote:
As with most things, some sharp people "got it" and some of us not-so-sharp people didn't. IN game that's fine. A company Xmas gift to it's customers? That's a no-brainer. Fix it. They did(are). End of story, and nothing to complain about.

Long Live EVE.



I agree i missed out on the extra gifts on 2 accounts but not gonna bother petitioning or crying on the forums.Missing out on a freebie is not my biggest concern ineve Blink


We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
#12 Posted: 2011.12.30 17:31
Quick note to CCP to avoid this trouble in the future:

Default to one specific gift if a player does not make a selection for their account by the deadline, so no one feels they got "stiffed".

The holiday six5-pack of Quafe Zero would have been a good choice here as it is a consumable item and was already given out as a previous freebie.

With all that said, I was paying attention and my accounts got their chosen gifts without any issues. Except I don't have a basement. It would have flooded at least once this year most likely.
Caldari State
#13 Posted: 2011.12.30 17:33
GM Spiral wrote:
Landrae wrote:
Does this mean the people who weren't lazy and actually paid attention and got our gifts can get another one?


No.

We want all those that were eligible to enjoy the holiday gift program. It is really quite that simple.

Yes, we have a lot of petitions and there are going to be some delays in responding to everybody. We are working as hard as we can to respond to everyone and hope to pick up more speed following the New Year as we get more GMs in from the holidays.

We're sorry for any delays, we'll hopefully get to everybody soon.


How about people like myself who missed the first implant so took advantage of the gift selection to get that implant to complete the set, can we choose something else? if i had klnown this was going to happen i wouldn't have selected the implant and waited to petition getting it and chose soemthing else.
#14 Posted: 2011.12.30 17:38
I got my gifts via petition as I missed the poorly thought-out one-time ad (it was hidden behind a patch notice) and didn't see the news item on the right side. I admit I wasn't paying attention to that, but when that "news" is just as often full of irrelevant stuff or outright fiction (game lore storylines) I've learned to ignore it.

In the future, CCP, please remember that you built a very functional e-mail system inside Eve that would be perfect for letting people know about things. And there's a nifty calender that you could post it to. You could also do something like put a "gift token" in the redeemable items that would tell people how to get their goodies.
Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.
C C P Alliance
#15 Posted: 2011.12.30 17:42
Naran Eto wrote:
How about people like myself who missed the first implant so took advantage of the gift selection to get that implant to complete the set, can we choose something else? if i had klnown this was going to happen i wouldn't have selected the implant and waited to petition getting it and chose soemthing else.


Send us a line and we'll see what we can do for you. You shouldn't be cheated out of a gift. Apologies up front for any delays in response times.
Senior Game Master | CCP Games Customer Support Team

Helping capsuleers since 2004.
#16 Posted: 2011.12.30 20:36
Just a reminder from Real World:

A week ago, petition system was already clogged with 5,500 pending petitions (vs. an average of 1,500).

So, good luck petitioning anything for the next, huh, month? What?
The Greater Fool Bar is now open for business, 24/7. Come and have drinks and fun somewhere between RL and New Eden! Ingame chat channel: The Greater Fool Bar
#17 Posted: 2011.12.31 09:22
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
Just a reminder from Real World:

A week ago, petition system was already clogged with 5,500 pending petitions (vs. an average of 1,500).

So, good luck petitioning anything for the next, huh, month? What?


One of the benefits of players not paying attention to the communication from CCP. So anybody hoping to raise a problem for a real issue; you know who to thank Big smile
#18 Posted: 2011.12.31 09:32
Ai Shun wrote:
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
Just a reminder from Real World:

A week ago, petition system was already clogged with 5,500 pending petitions (vs. an average of 1,500).

So, good luck petitioning anything for the next, huh, month? What?


One of the benefits of players not paying attention to the communication from CCP. So anybody hoping to raise a problem for a real issue; you know who to thank Big smile


The Stoopid, making somebody else's issues become your trouble since ever. Lol
The Greater Fool Bar is now open for business, 24/7. Come and have drinks and fun somewhere between RL and New Eden! Ingame chat channel: The Greater Fool Bar
Gatekeepers Universe
#19 Posted: 2011.12.31 12:10
A tip to players in the future. stop being derp and learn how to read.
CEO of B.U.T.T.

Forum Jump