Linux

^ Back to top

Topic is locked indefinitely.

2 Pages12Next page

Need help, new to Linux.

Author
Minmatar Republic
#1 Posted: 2012.01.05 13:06
Just bought a new computer. I couldn't afford an OS. I thought Linux would get the job done for now. I have no idea what to do though. How do I Install EVE? What do I need? Can anyone help please? If you can please try to keep it simple, I'm a noob to this.
thanks in advance.
Kill It With Fire
#2 Posted: 2012.01.05 15:34
First of all when you ask for help you should provide more details about your system. For instance it would be helpfull to mention what distribution of Linux you are using. I would also like to mention that Linux is similar as Eve in the aspect to learn how to use it, you will need to read A LOT. First help can always be found by googling your problem and searching on Linux forums (i.e. the Ubuntu forums or the forums for your distribution). Some distributions have excellent wiki's (e.g. Arch Linux) or great documentation (e.g. Gentoo). I strongly suggest you learn to use them and enjoy the learning process.

Now to your problem, I think it is safe to assume you are using Ubuntu because you mentioned that you are new to Linux and you obviously don't know that you need to use Wine to run windows programs on Linux. Most of the time Linux newbie's tend to be using Ubuntu. In case you are not using Ubuntu, then you need to adjust the steps for installing Wine for your distribution.

1) 2 step install of Wine for ubuntu
2) Follow the steps 5 to 7
3) If you have no idea what the steps are telling you to do, then ask here.
4) In case of problems related to installing Eve then ask here as well, but don't forget to provide some detailed information on what you did and errors you got.

If all goes well then you should be playing Eve pretty soon.
Minmatar Republic
#3 Posted: 2012.01.06 05:27  |  Edited by: Chocolate Digestive
Alright. My apologies. I'm on Ubuntu 11.10. I've downloaded WIne and I'm trying to launch the launcher. I get this error message, "The file '/tmp/EVE_Online_Installer_329614.exe' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit.". I have read about the executable bit but I have no idea how to mark the launcher as safe? I assume its through the terminal, however I don't want to mess about and doing something that could damage the OS.
Kill It With Fire
#4 Posted: 2012.01.06 10:24  |  Edited by: Nebu Retski
I don't use Ubuntu so I can't tell if there is a way of making it executable through a GUI dialog or not.
First move the file to a directory in your home folder then right click the file and select properties, look through the tabs and see if you can find something like permissions. If you can find that you can must select executable.

If you can't find in the file properties then you can do it through the terminal. First again move the file somewhere to your home folder. Open a terminal and go to the directory that holds your file ("cd /home/you/folder"). Then you need to change the permissions on the file as follows to make it executable -> "chmod 777 file" (if you get an error message that you don't have the permission to do so then you do "sudo chmod 777 file").

Once you changed the permissions it should be fine to execute the installer.

Btw here is a wiki entry from the Arch Linux wiki about chmod and permissions. It's a wiki from a different distribution, but it works exactly the same on all distributions.
Caldari State
#5 Posted: 2012.01.06 17:22
right click the eve installer and hit run with wine or open with wine (will be something along that line)
Scary Wormhole People
#6 Posted: 2012.01.06 17:55
In ubuntu, you can make it executable by right clicking, going to properties, then in permissions tab there is a tic box (allow execute) or something similar.
Minmatar Republic
#7 Posted: 2012.01.07 02:39
Thanks for the help guys.
I've got it installed now but it refuses to run. I double click on the file and the title card loads up. Then it just ends? I don't know if I'm being very descriptive. Basically the log in page wont show up.
Caldari State
#8 Posted: 2012.01.07 03:09
lol at-least your screen doesn't go black and freezes like mine does
Kill It With Fire
#9 Posted: 2012.01.07 12:51
Try running it from the command line as such:

1) Open a terminal + run the following
2) wine explorer /desktop=EVE,1920x1200 .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/CCP/EVE/eve.exe

you might need to change some things like resolution (1920x1200 in my case) + the folder where eve is installed (.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/CCP/EVE/eve.exe in my case). The . in front of the path to eve.exe is important as the wine folder is most likely hidden (files and folders with a . infront are hidden, in the terminal you can see them if you do ls -a).

Then let us know what error you are getting in the terminal + details about your graphics card and what drivers you have installed.
Minmatar Republic
#10 Posted: 2012.01.07 12:55  |  Edited by: Chocolate Digestive
"wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\plugplay.exe"
err:ole:COMPOBJ_DllList_Add couldn't load in-process dll L"C:\\windows\\system32\\gameux.dll"
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context 0x1
err:module:import_dll Library MSVCP80.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\kenan\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\CCP\\EVE\\bin\\ExeFile.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\kenan\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\CCP\\EVE\\bin\\ExeFile.exe" failed, status c0000135

Nvidia gt430. The drivers are the one's that the hardware updater got for me. I have no idea how to check the exact drivers.
Kill It With Fire
#11 Posted: 2012.01.07 14:14
similar problem

It seems that MSVCP80.dll is missing.
Did you install winetricks and do
winetricks corefonts
winetricks vcrun2005
winetricks vcrun2008
winetricks vcrun2010

also when you do winecfg go to the graphics tab and select emulate virtual desktop with the appropriate resolution (in case you haven't done that already)

For driver you can look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and search for nvidia there should be an entry that tells you what driver you are using, but I don't think it is a driver issue atm.
Minmatar Republic
#12 Posted: 2012.01.07 17:18
Nebu Retski wrote:
similar problem

It seems that MSVCP80.dll is missing.
Did you install winetricks and do
winetricks corefonts
winetricks vcrun2005
winetricks vcrun2008
winetricks vcrun2010

also when you do winecfg go to the graphics tab and select emulate virtual desktop with the appropriate resolution (in case you haven't done that already)

For driver you can look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and search for nvidia there should be an entry that tells you what driver you are using, but I don't think it is a driver issue atm.

How do I do that?
Kill It With Fire
#13 Posted: 2012.01.07 17:34
Open a terminal and type:

winetricks corefonts
winetricks vcrun2005
winetricks vcrun2008
winetricks vcrun2010

Run each line separately.

If winetricks isn't installed then check winetricks

Minmatar Republic
#14 Posted: 2012.01.08 06:21
Got to the last one. It asked me to download a file called msxml3.msi. I made it executable and ran it (not sure if I'm supposed to run it through a command prompt). Now winetricks is saying this http://shrib.com/21fByHLE.
Kill It With Fire
#15 Posted: 2012.01.08 10:49
Your link is empty so i can't see what winetricks returned.

Anyway did you manage to do at least winetricks corefonts and vcrun2005? If yes, can you run Eve or it still doesn't work?
Minmatar Republic
#16 Posted: 2012.01.08 13:28
I installed both but I still have the same problem as before.
Kill It With Fire
#17 Posted: 2012.01.09 10:49  |  Edited by: Nebu Retski
Can you be more specific, as in give error logs, without those error logs we can not be sure if it is the same issue or not. This should become second nature when asking for help when you have problems.

Also can you provide the following information:
- 32 bit or 64 bit OS
- wine version
- what did you install through winetricks, did you get errors (logs!)
- can you play other games through wine
- provide the exact command you use to start eve online (you need to start it from the terminal to get the error logs)
- whatever else you think could be of use

Now I also suggest that you check the Wine appdb and Ubuntu forums. Try to google the error you get and see if some of the proposed fixes work or not, don't forget what you did so that you can revert back what you did. Make a post on the Ubuntu forums about your problem and provide the information I requested + link back to this forum thread. There are more people over there that are familiar with Ubuntu (I haven't used it for years).

And super seriously, you HAVE TO BE SPECIFIC about your problem Blink
Minmatar Republic
#18 Posted: 2012.01.09 11:34
Nebu Retski wrote:
Can you be more specific, as in give error logs, without those error logs we can not be sure if it is the same issue or not. This should become second nature when asking for help when you have problems.

Also can you provide the following information:
- 32 bit or 64 bit OS
- wine version
- what did you install through winetricks, did you get errors (logs!)
- can you play other games through wine
- provide the exact command you use to start eve online (you need to start it from the terminal to get the error logs)
- whatever else you think could be of use

Now I also suggest that you check the Wine appdb and Ubuntu forums. Try to google the error you get and see if some of the proposed fixes work or not, don't forget what you did so that you can revert back what you did. Make a post on the Ubuntu forums about your problem and provide the information I requested + link back to this forum thread. There are more people over there that are familiar with Ubuntu (I haven't used it for years).

And super seriously, you HAVE TO BE SPECIFIC about your problem Blink

64 bit
wine 1.2
I didn't install through winetricks, the version seemed really out of date.
I haven't played any other game through winetricks. All I've played is the Linux version of Heroes of Newerth.
This is the error I get when I run Eve through the terminal: http://wrttn.in/admin/a96efa934e01 (let's hope you can see this)
The only error I've had thus far was when I tried to install winetricks vcrun2010 through the terminal (without taking into account the above). I'll try those websites if I don't get this resolved soon (or if you can't help). I'm abysmal at this, sorry. I can't think of much else to add other than the errors I got trying to install winetricks vcrun2010. That didn't matter you said so I doubt that's the issue.
Kill It With Fire
#19 Posted: 2012.01.09 12:36
Yes I can see the terminal output this time, however I wish I asked you earlier about the OS and wine version. First of all the wine version you are using is quite an older version (stable one), but I'm not so sure it play's nice with 32bit applications when you have a 64bit OS (at least I know there used to be issues with that).

Anyway, first of all make sure you have the necessary 32bit (ia32-libs) libraries installed, according to what I could find, it should be. I suggest you then remove wine and delete the .wine folder. You will need to reinstall eve again then, but at this point I think it's better to start from scratch.

Here is a guide I found for Ubuntu 11.10 for some basic things. Follow the steps at Install Wine. It will also install playonlinux which you can use to get Eve online up and running. PlayonLinux is not required, but it could make things a little easier to prepare the wine directory. Once Eve has been installed, try to run it and if it doesn't work then try to run it from the terminal again.
Amarr Empire
#20 Posted: 2012.01.15 20:53
winetricks is a must if you haven't gotten it already: http://winetricks.org/winetricks

Copy/paste that to a text editor (gedit) and save it to your home folder as winetricks.sh

Make winetricks.sh executable like Sleekman described.

in the terminal type: ./winetricks corefonts vcrun2008 d3dx9

The corefonts is so the EULA will show properly, the vcrun2008 contains the msvcr80.dll that you're getting errors with, and d3dx9 is so directx will work properly. Installing vcrun2005 would be prudent as well, although I'm not sure if eve requires those run-times.

Assuming that wlll solve the launch errors, next you will have to rename the music folder in the eve directory. I think it's in ccp/eve/res/audio. This solves a bug where the game freezes seconds after logging in. Some say it's fixed by installing windows media player but that didn't work for me.

Wine1.2 is the stable release, but it is not the latest version. The current version has a complete overhaul of the audio handling of wine, which solved problems with eve voice for me. Instructions on how to always have the latest wine are here: http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu

After you add the repository and reload the software sources like it asks, you can simply update wine by running the update manager.

Keep us updated!

2 Pages12Next page