Intergalactic Summit

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
5 Pages123Next pageLast page
 

[News] BREAKING: Origin Invaded!

Author
#1 - 2016-10-08 07:19:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Mira Ming Wei
BREAKING: Origin Invaded!

10.07.YC118

Indigo City, Renaissance-Synaesthesia L1 - Intrasolar commerce has ground to a halt following the sudden invasion of Origin by forces belonging to the Federation of Independent Stellar Systems. The Origin Colonial Authority has locked down the system and set the alert status to black for the first time in colonial history. Black Alert was issued following an initial intel leak hinting at the possibility of an intending strike, followed by actionable intelligence provided by scout forces that matched the intel to forces seeding themselves into the system. This meant evacuating all positions that could not be easily protected, activation of citywide defensive curtains all across the system, and the declaration of martial law. All civilian shipping has been halted, and mandatory evacuations are underway for stations seen as likely sites of conflict.

FISS forces began a coordinated offensive action in the earlier hours of October 7th, anchoring siege towers and knocking the antique defense picket towers into reinforced mode. Origin Colonial Authority forces clashed with the invaders around Crucifix and the Juno wormhole, trading an interceptor for a battleship and successfully wrestling hole control back from the attacking forces, allowing for a flood of allied corporations and alliances to begin pouring into Origin.

OCA and alliance forces struck back later in the day, reinforcing the FISS towers and enclosing them in warp disruption field generators. The conflict is expected to go on for the majority of the weekend, with the possibility of combat operations extending into early next week.

Citizens are urged to seek shelter within designated shelter areas, remain inside city defensive curtains, and avoid unnecessary travel. Sources within the OCA state that leadership remains confident the threat can be repulsed, but the invasion forces still represent a significant threat to the safety and stability of the system.

Regardless of the outcome, we’ll be bringing you news of the conflict every step of the way. Reporting live from Indigo City, I’m Mira Ming Wei, and you’re reading Transhumanity
#2 - 2016-10-08 08:08:12 UTC
I for one, welcome, our new rattlesnake overlords.

Feels Pretty Soft to Me.

#3 - 2016-10-08 14:10:46 UTC
The wrath of God does wax strong against the transhumanists. May the invaders leave nothing alive; not one brick left standing. The transhumanists have sown the wind and shall reap the whirlwind.
#4 - 2016-10-08 18:07:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Jason Galente
May God do the thing and things will happen because he did the thing.

Only the liberty of the individual assures the prosperity of the whole. And this foundation must be defended.

At any cost

#5 - 2016-10-08 18:59:02 UTC
May the jewel of trans-humanity never fall o7

Humans must eventually break out from the limits of biology, its not radical to accept the inevitable.

#6 - 2016-10-08 19:26:26 UTC
Any more updates on this or is it a case of waiting out the Strontium reserves and seeing?

"Face the enemy as a solid wall For faith is your armor And through it, the enemy will find no breach Wrap your arms around the enemy For faith is your fire And with it, burn away his evil"

Haighare Pirates
#7 - 2016-10-09 01:47:14 UTC
Grr Sansha. Hat Sansha.
Arataka Research Consortium
#8 - 2016-10-09 02:58:08 UTC
Hm. Have an attache there right now, and he doesn't report an excess of spikes...?

Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries: exploring the edge of the known, advancing the state of the art. Would you like to know more?

Caldari State
#9 - 2016-10-09 12:36:38 UTC
Nauplius wrote:
The wrath of God does wax strong against the transhumanists. May the invaders leave nothing alive; not one brick left standing. The transhumanists have sown the wind and shall reap the whirlwind.

And still I don't understand this, Mr. Nauplius. Unfortunately, our conversation about transhumanists went places in Intergalactic Summit NeoCom channel, so I'll just repeat here what I said there.

Transhumanists are harmless fanatics and cultists. They hurt only themselves by their belief that they are 'immortal', throwing away their lives without reason for their clones to continue them. What they call infomorph and consider themselves as ones are just dead shadow of themselves, a mold to form clones.

On the other hand, Blood Raiders are really dangerous cultists who kill not themselves, but others for their rituals.

But your place, your place lays between them, Mr. Nauplius. While killing others for your Faith, you still hurt yourself by destroying your own property. So, maybe you lay off transhumanists for a bit? After all, they are the worst enemies of themselves.

Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

#10 - 2016-10-09 13:49:32 UTC
Diana Kim wrote:
Nauplius wrote:
The wrath of God does wax strong against the transhumanists. May the invaders leave nothing alive; not one brick left standing. The transhumanists have sown the wind and shall reap the whirlwind.

And still I don't understand this, Mr. Nauplius. Unfortunately, our conversation about transhumanists went places in Intergalactic Summit NeoCom channel, so I'll just repeat here what I said there.

Transhumanists are harmless fanatics and cultists. They hurt only themselves by their belief that they are 'immortal', throwing away their lives without reason for their clones to continue them. What they call infomorph and consider themselves as ones are just dead shadow of themselves, a mold to form clones.

On the other hand, Blood Raiders are really dangerous cultists who kill not themselves, but others for their rituals.

But your place, your place lays between them, Mr. Nauplius. While killing others for your Faith, you still hurt yourself by destroying your own property. So, maybe you lay off transhumanists for a bit? After all, they are the worst enemies of themselves.


Transhumanists are an abomination before a holy and righteous God. Instead of employing Blood, the one holy and natural tool that God gifted upon his Chosen that they might improve themselves with blood-based foods and supplements, these transhumanists instead jam their brains full of unnatural chips and replace the limbs that God gave them with artificial ones. O how wicked. O how vile.

P. S. These transhumanists in this Origin corporation kill others, too. From the day they moved into this wormhole, they have been out committing the genocide of the Sleeper people.
#11 - 2016-10-09 16:05:39 UTC
Perhaps Nauplius needs to get himself acquainted with the Cyber Knight caste.

Ahem.
Arataka Research Consortium
#12 - 2016-10-09 17:25:35 UTC
Ria Nieyli wrote:
Perhaps Nauplius needs to get himself acquainted with the Cyber Knight caste.

Oh they are fascinating.
Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris
#13 - 2016-10-09 19:15:14 UTC
Ria Nieyli wrote:
Perhaps Nauplius needs to get himself acquainted with the Cyber Knight caste.

Ahem.


Or Inherent Implants.
Caldari State
#14 - 2016-10-09 20:21:08 UTC
Nauplius wrote:


Transhumanists are an abomination before a holy and righteous God. Instead of employing Blood, the one holy and natural tool that God gifted upon his Chosen that they might improve themselves with blood-based foods and supplements, these transhumanists instead jam their brains full of unnatural chips and replace the limbs that God gave them with artificial ones. O how wicked. O how vile.

P. S. These transhumanists in this Origin corporation kill others, too. From the day they moved into this wormhole, they have been out committing the genocide of the Sleeper people.

Firstly, I do not believe Sleepers either people or alive.

Second, I believe that eating natural food is dangerous for your body. It may contain germs. I trust only properly synthesized food. Which was actually balanced by aminoacids and contains all microelements that human body needs. Obviously blood can't match these category, proteins in blood are optimized for oxygen transportation and foreign object neutralization. Our bodies contain way more different proteins, thus aminoacid balance in blood proteins is not suitable for feeding of human bodies.

Third, all capsuleers brains are jammed with chips, including yours. Without them we couldn't be able to access interface in hydrostatic capsules to pilot ships.

Fourth, replacement of limbs is the lest harm they can do to themselves. You probably should be way more worried about Gallente body modificators who does way worse things with themselves than just limb prosthetics. But in any way, mechanical replacement can't match biological one. By making your hand stronger, you make it slower and way less sensitive than biological. You can stuff it with sensors, but then it will be way less strong and way less fast than the natural one. And there is almost no way to make artificial arm faster than the regular one.

But in any way, Mr. Nauplius, I would recommend you to turn your sight towards Gallentean body modders. That amount of wicked and vile things can make flinch even such battle hardened soldier as myself.

Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

Gallente Federation
#15 - 2016-10-10 02:53:06 UTC
My head is so augmented that whenever I lie down to sleep all I hear is a 'CLANG!'.

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

#16 - 2016-10-10 03:27:39 UTC
Diana Kim wrote:
Fourth, replacement of limbs is the lest harm they can do to themselves. You probably should be way more worried about Gallente body modificators who does way worse things with themselves than just limb prosthetics. But in any way, mechanical replacement can't match biological one. By making your hand stronger, you make it slower and way less sensitive than biological. You can stuff it with sensors, but then it will be way less strong and way less fast than the natural one. And there is almost no way to make artificial arm faster than the regular one.


Okay, I know you and reality have a... strained relationship, but this is pure nonsense.

We are long, LONG past the point where human augmentation comes with a tradeoff. The days where a stronger arm was also a slower one are centuries behind us, and modern nanocircuitry is so light that your body's natural fluctuations in weight throughout the day dramatically outweigh even the most aggressive upgrades to your central nervous system.

I don't know what clunky back-asswards school of cybernetics you studied, but it's clearly never encountered things like nanocomposite subcutaneous microweave that dissipates both kinetic and thermal energy thereby affording the user protection from both lasers and kinetic projectiles. Not armor, but it can make the difference between getting to an operating table and dying on the spot.

Orthoplastic bones are an order of magnitude stronger than natural human bone while being lighter into the bargain. Myopolymer muscles with the same density as normal human tissue offers 150% of the performance or more. Then there''s the microsuperconductor synthetic nerves that are an essential component in quickdraw implants, performance enhancers for every conceivable facet of human life from social empathy to focused attention to sexual stamina...

By far the most invasive of my personal augmentations are the capsuleer piloting suite. Otherwise, I prefer to look and be relatively baseline. I am rather stronger than an ordinary man of my size and body type. My reflexes are accelerated, my maximum percent body fat is capped so that I could eat like a particularly gluttonous king and gain no weight, and with my synthetic liver I could drink a bar out of business then sit the tea maker ceremony in the morning and walk away feeling as fresh as glacial meltwater.

Modern cybernetic enhancements are just that: enhancements. I don't know which century you're stuck in but here in the real world we're dealing with true improvements to the human body. The only tradeoff I've ever noticed is that I need a few more calories per day, which is not what I'd call a hardship.

But, I shouldn't expect anything Diana Kim says to map with the facts. I don't think there's a human augmentation program in the world that could fix your delusions.

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

Gallente Federation
#17 - 2016-10-10 04:07:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Elmund Egivand
Also, the bit about germs is nonsense. You have an immune system! You breathe in bacteria and viruses every single time you inhale! What's a little food germs? You can just cook the thing to kill off the majority of the harmful pathogens. Anything else, let the immune system handle it. Immune systems need to be occupied with foreign microorganisms once in a while before they start deciding to overreact over completely harmless polypeptides and give us a serious case of allergies.

Adding to Stitcher's point, our mechanical limbs are not only manipulated using electroactive polymers (that almost perfectly mimic the human muscle. The imperfection lies in the amount of force/volume generated by these materials, which are greater than what biological muscles are capable of under normal circumstances, though bioengineering has since helped to close the gap. Oh, no fatigue), they can also be wrapped in a layer of silicon-nanoelectrode sandwich to allow for the sensation of touch.

Mechanical and nano-mechanical augmentations are superior to their base biological analogues in every way. The only reason why not every single person in the cluster is a cyborg is because of their societal taboos and the expenses and time needed for the surgery and rehabilitation of the augmented individual. It's not just chopping up limbs and then replace with a mechanical prosthetics. The bones, tendons and supportive muscles connected to the replaced limb also has to be augmented. Then there's the part with the gene-editing using CRISPR nanites to ensure that the body does not reject the prosthetics (via glial cell buildup). Then months of rehabilitation to get used to these new limbs.

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

#18 - 2016-10-10 04:35:20 UTC
Elmund Egivand wrote:
Mechanical and nano-mechanical augmentations are superior to their base biological analogues in every way. The only reason why not every single person in the cluster is a cyborg is because of their societal taboos and the expenses and time needed for the surgery and rehabilitation of the augmented individual. It's not just chopping up limbs and then replace with a mechanical prosthetics. The bones, tendons and supportive muscles connected to the replaced limb also has to be augmented. Then there's the part with the gene-editing using CRISPR nanites to ensure that the body does not reject the prosthetics (via glial cell buildup). Then months of rehabilitation to get used to these new limbs.


This is the most accurate write-up at why augmentation isnt more widespread i've ever seen.

Humans must eventually break out from the limits of biology, its not radical to accept the inevitable.

Gallente Federation
#19 - 2016-10-10 04:57:34 UTC
Solu Terona wrote:
Elmund Egivand wrote:
Mechanical and nano-mechanical augmentations are superior to their base biological analogues in every way. The only reason why not every single person in the cluster is a cyborg is because of their societal taboos and the expenses and time needed for the surgery and rehabilitation of the augmented individual. It's not just chopping up limbs and then replace with a mechanical prosthetics. The bones, tendons and supportive muscles connected to the replaced limb also has to be augmented. Then there's the part with the gene-editing using CRISPR nanites to ensure that the body does not reject the prosthetics (via glial cell buildup). Then months of rehabilitation to get used to these new limbs.


This is the most accurate write-up at why augmentation isnt more widespread i've ever seen.


A little sidenote. I have techies who are plotting to get into 'workplace accident', which as I dug deeper, or rather, as Isi dug deeper, turned out to be because they are trying to get a 1 year holiday and superior replacement limbs out of the deal.

I dislike such dishonesty. I mentioned to them when I joined them in the mess hall that I am under the opinion that if such an 'accident' happens under my jurisdiction, I should pay for the augmentation and other related expenses. However, if insurance investigation comes up with inconclusive findings, I will...design the prosthetics and perform the surgery myself. There will also be no rehabilitation period.

I am amused by the cold sweat hanging on their foreheads.

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

#20 - 2016-10-10 07:26:42 UTC
Even you must be using some thoroughly outdated haptic and proprioceptary relays if rehabilitation is taking that long.

The goal of modern prosthetics has always been to make the new limb feel as natural and comfortable as possible so as to minimize the acclimatization time needed. An objective that was achieved generations ago in Caldari lines. Just take a look at Zainou's products sometime.

I had a prosthetic knee when I was still a baseliner (altercation with an anti-materiel pulse laser) and adapting to it only took me a couple of weeks, and that was twenty years ago.

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

5 Pages123Next pageLast page
Forum Jump