Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
2 PagesPrevious page12

Black Ops and jumping question

Author
#21 - 2016-12-11 19:07:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Altair Taurus
And what do you think about carrier ratting in NPC null-sec? Is it more cost-effective and safe than all that mess with BLOPS, T3, cyno alts, jumping, gate-camps?
Solyaris Chtonium
#22 - 2016-12-11 19:53:52 UTC
To be honest, I've never tried carrier ratting in NPC null-sec, but I would expect you will lose your carrier, very quickly.

Just try to do some anomalies or DED sites in NPC null with something simple first, like Ishtar or Tengu as I mentioned earlier. You will get a 'feel' for how hostile the space is and about your own chance of survival, which will improve as more experienced you get.

Cheers Love! The cavalry's here!

#23 - 2016-12-11 20:09:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Altair Taurus
I asked because in theory I can fly a carrier in a month. However I agree with you carrier ratting makes sense only if you are member of alliance holding SOV in null-sec ("friendly territory").

Besides there were some huge changes to carriers introduced by CCP several months ago I am not familiar with. Well, till now capital ships were outside my consideration...
Solyaris Chtonium
#24 - 2016-12-11 22:29:02 UTC
Altair Taurus wrote:
I asked because in theory I can fly a carrier in a month. However I agree with you carrier ratting makes sense only if you are member of alliance holding SOV in null-sec ("friendly territory").

Besides there were some huge changes to carriers introduced by CCP several months ago I am not familiar with. Well, till now capital ships were outside my consideration...

if you are looking for more challenging/high end solo PVE activities, I suggest you also consider looking at WH life. It's somewhat different from null, in that you do not get those DED sites with random loots, which you may like (or may not), you know, like those X-types and such. But they do provide very steady income in terms of blue loot. People talk about WH blue loot nerf, but that's more for C5/C6 people doing cap escalations, for solo players doing C3/C4, the blue loot is pretty much same as it's always been, AFAIK.

Of course, there has been some decline in profitability, because nano ribbons and WH salvages crashed so hard, but for a solo PVE enthusiast, it is still decently profitable place and quite a big change from the usual empire life style, and there are many things you can do there, especially if you manage to find those shattered holes, from mining to combat sites running, to pirate data/relic sites in addition to sleeper data/relic sites. (I will not go too deep into about shattered holes here. but they are pretty special in their own ways and personally I like them a lot for what I do).

Actually, I even came across a shattered Sansah WH once, occupied by Sansha. I stayed around for a while and it was pretty much like a Sansha null space, with the same sigs/sites you see in Sansha null, but with no local and no fixed stargates (which I like, but people have different feelings about these things heh).

Anyways, I do encourage people explore more dangerous spaces, but just as a general advice, when you do that, especially as someone new to such spaces, it is usually recommended that you use cheaper, or if not cheaper, at least smaller/more maneuverable ships, and T3s are very good for this, while BL-OP is a) not that well suited for PVE, b) cannot move around very safely without a separate cyno toon.

Whether you go to null NPC or WH or wherever, I really do recommend a T3 or HAC to try out.

#25 - 2016-12-11 22:38:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Altair Taurus
How to live in WH alone? Should I build my own POS there?

Now I can fly: Tengu, Proteus, Ishtar, Deimos, Caracal, Eagle, Phobos, Onyx, Rook, Falcon, Arazu, Lachezis. Which one is good for WH PvE?
Solyaris Chtonium
#26 - 2016-12-12 12:58:10 UTC
I could go on, but we will go waaay out of topic here if I went into details about WH life. But just to get you started, Tengu is excellent for WH PVE, and most of null PVE for that matter. It's got the tank and the range to handle pretty much any PVE you can throw at it - if it can be done solo in a sub-cap, it can probably be done in a Tengu (may not be the best ship for particular sites, space etc, but it's just such a good all arounder that can do many many things).

As for living in WH, you could go the POS route, and many people have done that. But it is perfectly viable to live off an Orca with its ship maintenance bay. Take your Orca as mobile station, that can fit a cloak, with good enough ship maintenance bay size and cargo size for solo work.

But you need to consider whether it's 'worth it' to 'live' in a specific hole for you, or whether you can get by being a 'day tripper' (basically scanning for new WH from your HS or LS base). Day tripper is alright too, and is usually how people first start to experience WH solo. You can usually find quite a few holes from a quick scanning of a few systems in and around your base system, and you can run them.

If you DO decide to 'live' in a hole though, that's where I like those 'Shattered holes', because you cannot anchor a POS or Citadel in these holes. However, it's also possible to find an unoccupied hole, where you can do your stuff in relative peace, and days can go by without anyone else ever showing up (then suddenly they are everywhere and you are bubbled and you die lol, but that's the charm of WH IMO heh).

Anyways, check out the WH forum and go through some resources. It really is an interesting place, and you will learn a lot about many things just by living & surviving there. It's a different beast from null.

If you don't like it, then yes, you can go to NPC null too, tha's always an option. I just wanted to show you some alternatives too. Or... do consider joining null sov holding alliances. Because a lot of your issues and worries will be solved if you are part of an alliance who holds its own sov systems in null. You can do it either way. Be a full on member and contribute to the cause and fight alongside with your alliance mates and build your experience & relationships, which can also be awesome, or you pay rent & get your own little space and rat all day every day.

Many choices. I'm not against the NPC null idea, but just as I said, there are many options.

#27 - 2016-12-12 16:52:07 UTC
Well, I have never conducted manufacturing activity in EVE (no skills here...) so will you tell me what is cost of establishing a POS?

As for null-sec ratting. That's interesting idea to rent some system in SOV NULL but do you know how much it will cost and what alliances offer such service to solo players?
Solyaris Chtonium
#28 - 2016-12-13 05:51:51 UTC
Look at Sell Orders forum for alliance space renting, just make sure you are not falling for scams XD

SOV null rental fee would vary greatly depending on how good the system is. from 1b/month (or maybe even less?) to a few bill a month. But in null that sort of ISK is easily made back just by running anoms so it's a non-issue really. If you can get a few like minded people to share the cost, it becomes even cheaper for you. So you get 3~5 people who want to live in null without the 'commitment', you can split the rental fee and do whatever you want. 3~5 people in the same system is probably not crowded enough to be disruptive for your own PVE activities. It all depends on your play time. If you can reliably run anoms a few hours a day in reasonable null space, rental cost really shouldn't be an issue. If you can only log on to the game 2~3 hours a week, then it may be a bit of a burden to carry. So it depends.

There are many SOV holding alliances that also have a sub 'renter alliance', where you join their renter alliance with your corp. However, most times, you will not be protected by your landlord. You can rent the space and use it however you will, but they are not going to form a fleet to come and rescue you every time a hostiles show shows up in your system. They could, but usually they have no obligation to.

In exchange you are also not expected to join the main alliance's fleet ops and such. It's pretty much just a business deal. It can also happen that you start out as a renter & you find that you really like living in null, end up making friends, dabble with PVP, and later decide you want the full alliance experience/life. Some people think renting is meh, and I've never done it myself either, but I think it opens up hell of a lot more interesting game play than staying in HS, so I think it's worth it.

Having said that, if you only really just want the taste of null PVE, renting is fine, but if you are interested in moving to null you should leave the option open to join a proper alliance. There are many things you can do to make ISK in null, and alliance fleet ops can be something new & fun for you too if you haven't done much of these things before.

As for POS, in WH it depends if you want a full large POS with proper defences, or if you just want to ninja small/medium POS and such. I haven't checked the POS market for long time, but small~mid POS should be doable within a few hundred mil at most I believe, so not that more than buying one or two T2 cruisers.

Fuel cost isn't too bad either, but the logistics may be a bit painful if you are going to stay long term & intend to keep fueling it.

Check out the WH sub forum which you can find in these EVE forums. They have a lot of resources and guides for starting out WH life. Also, just as I said about null life, also consider the option of joining a WH corp. An established WH corp who's been living in WH for long time, whoever they may be, should have some very knowledgeable & experienced EVE players. WH is also one place where 'group PVE' is viable and does happen frequently, whereas in null you probably won't see much of a 'group PVE', so that can also be something nice if you want to fly in groups.

If you want to build capital fast, before moving out to other spaces, or just because you wan to have some nice buffer to play with, high sec Incursion is also very lucrative, and can be fun if you haven't tried it before. It does become a repetitive grind later on, but at least for the first few days (or even weeks, depending on people) it can be something very new & different while netting you pretty nice ISK.. Obviously, it will still depends on how much you can play, but if you can do Incursions for hours every day, you'd find that you end up with a few bil income per week.

well as you see, there are so many options and ISK making opportunities. It's really up to you now to have a look at different forums and resources and see what you fancy.

#29 - 2016-12-13 13:45:20 UTC
soooo, we've gone from running DED sites with a blops to carrier ratting in NPC 0.0 to solo wormhole living?

DED sites with a BLOPS? I know it can be done. Not sure I'd be up for that one myself.

Carrier Ratting in NPC 0.0? You're going to want good relations with the neighbours before undocking.

Solo WH? Sure. An astrahus isn't that expensive, the preferred WH ratting ships are a pair of cap transferring, shield boosting rattlesnakes. Avoid Wolf Rayet and Cataclysmic Variable local effects. Look for an otherwise unattractive wormhole, make sure you keep a probing alt in there at all times and have fun learning the joys of wormhole rolling.

Or better yet, just as a thought, join a corp already engaged in such activities?

Occasional Resident Newbie Correspondent for TMC: http://themittani.com/search/site/mephiztopheleze

This is my Forum Main. My Combat Alt is sambo Inkura

Gallente Federation
#30 - 2016-12-14 00:02:42 UTC
ive lost 3 sins in nullsec. Never gets easy :)

Fly tengu into nullsec. light a torch and jump in black op. repeat until you are where you need to go

Also Black Ops is a weak battleship compaired to a Dommi but it can jump
#31 - 2016-12-14 14:19:37 UTC
i've heard m-o is a great system for blops experimentation.
Amarr Empire
#32 - 2016-12-14 16:28:39 UTC
The OP seems to be fixated on doing things solo. Things involving T3 cruisers, blops, and carriers in low/null/w-space. The OP also seems to be fairly new to the game. This will result in some amazing lossmails. I am going to need some popcorn.

If you want to do this stuff, don't do it alone. Find a corp.
#33 - 2016-12-28 20:44:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Mattrik Mckenzie
Sweet Adamas wrote:
ive lost 3 sins in nullsec. Never gets easy :)

I mean, it's pretty easy. Dscan, Dual RR Sins + Cyno. Farm up escalations or buy them, fly cyno to system jump straight to the gate. Profit.

I've been doing them long enough with enough experience that I'd feel comfortable ninja running them in hostile space.

Key word being experience... jumping into an activity before you have a baseline level of knowledge from which to progress is a bad idea. It's not just jump mechanics or site mechanics. It's general experience and knowledge that applies to all ships and activities, i.e. How people react when hunting for YOU, how you react to being hunted, when and what to do when encountering camps and on and on.

I don't mean at all to discourage experimentation and taking the "other path", its exactly what I've done, but especially with some of the questions being asked by the OP: just because you can fly something doesn't mean you should jump straight into it.

Start smaller. Run exploration in an astero, practice escaping gate camps and bubbles, hone your scanning skills. Move to that tengu/Strat, continue the scanning practice, learn movement both in site and through systems/regions. Bust out the Domi, learn drone mechanics, when to pull em, what to stick em on etc.

I hate being a grinch, but the answers to the above questions should be basic knowledge by the time you are seriously considering jumping into carriers and blops. Getting a fat loss mail that wrecks your wallet or wastes that plex you just bought and not knowing what happened is a good way to become disgruntled and bail on the game.
O.U.Z.O. Alliance
#34 - 2016-12-29 01:45:10 UTC
Altair Taurus wrote:
Well, I must think more about this puzzle...JF with T3 cruiser inside its cargo-hold looks interesting but JF costs too much for me...

Anyway, do Black Ops battleships have any utility outside covert jumping & porting area? I mean running L4 missions, PvP, support roles etc.

Black Frog has a nice and very trustworthy hauling service. Join their ingame channel Black Frog and let them link you the cost of having your ships jumped to nullsec - NPC stations only.

We are recruiting. And we welcome any solo and not so solo activities in Stain.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Executive Outcomes
#35 - 2016-12-29 16:14:26 UTC
Wouldn't it just be easier to leave the T3 ratting ship in null sec and only move loot back and forth in a much less expensive ship like a Blockade Runner?
You could still use the Blops I suppose- but really the biggest threat you ever face is border crossings between security regions. The one gate between low and null or low and high are the choke points. Once out in null sec you can often go a dozen jumps without seeing another player.

It isn't too hard getting in and out of low/null sec. A CovOps cloaked T3 with bubble immunity will pretty much moonwalk past all but the most dedicated gate gamps. The kind you should be aware of from looking at your map before undocking, checking any public intel channels, etc.

Basically you are using several accounts and billions of isk worth of ships to accomplish what people do all the time without any of that. Minimize your border crossings and you've already eliminated the majority of risk you face. Use a cloaky/nullified T3 and reduce the risk even further.
You will never achieve zero risk, but dragging out a Blops and multi-boxing a bunch of accounts reaches a point of diminishing returns when applied to reducing the risk of travel.

2 PagesPrevious page12