EVE New Citizens Q&A

 
2 Pages12Next page
 

Is CODE actually a thing?

Author
#1 - 2016-12-31 21:25:57 UTC
Picking up on some previous posts from various CODE agents I can't help but wonder how they keep this going. I'm perfectly fine with CODE being in the game, and in many ways I can appreciate their "content creation". As I have found their killmails to produce some true gold. As a testament to the stupidity of many.

I am however unconvinced and quite willing to contest CODE's claims to jurisdiction over hisec - and in particular question both their requirement to buy a permit, and the effectiveness of said permit for preventing ganking by CODE membership. I find that CODE's claim to superiourity, to be rather smug and obnoxious.

Rather than seeking to eradicate "bot aspirant" gameplay, and multiboxing mechanics, they have instead become the chief instigators of such activities. Even worse, I see CODE's smug claims to invulnerability as defeating the very purpose for which it was created. If the purpose is indeed to teach the community of Eve that no-one is safe. Then perhaps the teachers need to be taught their own lesson.
#2 - 2016-12-31 21:39:06 UTC
It's just delusions of grandeur, never seen them, never cared. Get a few bully wanna bees, and a excuse like, we dont want you top play like this, this is better, we dont like your religion , this is better, etc...
They should just say it like it is. We want to gang up on things to feel a sense of accomplishment, makes us feel important in a video game. The end.
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2016-12-31 21:47:27 UTC
There are two things that you need to be aware of with regards to this:
Role-playing and propaganda.

Politics in Eve is a lot like real world politics. You can believe nothing any group says. The more official the information the more questionable it is. Public comments made by those groups are specifically designed to create an intended perception. If the statement has anything to do with truth it is by pure coincidence as the comments were no designed to portray truth but instead to elicit a specific perception.

Again just like in the real world propaganda and posturing can lead to actual war. However in no way should you ever take propaganda at face value.
Evictus.
#4 - 2016-12-31 21:47:58 UTC
CODE. is classic protection racketeering. They're really selling "insurance" to protect you from them. In Eve this is a legitimate business practise as long as they are willing to accept the consequences of their actions - i.e. CONCORD will destroy them if they shoot at you without an active war.

CODE. serve a useful purpose as predators in a player driven economy. If there is no risk, the number of miners will grow to the point where the ore they harvest is worthless. If CODE. (and other ganking organizations) didn't exist, NPC's would need to provide that element of risk.

That said, it is a very small risk - you probably accept more risk on your morning commute to work. Like the morning commute, there are things you can do to make it safer. I ran a multibox mining fleet in Everyshore for several months with out any permits or any problem with CODE. As long as people insist on offering them high value, easy to kill targets, those of us flying low value hard to kill targets are reasonably safe.
Shadow Cartel
#5 - 2016-12-31 22:16:48 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
Marcus Binchiette wrote:
Picking up on some previous posts from various CODE agents I can't help but wonder how they keep this going.

They have backers with deep pockets.

Some of those backers simply like the idea of wanton destruction.
Others are funding CODE because the destruction of certain ships (that the backer's build and sell) lines their pockets.

Marcus Binchiette wrote:
I am however unconvinced and quite willing to contest CODE's claims to jurisdiction over hisec - and in particular question both their requirement to buy a permit, and the effectiveness of said permit for preventing ganking by CODE membership. I find that CODE's claim to superiourity, to be rather smug and obnoxious.

What is "racketeering" and "extortion" Alex, for $200?

Marcus Binchiette wrote:
I see CODE's smug claims to invulnerability as defeating the very purpose for which it was created. If the purpose is indeed to teach the community of Eve that no-one is safe. Then perhaps the teachers need to be taught their own lesson.

What is "propaganda" Alex, for $500?
#6 - 2016-12-31 22:25:42 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
Marcus Binchiette wrote:
Picking up on some previous posts from various CODE agents I can't help but wonder how they keep this going.

They have backers with deep pockets.

Some of those backers simply like the idea of wanton destruction.
Others are funding CODE because the destruction of certain ships (that the backer's build and see) lines their pockets.

Sorry I should have written more clearly. I mean, how can they persistently and doggedly claim to be the rulers of hisec and keep a straight face? The idea makes me want to burst out in laughter every time I read that tripe.
Shadow Cartel
#7 - 2016-12-31 22:35:55 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
Marcus Binchiette wrote:
ShahFluffers wrote:
Marcus Binchiette wrote:
Picking up on some previous posts from various CODE agents I can't help but wonder how they keep this going.

They have backers with deep pockets.

Some of those backers simply like the idea of wanton destruction.
Others are funding CODE because the destruction of certain ships (that the backer's build and see) lines their pockets.

Sorry I should have written more clearly. I mean, how can they persistently and doggedly claim to be the rulers of hisec and keep a straight face? The idea makes me want to burst out in laughter every time I read that tripe.

Propaganda.

If you say something enough, no matter how false or ludicrous it is... people may believe you.

And you only need some people to believe you to incite fear and reaction. Twisted
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2016-12-31 22:36:03 UTC
Marcus Binchiette wrote:

Sorry I should have written more clearly. I mean, how can they persistently and doggedly claim to be the rulers of hisec and keep a straight face? The idea makes me want to burst out in laughter every time I read that tripe.

Oh so this was not a real question then. You just wanted to troll?

The NC Q&A is a troll free zone.
#9 - 2016-12-31 22:37:24 UTC
Marcus Binchiette wrote:
Picking up on some previous posts from various CODE agents I can't help but wonder how they keep this going. I'm perfectly fine with CODE being in the game, and in many ways I can appreciate their "content creation". As I have found their killmails to produce some true gold. As a testament to the stupidity of many.

I am however unconvinced and quite willing to contest CODE's claims to jurisdiction over hisec - and in particular question both their requirement to buy a permit, and the effectiveness of said permit for preventing ganking by CODE membership. I find that CODE's claim to superiourity, to be rather smug and obnoxious.

Rather than seeking to eradicate "bot aspirant" gameplay, and multiboxing mechanics, they have instead become the chief instigators of such activities. Even worse, I see CODE's smug claims to invulnerability as defeating the very purpose for which it was created. If the purpose is indeed to teach the community of Eve that no-one is safe. Then perhaps the teachers need to be taught their own lesson.
Someone else should teach them a lesson, huh? Players have been singing that tune for years yet none of them seem to be able to tear themselves off the teat of their ISK-making to do anything about it.

The reality is the Code always wins. It really does. James 315 could shut down his blog and the alliance could fold, but the core ideas of the Code are everlasting. They are basically the core ideas of Eve itself - you are not safe anywhere in the full-time sandbox that is New Eden - so you can say that the Code is a manifestation of the basic design of the game. There is also the fact that Eve is a game and thus you cannot really completely defeat any resolute enemy. Players can always retreat to safe station as well as store their assets there and much of the strength of a player organization is outside the game client in any case.

I really don't get why players think a perfectly safe highsec would at all be interesting nor why the endlessly go on about 'griefing' as if being attacked by another player in a PvP game is somehow against the rules. The game is built on conflict and thus there needs to be sides for stuff to actually happen. The New Order is one such colourful way to draw a line and define good guys and bad guys so content can be made.

As for the New Order claim of jurisdiction, you can judge for yourself:
https://zkillboard.com/alliance/99002775/stats/

The CODE. Alliance explodes on order of a trillion ISK worth of stuff each month and has for years (and that doesn't include the many non-CODE. supporters). The alliance is currently ranked 4th in the amount of damage inflicted in their enemies and has at times been ranked first, exploding more things than the largest alliances in the game in some months. Certainly, the killboard stats are comparable with other sov-holding organizations, but it up to you to decide if that means they hold jurisdiction or not just like it is up to you to decide whether to buy a permit. I think though it is clear from the hundreds of thousands of ships that have been exploded by the New Order that the threat of being exploded if you don't buy a permit isn't an empty one.
#10 - 2016-12-31 23:13:49 UTC
Marcus Binchiette wrote:


I am however unconvinced and quite willing to contest CODE's claims to jurisdiction over hisec - and in particular question both their requirement to buy a permit, and the effectiveness of said permit for preventing ganking by CODE membership. I find that CODE's claim to superiourity, to be rather smug and obnoxious.




To contest CODE's claims, you basically need to join a corp and declare war against Code. Have fun with it.

Also, CODE is notorious for blowing up ships that paid for permits and not bothering to apologize.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

#11 - 2017-01-01 00:36:59 UTC
CODE has no jurisdiction any where in high sec, despite the permit they try to force on newbies, but really all you need is their killmail.

From the ashes of our defeat, we will be reborn. With these chains with which we are bound, we will become indivisible. To those who showed us no mercy, we will give no sympathy. For the flames that burn our cities, we will douse in injustice's blood

#12 - 2017-01-01 04:47:38 UTC  |  Edited by: MadMuppet
Another year
A different verse
They say if you mine
You'll be in a hearse

Get six jumps from Jita
Or four from Amaar
Or new player systems
They never go far

Minings required
And mining is fun
They feed on the stupid
The new and the dumb

So go grab the Veldspar
The pyro or prox
And if they should threaten
Then chop off their [content redacted]

This message brought to you by Experience(tm). When common sense fails you, experience will come to the rescue. Experience(tm) from the makers of CONCORD.

"If you are part of the problem, you will be nerfed." -MadMuppet

CODE.
#13 - 2017-01-01 07:23:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Tisiphone Dira
it is always a temptation to an armed and agile nation
To call upon a neighbour and to say: --
"We invaded you last night--we are quite prepared to fight,
Unless you pay us cash to go away."

And that is called asking for Dane-geld,
And the people who ask it explain
That you've only to pay 'em the Dane-geld
And then you'll get rid of the Dane!

There once was a ganker named tisi

A stunningly beautiful missy

To gank a gross miner

There is nothing finer, cept when they get all pissy

#14 - 2017-01-01 07:50:28 UTC
Tisiphone Dira wrote:
it is always a temptation to an armed and agile nation
To call upon a neighbour and to say: --
"We invaded you last night--we are quite prepared to fight,
Unless you pay us cash to go away."

And that is called asking for Dane-geld,
And the people who ask it explain
That you've only to pay 'em the Dane-geld
And then you'll get rid of the Dane!


But that is just the problem right there. When a person buys a "mining permit" they are, infact, buying a word. Yet if the giver of that word does not honour that word, or cannot be trusted to keep it, then that word is worthless and not worth the money paid to obtain it.

It inability of CODE to keep their word is the principal thing which is likely to undermine the profitability of their extortion.
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2017-01-01 11:09:45 UTC
You have been promoting your anti-ganking agenda in the IGS forum - where RP is perfectly acceptable, and have been challenged there in-character on your assumptions.

Posting this stuff in NCQ&A is pure trolling, and you should stop it.

Humanity has won its battle. Liberty now has a country.

#16 - 2017-01-01 11:22:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Marcus Binchiette
Skyweir Kinnison wrote:
You have been promoting your anti-ganking agenda in the IGS forum - where RP is perfectly acceptable, and have been challenged there in-character on your assumptions.

Posting this stuff in NCQ&A is pure trolling, and you should stop it.


Yes, and I'm sure CODE, and it's adherents have been challenged to cease their behaviours. So if they are unwilling to entertain those challenges, why should I entertain yours? Have you not considered that what you call trolling is infact dialogue between combative persons, and intended to elicit a certain response?

Futhermore, there is a tactical purpose behind trolling. As the response which it elicits can cause people either to reveal information which they otherwise might not have. I can also cause them to become emotionally invested and therefore make mistakes.... It's called gamesmanship.
#17 - 2017-01-01 11:49:55 UTC
It's against the rules of this particular newbie forum to troll, and even to provide false or disguised information to newbies. So however noble your intentions may be, he can simply flag your post and ISD Max Trix will be by shortly to lock this thread or move it to General Discussion.

Hopefully he does that before I have to suffer seeing a link to their stupid website.
Executive Outcomes
#18 - 2017-01-01 16:03:01 UTC
It's a role playing game, and they role play quite well. CODE is by far the most well known role playing group in Eve. It's very rare they break character, although some are just much better at it than others.

But it's exactly the kind of thing Eve needs. It's content creation, it''s conflict, it's big personalities in game, it's controversy, it's entire ad campaigns for the game that the devs didn't have to work a minute on.
Eve needs bad guys. I was a low sec pirate for awhile long before CODE was a thing, typed YARRR in local and got much the same vitriol back in local. But if it wasn't for me, that guy would have had nothing to do but click on the next gate in his route. With my autocannons aimed at him he suddenly had choices to make, risk and reward to balance, and very little time to do it. Then, he had a reason to revisit the market for a new ship, a reason to go back out and make a buck. Cycle of life, Simba.

More importantly, I played the bad guy and it gave players someone to hate, someone to trash talk on forums, someone to form 'anti-pirate' movements that like anti-CODE ones usually amounted to nothing.

CODE just moved piracy and extortion to high sec. Where it's needed most. You expect trust in a tight knit group living on the fringes like null sec, but in the mass throng of anonymous faces in high sec someone needs to be a unifying entity. That is always by definition the 'bad guy'. In a game it's fun to play that part, and it's why pretty much every game now relies on exactly that sort of moral ambiguity as a selling point. CODE just does this very well.

And they have a lot of fun doing it, which is really what matters most in a video game.
Amarr Empire
#19 - 2017-01-01 16:21:24 UTC
Marcus Binchiette wrote:
Skyweir Kinnison wrote:
You have been promoting your anti-ganking agenda in the IGS forum - where RP is perfectly acceptable, and have been challenged there in-character on your assumptions.

Posting this stuff in NCQ&A is pure trolling, and you should stop it.


Yes, and I'm sure CODE, and it's adherents have been challenged to cease their behaviours. So if they are unwilling to entertain those challenges, why should I entertain yours? Have you not considered that what you call trolling is infact dialogue between combative persons, and intended to elicit a certain response?

Futhermore, there is a tactical purpose behind trolling. As the response which it elicits can cause people either to reveal information which they otherwise might not have. I can also cause them to become emotionally invested and therefore make mistakes.... It's called gamesmanship.

THE NC Q&A IS A TROLL FREE ZONE! PLEASE TAKE YOUR TROLLING TO ANY OTHER SECTION OF THE FOUM.
#20 - 2017-01-01 18:11:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Donnachadh
Black Pedro wrote:
I really don't get why players think a perfectly safe highsec would at all be interesting

I will take this challenge simply because.
Cash money needed to continue development of this game is the best reason to have some small areas in each of the 4 factions space that are 100% free of risk from other players. There has been much written lately on the coming of adds to the game that are placed by giving CCP cash money. These 100% safe areas (with appropriate restrictions) represent a possible source of revenue for CCP and with that potential revenue would come two things 1. a decrease in adds, 2. more devs to work on that never ending list of someday when we have dev time things. I am continually surprised that this simple fact can escape those who otherwise appear to be quite intelligent.
2 Pages12Next page
Forum Jump