EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
3 Pages123Next page

I gave it a shot, but not enjoying it after all..My feed back

First post
Author
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2017-01-05 02:54:34 UTC
I finally gave this game a good try. The tutorial was awesome but i'm so far behind that it's going to take me years to catch up to other people. I also feel like the tutorial didn't cover enough. When it was over, I was left not knowing what to do. I ran some missions then got to a point where I couldn't get any where with out upgrading my ship. So I bought a new one only to find out I still couldn't do the missions. I didn't know where to go from there. I asked general help and was told to buy another ship but I had no idea what they were talking about. It's annoying.

I had no idea how to join with a clan or guild or whatever it's called in this game. Researching takes way too long and I'm not paying for a game that I'm completely confused about, I thought it was a free to play but it's a "free to try" then pay for everything to make it fun.

Just some feed back if the devs are interested in why I'm quitting.

Thank you,
Velisity
#2 - 2017-01-05 03:39:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Chainsaw Plankton
Velisity Ellecon wrote:
I finally gave this game a good try. The tutorial was awesome but i'm so far behind that it's going to take me years to catch up to other people. I also feel like the tutorial didn't cover enough. When it was over, I was left not knowing what to do. I ran some missions then got to a point where I couldn't get any where with out upgrading my ship. So I bought a new one only to find out I still couldn't do the missions. I didn't know where to go from there. I asked general help and was told to buy another ship but I had no idea what they were talking about. It's annoying.

I had no idea how to join with a clan or guild or whatever it's called in this game. Researching takes way too long and I'm not paying for a game that I'm completely confused about, I thought it was a free to play but it's a "free to try" then pay for everything to make it fun.

Thank you,
Velisity

For almost everyone that has joined eve there have been players years ahead. Sure I'm years ahead of you, but there are many players I am years behind. The good thing about that is for any given activity there are a limited number of skills to train and only a certain amount that even make sense to train. Your mining skills don't matter in a combat ship, There have always been catch up mechanics, and now with skill injectors it is even more straight forward. Also with that limited pool of skills there are diminishing returns, sure right now I'm way better in many ships, but you can catch up and be within 2-5% effectiveness in a specific ship in much less time. Sure if we had a straight up mirror match brawl I'd win almost every time but as they say, in eve if you fight fair you already lost. There are many small fitting tweaks either of us could make to hopefully shift the fight in our favor, there are also many mistakes either of us could make to give the other player an advantage.

Eve has never really been a hold your hand game, there is just too much to cover for a tutorial. Eve is also a sandbox so player created goals are the standard, and well a tutorial shouldn't be dictating your goals. It should have given you a few ideas though. You found missions, there is a whole subforum here on missions where we can give you ideas of ways to progress.

Sure it is a bit confusing at first, but it is a completely fascinating game world where player interaction actually matters. I spent most of my first two weeks reading everything I could trying to figure out how it worked and to theory craft things. Other games you end up in a conflict with another player and well you will probably never see them again, or heck they are on "your side" so you can't even do anything about them. Eve is one universe with few restrictions, you can be very creative in your problem solving. It is pretty straight forward to blow them up, or you can try and earn their trust and steal everything they didn't nail down.

and welcome to the free to play world, there is always a catch with f2p, and pay to get ahead is the standard. Truth be told Eve's f2p model is more of an infinite trial. I don't think anyone that has played for a long time is too upset with that, beats the heck out of not even being able to log in. And for new players, well as you found out, the game is rather complex but hopefully this model allows them to figure some things out and ultimately subscribe.

If you are going to complain it is just too confusing and walk away, well that's on you. I'm sure if you asked some of your questions here we would have had many ideas to help you move forward, or perhaps that wasn't a direction you wanted to go and you could have tried something else.

edit: since no one beat me to it, can I have your stuff?

selling officer BCUs! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6872141

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

#3 - 2017-01-05 03:43:14 UTC
I didn't stick my first time either.

@lunettelulu7

Federation Uprising
#4 - 2017-01-05 03:45:05 UTC
good bye! o7

Just Add Water

Caldari State
#5 - 2017-01-05 03:53:56 UTC
It does take a little bit to learn but there are people that will help you. The rookie channel is usually pretty good. Most of the level 1 mission can be done it a frigate. You can use a cruise for most level three mission. I'm talking about combat missions. If you were doing career missions its possible you need a ship with more cargo space.

One major difference in Eve when compared to other MMOs is that it doesn't lead you buy the hand to the next step. That can be difficult to deal with because you get to a point early on where you have no idea what to do next. Then you realize you have a choice and figure out what you enjoy and you do it. There is no certain build to use, no right or wrong, it is what you enjoy.

Don't think about catching up because you never will unless you buy a bunch of skill injectors. You will get to a point fairly quick where can use stuff that allows you to compete. Sure the person you are competing against has more skill points, but eve is kind of a rock paper scissors game and no matter how skilled the scissor maybe rock still crushes him.

Joining a corp in eve is easy go to recruitment channel and find one that sound like they do the stuff you want to do and apply.
#6 - 2017-01-05 04:06:37 UTC
Velisity Ellecon wrote:
I finally gave this game a good try.
[...]
I had no idea how to join with a clan or guild or whatever it's called in this game. Researching takes way too long.

Sorry to see you go, but, honestly, about 1,110,000 results (0.41 seconds).
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2017-01-05 04:24:31 UTC
Hello, sorry to hear you're having problems.

Don't look at this game like you're years behind and will never catch up. Considering the fact that F2P was just recently activated, there's a lot of other players here that are just like you. As was already stated, just ask for some advice if you have problems with any aspect of the game. In fact, each career path in Eve has a specific sub-forum here where you can get answers to your questions.

I suggest you spend a few days doing a little bit of google research on various game topics while browsing the different sub-forums here. I'm sure you'll quickly find all the info you need to get your game play experience back into action.

Anyway, I sincerely hope you give this game some more time. Good luck to you, no matter what your decision is.

DMC

#8 - 2017-01-05 05:55:16 UTC
The problem is that you're treating EVE like other MMOs. You're thinking of yourself as the hero, and if you can never catch up to a 2003 player, then why bother?

EVE is more complex than that, you have to carve out your own niche and do your own thing. You are not the hero, nor is anyone else here, we're all crazy characters in this vast universe who must do what we can to make the universe a little more interesting.

Don't sit there and wait for the game to tell you what to do, because it won't, you have to be smarter than that, you have to use your imagination to realise what it is that you want from this game and then go and do it. You can't be lazy either, go join a corp, put yourself out there, and you'll have more fun than you thought possible with Space Spreadsheet Simulator.

MTU Hunter: Latest Entry - May 23 2017 - MTU Mailbag

MTU Hunting 101: Comprehensive Guide

Caldari State
#9 - 2017-01-05 06:09:50 UTC  |  Edited by: NofriendNoLifeStilPostin
The pvp in the game is really crap. I've been hoping it would get better for years but unfortunately its still all about numbers and the force multiplayer effects of that. You have to have multiple computers if you want to stand a chance.

The tutorial really is the best part.

Congratulations on beating EVE.
#10 - 2017-01-05 06:30:54 UTC
Well it was my 3rd try when I finally hooked up and settled in New Eden. Try different aproach, it's a sandbox PvP. There is nothing to catch up, you can be where ever you want be, or whoever you want to be here.

Velisity Ellecon wrote:
The tutorial was awesome but i'm so far behind that it's going to take me years to catch up to other people.

Catch up to what? or who? I've enconutered many alphas while my expeditions, trying different thing in New Eden, asking me for help if they don't understand something, mostly exploration because that is what I do here. Asking for fits, mechanics, ISK potential. What's behind the next hill generally, and I'm telling them basically the same. EvE is a sandbox, it feels complicated, learning curve is very curved at start.

Anybody has Altrue sheet "what to do in EvE"?

"I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas..." - Herman Melville

#11 - 2017-01-05 07:08:17 UTC
Velisity Ellecon wrote:

Thank you,
Velisity

Well, i mean. It is what it is in terms of learning curve. Simply saying you won't pay for a game because you have things to learn is pretty silly. But ultimately - as others have mentioned - it's a game that sadly, pathetically - solely relies on the simple BYPRODUCT of player-to-player interaction to create "content". You have to go full closet-jerker to get the "real" experience thus far. And i don't see this game lasting another 5-8 years; at least in a non-vegetative state imminent to death, unless the developers start developing, and stop tweaking.
#12 - 2017-01-05 07:35:51 UTC
Velisity Ellecon wrote:

Thank you,
Velisity

Bye.

o/
The Bloc
#13 - 2017-01-05 07:59:02 UTC
NofriendNoLifeStilPostin wrote:
The pvp in the game is really crap. I've been hoping it would get better for years but unfortunately its still all about numbers and the force multiplayer effects of that. You have to have multiple computers if you want to stand a chance.

The tutorial really is the best part.

Congratulations on beating EVE.

With a name like that it's no wonder you're talking crap about PVP.

Post with your NPC alt main and not your main main alt!

#14 - 2017-01-05 08:11:28 UTC
Eve is and always has been a sandbox first and foremost through which each player sets their own goals and works towards them. If you are after a game where you are led through a single storyline then eve isn't for you. Player generated content and goals are about 90% of eve and even mission running offers numerous options and paths for players to consider. Sorry to see you go - but eve isn't for everyone.
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2017-01-05 09:17:51 UTC
EVE is only good for a particular type of people. That's why this "alpha" thing won't help it so much.
Caldari State
#16 - 2017-01-05 09:32:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Hakawai
OP is right. Not 100% right, nor right for every prospective player, but right for plenty of prospective players.

It's not OP's fault either, despite the "victim blaming" (like the posts that end "EVE isn't for everyone").

There is a large and completely unnecessary "speed bump" at about the point new players want to buy their first T1 cruiser. A bunch of negative things come together at the same time, and the right move for a lot of prospective players is to stop spending time on EVE.

Filtering players this way makes no sense at all. And it makes little more sense to pretend that getting though the various "speed bumps" is a sign of virtue and fitness to play EVE. For a lot of potential long-term players it just indicates having too much time available and a high tolerance for boredom.

Of course EVE isn't the only MMO to do this - it seems to be the rule rather than the exception - but right now, despite its history, EVE has an opportunity to grow.
#17 - 2017-01-05 09:42:50 UTC
Velisity Ellecon wrote:

It's true, research takes longer and knowing how to do stuff isn't simple.
It is free to try in a limited form.
Catching up is impossible and not a consideration. You could buy a character with more SP than me (09 character here) but knowing how, when and where to use what those skills unlock is knowledge that can't be bought.
Pretty sure the devs know exactly why you don't think EvE is for you.

Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.

Vendetta Mercenary Group
#18 - 2017-01-05 09:49:47 UTC
I can't understand why people say they cant 'catch up', afew years back this was the case but since then we have seen the introduction of remaps, boosters, skill injectors and i've seen new players under a year old bypass my skill points and ive been playing over ten years.

Hopefully you will stick to it and join a newbie friendly corp such as Horde or Eve Uni and they will be able to help you and give you a role to play in Eve.
#19 - 2017-01-05 10:00:55 UTC
Top 5 Misconceptions
by Rasman

"I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas..." - Herman Melville

Gallente Federation
#20 - 2017-01-05 10:01:46 UTC
Hakawai wrote:
OP is right. Not 100% right, nor right for every prospective player, but right for plenty of prospective players.

It's not OP's fault either, despite the "victim blaming" ( like the posts that end EVE isn't for everyone).

This is a large and completely unnecessary "speed bump" at about the point new players want to buy their first T1 cruiser. A bunch of negative things come together at the same time, and the right move for a lot of prospective players is to stop spending time on EVE.

Filtering players this way makes no sense at all. And it makes little more sense to pretend that getting though the various "speed bumps" is a sign of virtue and fitness to play EVE. For a lot of potential long-term players it just indicates having too much time and a high tolerance for boredom).

Of course EVE isn't the only MMO to do this - it seems to be the rule rather than the exception - but right now, despite its history, EVE has an opportunity to grow.

I think filtering is a good idea at the beginning. EVE is just sucks a lot of times, even if you are old player. It requires a lot of meta-gaming, reading bunch of stuff on the internet, learning and trying a bunch of stuff, realising you need another 2 week/month to properly do or skill up something, using out of game applications, using excel tables, etcetc. There only some kind of people who likes those things. I have a lot of clever gamer friends, and nobody of them wants to ever try EVE at all, or they just tried to realise, this game is not made for them.

I see a lot of clueless players and from the questions they ask, you can see most of them will just fail.
3 Pages123Next page