Ships & Modules

 
 

Gallente Shield Tanked Now?

Author
Brave Collective
#1 - 2017-02-23 14:06:57 UTC
Hello,

I am just getting back into EVE again and looking to run some missions. I am mostly Gallente trained and was looking up some fits and I am noticing a lot more shield tanking for lvl 1-3 mission fits through https://o.smium.org/

Algos, Catalyst, Vexor (this one surprised me), and Myrmidon ( I know you could shield this one a couple years ago).

Are shields really this viable nowadays for mission running? I know that maybe its just a trash fit but a lot of these seem viable. From what I know PVP used shield tanking and PVE used armor reps. Is this still the same, different?
#2 - 2017-02-23 14:14:05 UTC
Taku Rybnik wrote:
'....From what I know PVP used shield tanking and PVE used armor reps. Is this still the same, different?'


I've always known it as the other way around as in PvP you need the mid slots for tackling mods etc whereas in PvE you'd need the low slots for damage mods.
Brave Collective
#3 - 2017-02-23 14:16:40 UTC
Zeewolf 46137 wrote:
Taku Rybnik wrote:
'....From what I know PVP used shield tanking and PVE used armor reps. Is this still the same, different?'


I've always known it as the other way around as in PvP you need the mid slots for tackling mods etc whereas in PvE you'd need the low slots for damage mods.


I always thought PVE you need the mids for armor repairs for the large amounts of enemies, have a drone damage mod and guns, lows is like cap rechargers or boosters I thought.
Hole Control
#4 - 2017-02-23 14:24:40 UTC
Taku Rybnik wrote:
Zeewolf 46137 wrote:
Taku Rybnik wrote:
'....From what I know PVP used shield tanking and PVE used armor reps. Is this still the same, different?'


I've always known it as the other way around as in PvP you need the mid slots for tackling mods etc whereas in PvE you'd need the low slots for damage mods.


I always thought PVE you need the mids for armor repairs for the large amounts of enemies, have a drone damage mod and guns, lows is like cap rechargers or boosters I thought.


Armor-tanking modules go to low-slots, shield-tanking modules go to mid-slots.

Wormholer for life.

#5 - 2017-02-23 14:30:54 UTC
Both shield and armor tanking are viable for PvE mission running. It really comes down to skills and personal preference.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Brave Collective
#6 - 2017-02-23 14:32:35 UTC
I reversed it: cap rechargers in mids armor tanking in lows, bleh. Same thought though
#7 - 2017-02-24 20:57:02 UTC
The point is that you can armor tank a Golem or shield tank a Kronos - but why would you want to?

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

#8 - 2017-02-24 21:02:36 UTC
wtf are we talking about boiz.....

HULL TANKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#9 - 2017-02-24 22:26:11 UTC
I guess hull tanking is viable with free repairs from Citadels and Engineering Complexes now. Just need to add a few minutes to your mission completion times...

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

O.U.Z.O. Alliance
#10 - 2017-02-24 22:45:47 UTC
Soel Reit wrote:
wtf are we talking about boiz.....

HULL TANKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Soel, hull tanked Flycatcher = best Flycatcher AMIRITE Big smile

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

#11 - 2017-02-25 18:51:11 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
Soel Reit wrote:
wtf are we talking about boiz.....

HULL TANKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Soel, hull tanked Flycatcher = best Flycatcher AMIRITE Big smile



ibis hull tanked is dope though Cool
#12 - 2017-02-25 19:59:25 UTC
Missions are pretty easy so many fits are viable. Also many gallente ships have pretty flexible slot layouts. Also with drone boats your range doesn't matter too much so you can just throw on a light shield tank and kite most of the damage, then use your lows for mainly damage mods.

selling officer BCUs! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6872141

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Caldari State
#13 - 2017-02-27 01:50:18 UTC
If you have the skills for it several Gallente ships work well when shield tanked.
Vexor, Myrmiddon, Dominix & Ishtar will all happily support either tank.

Main reason is additional flexibility in load-outs

if you armour tank, you retain the mids for +application mods
if you shield tank, you free up extra slots for +damage mods

of course using a load-out that makes the most of any hull bonus is generally going to be a good approach
and its a better approach to use if you are new to missions or returning after a long absence
you can always switch it about and mix it up later
Forum Jump