Ships & Modules

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Are Heat Sinks supposed to use cap?

Author
#1 - 2017-03-21 00:37:21 UTC
Been using Gyros for a long time and they dont seem to use any, but fitted a Stratios today and it seems the heat sinks use a little bit around 1.7 GJ each, is that right? or is there a skill out there to make that number lower. The description doesn't even show that that use any cap.
#2 - 2017-03-21 00:54:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Soel Reit
heat sinks are modules that amplify laser damage.
more output=more energy needed= more cap needed.

Gyros don't require more caps becouse they are for arty/autocannons weapons that don't use any cap to start with.
0*x= 0

stratios with laser doesn't seem a good choice but up to you.
(stardard stratios is with drones as dps, armor repairs, neuts in the highs and utility in mids)

what i suggest you is to learn to use Pyfa
and join a corp with vets that can teach you :)

have fun and good luck out there Blink

oh wait... just saw 2k12 character...wtf?
#3 - 2017-03-21 01:00:14 UTC
Not quite. Heat sinks increase rate of fire, which increases cap drain indirectly (because the lasers drain more often). That's the effect you're seeing and no, there is no way around it. It's one argument for using a damage rig rather than a RoF rig even though the latter increases DPS more than the former.
#4 - 2017-03-21 01:14:51 UTC
Soel Reit wrote:
heat sinks are modules that amplify laser damage.
more output=more energy needed= more cap needed.

Gyros don't require more caps becouse they are for arty/autocannons weapons that don't use any cap to start with.
0*x= 0

stratios with laser doesn't seem a good choice but up to you.
(stardard stratios is with drones as dps, armor repairs, neuts in the highs and utility in mids)

what i suggest you is to learn to use Pyfa
and join a corp with vets that can teach you :)

have fun and good luck out there Blink

oh wait... just saw 2k12 character...wtf?


May be 2K12 but first time trying anything to do with Amarr, so it's all a bit familiar but strange to me. Dont enjoy drones btw, so would rather not depend on them as the only source of damage. Have around 520 dps atm and that is around what my Cynabal had, it's just probing some high sec so it should be more then enough for those rats. Will definitely take your advice on the drones long term, may eventually get used to micro managing them.

Zhillia thanks for more detail on this as well.
#5 - 2017-03-21 01:20:27 UTC
yea with only drones you can get around 400~ 450~ dps as well :)
if it's only highsec then really no problem

if you start venturing in low/null you may want to switch to neut for the 1vs1 or 1vs2 Blink
O.U.Z.O. Alliance
#6 - 2017-03-21 11:31:00 UTC
Soel Reit wrote:
yea with only drones you can get around 400~ 450~ dps as well :)
if it's only highsec then really no problem

if you start venturing in low/null you may want to switch to neut for the 1vs1 or 1vs2 Blink


Again with the Curse..

You can fly a Pilgrim instead, does the same thing better just not with heavy drones.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

#7 - 2017-03-21 17:04:22 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
Soel Reit wrote:
yea with only drones you can get around 400~ 450~ dps as well :)
if it's only highsec then really no problem

if you start venturing in low/null you may want to switch to neut for the 1vs1 or 1vs2 Blink


Again with the Curse..

You can fly a Pilgrim instead, does the same thing better just not with heavy drones.


fight me!
come @ me bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stratios get only 200 dps more than pilgrim Cool
O.U.Z.O. Alliance
#8 - 2017-03-21 17:18:37 UTC
Yes but the Pilgrim has this SURPRISE birthday-party bonus and who doesn't like surprise parties??

Okay, I don't but you see my point.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

#9 - 2017-03-21 17:21:41 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
Yes but the Pilgrim has this SURPRISE birthday-party bonus and who doesn't like surprise parties??

Okay, I don't but you see my point.


if your point is a surprise then i can't see it TBH!

#NeverNotAPilgrim Cool
#10 - 2017-03-22 06:07:52 UTC
Zhilia Mann wrote:
Not quite. Heat sinks increase rate of fire, which increases cap drain indirectly (because the lasers drain more often). That's the effect you're seeing and no, there is no way around it. It's one argument for using a damage rig rather than a RoF rig even though the latter increases DPS more than the former.



This. With projectiles the RoF increase doesn't mean a net ∆ change in cap consumption (same with BCUs), as they don't use capacitor to fire.

That being said, don't use heatsinks on a stratios; use DDAs instead. Optimal range is helpful for energy turrets, but it isn't a damage bonus, so you will get much less effective dps increase off of boosting your lesser vs greater source of damage.

Use neuts instead; for pvp they let you punch above your weight class, and for pve they let you either countergank, or shut down enemy tackle mods and gtfo if you know you are likely to lose the fight, or if you got probed out and got an inty punted in on top of you and local is spiking.

my other nano is a polycarb

The Wraithguard.
#11 - 2017-03-22 15:22:09 UTC
Lazors rock on the strat!
You just need to tweak the fit a bit .
If you want lots of dps, need to go for shield fit.

Damage Control II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II
Omnidirectional Tracking Enhancer II

50MN Microwarpdrive II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery
Republic Fleet Large Shield Extender
Warp Disruptor II

Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
Focused Medium Pulse Laser II,Scorch M
Focused Medium Pulse Laser II,Scorch M
Focused Medium Pulse Laser II,Scorch M
Focused Medium Pulse Laser II,Scorch M

Medium Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer II
Medium Core Defense Field Extender II
Medium Core Defense Field Extender II

Warrior II x5
Infiltrator II x5
Gecko x 2
Forum Jump