Market Discussions

 
 

returning trader asking for advice

Author
It Must Be Jelly Cause Jam Don't Shake
#1 - 2017-04-20 12:15:05 UTC
hi everyone,

I used to play the market game a few years back. After burning out I completely stopped and have been living off my savings since then. I still got a sizable capital left and now I'm trying to start up my trading again, but the landscape changed dramatically with introduction of citadels and all the expansions I never paid attention to. Basically I have been living in a cave (stalking wormholes and rarely venturing to the empire).

After few days of trading I've noticed some people utilize citadels to avoid taxes. As someone who used "sweat and tears" to grind faction and corp standings for multiple characters with COSMOS and missions it upset me, that the best you can do is to shave off 1% broker's fees out of 3% while citadels nextdoor have cool 100ISK fee, with no standings required. Anyway, adapt or die, right? So I've been setting up remote buy orders to the citadels with lowest taxes and noticed something:

1. How come a lot of people still use local station? And I mean for high value items 500mil+. The exception seems to be for PLEX and some other items over 1bil worth. Do citadels get destroyed that often? But even then I can't think of any downside apart losing your broker's fee (assuming there was one) or getting your assets stuck, which is also quite rare as most sales will be made in Jita anyways. Am I missing something here? Even with my high standings I can't see how I can be competitive against a trader in a private citadel.
2. I see some traders sitting in private citadels. What is the advantage over sitting in Jita and placing a remote buy order? Is it more efficient?

It would be great if fellow traders would share their thoughts on biggest differences/challenges of pre-citadel trading and after. Any advice is also appreciated.

Cheers,
Zosius
Caldari State
#2 - 2017-04-20 13:49:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Cista2
Zosius wrote:
2. I see some traders sitting in private citadels. What is the advantage over sitting in Jita and placing a remote buy order?

I have to correct you, you have to sit in the citadel to place your buy orders. You don't have to sit in Jita to place sell orders.

Yes, citadels get blown up immediately by Pandemic Horde. Any citadel that is not their own gets blown up. Once there is only the PH one left, they will set the taxes how they want them. But many traders keep supporting the free trade citadels.

My channel: "Signatures" -

It Must Be Jelly Cause Jam Don't Shake
#3 - 2017-04-20 14:08:50 UTC
Cista2 wrote:
Zosius wrote:
2. I see some traders sitting in private citadels. What is the advantage over sitting in Jita and placing a remote buy order?

I have to correct you, you have to sit in the citadel to place your buy orders. You don't have to sit in Jita to place sell orders.

Yes, citadels get blown up immediately by Pandemic Horde. Any citadel that is not their own gets blown up. Once there is only the PH one left, they will set the taxes how they want them. But many traders keep supporting the free trade citadels.


Well I have placed many buy orders from Jita in the Citadel next door. In the market window I got appropriate broker tax to that citadel. Only difference is you have to choose the station before posting buy order.
#4 - 2017-04-20 14:41:14 UTC
I think you've figured this out, but citadels are great for buy orders as you can avoid the 3% brokerage hit (or 2% in your case, with max standings). When I set a buy order in Perimeter, more often than not it is filled in Jita, which works perfect cause thats where I want to sell it.

For sell orders, citadels suck with the exception of selling items like PLEX and Skill Injectors / Extractors (which can be activated remotely). Sure, you avoid the brokerage fee, but in my experience, people don't want to leave Jita to fly to Perimeter if they can just buy in Jita. Granted, you can severely discount your goods in Perimeter which might motivate people to buy them, but that defeats the point of selling in Perimeter in the first place.

People issuing high value buy items in Jita are likely just lazy. Like me. I issue lots of buy orders in Jita and I'm lazy. It's just easier.

And I would guess people using their own private citadels to issue buy orders are doing so out of a novelty. I don't think they are any further ahead than someone using one of the Planet V or I Choose You stations. I could be missing the point though.
Caldari State
#5 - 2017-04-20 14:53:59 UTC
Zosius wrote:
Well I have placed many buy orders from Jita in the Citadel next door. In the market window I got appropriate broker tax to that citadel. Only difference is you have to choose the station before posting buy order.

Oops, I didn't even know they had got that working. You still lose the Jita lag by sitting elsewhere though.

My channel: "Signatures" -

Gallente Federation
#6 - 2017-04-20 18:25:32 UTC
No magic, just buy remotely in Jita via the current Planet V free trade hub, sell in Jita eating the fee. Convenience of a single place to trade and multi-buy/sell are strong incentives for stock not leaving Jita anytime soon. Same for the other hubs, although they are only a shadow of itself.

I'm my own NPC alt.

Caldari Armed Forces.
#7 - 2017-04-24 14:15:38 UTC
I use the I Choose You hubs, they're cheaper than Jita and stable, dont get blown up and saves me the hassle of moving orders and stuff around. I find that to be a right balance between convenience and some additional margins.
Forum Jump