Intergalactic Summit

 
2 PagesPrevious page12
 

On Force

Author
#21 - 2017-05-08 04:51:46 UTC
James Syagrius wrote:
Ironicly the same argument has been directed at me regarding the Amarrian faith Ms. Jenneth.

Now your religious proclivities are your own, I understand but considering whom you serve.... Many things are allowed in the Federation, after a fashion, and within the law.


Well ... that's natural. If either faith gains majority voting power, your society's likely to change a little. Most Imperial Amarr seem to see the faith and the Empire as kind of one and the same. I wonder whether Amarr outside the Empire see it the same way, though.

Those I've met ... it seems maybe not?

Anyway, I'm still an Achur, Mr. Syagrius. We have several monasteries in your Federation, but ... well ... that means exactly that. Several monasteries; probably a few thousand Achura.

Although! We are of course planning to spread aggressively and bring you all under the righteous rule of the Elder Visionaries! Soon all shall bow before us! Bwahaha!





(That was a joke, if it wasn't obvious. ... though I guess you might have to be an Achur to understand just how funny such an idea is.)

(We're about as aggressive as toast.)
#22 - 2017-05-08 11:22:09 UTC
Toasts can still make you choke and die.

Watch out.

Join Project Transcendence.

Applied technology for the enhancement of human experience.

Electus Matari
#23 - 2017-05-08 11:51:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Elsebeth Rhiannon
Lasairiona Raske wrote:
Shut up, Vlad.

Now if I said anything like that to any capsuleer in public there'd be a huge outcry of "how rude!" and "do you have to always be so negative" and all that.

Which brings me to the point.

Quote:
Force is the only way to truly keep humans in line.

This is a fact. In the end, if the humans do not want to stay in line, the only thing that will make them so is force, and sometimes not even force - individual humans can sometimes choose to die rather than submit to force.

However, it is a very simplistic view of the universe, so simplistic that this fact alone tells you almost nothing. It's like saying "in the end, everything must follow gravity". That's a fact, too, but you cannot explain planes based on only that - let alone spaceships.

There are many ways to "make" people do things. They will follow words, they will follow loyalty, they will follow love, they will follow glory, they will follow status. They will follow mana - influence. Some people have it. Some people get other people to accept things, to do things, without the threat of force, without the threat of anything - they get people to do what they feel is necessary because those people will want to do it.

In the end, there is only force. But the trick is not to let it go to that end if you do not have to.

This is especially true among capsuleers. There is only so much force you can put on any of them. You can kick them out of a corporation and you can force them out of a region of space, but that's pretty much the limit of what you can by force.

So you need other ways.

Else
#24 - 2017-05-08 23:58:12 UTC
Aria Jenneth wrote:
Well ... that's natural. If either faith gains majority voting power, your society's likely to change a little. Most Imperial Amarr seem to see the faith and the Empire as kind of one and the same. I wonder whether Amarr outside the Empire see it the same way, though.
Those I've met ... it seems maybe not?
The Federation has a way of tempering the majority while exaggerating the minority Ms. Jenneth. So she remains remarkably unchanged season to season, regardless of demographic changes, due mostly to the prevailing common culture of ‘yes’ and the complicated mix of popular and federated government.

There is a sizable Amarr population within the Federation, though admittedly concentrated, not forgetting the Ni-Kunni seem to assimilate more rapidly.

The 'Faithful' within the Federation used to be more vocal. But as with most, traditions yield to modernity one funeral at a time. One thing however you might find of interest is a core tenant of the ‘Reformed Faith’ within the Federation being that ‘God’ is greater than the Empire. That the Amarr have turned the faith of ‘Amarr’ into a faith about Amarr.

Aria Jenneth wrote:
Anyway, I'm still an Achur, Mr. Syagrius. We have several monasteries in your Federation, but ... well ... that means exactly that. Several monasteries; probably a few thousand Achura.

Although! We are of course planning to spread aggressively and bring you all under the righteous rule of the Elder Visionaries! Soon all shall bow before us! Bwahaha!
I am sadly ignorant of the Achur or their ways. But with your recommendation I will take a risk and seek out one of these ‘radical’ monastic orders to visit.
Arataka Research Consortium
#25 - 2017-05-09 04:00:30 UTC
James Syagrius wrote:
Aria Jenneth wrote:


Although! We are of course planning to spread aggressively and bring you all under the righteous rule of the Elder Visionaries! Soon all shall bow before us! Bwahaha!
I am sadly ignorant of the Achur or their ways. But with your recommendation I will take a risk and seek out one of these ‘radical’ monastic orders to visit.


Careful, James - they'll try to steal your shoes!

For the first time since I started the conversation, he looks me dead in the eye. In his gaze are steel jackhammers, quiet vengeance, a hundred thousand orbital bombs frozen in still life.

Goonswarm Federation
#26 - 2017-05-09 04:11:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Arrendis
Aria Jenneth wrote:
Although! We are of course planning to spread aggressively and bring you all under the righteous rule of the Elder Visionaries! Soon all shall bow before us! Bwahaha!





(That was a joke, if it wasn't obvious. ... though I guess you might have to be an Achur to understand just how funny such an idea is.)

(We're about as aggressive as toast.)


I have to admit, I rather like the idea of an oppressive tyranny conducted by the leaders of a sect devoted to the belief in the unity of all things.

"You shall all bow... before... everything. Whoah. Like that bumblebee! Bow to the bumblebee! And the flower! And that grass! You see the wind? It's making the grass bow to you! And you're the grass! So you're bowing to you... bowing to you... bowing to the bumblebee... so trippy..."
#27 - 2017-05-09 22:23:16 UTC
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
Careful, James - they'll try to steal your shoes!
That is disturbing on many levels.
Monyusaiya Industry Trade Group
#28 - 2017-05-10 05:32:02 UTC
Che Biko wrote:
Sarikusa should know better. True Power comes from Nation.

It's a shame he doesn't...

Aria Jenneth wrote:
I dislike them because they're horrendously obsessed with a single jagged shard of reality, and most of them, instead of noting the truth they've found and moving on, just sort of cluster around it cutting themselves (and other people) on its edges and congratulating themselves over what a wonderful, shiny, sharp find they've made.

But it is very shiny!

Sinjin Mokk wrote:
I do know of one organization that excels in the proper utilization of great force and control systems.

And for the past century...they are never far.

Oooooh lemme guess!

Equilibrium of Mankind?

...Ro... rogue drones?

Oh! Goons?

The Jove???

Pod goo deodorant suppliers?

Crystal Boulevard hi-end retailers? (At least when I'm in their stores)

...

Nope. I'm out. I give up! TELL ME! DON'T LEAVE ME HANGING!
#29 - 2017-05-10 06:07:49 UTC
James Syagrius wrote:
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
Careful, James - they'll try to steal your shoes!
That is disturbing on many levels.

He's messing with you (and us) a little, Mr. Syagrius. It's customary to remove shoes inside a temple or similar space, and sometimes throughout a whole monastery (depending on where it is, which sect runs it, and how it's designed). Practice, meditation, and prayer is all typically done barefoot, in stocking feet, or (especially in colder places) with special indoor shoes or slippers.
The Bastard Cartel
#30 - 2017-05-10 06:28:56 UTC
Mebrithiel Ju'wien wrote:
Che Biko wrote:
Sarikusa should know better. True Power comes from Nation.

It's a shame he doesn't...

Aria Jenneth wrote:
I dislike them because they're horrendously obsessed with a single jagged shard of reality, and most of them, instead of noting the truth they've found and moving on, just sort of cluster around it cutting themselves (and other people) on its edges and congratulating themselves over what a wonderful, shiny, sharp find they've made.

But it is very shiny!

Sinjin Mokk wrote:
I do know of one organization that excels in the proper utilization of great force and control systems.

And for the past century...they are never far.

Oooooh lemme guess!

Equilibrium of Mankind?

...Ro... rogue drones?

Oh! Goons?

The Jove???

Pod goo deodorant suppliers?

Crystal Boulevard hi-end retailers? (At least when I'm in their stores)

...

Nope. I'm out. I give up! TELL ME! DON'T LEAVE ME HANGING!



It me.
2 PagesPrevious page12
Forum Jump