3 PagesPrevious page123Next page

The downside of alpha clones

Author
Brave Collective
#21 - 2017-05-16 15:20:37 UTC
Alessienne Ellecon wrote:
Linus Gorp wrote:
Starter corps are there to help you, not hold your friggin' hand.

But that's what those people need. 24/7 handholding because they're incapable of emitting intelligence or thinking for themselves. This applies to well over 80% of the human race by now, and it's rising.

I've seen some intelligent noobs who could figure out EVE pretty well. The rest, well, still haven't figured out how they shot web. A lot of the time they're simply not paying attention.

@Ashiri Hareka: There's saying and doing stupid things, and then there's just being an utter doofus who can't pour urine out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

@Magnus Jax: Notice how I said shut up about badfits?

Bottom line: if you can't figure out how to do the simplest things in this game without constant handholding, you need to go play Hello Kitty Adventure Island or something because you are clearly not cut out for EVE. CCP and sundry individuals have made it quite clear on many occasions that the EVE newbie experience boils down to "welcome to EVE, here's a ship, go **** yourself." Starter corp members don't necessarily HAVE to help new players; they do so out of the kindness of their hearts and are under absolutely no obligation to babysit Captain Herpyderp who can't tell the difference between a railgun and a laser.

You are a horrible person.
#22 - 2017-05-16 16:33:17 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
It's not the skill restrictions, or the inability to cloak. It's the number of halfwits flooding starter corp chat going 'HURR DURR HOW I SHOT ENEMIE'. Seriously, I had some guy ask how to load ammo into his turrets.

I know EVE has a steep learning curve, but come on! Fiddle around with things and figure the basic stuff out for yourself. I never had to ask how to fit mods onto a ship (inb4 badfits, shut up) or how to undock or load ammo or anything like that, I used the brain I was born with and FIGURED THINGS OUT. Starter corps are there to help you, not hold your friggin' hand.

That's what free to play brings, people who , for some reason, are so afraid of failure than experimenting with things to see how they work is asking too much. This is why the whole free to play experiment failed, EVE is no bigger now than it was before, despite the fact that people claimed FOR YEARS that making the game free to play would bring in so many 'new players'.

The vast majority of those alphas asking for help won't stay past the tutorial, because EVE is the kind of game where you HAVE to be a natural self-starting type to enjoy it. Many people (including CCP, who have invested years trying to figure out a NPE experience, mostly in vain) cannot understand this.

They think that if you 'teach people the basic mechanics, they will go out there and learn the rest on their own'. This is simply untrue, the kind of person who NEEDS to be taught the mechanics 1st is the same kind of person who will always need some kind of guidance. This is true of human beings in every setting, not just games.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Likewise you can make EVE Online free to play but you will never ever get most gamers (who are themepark types) to enjoy a formless free for all / do it yourself type gameworld.

Great. Now I agree with Jenn on something and I'm all a out of bleach. Hopefully I have some military MRE's laying around somewhere.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

#23 - 2017-05-16 16:49:52 UTC
OK Here is some Wolfhammer™ brand wisdom:

I have worked in technical fields since around 1992. Back in my day, before these blasted kids started their incursions onto my lawn, people who did anything technical were inherently self-starting.

Be advised that this was BEFORE google.

Eve Online started, by my estimation, roughly 5 years before the beginning of what appears to be a kind of societal collapse. How so? Well roughly 10 years ago I was a mere monkey amongst mental giants in my field: engineer types mainly. I used to get pulled aside and asked "how come you never became an engineer?". I told them I had too much of a sense of humor.

Now in the present, a new crop of people sit in front of keyboards. Millenials mostly. My generation went into early retirement or got "kicked upstairs" or something.

People who don't think.
People who don't look up any documentation on how to do things and actually read them.
People who have to ask every damned little question for every damned little thing.
People calling themselves "engineer", or "software developer", or "product manager" who can't troubleshoot anything.
They sit there and expect "point and click all done" and any departure from expected results, here come complaints, endless questions, pity...

And for the last 10 years I have watched this gradually take on. "Oh Bob does not work here any more. He retired/got promoted/quit. His replacement is Brandon/Kaily/Caitlin/(insert any other stupid millennial name here)".

The trend of giving kids "special" names, as if it was going to give them some specialness in life, started in the late 1980s. When I see one of those names in my in-box I can accurately predict what will happen next. I had a job that went from pleasant to acid reflux. And it happened so gradually I didn't see it at first.

So... a couple of decades of Ritalin, Listicles, and participation trophies have brought us to.... this? if there had been alpha clones at the inception of Eve, the noob zones would look like Uedama at certain times with all the ships bumping each other constantly.

Even with the NPE we had then: "Here's a noob ship. Here's how to undock and fly it. Now f**k off".

So it's not Eve's fault. It's... well the fault of my generation mainly. We're crappy parents. We remembered when we fell off our bikes or had to punch a bully to be left alone and then went on some crusade to ensure that the next generation would be coddled to (mental) death. Now we see the results in the game. I see the results IRL. Every day.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

#24 - 2017-05-16 16:58:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
Limited Expectations
#25 - 2017-05-16 17:18:02 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
try to dumb the game.
Too late *khy khy* plex vault *khy khy*
#26 - 2017-05-16 17:30:48 UTC
Blade Darth wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:
try to dumb the game.
Too late *khy khy* plex vault *khy khy*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein

And if they would take a moment to though it over, they would see that all their work is futile, there will be always someone more stupid.
ChaosTheory.
#27 - 2017-05-16 17:44:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

I have worked in technical fields since around 1992. Back in my day, before these blasted kids started their incursions onto my lawn, people who did anything technical were inherently self-starting.

Eve Online started, by my estimation, roughly 5 years before the beginning of what appears to be a kind of societal collapse. How so? Well roughly 10 years ago I was a mere monkey amongst mental giants in my field: engineer types mainly. I used to get pulled aside and asked "how come you never became an engineer?". I told them I had too much of a sense of humor.

Now in the present, a new crop of people sit in front of keyboards. Millenials mostly. My generation went into early retirement or got "kicked upstairs" or something.

People who don't think.
People who don't look up any documentation on how to do things and actually read them.
People who have to ask every damned little question for every damned little thing.
People calling themselves "engineer", or "software developer", or "product manager" who can't troubleshoot anything.
They sit there and expect "point and click all done" and any departure from expected results, here come complaints, endless questions, pity...

And for the last 10 years I have watched this gradually take on. "Oh Bob does not work here any more. He retired/got promoted/quit. His replacement is Brandon/Kaily/Caitlin/(insert any other stupid millennial name here)".

The trend of giving kids "special" names, as if it was going to give them some specialness in life, started in the late 1980s. When I see one of those names in my in-box I can accurately predict what will happen next. I had a job that went from pleasant to acid reflux. And it happened so gradually I didn't see it at first.

So... a couple of decades of Ritalin, Listicles, and participation trophies have brought us to.... this? if there had been alpha clones at the inception of Eve, the noob zones would look like Uedama at certain times with all the ships bumping each other constantly.

Even with the NPE we had then: "Here's a noob ship. Here's how to undock and fly it. Now f**k off".

So it's not Eve's fault. It's... well the fault of my generation mainly. We're crappy parents. We remembered when we fell off our bikes or had to punch a bully to be left alone and then went on some crusade to ensure that the next generation would be coddled to (mental) death. Now we see the results in the game. I see the results IRL. Every day.

Probably a big part of it. I know that every generation since Aristotle thought the ones that came after it sucked, but there are some issues (and tbh, some good points too) about the one were are talking about here.

BUT generation is not all of it, not by a long shot. People like the ones we are talking about have always existed and always will. I had a friend in high school in the late 80s like that.

We loved to play video games, video games were what our relationship was based on, but he struggled sometimes and was always asking silly questions and basically just not getting it at all.. I enjoyed playing games and learning, I loved the sense of accomplishment that came with figuring it out. he hated that and would put down a game quick if he got stuck, or pester me with a bunch of questions about what to do.

Then came the Game Genie... That thing actually ruined our friendship lol, as soon he had it he REFUSED to play a game without out it or a game that was not supported by it. We'd rent games and he wouldn't even try it on regular.

Between the game genie and cheat codes books he never played a 'straight' game again. I found that to be no fun at all, why play if you can't lose. We stopped hanging out because of that thing.

Years later after college an old high school buddy mentioned to me that the guy went to work for some investment group in New York and was making a bunch of money. So at least his love of rigged games got him somewhere in life ...at least until he got thrown in jail Twisted
Solitaire.
#28 - 2017-05-16 18:18:09 UTC
Frisky LaDouche wrote:
I will let someone else come along and explain in more flowery terms what I mean to say... because you are bit of a douche for complaining about new players asking for help in the beginner channel. I am sure there is a more diplomatic and kind way to say that, but I am neither diplomatic or kind.... so, yeah.

Also unrelated to topic but it's neither/nor
You don't need an or there. Wasnt sure if it was a typo or not.
#29 - 2017-05-16 19:39:58 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Magnus Jax wrote:
It's not the skill restrictions, or the inability to cloak. It's the number of halfwits flooding starter corp chat going 'HURR DURR HOW I SHOT ENEMIE'. Seriously, I had some guy ask how to load ammo into his turrets.

I know EVE has a steep learning curve, but come on! Fiddle around with things and figure the basic stuff out for yourself. I never had to ask how to fit mods onto a ship (inb4 badfits, shut up) or how to undock or load ammo or anything like that, I used the brain I was born with and FIGURED THINGS OUT. Starter corps are there to help you, not hold your friggin' hand.

You're right, there are a lot of stupid people and there's a lot of lazy people as well. Here's 3 indications of massive stupidity:

1) not being able to use someone else's (a newbie in this case) perspective

2) not realising that EVE's UI is, at best, different from other MMOs and doesn't necessarily make logical sense to people who have only played mainstream games or MMOs

3 not realising that there's zero difference between the old trial newbies and the new alpha newbies, in this regard

Thank you for voicing your opinions, showing us actual stupidity.

The stupidity is failing to realize that the vast majority of those people in starter corps asking every imaginable question rather than trying things out for themselves are, in fact, human adults (and mostly male) who should be able to figure some things out on their own and then asking pertinent questions about things after they've done this.

A few weeks ago while changing corps I spent a few hours in NPC corps (not even noob corps, regular npc corps) and the amount of helplessness, anguish and crying was astounding to me. How do these people dress themselves in the morning?

The worst part is that most of those clueless Alphas have the right to vote in whatever country they are in....

It's always been that way. I've been in Rookie channel for well over a decade now (on and off, and on different characters obviously), it's no different today than it was before.
Warped Intentions
#30 - 2017-05-16 19:57:22 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

People who don't think.

I'm now a HUGE Wolfhammer fan!! It's like we share a mind. My wife and I have been soooo fortunate with our kids. We raised them to go out and experience things, like we did growing up. We limited the video games extensively because a lot of our generation actually saw this coming. Now my son plays Eve, actually got me into it, and his effort in learning the rules and nuances of this game have helped me immeasurably. Our daughter, born in '91, is working on her MBA. Worked hard and put herself through school. No me, me, me; no self entitled I want it now BS. She worked for it. A concept lost on todays younger generations. At the time when we were turning off the video games and kicking the kids outside to play and grow an imagination, they were clearly not our biggest fans. But now, both have thanked us repeatedly for what we did for them, My daughter said it best when she said, 'Maybe you don't realize it, but you saved us."
Kids, huh?
Thanks Wolfhammer!!

"The world ain't fair, there is no Santa Claus, and not everyone gets a F'n trophy just for showing up. Welcome to the real world. Welcome to Eve."

#31 - 2017-05-16 20:03:11 UTC
Shawn en Tilavine wrote:
I'm now a HUGE Wolfhammer fan!! It's like we share a mind. My wife and I have been soooo fortunate with our kids. We raised them to go out and experience things, like we did growing up. We limited the video games extensively because a lot of our generation actually saw this coming. Now my son plays Eve, actually got me into it, and his effort in learning the rules and nuances of this game have helped me immeasurably. Our daughter, born in '91, is working on her MBA. Worked hard and put herself through school. No me, me, me; no self entitled I want it now BS. She worked for it. A concept lost on todays younger generations. At the time when we were turning off the video games and kicking the kids outside to play and grow an imagination, they were clearly not our biggest fans. But now, both have thanked us repeatedly for what we did for them, My daughter said it best when she said, 'Maybe you don't realize it, but you saved us."
Kids, huh?
Thanks Wolfhammer!!

Congratulations. You did the right thing and your kids are way better off for it. A pity not more people are like you, as then I'd still have any hopes left that humanity can survive this century instead of heading straight for mass extinction.

When you don't know the difference between there, their, and they're, you come across as being so uneducated that your viewpoint can be safely dismissed. The literate is unlikely to learn much from the illiterate.

#32 - 2017-05-16 20:15:11 UTC
Nicolai Serkanner wrote:
Linus Gorp wrote:

But that's what those people need. 24/7 handholding because they're incapable of emitting intelligence or thinking for themselves. This applies to well over 80% of the human race by now, and it's rising.

I've seen some intelligent noobs who could figure out EVE pretty well. The rest, well, still haven't figured out how they shot web. A lot of the time they're simply not paying attention.

@Ashiri Hareka: There's saying and doing stupid things, and then there's just being an utter doofus who can't pour urine out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

@Magnus Jax: Notice how I said shut up about badfits?

Bottom line: if you can't figure out how to do the simplest things in this game without constant handholding, you need to go play Hello Kitty Adventure Island or something because you are clearly not cut out for EVE. CCP and sundry individuals have made it quite clear on many occasions that the EVE newbie experience boils down to "welcome to EVE, here's a ship, go **** yourself." Starter corp members don't necessarily HAVE to help new players; they do so out of the kindness of their hearts and are under absolutely no obligation to babysit Captain Herpyderp who can't tell the difference between a railgun and a laser.

You are a horrible person.

No, he's just speaking out the truth.

The common homo sapiens is a underdeveloped ****** that's being brainwashed and herded. People that are literally just dumb meatbags, wasting resources and destroying the planet. Nature would be way better off without them.

When you don't know the difference between there, their, and they're, you come across as being so uneducated that your viewpoint can be safely dismissed. The literate is unlikely to learn much from the illiterate.

#33 - 2017-05-16 20:15:53 UTC
wow, bunch of ostrich's here who love to blame other people.

As has been said by a few here already, this is nothing new, EVE's UI is terrible for things like loading ammo inside station, it doesn't have any obvious way of doing so, no visible ammo box, or reload icon or anything like that.
The drag & drop in station is a hidden feature.
Harassing people for missing a hidden feature is down right abuse and not ok, and by doing so all you do is demonstrate how immature the current EVE community actually is.

If you tell them and they then ask again tomorrow, then sure, remind them you told them yesterday and abandon them to their fate if they can't remember a basic skill once taught. But don't abuse people for not knowing about a hidden feature with no prompt.
Warped Intentions
#34 - 2017-05-16 20:19:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Shawn en Tilavine
Linus Gorp wrote:
Shawn en Tilavine wrote:
Kids, huh?
Thanks Wolfhammer!!

Congratulations. You did the right thing and your kids are way better off for it. A pity not more people are like you, as then I'd still have any hopes left that humanity can survive this century instead of heading straight for mass extinction.

As long as we continue to live in a world in which power and profit are valued above passion and principle, humanity will never evolve to realize it's full potential. I have hope that, in the end, our better angels will find the strength to shout down our failing demons, but, I fear, I will be long dead and gone before that day comes. But my heart is full and hope is still alive. Guess you can't really ask for a lot more. Smile

Respectfully Submitted.

"The world ain't fair, there is no Santa Claus, and not everyone gets a F'n trophy just for showing up. Welcome to the real world. Welcome to Eve."

#35 - 2017-05-16 20:31:39 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

People who don't think.

I'm going to disagree on some points.

Every generation has their share of mentally lazy people who don't think and just do the job they're told. We had many of them on assembly lines in the 50's... but that was okay because just doing what you're told without questioning anything or using critical thought still has value there.

You are right that you couldn't be involved in technology and be one of those things... because it was too hard to use. Do you remember how difficult it was just 20 years ago to ftp a file up to a webserver and key in html to display the image? Now... everyone can easily put a picture on facebook. Think about coding in pascal or C or Cobol... and compare that to designing code in Visual Studio .Net. It's black and white.

So because the advance in technology made the basic skills easier... you get the people who are only good at following orders without critical thinking skills entering those fields. Yes... the can pass programming classes where you are following instructions for a programming exercise. But they can't dig through 50,000 lines of spaghetti logic and find the cause of a bug... because there's no exercise for that.

This isn't a fault in the generation or a fault in parenting. It's what happens when you lower the barriers of access to a given career.
#36 - 2017-05-16 20:35:03 UTC
Shawn en Tilavine wrote:
Linus Gorp wrote:
Shawn en Tilavine wrote:
Kids, huh?
Thanks Wolfhammer!!

As long as we continue to live in a world in which power and profit are valued above passion and principle, humanity will never evolve to realize it's full potential. I have hope that in the end, our better angels will find the strength to shout down our failing demons, but, I fear, I will be long dead and gone before that day comes. But my heart is full and hope is still alive. Guess you can't really ask for a lot more. Smile

Respectfully Submitted.

We have AGI (Artificial General Intelligence) arriving in 20 to 30 years tops. That will result in ASI (Artificial Super Intelligence) and because nobody but 2(!!!) people are working on the safe AI problem full-time, this will be the end for the human race. The entire universe is better off for it.

And what potential exactly? 1/3rd of the worlds population is on Facebook. I think that makes it abundantly clear how "intelligent" this "intelligent species" really is. The one that's so god damn surprised about finding out animals aren't as dumb as they appear to be and that humans really aren't anything special.

Shattered Foundations
#37 - 2017-05-16 20:36:32 UTC
Frisky LaDouche wrote:
I will let someone else come along and explain in more flowery terms what I mean to say... because you are bit of a douche for complaining about new players asking for help in the beginner channel. I am sure there is a more diplomatic and kind way to say that, but I am neither diplomatic or kind.... so, yeah.

nope, you pretty much hit the nail on that one
VOID Intergalactic Forces
#38 - 2017-05-16 20:39:42 UTC
Linus Gorp wrote:

this is very true, I even had a guy in the military join and he had to have his hand held for every little thing even after I explained things in pain staken detailed and showed him.

Also im currently helping a corp that just opened up to alphas, and they cant take an order for nothing, you tell them not to dock because of WTs in that system and to wait to move their brand new cruiser....*10mins later* I lost my cruiser

"Sarcasm is the Recourse of a weak mind." -Dr. Smith

Limited Expectations
#39 - 2017-05-16 20:48:44 UTC
Linus Gorp wrote:
We have AGI (Artificial General Intelligence) arriving in 20 to 30 years tops. That will result in ASI (Artificial Super Intelligence) and because nobody but 2(!!!) people are working on the safe AI problem full-time, this will be the end for the human race. The entire universe is better off for it.
I prefer the name "technological singularity".
Don't worry, humans are like rats, we will survive. There is probably gonna be a whole range of AI's, androids and cyborgs and when everybody is "super", nobody is.
Warped Intentions
#40 - 2017-05-16 20:53:13 UTC
Linus Gorp wrote:
Shawn en Tilavine wrote:
Linus Gorp wrote:
Shawn en Tilavine wrote:
Kids, huh?
Thanks Wolfhammer!!

As long as we continue to live in a world in which power and profit are valued above passion and principle, humanity will never evolve to realize it's full potential. I have hope that in the end, our better angels will find the strength to shout down our failing demons, but, I fear, I will be long dead and gone before that day comes. But my heart is full and hope is still alive. Guess you can't really ask for a lot more. Smile

Respectfully Submitted.

And what potential exactly? 1/3rd of the worlds population is on Facebook. I think that makes it abundantly clear how "intelligent" this "intelligent species" really is. The one that's so god damn surprised about finding out animals aren't as dumb as they appear to be and that humans really aren't anything special.

Oh, it will get even more fun when the governments of the world start talking about the civil rights of artificial lifeforms vs those of Human, sentient beings.. Glad I won't be around for that one. Our species does have potential, but the time is waning to stop the slide. I've said it before, computers and the internet are loaded with potential, but its' been corrupted by bad actors hell bent on domination and control. For all the good that computers and the internet have provided, there are two drawbacks. It makes smart people lazy, and stupid people think they're smart. That sounds harsh and cruel, I know. But it is the reality, nonetheless.
Damn, this soapbox is getting way up in the air. I need to jump off before I hurt myself. Cool

3 PagesPrevious page123Next page