EVE General Discussion

^ Back to top

Topic is locked indefinitely.

2 Pages12Next page

New Website... Am I missing something?

Author
#1 Posted: 2012.02.07 19:24
So just got home and patched when I saw the promotion box in the client about the new website. Intrigued, I load the website and try to have a look at the following stuff mentioned in the promotion box:

1. Interactive Star Map
2. Community Spotlight
3. 3D Spaceship Gallery
4. Player Persona Quiz

So my experience so far:

1. Although technically interactive, is just a load of dots with a few systems highlighted that mean absolutely nothing. e.g. M-MD3B is highlighted, so what's happening there?
2. Have looked at the community site for a little while, but can't find any mention of this 'spotlight' feature.
3. Have found a list with pictures of a few ships, but no 3D feature. No ship spinning = Bad Cry
4. lol

Am I missing something or is the promotion box a little misleading? Another expansion that going to need a lot of 'patches' to get right?
Sanctuary Pact
#2 Posted: 2012.02.07 19:31
Your browser or browser settings are definitely short-changing you.
3d ship spinning works 100% in Chrome and IE9, I tried those to check.
Personnel Division Director - Bene Gesserit Chapterhouse 
CEO - Sanctuary Pact Alliance
Sanctuary Pact
#3 Posted: 2012.02.07 19:42
Static images in Safari browser. I suspect flash is involved, which as we know, is not supported by Apple.
#4 Posted: 2012.02.07 19:43  |  Edited by: wiLik
Thorn Galen wrote:
Your browser or browser settings are definitely short-changing you.
3d ship spinning works 100% in Chrome and IE9, I tried those to check.

Am using the latest version of Firefox (v10).

Where are you going to load the spaceship viewer? I'm going to the main site, clicking on the 'Spaceship Viewer' at the bottom of the page and all I get is a crappy, slightly blurry pictures.

edit: no Apple products involved here.... ever P
#5 Posted: 2012.02.07 19:43
Thorn Galen wrote:
Static images in Safari browser. I suspect flash is involved, which as we know, is not supported by Apple.

Not Flash, WebGL.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Sometimes when I post, I look at my sig and wish that I'd follow my own god damned advice.
Agony Empire
#6 Posted: 2012.02.07 19:49
Firefox support for webgl seems pretty bad; i eventually gave up on it and fired up the site in Chrome. The interactive starmap and ship viewer worked no problem in Chrome.
Sanctuary Pact
#7 Posted: 2012.02.07 19:50
I stand corrected.
My iPad + Safari = static images.
Will try Opera for the iPad.
#8 Posted: 2012.02.07 19:52
Grey Azorria wrote:
Thorn Galen wrote:

Not Flash, WebGL.

HTML 5.

But you are right not worky in safari 5.1.3. Guess the EVE webdemolishers couldn't find Hype to work with.
Gallente Federation
#9 Posted: 2012.02.07 19:52
Using Firefox v10... no issue with Ship viewer. But there is no sense of scale. Big ships should start zoomed in and then zoom out... may with a pod for size comparision
Check out my latest Chronicle in EON #28 - The Soulless Pilgrim
http://www.eonmagazine.co.uk/
#10 Posted: 2012.02.07 19:53
Opera 12 beta build does load into 3d environment, however only thing you can see are occasional engine light and ship itself is transparent, or not even there. Smile

Opera11 correctly doesnt support WebGL.

And I had no problems with Chromium.
Caldari State
#11 Posted: 2012.02.07 19:57
Thorn Galen wrote:

Confirming this.

In Firefox works fine.
#12 Posted: 2012.02.07 20:03
This is getting to the stage of needing a list of system requirements just to browse the website! ffs
#13 Posted: 2012.02.07 20:03
The site does not appear to support anything except Google Chrome for the 3D viewers (and IE9 from others, but I can't confirm). There are other browsers that have WebGL capability, but they are often slower than Chrome (Firefox, Safari, etc) so the CCP web devs chose to just display a static image instead.

They should enable WebGL features for more browsers.
Rifterlings - newbie-friendly swashbuckling corp ("weflyrifters" in-game channel). Join today! www.rifterlings.com

Accidentally The Whole Frigate (blog) - Learning how to pew pew, one loss at a time - www.thewholefrigate.com
Sanctuary Pact
#14 Posted: 2012.02.07 20:04
iPad + Opera Mini = WebGL not supported.
*snort*
SpaceMonkey's Alliance
#15 Posted: 2012.02.07 20:06  |  Edited by: ITTigerClawIK
is it just me or is the ship viewer in very low res?

also over hald the ships are missing

EDIT: Can we PLEASE intergrate ALL of the other site into the one site its a bit irritating logging onto each indiviual one
#16 Posted: 2012.02.07 20:21
@ITTigerClawIK
Please red the dev blog. Its MEANT to be low res so that is doesn't take too long to load.

Not sure why its working in browsers for some people and not others. Works in Firefox, Chrome but not IE for me
Go beyond the edge of space...
Explore
Northern Associates.
#17 Posted: 2012.02.07 20:21
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
The site does not appear to support anything except Google Chrome for the 3D viewers (and IE9 from others, but I can't confirm). There are other browsers that have WebGL capability, but they are often slower than Chrome (Firefox, Safari, etc) so the CCP web devs chose to just display a static image instead.

Do you read other peoples posts. The ship browser works fine in firefox, a static image is not shown.
Creater of the EVE animated influence map http://www.youtube.com/user/DustMityEVE
#18 Posted: 2012.02.07 20:28
Dusty Meg wrote:
Petrus Blackshell wrote:

Do you read other peoples posts. The ship browser works fine in firefox, a static image is not shown.

Then please explain.... thisBig smile
#19 Posted: 2012.02.07 20:33
Dusty Meg wrote:
Petrus Blackshell wrote:

Firefox beyond a certain version, I expect. I only have Firefox 7 on this computer. I suppose I will check later on my home computer, which is on the alpha channel of Firefox.
Rifterlings - newbie-friendly swashbuckling corp ("weflyrifters" in-game channel). Join today! www.rifterlings.com

Accidentally The Whole Frigate (blog) - Learning how to pew pew, one loss at a time - www.thewholefrigate.com
Northern Associates.
#20 Posted: 2012.02.07 21:43
wiLik wrote:
Dusty Meg wrote:
Petrus Blackshell wrote:

Then please explain.... thisBig smile

With this

I am using Firefox 10.0, so thats problaly the thing. Why are you not even using an updated browser though?
Creater of the EVE animated influence map http://www.youtube.com/user/DustMityEVE
2 Pages12Next page