EVE General Discussion

^ Back to top

Topic is locked indefinitely.

2 Pages12Next page

Is this the greatest game known to man ever?

Author
#1 Posted: 2012.02.22 01:43
Sounds like a joke but really it's a serious question.

Never has there been a game of so many levels, and so many complexeties, a game that mirrors real life so closely, a game with so many players playing directly against each other.

WOW wins the metric for most players ever that isn't the point.

EVE is the greatest game of all time

[Discuss]

YOU MUST THINK FIRST....

"I sit with the broken angels clutching at straws and nursing our scars.." - Marillion

The wise man watches the rise and fall of fools from afar
Amarr Empire
#2 Posted: 2012.02.22 01:47  |  Edited by: Corina Jarr
I don't know. Tough question. For me at least. There are so many other games that I like way more than EVE... till I finish the story. Then its back to EVE.

EDIT: atm though it is highly annoying as something messed up last time I logged out and now the game won't start (not even an error message). Oh well. I'm sure it'll work eventually.
Mordus Angels
#3 Posted: 2012.02.22 01:49
Greatest game so far. I hope the future proves capable of besting it.
#4 Posted: 2012.02.22 01:49
This is not The Greatest Game in the World, no.
This is just a tribute.

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the ho's and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!' and I'll look down, and whisper 'Hodor'.
#5 Posted: 2012.02.22 01:49  |  Edited by: Caldari Citizen 786478786
Not by a long shot.

Also,

Professor Alphane wrote:
a game that mirrors real life so closely

WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING AND WHY ARENT YOU SHARING?
Gallente Federation
#6 Posted: 2012.02.22 01:51
Professor Alphane wrote:
Sounds like a joke but really it's a serious question.

Never has there been a game of so many levels, and so many complexeties, a game that mirrors real life so closely, a game with so many players playing directly against each other.

WOW wins the metric for most players ever that isn't the point.

EVE is the greatest game of all time

[Discuss]

It's fair to say that it's the greatest sandbox MMORPG around at the moment, but greatest game ever? Nah. The greatest game of all time ever is of course System Shock (1, although 2 was pretty good too Big smile )
The G0dfathers
#7 Posted: 2012.02.22 01:51
No, I think strip poker takes that honor. Unless it's with your sister. Then it might be either really really creepy or a redneck family game night.
"If."
Fidelas Constans
#8 Posted: 2012.02.22 01:54
Doc Fury wrote:
This is not The Greatest Game in the World, no.
This is just a tribute.

You are the mystical-eyed virgin and your ROCKING!
Minmatar Republic
#9 Posted: 2012.02.22 01:54
TETRIS
#10 Posted: 2012.02.22 01:59
Some funny replies there, especially the redneck thing What? that tickled me Big smile

I think people have failed to understand my premise though, on reflection I didn't make myself entirely clear.

Game as in Game

Not as in Computer Game

From like chess to monopoly to complex tabletop battles to the sandbox sort of progresion.

Game in it's basic form, a play area, pieces and rules how it's advanced across time and where it is today.

YOU MUST THINK FIRST....

"I sit with the broken angels clutching at straws and nursing our scars.." - Marillion

Minmatar Republic
#11 Posted: 2012.02.22 02:05
Golden Eye is the best, EVE come close tho.
#12 Posted: 2012.02.22 02:07
I am a fan of depth in a game. The day I first loaded up Eve Online I knew I would be finally saying farewell to Sid Meier after a previous 10 year affair.
Minmatar Republic
#13 Posted: 2012.02.22 02:09
Professor Alphane wrote:
Some funny replies there, especially the redneck thing What? that tickled me Big smile

I think people have failed to understand my premise though, on reflection I didn't make myself entirely clear.

Game as in Game

Not as in Computer Game

From like chess to monopoly to complex tabletop battles to the sandbox sort of progresion.

Game in it's basic form, a play area, pieces and rules how it's advanced across time and where it is today.

I see, well

It is quite complex thing, so i think i ll pass on opportunity to judge/form an opinion about such.
#14 Posted: 2012.02.22 02:12
Professor Alphane wrote:
Game as in Game

In that case definitely no. Even a mediocre table-top RP game is richer than EVE for me with more choices, more consequences and more interaction. And if you have a good GM there is just ... it. Wow.
#15 Posted: 2012.02.22 02:16
Last time I played D&D the GM was so terrible I walked out after about 30 minutes.
Gallente Federation
#16 Posted: 2012.02.22 02:28
No, this is not five card draw.

I am not Prencleeve Grothsmore.
#17 Posted: 2012.02.22 02:31  |  Edited by: Professor Alphane
Ai Shun wrote:
Professor Alphane wrote:
Game as in Game

In that case definitely no. Even a mediocre table-top RP game is richer than EVE for me with more choices, more consequences and more interaction. And if you have a good GM there is just ... it. Wow.

Intersting point, worth debating.

My intial impressions of a comaprison would be.

Similar to a sanbox in as far as the playspace and pieces are now virtual or imaginary

There's a lot in common between them I think the defining diffrence would be the 'GM' whether that be a human mind or an AI

Both have there advantages and disadvantages no way would a human be able to interact realtime with 50,000 people or modal such a complex or intracate market and industrial system or monitor the thousands of combats occuring.

On the flipside the AI is just that 'Artificial' it has non of the responsivenes of a human being, it won't take into account your devious plans and adapt the world around them.

Perhaps A better way forward would be more hands on control by CCP actually GM the game, host player run events (I've been lucky enough to see a couple in lotro and they are defenitly my most precious screenies) . Allow us the players, As massive pressure groups, playing created missions in game, actually have a hand in writing the story of new eden.

YOU MUST THINK FIRST....

#18 Posted: 2012.02.22 02:31
You and EvE need to get a room...
☻/
/▌
/ \ This is Bob, post him into your forum sig and help him conquer the forums.
#19 Posted: 2012.02.22 02:35
Pod Potato wrote:
You and EvE need to get a room...

I'm working on it Blink

YOU MUST THINK FIRST....

Late Night Alliance
#20 Posted: 2012.02.22 02:43
EVE has ruined every other MMORPG for me, and I mean that in a good way. EVE is by far the best (not the most polished) game for the PC (i'd say full stop, but I have never done table-top or any thing like that, so who am I to say). Even games I've been looking forward to for years (i.e SWTOR) fell flat on their face because it just cant hold a candle to the interaction you get from EVE. No other game out there can you spend hours theory crafting off-line only to try and put it into practice some time in the future. I love it!
2 Pages12Next page