EVE General Discussion

 
^ Back to top

Topic is locked indefinitely.

13 Pages123Next pageLast page
 

Is this Fanfest public behavior actually okay? Are there any limits?

Author
#1 Posted: 2012.03.25 14:30
See the thread Fanfest Alliance Panel Disgusting.

See in particular post #68, in which someone's in game eve mail is posted to the forums.

If this is what these people actually did and said at the panel, this is so totally disgusting and sadistic that it can't be accepted.

I don't care about what happens in the game, since I can't do anything about it.

Holding someone up to PUBLIC ridicule in real life and following it up by encouraging people to continue this behavior on the forums, by posting the guy's eve mail to the forums, is not acceptable behavior by a human being.

You should read the thread if you want background. The quick version is that this person was apparently very rich in the tears that these plays love so much. He is referred to as depressed and suicidal. If the thread is accurate, our CSM chair encouraged people to get in touch with this guy and harass him further and gave out his name at the panel. Someone followed this up by posting one of the guy's eve mails to the forums.

These are major eve players actually encouraging people to cause a play psychological harm, and in a PUBLIC context outside the game. This cannot be accepted.
Fatal Ascension
#2 Posted: 2012.03.25 14:34
Yes it can.
www.minerbumping.com - because your tears are delicious
#3 Posted: 2012.03.25 14:36
Kids will be kids.

I'd be more concerned if the behaviour continued outside the halls of fanfest whilst wearing CCP embossed garments perhaps?
Naquatech Syndicate
#4 Posted: 2012.03.25 14:39
Some of them may not be emotionaly stable Roll
#5 Posted: 2012.03.25 15:28
If the harassment did continue and the guy ended up killing himself CCP can be held liable if it were a American company. Not sure about the fact that it's a foreign company.
Gallente Federation
#6 Posted: 2012.03.25 15:40
Christopher Merchentson wrote:
American


foreign company



you americans, so funny.
#7 Posted: 2012.03.25 15:41
Forums hosts are considered 'publishing companies' under most countries laws , the same rules would apply as a public letter published in a newspaper.

Also this is one of the main reasons moderation is compulsory as publishing obsence images or selling of illegal goods/services are not looked upon kindly.

YOU MUST THINK FIRST....

"I sit with the broken angels clutching at straws and nursing our scars.." - Marillion

The wise man watches the rise and fall of fools from afar
#8 Posted: 2012.03.25 15:47  |  Edited by: Roll Sizzle Beef
It would be a bit of a Darwin award letting yourself play a game that can ultimately lead to psychological harm when you cant handle loss of any kind.
Its not in the same vein as torment in a school setting as its public and education is necessary. Not all family's can handle home or private classes to special needs cases. And people are set to decency standards.
Whereas this is a self inflicted game. A pencil company cant be held liable for a mentally unstable person taking their product and shoving it in their eye. Unless it was perhaps labeled "To shove in your eyes #2"
Goonswarm Federation
#9 Posted: 2012.03.25 16:01
Ban Bindy wrote:
See the thread Fanfest Alliance Panel Disgusting.

See in particular post #68, in which someone's in game eve mail is posted to the forums.

If this is what these people actually did and said at the panel, this is so totally disgusting and sadistic that it can't be accepted.

I don't care about what happens in the game, since I can't do anything about it.

Holding someone up to PUBLIC ridicule in real life and following it up by encouraging people to continue this behavior on the forums, by posting the guy's eve mail to the forums, is not acceptable behavior by a human being.

You should read the thread if you want background. The quick version is that this person was apparently very rich in the tears that these plays love so much. He is referred to as depressed and suicidal. If the thread is accurate, our CSM chair encouraged people to get in touch with this guy and harass him further and gave out his name at the panel. Someone followed this up by posting one of the guy's eve mails to the forums.

These are major eve players actually encouraging people to cause a play psychological harm, and in a PUBLIC context outside the game. This cannot be accepted.


deal with it~
~hi~
#10 Posted: 2012.03.25 16:06
Ahh ever the diplomat hey M Roll

YOU MUST THINK FIRST....

"I sit with the broken angels clutching at straws and nursing our scars.." - Marillion

The wise man watches the rise and fall of fools from afar
Goonswarm Federation
#11 Posted: 2012.03.25 16:07
It's pretty funny that you have people watching a TV stream who have never been to Fanfest trying to wag their fingers and cluck as if this is Hello Kitty Online. This is EVE, and Fanfest is a drunken, shambolic revel - it always has been, if you've been to one.

Crying about people being drunk and partying at Fanfest is like crying about suicide ganking and nonconsensual PvP in the client itself.
~hi~
#12 Posted: 2012.03.25 16:08
The Mittani wrote:
deal with it~



Is that all the great Mittani could come up with?


Such a let down, would have expected more. I know, 'deal with it'.
The Devil's Tattoo
#13 Posted: 2012.03.25 16:08
The Mittani wrote:
deal with it~


Internet badman alert
Dodixie > Hek
#14 Posted: 2012.03.25 16:11
The Mittani wrote:
deal with it~


Eloquent, as always.

You heard the man, OP!! Snap to it!
#15 Posted: 2012.03.25 16:19
The Mittani wrote:
suicide ganking and nonconsensual PvP in the client itself.



You mean the stuff CCP are taking action against apparently ?

YOU MUST THINK FIRST....

"I sit with the broken angels clutching at straws and nursing our scars.." - Marillion

The wise man watches the rise and fall of fools from afar
#16 Posted: 2012.03.25 16:23
Why
So
Serious?
#17 Posted: 2012.03.25 16:23  |  Edited by: Kara Roideater
The Mittani wrote:


Crying about people being drunk and partying at Fanfest is like crying about suicide ganking and nonconsensual PvP in the client itself.


I don't believe that this is what he is complaining about at all. Try reading the OP. It appears that his issue is with public calls to harass someone who has self-identified as a suicide risk. Whether that happened or not is a different issue. Your 'Deal with it' suggests that you accept it did, although, since its not clear that you actually comprehended the OP ....

Edit - Having found the video, I can confirm it did indeed happen. The transcript, after identifying and mocking the guy for a few minutes the discussion turned to other subjects. Then, at the end of the panel, The Mittani added:

Quote:
Incidentally, if you want to make the guy kill himself, his name is The Wis - it's T-H-E space W-I-S , not with a Z - The Wis. He has his own corp. Find him.
#18 Posted: 2012.03.25 16:33
Kara Roideater wrote:
, since its not clear that you actually comprehended



QFT

Couldn't of summed up Fuhrer M better myself

YOU MUST THINK FIRST....

"I sit with the broken angels clutching at straws and nursing our scars.." - Marillion

The wise man watches the rise and fall of fools from afar
#19 Posted: 2012.03.25 16:45
Professor Alphane wrote:
The Mittani wrote:
suicide ganking and nonconsensual PvP in the client itself.
You mean the stuff CCP are taking action against apparently ?
No, you must be thinking of something quite different.

CCP is further codifying ganking and nonconsensual PvP, because it's a core part of the game. Hell, they're making it an explicit part of the marketing campaign now. You might have missed it but in the public address to the world about what CCP does, the goon's shenanigans were singled out as “this is EVE — it is awesome”. So yeah… no. They're not taking action against that in any way whatsoever.

…much like how people being drunk and partying is codified into the Fanfest, and they're not going to take action against that either.
“If you're not willing to fight for what you have in ≡v≡ you don't deserve it, and you will lose it.”

Get a good start: Newbie skill plan 2.1.
Minmatar Republic
#20 Posted: 2012.03.25 16:49
Shut the **** up and go back to WoW you big baby.
13 Pages123Next pageLast page
Forum Jump