EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
21 Pages123Next pageLast page
 

Looks like we're winning the war: Highsec mining drops by HALF!

Author
CODE.
#1 - 2012-05-12 01:35:11 UTC
According to the official statistics released this week by CCP Diagoras, the volume of ore mined in highsec has dropped by a staggering 45.53%. Nearly half of all highsec mining has been wiped out, thanks to coordinated anti-highsec mining operations (most prominently Hulkageddon V), and the extraordinary shift in public opinion about highsec mining. You can read CCP Diagoras' tweet here.

If we were to believe the conventional wisdom among the carebears and the pseudointellectuals of Market Discussions, highsec mining is too vast and pervasive to stop. Prior to the latest round of Hulkageddon, they confidently predicted that gankers wouldn't put a dent in the amount of mining. They were wrong.

Miners have been slaughtered by the thousands, but that's not all. Anti-mining operations are primarily instruments of terror. While thousands of miners died, more importantly, thousands more miners have given up mining. Ordinarily we wouldn't be able to quantify the effect of the latter, and the carebear apologists would be free, in their ignorance, to keep crowing about the absence of any impact. But thanks to CCP Diagoras, we can make our enemies eat crow instead.

I know there are some skeptics who will grasp to the straws of any alternate explanation, so I'll provide a preemptive debunking service here. The mining of ore in highsec did not decline during the measured period due to a drop in botting. Over the relevant period, there was no mass-banning of bots by CCP. Quite the opposite, in fact. My own observations, corroborated by the dedicated bot-watchers in Crime & Punishment, have actually seen a proportionate increase in botting of late; a new network of easily-identified botters is crawling over the belts in highsec as we speak.

What's happened is that the human miners, unlike the bots, became aware of Hulkageddon and have ceased mining. When humans abandoned the belts, the bots became a larger percentage of those left behind, and they stand out more. For example, a new type of ice-mining bot, very common today, flocks in the ice fields. They use an identical ship name scheme (a space before the ship name, easy to spot groups of them using your D-scanner), and they warp out one-by-one if you lock them. I have cleared out entire ice fields with a frigate just by locking up the bots, because there are no humans left mining there.

The drop in mining has been disproportionately--perhaps entirely--caused by a decline in the number of human miners, not bots. Thus, the decrease in mining among humans in highsec is greater than 45.53%. We don't have official statistics on what percentage of the total mining in highsec is done by bots, but by all accounts it's a hefty amount. Therefore, this is the bottom line:

The majority of human highsec miners have quit mining.

Two weeks ago, I wrote a Manifesto II in which I called upon the people of EVE to put a stop to all mining in highsec. Most people probably thought it was crazy to even consider such a thing possible. Not anymore. We're already more than halfway there!

Granted, some miners will return to the belts once Hulkageddon ends. But many will not. Having been forced to adapt and try out other professions, and having found them more rewarding, they will leave mining for good. As the miners' numbers diminish, so does their power and influence over CCP.

As for the gankers, their numbers are growing rapidly. Each day, more and more pilots are getting hooked on ganking. They see the miners for what they are: targets. And they will prey upon an ever-decreasing number of carebears.

In light of these facts, we must now realize that the extinction of highsec mining is not just an impossible dream anymore. It's something that we, as the EVE community, can realistically accomplish together. If you have not yet committed to the fight against the carebears, then I encourage you to join us now. This is your chance. Kill some highsec miners before they're all gone!

- 315
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2012-05-12 01:39:43 UTC
inb4 the same people who think pvp is the entire game complains that a cruiser costs as much as a plex.
Darth Tickles
#3 - 2012-05-12 01:44:27 UTC
I'm not saying it was just bots, but your argument as to why it wasn't is farcical.
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-05-12 01:48:48 UTC
Now, not for anything, but...
A mackinaw WOULD warp out if locked. Locking makes a very annoying sound, it's hard to miss.
Warping in doesn't.

Hardly applies to same-name things and warping one by one from a single pack, but still.
#5 - 2012-05-12 01:52:21 UTC
I came here expecting 10+ pages of literature, have to admit I still only read the first sentence.

I recall one night in a nightclub called the matrix, there I was... Mother of god there I am! Holy f**k.

#6 - 2012-05-12 01:52:47 UTC
James 315 wrote:
As the miners' numbers diminish, so does their power and influence over CCP.


Yes, their huge sway over CCP to never touch the actual mechanics of mining over 9 years.
Adjusting lame highsec drops that added way too much low materials in reprocessing
Adjusting lame drone area that made no sense in how minerals should be added to game... without adjusting the mechanics of mining to make it slightly interesting in compensation.

Expecting us to wait for future mechanics still on paper.
Miners need to free CCP right?
Karn Dulake
#7 - 2012-05-12 01:54:22 UTC
I once sat next to a miner in my tengu and it warped out. When i told him that i was not going to gank him in my ship he said that he could not be sure.

Which adds evidence that miners have the least knowledge about this game than any other profession.
I dont normally troll, but when i do i do it on General Discussion.
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-05-12 01:55:22 UTC
And when the wolves destabilize their food chain by eating all the prey, then what?
"If."
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2012-05-12 01:55:35 UTC
You are an idiot if you think that mineral inputs droppng 50% is a good thing...

Where do you think that every ship in eve came from? Every ship that dies in hulkaggedon, the miner & the ganker, costs minerals to build. Now, miners in high-sec bring in the largest total of minerals in eve, and you think this is a good thing? You think miners will want to go into low-sec or 0.0 when all of this is going on?

Yeah, lets see you in a few weeks when ships begin to increase in price 10-fold (which means tens of millions of isk for a single frigate!)

And im not even talking about the destroyed modules prices...

#10 - 2012-05-12 02:00:08 UTC
Karn Dulake wrote:
I once sat next to a miner in my tengu and it warped out. When i told him that i was not going to gank him in my ship he said that he could not be sure.

Which adds evidence that miners have the least knowledge about this game than any other profession.


And you couldn't possibly be a warp in point?
Torneach
#11 - 2012-05-12 02:02:10 UTC
I too enjoy thinking of the prospect of paying over 100 million ISK for a tier 1 battleship.

In fact, it makes me positively giddy.

Roll
#12 - 2012-05-12 02:02:17 UTC
I'm confused about the point. Is there a reason for wanting to remove mining from highsec, or is this just a "let's see if we can" kind of thing?
Pandemic Horde
#13 - 2012-05-12 02:02:26 UTC
I hope this is true. For no other reason that it would be wonderful to experience an adventurous change in the market even if for a short while. Let us see what industry is made of.

Ferox #1

Triumvirate.
#14 - 2012-05-12 02:02:31 UTC  |  Edited by: No More Heroes
These are great days we're living, bros. We are jolly green goons, walking New Eden with guns. These people we wasted here this month are the finest miners we will ever know. After we rotate back to Deklein, we're gonna miss not having anyone around that's worth shooting.

.

Torneach
#15 - 2012-05-12 02:03:20 UTC
Kietay Ayari wrote:
I hope this is true. For no other reason that it would be wonderful to experience an adventurous change in the market even if for a short while. Let us see what industry is made of.


Just gotta hope the pyramid doesn't collapse with a part of its base missing.
#16 - 2012-05-12 02:05:02 UTC
James 315 wrote:


The drop in mining has been disproportionately--perhaps entirely--caused by a decline in the number of human miners, not bots. Thus, the decrease in mining among humans in highsec is greater than 45.53%. We don't have official statistics on what percentage of the total mining in highsec is done by bots, but by all accounts it's a hefty amount. Therefore, this is the bottom line:


75% of all statistics are made up, including this one, and yours. You have no idea of the make-up of bot miners to actual miners, you likely don't even have something that could be considered a ballpark figure. So your conclusion that it is a "hefty amount" is just a hefty amount of fecal matter.

James 315 wrote:
Granted, some miners will return to the belts once Hulkageddon ends. But many will not. Having been forced to adapt and try out other professions, and having found them more rewarding, they will leave mining for good. As the miners' numbers diminish, so does their power and influence over CCP.


Fascinating, you have the ability to read the minds of every miner out there AND predict the future. You sir are indeed a GOD. Oh wait, no you aren't.

James 315 wrote:
As for the gankers, their numbers are growing rapidly. Each day, more and more pilots are getting hooked on ganking. They see the miners for what they are: targets. And they will prey upon an ever-decreasing number of carebears.


Whilst it is commendable that miners are trying ganking, your appear to have missed one vital thing. If no-one is mining, and the bots are all banned, then how do you expect to pay for your ships in a years time when a cruiser costs 600mil? Or when you have to go out mining to build it....oh wait, you can't do that because you will just get blown up.

James 315 wrote:
In light of these facts, we must now realize that the extinction of highsec mining is not just an impossible dream anymore. It's something that we, as the EVE community, can realistically accomplish together. If you have not yet committed to the fight against the carebears, then I encourage you to join us now. This is your chance. Kill some highsec miners before they're all gone!

- 315


Your ramblings are reminiscent of various leaders throughout history who, for one reason or another, decided that their whimsical fantasies and delusional rhetoric actually meant anything. I wonder what happened to them........?

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." Elim Garak.

Goonswarm Federation
#17 - 2012-05-12 02:05:13 UTC
look at all the miners thinking that there isn't a huge amount of stockpiled minerals

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Torneach
#18 - 2012-05-12 02:07:02 UTC
Andski wrote:
look at all the miners thinking that there isn't a huge amount of stockpiled minerals


Yeah, cause stockpiles are automatically self-replenishing. Roll
Goonswarm Federation
#19 - 2012-05-12 02:09:01 UTC
Torneach wrote:
Andski wrote:
look at all the miners thinking that there isn't a huge amount of stockpiled minerals


Yeah, cause stockpiles are automatically self-replenishing. Roll


please continue to overestimate your value to the health of the economy

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

#20 - 2012-05-12 02:11:43 UTC
Man its taking a huge bite out of the Tech demand since Hulk demand went through the floor too. What 2n'd to tech usage. Jump freighters? THey really need to come down anyhow. I think you guys are doing to Goons what the Goons did to Jita, Really burning down the house.

Talking Heads

Meta34me

Corp and Alliance details hidden to protect the innocent.

21 Pages123Next pageLast page
Forum Jump