Features & Ideas Discussion

^ Back to top

Topic is locked indefinitely.

2 Pages12Next page

Absurd Gallente Logistics Station Ring Rotation Speed and Breach of Physics

Author
Margin of Silence
#1 Posted: 2012.08.02 03:28
I've found a bit of a problem with the design of the Gallente Logistics Station, such as the one in 5ZXX-K.

The long axis of the station is 71km. The diameter of the rings look to be roughly half of that, so say 35km. The radius of the ring, therefore, is roughly 15-18km.

The station rings rotate at 2/3 RPM, with a rotation cycle of exactly a minute and a half.

Centrifugal acceleration is calculated through w^2*r, where w is the angular speed of the object, and r is the radius.

Centrifugal force, the fictitious force pushing outwards from the center of rotation that is what causes the apparent gravity on rotating rings, is the equal opposite of the centrifugal acceleration.

The centrifugal force of this station, therefore, lies at roughly 7 - 8 G (72-83m/s2).

Any human would black out much before that, and supposedly people are walking around and living on these?

Please help me point out to CCP this heinous flaunting of physics.
Minmatar Republic
#2 Posted: 2012.08.02 03:33
+1

The frail constitution of the general Gallente population would indeed not be at all condusive to such gravity.

Is the outer ring perhaps limited only to extreme pod pilots with all Navi to 5 and odd strength training experiments..
I Whip My Slaves Back and Forth
#3 Posted: 2012.08.02 04:19
pfft next you'll be telling me that the force of my engines engines causes acceleration rather than velocity
NightSong Directorate
#4 Posted: 2012.08.02 04:30
Like the rebels they are CCP believes all rules, even the rules of physics are meant to be broken.
Spaceship Samurai
#5 Posted: 2012.08.02 04:40
This is literally causing millions of deaths in Africa per year.
Caldari State
#6 Posted: 2012.08.02 04:47
But travelling multiple times the speed of light is ok, maybe the same hidden technology is applied .
The Harlequin's
#7 Posted: 2012.08.02 04:52
I want to know where the gravity in my nice, perfectly still Caldari stations are coming from. But every time I get out to walk around there I am stuck to the floor.
Amarr Empire
#8 Posted: 2012.08.02 05:06
We have FTL travel, and perfect cloaks. I think a little antigrav is rather simple.
Margin of Silence
#9 Posted: 2012.08.02 05:26
Corina Jarr wrote:
We have FTL travel, and perfect cloaks. I think a little antigrav is rather simple.

Sure, antigrav is simple enough.

But then why spin the rings at all? If we have artificial gravity, just use that instead.
#10 Posted: 2012.08.02 05:33
Jesus Rambo wrote:
Corina Jarr wrote:

Sure, antigrav is simple enough.

But then why spin the rings at all?

For Science.
#11 Posted: 2012.08.02 06:07
I think you been ship spinning to much.
Why do I have this sig? I don't smoke.
Spaceship Samurai
#12 Posted: 2012.08.02 06:09
Jesus Rambo wrote:
I've found a bit of a problem with the design of the Gallente Logistics Station, such as the one in 5ZXX-K.

The long axis of the station is 71km. The diameter of the rings look to be roughly half of that, so say 35km. The radius of the ring, therefore, is roughly 15-18km.

The station rings rotate at 2/3 RPM, with a rotation cycle of exactly a minute and a half.

Centrifugal acceleration is calculated through w^2*r, where w is the angular speed of the object, and r is the radius.

Centrifugal force, the fictitious force pushing outwards from the center of rotation that is what causes the apparent gravity on rotating rings, is the equal opposite of the centrifugal acceleration.

The centrifugal force of this station, therefore, lies at roughly 7 - 8 G (72-83m/s2).

Any human would black out much before that, and supposedly people are walking around and living on these?

Haven't you ever heard of an inertial compensator?
Margin of Silence
#13 Posted: 2012.08.02 06:13
Ashen Darksabre wrote:
Jesus Rambo wrote:

Haven't you ever heard of an inertial compensator?

Like I said above - sure, we theoretically have the technology. But why spin it up in the first place, if you're just going to use extra energy to cancel out the effect anyways?
Gallente Federation
#14 Posted: 2012.08.02 06:20
The Harlequin's
#15 Posted: 2012.08.02 06:21
So the dealership can make a profit on the optional bells and whistles.
#16 Posted: 2012.08.02 06:26
The rotation is the Gallentean method of mixing the Bio-Mimetic Gel from which clones are made. It must be kept in a constant state of churning and never allowed to settle. The Gallenteans figured that the easiest way to do that on a large scale would be to rotate the entire section of the station and use inertial dampers for the populated compartments.
Nulli Secunda
#17 Posted: 2012.08.02 06:44
Probably the same reason why all of the sudden, all titans in the game were inexplicably unable to activate their doomsdays on subcapitals.
Amarr Empire
#18 Posted: 2012.08.02 11:16
And accelerating to 3 AUs? how much G is that? Lol
Goonswarm Federation
#19 Posted: 2012.08.02 11:23
I think that's where they installed their scientific experiments to study the effects of prolonged exposure to 7-8g's of gravity on things.
Pandemic Legion
#20 Posted: 2012.08.02 11:24
Shut up and take my Likes.
2 Pages12Next page