EVE General Discussion

^ Back to top

Topic is locked indefinitely.

7 Pages123Next pageLast page

EVE Fiction Contest - Extreme graphics card, EON subscriptions & 26 bil isk in prizes!

Jump to first DEV post
Author
#1 Posted: 2012.10.24 17:43  |  Edited by: Telegram Sam
Edit: The entry submission period has ended. We're now in the entries judging phase.

Pod and Planet Fiction Content

We've got some talented writers in EVE who deserve a good fiction contest and a place to post their works. And thanks to some outrageously generous sponsors, we've got a contest that should motivate people to stop messing around and get their stories written. Check out these prizes:

-An EVGA Superclocked GeForce GTX670 graphics card, courtesy of CCP.
Features include :
> 4GB GDDR5
> PCI Express 3.0
> 2x DVI outputs
> 1x HDMI output
> 1x Displayport output
> DirectX 11 compatible
I'll let you look up the specs and value on that one yourself...!

-Two year-long subscriptions to EON, courtesy of EON magazine.

-An ISK prize pool totalling 20 billion, courtesy of Somer Blink and Eve Online Hold'Em.
and

-Twelve months of PLEX, courtesy of EOH Tom.
Not too bad, eh...? And in addition, very good entries may be considered for publication in EON.

OK, so the contest: There will be two categories. The main category is for works based on the New Eden lore and canon, similar to the EVE Chronicles stories. Works in this category should be faithful to the EVE canon and shouldn't mention actual in-game player characters, corps or alliances. The bigger prizes are in this category. No doubt we'll get some amazingly imaginative and well-crafted stories here. Word count for entries in this category is 1,400-5,000 words.

The second category is for works about actual in-game player characters or in-game happenings. If you want to write a story about your corp and its members, a stroke of pvp tactical brilliance, a corp infiltration, a hulkageddon encounter, etc., it should go here. Have fun and tell your true, partly-true, or entirely made-up tales from the world of EVE gameplay. Edit: Word count for this category is 600-5,000 words. We're allowing shorter, more free-form works in the in-game events category.

More detailed guidelines for each category are on the contest page.

Entries have to be new works, not posted or published elsewhere prior to today (Oct. 24). The contest will run until December 2, 2012, then judging will be by CCP Eterne, CCP Falcon, and myself. Please see the contest page for the rules, how to submit your work, and the list of prizes for each category. Any questions, just post them in this thread or EVE mail me.

Good luck writers! Get on it!

Update: Works we've received are listed on this contest entries page. The page also has links to writers' earlier (non-competition) works. Mail me if you want us to post a link to one of your earlier works.
Caldari State
#2 Posted: 2012.10.24 17:52
I flew in a frigate, I met a guristas commander, a strange cruiser uncloaked and something got onto my ship - it was around me, everywhere, my shields disappeared, my hull breached and my frigate melted. I remember loosing all my energy and shield boosting ability.

When I woke up for the first time in a medical facility, all I could remember 'Acolyte' - oh my god, how did I get into station and what is that acolyte all about?

True story - 7 days into EvE.
C C P Alliance
#3 Posted: 2012.10.24 18:03
I can confirm that the contest is legit. Also, please keep this thread clean of any trolling. I won't much approve of it.
EVE Online/DUST 514 Community Representative ※ EVE Illuminati ※ Fiction Adept

@CCP_Eterne ※ @EVE_LiveEvents
Minmatar Republic
#4 Posted: 2012.10.24 18:07
This should be stickied somewhere.
“Sandbox” does not mean that you will succeed at anything you attempt; it means you can attempt anything you want to succeed at. One of the largest obstacles in the way of your success is other players.
Ivy League
#5 Posted: 2012.10.24 18:11
Awesome. Hope I can come up with something worthy and interesting. :)
Looking for more thoughts? Follow me on Twitter.
Get Off My Lawn
#6 Posted: 2012.10.24 18:15
CCP Eterne wrote:
Also, please keep this thread clean of any trolling. I won't much approve of it.

Does this apply to other Devs and GM's as well????
"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit"
Suddenly Spaceships.
#7 Posted: 2012.10.24 18:21
Looks good, Wish I had talented. Looking forward to some work-time reading. Good luck.
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#8 Posted: 2012.10.24 18:27  |  Edited by: Zimmy Zeta
Shouldn't we...you...sticky this thread?
I'm just going to walk the Earth. You know, like Caine in Kung Fu: walk from place to place, meet people, get into adventures and die of autoerotic asphyxation in a sleazy Thai hotel room.
#9 Posted: 2012.10.24 18:31
Pretty awesome contest, looking forward to seeing some of the submissions Cool

CCP Falcon   ||   EVE Community Manager   ||   EVE Illuminati

@CCP_Falcon   ||   @EVE_LiveEvents
Dystopia Alliance
#10 Posted: 2012.10.24 18:50
I was wondering if my story series would count. I wrote a series for Eve-Pirate awhile ago, fiction, set in the Eve Universe, but it was silly and definatly not canon. Would this be acceptable to enter?
#11 Posted: 2012.10.24 18:55
Big win to CCP and the EON guys. This is a great contest and I can't wait to see the submissions.

Will we get to see at least the runners up as well as the winners? Or perhaps all of the submissions? What can I say, I'm a sucker for great stories.

Can't wait to see who wins and read them via my recently re-upped EON sub.
"The world as we know it came about through an anomaly (anomou)"
(The Gospel of Philip, 1-5) 
#12 Posted: 2012.10.24 18:56
Kumq uat wrote:
I was wondering if my story series would count. I wrote a series for Eve-Pirate awhile ago, fiction, set in the Eve Universe, but it was silly and definatly not canon. Would this be acceptable to enter?

I would imagine it can't have been previously published in print or online in order to be eligible.
"The world as we know it came about through an anomaly (anomou)"
(The Gospel of Philip, 1-5) 
Gallente Federation
#13 Posted: 2012.10.24 18:57  |  Edited by: Tali Ambraelle
Only 5000 words??? Eek...that's one hell of a challenge.

Edit: I'm not trolling about the word limit. Seriously that's less than a post...I don't suppose that word limit might change at all? Shocked
#14 Posted: 2012.10.24 19:11
SQUEE.
#15 Posted: 2012.10.24 19:20
J Kunjeh wrote:
Big win to CCP and the EON guys. This is a great contest and I can't wait to see the submissions.

Will we get to see at least the runners up as well as the winners? Or perhaps all of the submissions? What can I say, I'm a sucker for great stories.

Can't wait to see who wins and read them via my recently re-upped EON sub.

All of the stories will be available for reading. That's part of the point, to give people a place to share their work. Once the stories start coming, we'll post links to them on the contest page.
Drunk 'n' Disorderly
#16 Posted: 2012.10.24 19:24
CCP Eterne wrote:
I can confirm that the contest is legit. Also, please keep this thread clean of any trolling. I won't much approve of it.

CCP Eterne - I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MUTHAPODDIN TROLLS ON THIS MUTHAPODDIN FORUM

good stuff :P

Oh and I might write some sort of short story for this, could be very interesting!
Dystopia Alliance
#17 Posted: 2012.10.24 19:26
J Kunjeh wrote:
Kumq uat wrote:

I would imagine it can't have been previously published in print or online in order to be eligible.

It was just a blog post and not officially a CCP thing. I don't see why it shouldn't be as I did create it even if it was based on the old Titan DD's that were AOE
Surely You're Joking
#18 Posted: 2012.10.24 19:33  |  Edited by: Loed Kane
wish i could join in on this contest but my spelling and Grammar suckkks
Im looking for a corp! click here to see what im looking for! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=279841 Follow me on Twitter @loedkanex
#19 Posted: 2012.10.24 19:44
Huhuhuhuhu !

Does this means you're defying me to overclock some "thing" and make it so there's no price able to pay the misery I can put on your graphics?

I'm awful with software, it's a nerd to nerd of nerds thing, but hardware I think I can play the bet.
brb
#20 Posted: 2012.10.24 19:45  |  Edited by: Romvex
so there is no violating the canon, but what about things the canon doesn't tell us much or anything about? what about things involving the more mysterious aspects of the fiction? could we "fill in the gaps" per say? i was thinking about writing about the Feythabolis, which is some thing we know almost nothing about.
(ಠ_ಠ) ~ Post With Your Main  ~ (ಠ_ಠ)
7 Pages123Next pageLast page