EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
7 PagesPrevious page1234Next pageLast page

EVE Fiction Contest - Extreme graphics card, EON subscriptions & 26 bil isk in prizes!

First post
Author
Twoso
#21 - 2012-10-24 19:47:07 UTC
The contest rules say "must be 1400-1500 words." Does this mean "no more than"? Or "no more than and no less than"? Silly question, but I just want to confirm.
#22 - 2012-10-24 20:01:40 UTC
Kumq uat wrote:
I was wondering if my story series would count. I wrote a series for Eve-Pirate awhile ago, fiction, set in the Eve Universe, but it was silly and definatly not canon. Would this be acceptable to enter?

Sorry, the entry needs to be a new work. It could be another story in your series, though.
By the way, if the new story is non-canon, there's a category for that.
#23 - 2012-10-24 20:07:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Telegram Sam
Twoso wrote:
The contest rules say "must be 1400-1500 words." Does this mean "no more than"? Or "no more than and no less than"? Silly question, but I just want to confirm.

The work should be no less than 1,400 words, no more than 5,000 words to be considered in the competition. If it's outside that range, we can link it for everybody to read, but we can't consider it for a prize.
Solyaris Chtonium
#24 - 2012-10-24 20:12:57 UTC
Telegram Sam wrote:
Kumq uat wrote:
I was wondering if my story series would count. I wrote a series for Eve-Pirate awhile ago, fiction, set in the Eve Universe, but it was silly and definatly not canon. Would this be acceptable to enter?

Sorry, the entry needs to be a new work. It could be another story in your series, though.

Can't be bothered. I am working on my own science fiction series currently. Don't see why you can't accept a piece of work I did awhile ago.
#25 - 2012-10-24 20:17:07 UTC
I could sneeze 5000 words! This should be a snap.
#26 - 2012-10-24 20:22:38 UTC
De'Veldrin wrote:
This should be stickied somewhere.

Zimmy Zeta wrote:
Shouldn't we...you...sticky this thread?

The EVE Fiction forum has a stickied thread pointing to this one. Author - Telegram Sam, second post and glue application - CCP Falcon.
#27 - 2012-10-24 20:23:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Telegram Sam
Romvex wrote:
so there is no violating the canon, but what about things the canon doesn't tell us much or anything about? what about things involving the more mysterious aspects of the fiction? could we "fill in the gaps" per say? i was thinking about writing about the Feythabolis, which is some thing we know almost nothing about.

Yes, speculating and filling in the gaps is OK. Seems like it's almost unavoidable. If you say, "a tritanium barstool," you're speculating that trit is a suitable material for barstools. The readers will just have to realize that we're writing fan fiction stories, not creating new canon.
Goonswarm Federation
#28 - 2012-10-24 20:30:40 UTC  |  Edited by: SamuraiJack
:( at not being able to submit my older stories...

However i do a have a new one that is going to be posted soon(tm)

SJ's Chronicles

:edit: fixing link cos it went full ****** :|

SJ's Chronicles - http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2103579/CLS-SamuraiJack

Eve Engineering
#29 - 2012-10-24 20:40:05 UTC
Hmm... I've always wanted to start writing some EVE stories. Maybe this could be the way to do it. Who knows, maybe this would be the time to write up the full backstory for Jull and Riniel.
Amarr Empire
#30 - 2012-10-24 20:40:26 UTC
can we post it to this forum somewhere and just link it ( if the post date is after this date of course.)
Hole Control
#31 - 2012-10-24 21:09:01 UTC
I might just give this a shot for some giggles, been thinking of writing a little short story (a beginning of a bigger one) for quite some time now, perfect excuse to do it!
#32 - 2012-10-24 21:42:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Telegram Sam
Kumq uat wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Kumq uat wrote:

Can't be bothered. I am working on my own science fiction series currently. Don't see why you can't accept a piece of work I did awhile ago.

Sorry mate. The reasons for this:
-Works might be considered for publication in EON, and EON prefers new, unpublished works.
-There's a lot of fan fiction out there, and the contest prizes are pretty big. We can't open the doors to the whole past body of EVE fan fiction. And picking some arbitrary cut-off date in the past would be messy. It would be good for some people, but bad for others. In other words, arbitrary and not really fair.
-The idea is to encourage people to sit down and write new stuff! Smile
#33 - 2012-10-24 21:55:59 UTC
i was writing an entire book on Faction warfare. I don't suppose fiction based on fiction (which could seem timeless) would be accepted?

Maybe submit a chapter or something? Cool

Merc
#34 - 2012-10-24 22:18:12 UTC
Mercfromabove wrote:
i was writing an entire book on Faction warfare. I don't suppose fiction based on fiction (which could seem timeless) would be accepted?

Maybe submit a chapter or something? Cool

Merc

Not sure I follow, Merc. A story about somebody writing fiction? Sound OK. As long as it fits the guidelines on the contest page, should be fine. Maybe send me a mail if you're not sure.
#35 - 2012-10-24 22:37:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Dezolf
Since we are allowed to submit multiple entries, I was wondering if it'd be okay to submit a two-part story (-ish)?
And by that, I don't mean a way of getting around the strict word-limit, but more of, say, a story about whatever, and then a "follow-up" story that, in example, explains and follows the events strictly following the previous story?
Or should each entry be ("strictly") disjunct - as in, not referring to each other?

In case the above was unclear, three examples:
1) Story A takes place YC 50 and story B in YC 110. B starts out by explaining the outlines of A, and has a subject of the effects of A.
2) Story A is about a person in YC 110-115, and story B is about the same person, in YC 120.
3) Story A is about a person in YC 50, and story B is about this persons now-grown son in YC 110. Again, there might be overlaps (such as, if, in story A, the person has a mighty battle or similar which might make the deed known (locally or throughout New Eden)).
Are either allowed?

Is it okay if story B does not refer to things that a reader might not know (provided the reader hasn't read story A beforehand)?

Maybe I'm jumping the horse, since B might not have enough words for recaps. Better safe than sorry, though. (And while it might be better to ask forgiveness than permission, I'm a stickler for contest rules)

As a side note, I find it both hilarious and ingenious that the contest spans november, at the same time as NaNoWriMo.
Aand a follow-up question: If the story submitted to this contest is 1/10th of the story submitted to NaNoWriMo, does this violate the contest rules (NaNoWriMo does not, if I recall correctly, publish the novel)?
#36 - 2012-10-24 22:49:08 UTC
Ok, so i read the pages concerning this and I am a wee-bit confused. The eve official lore part is what is confusing me. Is there a specific topic in eve or can we make up any fictional story to be considered for the graphics card contest.
#37 - 2012-10-24 23:58:37 UTC
usrevenge wrote:
can we post it to this forum somewhere and just link it ( if the post date is after this date of course.)

Yes, it looks like posting your entry the EVE Fiction section will be OK. But please still send me an EVE mail with a link to the post, so we don't miss it.
ISK Six
#38 - 2012-10-25 00:01:08 UTC
Eve Online Hold'Em Poker (EOH) is excited to sponsor this contest.

Feel free to drop by the oldest gaming establishment in Eve. Poker games running 24/7.

www.EOHPoker.com

In Game Channels:

EOH POKER

EOH GAMES

Eve Forum Link
#39 - 2012-10-25 00:16:03 UTC
Dezolf wrote:
Since we are allowed to submit multiple entries, I was wondering if it'd be okay to submit a two-part story (-ish)?
And by that, I don't mean a way of getting around the strict word-limit, but more of, say, a story about whatever, and then a "follow-up" story that, in example, explains and follows the events strictly following the previous story?
Or should each entry be ("strictly") disjunct - as in, not referring to each other?

In case the above was unclear, three examples:
1) Story A takes place YC 50 and story B in YC 110. B starts out by explaining the outlines of A, and has a subject of the effects of A.
2) Story A is about a person in YC 110-115, and story B is about the same person, in YC 120.
3) Story A is about a person in YC 50, and story B is about this persons now-grown son in YC 110. Again, there might be overlaps (such as, if, in story A, the person has a mighty battle or similar which might make the deed known (locally or throughout New Eden)).
Are either allowed?

Is it okay if story B does not refer to things that a reader might not know (provided the reader hasn't read story A beforehand)?

Maybe I'm jumping the horse, since B might not have enough words for recaps. Better safe than sorry, though. (And while it might be better to ask forgiveness than permission, I'm a stickler for contest rules)

As a side note, I find it both hilarious and ingenious that the contest spans november, at the same time as NaNoWriMo.
Aand a follow-up question: If the story submitted to this contest is 1/10th of the story submitted to NaNoWriMo, does this violate the contest rules (NaNoWriMo does not, if I recall correctly, publish the novel)?

First part of your question: Yes, a series of stories is OK. For judging purposes, each one will have to stand independently on its own, in isolation. As if the story were being submitted to a magazine, and the readers are not familiar with the characters or the previous events. (Tough challenge, eh? Smile But the old Sherlock Holmes, H.P. Lovecraft, Conan and Fafhrd & the Grey Mouser stories managed to do it, and yet have some degree of continuity).

Second part of your question: To be considered in the competition, the story shouldn't have been published anywhere. If it won't appear on a NaNoWriMo site or any other site during the contest, it should be OK. If it is published (posted) somewhere else during the contest, we can't consider it as a competition entry. We're trying to keep things simple for Zapatero at EON, who may be considering good entries for publication. Publishing/posting somewhere else makes that complicated.
#40 - 2012-10-25 00:33:52 UTC
Kratos Alabel wrote:
Ok, so i read the pages concerning this and I am a wee-bit confused. The eve official lore part is what is confusing me. Is there a specific topic in eve or can we make up any fictional story to be considered for the graphics card contest.

There's no specific topic in the lore-based category. The story just needs to be set in the New Eden world, and be as faithful to the lore as possible. I'm going to refer you to Zapatero's post for guidance about how strictly faithful to the lore you need to be.
7 PagesPrevious page1234Next pageLast page