Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Navy Skins

First post
Author
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#1 - 2013-05-17 11:42:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Invisusira
Yeah, I know, the whole "cammo in space" joke has been absolutely beaten to death, but just looking at the new faction BCs really got me wondering why it persists.

Now, don't get me wrong. I fly Amarr. Our Navy ships look absolutely brilliant. The black/white color scheme makes for what are arguably some of the most gorgeous ships in the game (dat post-odyssey napoc). I just feel really bad for everyone else. Well, I mean, ok, maybe not the Minmatar. They just don't know any better. But the Gallente? The Caldari?

Obviously, anything visual is going to be totally subjective. I'm sure there are plenty of people who do love their space cammo. But I've seen a lot - a LOT - of forum posts making the random little nag about the hideous Photoshop noise filter Caldari cammo and the like. Why don't the other races have a nice, clean, well thought-out skin for their Navy ships like the Amarr do? Why do we have three races of space-faring, wormhole-hopping, warp drive-initiating societies that paint camouflage on their space ships?
WE FORM V0LTA
#2 - 2013-05-17 11:48:16 UTC
Invisusira wrote:
I'm sure there are plenty of people who do love their space cammo.


Your post is very good except this- no, there are no such people.

.

#3 - 2013-05-17 12:02:58 UTC  |  Edited by: ExAstra
Your post has warmed my soul! I have always adored the Amarr Navy ships, in fact the Navy Omen is what made me decide to not hate the Omen hull and train for a Zealot (totally worthy investment). But the Gallente try to hide in forests and god knows where the Caldari think they're going to hide that Digi-Ocean Camo Scorpion.

I've always seen Gallente colors as Green/Black (though brown seems to be the more canon color), Caldari as Blue/Gray. More distinctive skins (a la Amarr Navy) using these colors would be really nice. The Matari really don't need the space camo either though, give them some Red/Brown accenting skins and call it fabulous.


Please, CCP?

Save the drones!

Vaihto Ehto
#4 - 2013-05-17 12:33:49 UTC
I don't mind the space camo in general, eventhough I too find it a bit silly. The only thing I can't understand is why do they make the camo pattern symmetrical on the ship. That's not how proper camouflage patterns are designed/applied IRL.

Why would you not use an alt to post on the forums?

#5 - 2013-05-17 13:04:48 UTC
its not a matter of life or death for eve. But i would like to replace them too with something different, race and tech specific would be nice.
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2013-05-17 13:16:30 UTC
I was hoping we could see something more like this myself, this color scheme on the typhoon was what I was hoping we would get as a faction typhooon. CCP seriously, please?
Goonswarm Federation
#7 - 2013-05-17 21:17:26 UTC
Roime wrote:
Invisusira wrote:
I'm sure there are plenty of people who do love their space cammo.


Your post is very good except this- no, there are no such people.




Hey now, I kind of like the vagabond's space camo. That's about it though.


Also, OP, would your idea involve bringing back the police comet?
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#8 - 2013-05-17 21:32:54 UTC
You had damn well better believe it. Random little flavor bits like the police Comet are what make this game fun.
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2013-05-22 21:02:07 UTC
I'm completely backing this up!
While the aesthetics of spaceships is highly subjective, and by all means, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The Amarr navy fleet ships looks like improved versions of their namesakes. The same can't be said of the other factions, unfortunately :s

That being said, I want a myrmidon with the amarry navy skin for christmas :3

"The most persistent principles of the universe are accident and error."

Jen Ann Tonique
#10 - 2013-05-22 21:07:13 UTC
Roime wrote:
Invisusira wrote:
I'm sure there are plenty of people who do love their space cammo.


Your post is very good except this- no, there are no such people.




I like the Cadari white/black digital style camo paint, I think the SNI wears it best though.

Jen Ann Tonique does not approve of this product and/or service. Any comments contained herin are to be taken not seriously and no person/s shall hold Jen Ann Tonique responsible for any damage real and/or imagined due to use or misuse of above comment. By reading this statement you agree to the above terms.

#11 - 2013-05-22 21:52:59 UTC
The Caldari Navy Paint Job actually makes sense with the Nay Digital Camo, this particular camo would hide a ship in space IRL visually quite well from a distance because of the dark colours. All in All don't touch the Caldari Navy colour scheme!!!

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=342042&find=unread

Jen Ann Tonique
#12 - 2013-05-22 22:26:30 UTC
The one that needs fixed is Minmatar. There is not enough distinction between the normal paint jobs and the FI paints from any meaningful distance. The base "rust brown" doesn't lend itself well to be coated over by the green and it just becomes one big...messy...looking blob from even a short distance.

Jen Ann Tonique does not approve of this product and/or service. Any comments contained herin are to be taken not seriously and no person/s shall hold Jen Ann Tonique responsible for any damage real and/or imagined due to use or misuse of above comment. By reading this statement you agree to the above terms.

Trans-Stellar Industries
#13 - 2013-05-22 22:55:36 UTC
I love Amarr ships. But personally, I don't care for the color of the Amarr Navy Issue's. I don't think they look particularly like they fit in the 'golden fleet', and so I generally avoid them. I'm a vain player, and I know what I like and what I don't. Which is why only one of my characters, the one who dies the most, flies Minmatar.

That said, I'm just an expression of a greater argument: different strokes for different folks. I may not like the way the Navy Issue ships look, but should they be changed? I don't have a good reason why they should, besides MY personal preference.

If you're driven to threaten others with harm or violence because of what they do in game, you can't separate fantasy from reality. That "griefer/thief" is probably more sane than you are. How screwed up is that?

Jen Ann Tonique
#14 - 2013-05-22 23:13:42 UTC
I think the Dominix is so ugly I absolutely refuse to fly it. I PVE with a Mega because I wouldn't be caught dead flying that heaping pile even if it's the hands down better boat for PVE. I can only hope that one day CCP will put it down for good. It also sickens me that they use that hull for a Navy boat. No amount of lipstick can help that pig.

Jen Ann Tonique does not approve of this product and/or service. Any comments contained herin are to be taken not seriously and no person/s shall hold Jen Ann Tonique responsible for any damage real and/or imagined due to use or misuse of above comment. By reading this statement you agree to the above terms.

Gallente Federation
#15 - 2013-05-23 00:58:40 UTC
While appearance may be subjective, I just can't understand why they would choose camouflage as the template for the design of their navy ship skins. Other than the darker colors of the Caldari digital paint, most of the color schemes don't even really lend themselves to the idea that camouflage is supposed to help something blend into the environment. Let's be honest, when there is technology that makes something invisible, like cloaks, the ships should be designed with good visual appearance in mind, rather than pseudo-sneakiness. The choice of "space camo" just seems uninspired when we know that EVE's art team is actually uniquely creative and really good at its job in general.
Trans-Stellar Industries
#16 - 2013-05-23 01:08:26 UTC
Alec Polaris wrote:
While appearance may be subjective, I just can't understand why they would choose camouflage as the template for the design of their navy ship skins. Other than the darker colors of the Caldari digital paint, most of the color schemes don't even really lend themselves to the idea that camouflage is supposed to help something blend into the environment. Let's be honest, when there is technology that makes something invisible, like cloaks, the ships should be designed with good visual appearance in mind, rather than pseudo-sneakiness. The choice of "space camo" just seems uninspired when we know that EVE's art team is actually uniquely creative and really good at its job in general.


With that in mind, why would any space-faring civilization choose anything for their ship colors? Good visual appearance? Spotting something 1000km off with your eyes would be impossible. Too much space to look out windows, anyhow, so the actual look and color of the ship would be irrelevant from a practical standpoint.

And if it's just for aesthetics and the pleasure of the pilot, then you could go with any design you want. None of it actually would have an impact in space. So I guess a pro-military organization who's roots still stretch to fighting on the ground and with small arms, might choose camo patterns for their ships, simply because it fits their ideals of what looks 'military'.

Still doesn't explain why the so-called 'golden fleet' is made up of black and white ships, but that's a different argument.

If you're driven to threaten others with harm or violence because of what they do in game, you can't separate fantasy from reality. That "griefer/thief" is probably more sane than you are. How screwed up is that?

#17 - 2013-05-23 09:18:11 UTC
what i would LOVE to see, is simple:


let US do our own paintjobs, using an editor.

this editor would accept "patterns" in a commonly used format (png?), and trust me, capsulers can be creative.

maybe not ingame (i would love it tho, but many issues could be brought by this, performance side for ex.), but maybe a website allowing us to create custom paintjobs for the ship (navy only? / navy + pirate? / all of them? )

a contest could be brought around this, and with an editor in place, trust me there will be lotta submissions, and let the best win!

winner paintjob would then become the official paintjob for the ship or it's line
C C P Alliance
#18 - 2013-05-23 11:46:16 UTC
I have removed some trolling from this thread.

EVE Online/DUST 514 Community Representative ※ EVE Illuminati ※ Fiction Adept

@CCP_Eterne ※ @EVE_LiveEvents

Gallente Federation
#19 - 2013-06-04 13:02:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Lodocran
The point of subjectivity regarding spaceship aestetic have already been adressed prior in this thread, several times. So I'm not gonna embelish that.

As nice as it would be to have some sort of personal choice in how your own spacejunk looks. However, I don't think having a contest and letting one person decide for the rest is gonna solve that. That would just make even more people disagree about the topic.

Howerver, I can see a posibility for colour customization if;

  • There was a predefined pallete with limited colour choises for your ships. No mix 'n match, just alternative versions. As suggested earlier.
  • You could mix 'n match whatever you wanted your ships to look like. But the looks woud be saved locally and other players would still see the default look of your ship upon encounter.
  • CCP introduced more faction skins in-game. I believe what is a faction and what is not and who should be, is already discussed to great lenght, albeit under a different topic.


So sadly no easy elegant solution.
Which is troublesome, because eve could do with some greater depht of customization. Other than a characrer you don't see or controll most of the time playing.

"The most persistent principles of the universe are accident and error."

#20 - 2013-06-04 13:23:50 UTC
Grunnax Aurelius wrote:
The Caldari Navy Paint Job actually makes sense with the Nay Digital Camo, this particular camo would hide a ship in space IRL visually quite well from a distance because of the dark colours. All in All don't touch the Caldari Navy colour scheme!!!

It looks like they're trying to give their enemies seizures more than anything else.
Jen Ann Tonique wrote:
I think the Dominix is so ugly I absolutely refuse to fly it. I PVE with a Mega because I wouldn't be caught dead flying that heaping pile even if it's the hands down better boat for PVE. I can only hope that one day CCP will put it down for good. It also sickens me that they use that hull for a Navy boat. No amount of lipstick can help that pig.
How dare you say such things?! You shut your god **** mouth when you're talking about the Dominix! >=o It's so beautiful.

Blatant overreactions aside, I still support this thread and the idea that all navy ships should have cooler looking paint schemes. Look at the Fedathron! Could there be a more gorgeous spaceship before I die? Only time will tell (or CCP if they give it a really lame paint scheme again)

Save the drones!

Forum Jump