Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Are attributes a good mechanic ?

Author
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-05-22 23:24:48 UTC
By that I mean that if CCP decided to lock our character attributes to the same value before implants, so that all skills of the same rank train at the same speed (unless you have implants of different strengths), would anything of value be lost ?

When I look at setting your characters attributes, I only hear of players doing one of two things:
- New players screwing them up because they don't know what they are doing.
- Players putting a skill plan into a program like Evemon and getting it to calculate the optimal attribute layout.

That doesn't sound very interesting to me. The only slightly interesting thing is that I might decided to change my skill plan to one that would have a different optimal attribute layout. But I wouldn't even hesitate, I'd just go to the new plan and make do with suboptimal attributes until my next remap. Especially since they would only be slightly suboptimal.

Would having suboptimal attributes cause you to hesitate about changing your skill plan ?
Jen Ann Tonique
#2 - 2013-05-22 23:32:33 UTC
Personally, I think remapping should be removed. Give everyone 20 to each and let implants do the rest. I'm one of those people though that CBA to worry about what skills I am going to have next week, let alone 6 months from now. I take it day by day. A lot more fun that way.

Jen Ann Tonique does not approve of this product and/or service. Any comments contained herin are to be taken not seriously and no person/s shall hold Jen Ann Tonique responsible for any damage real and/or imagined due to use or misuse of above comment. By reading this statement you agree to the above terms.

Trans-Stellar Industries
#3 - 2013-05-22 23:33:20 UTC
Hesod Adee wrote:
By that I mean that if CCP decided to lock our character attributes to the same value before implants, so that all skills of the same rank train at the same speed (unless you have implants of different strengths), would anything of value be lost ?

When I look at setting your characters attributes, I only hear of players doing one of two things:
- New players screwing them up because they don't know what they are doing.
- Players putting a skill plan into a program like Evemon and getting it to calculate the optimal attribute layout.

That doesn't sound very interesting to me. The only slightly interesting thing is that I might decided to change my skill plan to one that would have a different optimal attribute layout. But I wouldn't even hesitate, I'd just go to the new plan and make do with suboptimal attributes until my next remap. Especially since they would only be slightly suboptimal.

Would having suboptimal attributes cause you to hesitate about changing your skill plan ?

It seems like they are drifting more and more towards this. They've already removed the base attributes from character creation and racial division. Then they took out learning skills, which boosted attributes. It really seems like next on the block will be the +5 implants, in order to encourage more players to sacrifice their pods and get in on some pvp.

Once they do that, the ability to adjust attributes is significantly less. Might as well just null and void them and balance us even more.

Because, you know, balance and gameplay is the only thing worth achieving.

If you're driven to threaten others with harm or violence because of what they do in game, you can't separate fantasy from reality. That "griefer/thief" is probably more sane than you are. How screwed up is that?