EVE Fiction

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
6 Pages123Next pageLast page
 

Pod and Pilot Fiction Contest is back!

Author
A Band Apart.
#1 - 2013-10-10 03:18:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Random McNally
Capsuleers of New Eden (and perspective writers)

It is my absolute pleasure to inform you that Telegram Sam has done it again! The return of the Pod and Pilot Fiction Contest for 2013. You can find the rules for the upcoming contest at https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=284381&p=2 or at his website, located at http://hullabalutions.blogspot.com.

(although, why he posted the original post in GD is beyond me.....)

In a nutshell...

Pod and Pilot Fiction Contest is a contest for perspective writers to tell tales of New Eden in three Catagories.

Eight Thousand Suns in New Eden
These stories carry the best prizes but are the toughest since they require the tale to be told adhering to the canon of Eve Online. You cannot use ingame character, corporation or alliance names. It must be set within the New Eden milieu as laid out within the prime EVE fiction.

A Day In The Life
True, mostly true or completely made up events from the New Eden or Dust 514 landscape. In game character names CAN be used along with corporations, alliances or "player driven content" events. This catagory is much more fluid (and you are allowed to take potshots at the canon).

Other Things Just Make You Swear And Curse
A brand new catagory for the 2013 contest! For those of you that DONT think EVE/Dust is Srs Bzns! Stories here should be Eve/Dust related but have humor! Whether knee slapping or Sly-n-Dry, humor is the main component.

Did you see I mentioned prizes?

Oh yea, there will be prizes! Somer Blink and the High Drag podcast have contributed (so far) 101 PLEX!!
(yea, Somer had to show us up....) You can see the break down of prizes on the above linked sites. If you would like to donate prizes to this endeavor, contact Telegram Sam. He'll know how to distribute them properly.

Judging?
There will be judges. CCP Eterne and CCP Falcon (two experienced EVE writers) along with CSM Member Mike Azariah and Telegram Sam himself will be the crew of judges you will need to impress! (I hear that Mr. Azariah is looking for more bounties.....coincidence?)

Go to the sites. Read the rules. Take up your writing utensils and write write write!!

Deadline for submissions is November 10, 2013 at 2359 game time.

Clock is ticking folks! Now.........go!

(where did I put that #2 pencil???)

Host of High Drag Podcast. http://highdrag.wordpress.com/

Space music http://minddivided.com

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

Spatial Instability
#2 - 2013-10-11 05:49:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Seraph Essael
Random McNally wrote:

(although, why he posted the original post in GD is beyond me.....)


Good job he did, otherwise I wouldn't know about it due to the fact that before I read the post in GD, I never came here...

I have never wrote anything to let other people read it (I keep it all for myself) but I figure why the hell not. I'll give it a go.

2000 words (just over) so far, and about half way through (ish). But I have no clue what to name it! Sucks...Oops

Quoted from Doc Fury: "Concerned citizens: Doc seldom plays EVE on the weekends during spring and summer, so you will always be on your own for a couple days a week. Doc spends that time collecting kittens for the on-going sacrifices, engaging in reckless outdoor activities, and speaking in the 3rd person."

#3 - 2013-10-11 16:29:03 UTC
Seraph Essael wrote:
Random McNally wrote:

(although, why he posted the original post in GD is beyond me.....)


Good job he did, otherwise I wouldn't know about it due to the fact that before I read the post in GD, I never came here...

I have never wrote anything to let other people read it (I keep it all for myself) but I figure why the hell not. I'll give it a go.

2000 words (just over) so far, and about half way through (ish). But I have no clue what to name it! Sucks...Oops

Excellent! We had a lot of first-time writers enter last year, and all of them had excellent ideas and most had good, smooth writing. You're already ahead of the curve.
#4 - 2013-10-11 20:04:55 UTC
He, scrapped my first serious attempt after it grew too complex to fit within 5,000 words, but already have another one in good shape. Also i am plotting another micro-story/joke, if i can figure a good punchline for it.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

A Band Apart.
#5 - 2013-10-14 13:53:30 UTC
I'm still in the brainstorming stage....Ugh

Host of High Drag Podcast. http://highdrag.wordpress.com/

Space music http://minddivided.com

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

#6 - 2013-10-14 14:01:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
Random McNally wrote:
I'm still in the brainstorming stage....Ugh


I wrote the draft for a 8,000 suns story, will be beefing and checking it up along the week. Fortunately, i'm on holidays, as I hadn't had a chance to write seriously in years. Lol

(Anyway the story is not specially briliant, so no matter if I can improve it, I will try and come with something else. Would be sweet to have a story in each cathegory!)

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

A Band Apart.
#7 - 2013-10-14 14:06:24 UTC
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
Random McNally wrote:
I'm still in the brainstorming stage....Ugh


I wrote the draft for a 8,000 suns story, will be beefing and checking it up along the week. Fortunately, i'm on holidays, as I hadn't had a chance to write seriously in years. Lol

(Anyway the story is not specially briliant, so no matter if I can improve it, I will try and come with something else. Would be sweet to have a story in each cathegory!)

I did that last year but writing in 8K suns is tough.

With all the family stuff going on, I'm having issues staying focused long enough to come up with a story.

Host of High Drag Podcast. http://highdrag.wordpress.com/

Space music http://minddivided.com

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

Brotherhood Of Silent Space
#8 - 2013-10-14 14:11:38 UTC
Someone interested in an German Story ?

We are at 14k words in the moment. But we only write in German and we don't find one who have the time to translate the story.

Kira Hhallas - Austrian EvE Community - ingame =Österreich= - StoryPage - https://oneshotstorys.wordpress.com/ -


Cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare

A Band Apart.
#9 - 2013-10-14 14:15:59 UTC
Would love to read it and would have to translate it as my Deutsch is very rusty.

However, I would never submit it as my own.

Host of High Drag Podcast. http://highdrag.wordpress.com/

Space music http://minddivided.com

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

Brotherhood Of Silent Space
#10 - 2013-10-14 17:06:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Kira Hhallas
So here it is.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1--Oq9lh0gLr25sprc9GX9kievNvSxdtJ54wsyfIxIV0/edit?usp=sharing

So we translated the first chapter into English.

https://truestories.eveonline.com/truestories/ideas/771-the-lord-of-the-wingsor-how-to-choose-a-really-bad-title.html

But don't forget. That's more Firefly, Spaceballs, etc etc ... only in EVE .

Greatings from Austria.

Edit.:

Our attention is not to win prices with this story, we will not reject them, but we write, because we like to.
And after five chapter we are not done with the story.

Kira Hhallas - Austrian EvE Community - ingame =Österreich= - StoryPage - https://oneshotstorys.wordpress.com/ -


Cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare

#11 - 2013-10-16 21:34:14 UTC
Kira Hhallas wrote:
So here it is.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1--Oq9lh0gLr25sprc9GX9kievNvSxdtJ54wsyfIxIV0/edit?usp=sharing

So we translated the first chapter into English.

https://truestories.eveonline.com/truestories/ideas/771-the-lord-of-the-wingsor-how-to-choose-a-really-bad-title.html

But don't forget. That's more Firefly, Spaceballs, etc etc ... only in EVE .

Greatings from Austria.

Edit.:

Our attention is not to win prices with this story, we will not reject them, but we write, because we like to.
And after five chapter we are not done with the story.

Thanks for the entry Kira.

And thanks for spreading the word about the contest Random! Still 3.5 weeks to write, guys.
#12 - 2013-10-19 11:42:35 UTC
Houm, what would be a easy & dependable way to host a full length story on the internet? I don't owe any blog and posting 5,000 words at the EVE forums is totally pace-breaking. Question

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

#13 - 2013-10-19 12:44:48 UTC
Google's blogger.com is quick and easy to use. Anybody have any other recommendations?
#14 - 2013-10-19 14:29:53 UTC
Telegram Sam wrote:
Google's blogger.com is quick and easy to use. Anybody have any other recommendations?


But, that's a blogging tool...? I don't want a blog, just need somewhere to post the story. A service like imgur, but for text rather than images... Question

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

#15 - 2013-10-19 15:22:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Telegram Sam
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Google's blogger.com is quick and easy to use. Anybody have any other recommendations?


But, that's a blogging tool...? I don't want a blog, just need somewhere to post the story. A service like imgur, but for text rather than images... Question

If you can, post the story as text instead of an image, so we can copy and paste the text and do a word count. (Have to make sure stories aren't over 5000 words). I suppose an image on imgur would work, if it's in PDF format. I can convert that to text. Last year most people posted to a blog site like wordpress or blogger, or a free website builder like webnode.com.
#16 - 2013-10-20 10:42:50 UTC
I've been suggested to use http://pastebin.com/, looks like a good option albeit it technically is a code sharing service. Lol

By the way, the page linking to the current year entries is showing nothing since yesterday Question: http://podandplanetyc115.blogspot.com.es/

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

#17 - 2013-10-20 13:41:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Telegram Sam
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
I've been suggested to use http://pastebin.com/, looks like a good option albeit it technically is a code sharing service. Lol

By the way, the page linking to the current year entries is showing nothing since yesterday Question: http://podandplanetyc115.blogspot.com.es/

Pastebin sounds like it could work.
Blogger.com is having tech issues, so I can't update the story entries page. Will be fixed soon hopefully. Ugh

Edit: Story entries page is up with a temporary fix. Six new works are linked there, for your reading pleasure.
#18 - 2013-10-23 00:18:48 UTC
Entries are coming in. Keep them coming! There's nothing to lose but the time spent writing. Is that time lost? Don't think so. Smile
#19 - 2013-10-25 18:05:36 UTC
The entries so far are here. For your reading pleasure or inspiration for your writing. Smile
Second Empire.
#20 - 2013-11-09 22:20:44 UTC
Just over 24h left! Get your entries in and make sure you have submitted properly by checking to confirm your entry is listed on Sam's page!

Good luck authors!

Author of Interstellar Privateer Shattered Planets, Wormholes and Game Commentary

6 Pages123Next pageLast page
Forum Jump