CSM Campaigns

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
4 PagesPrevious page1234Next page
 

Xander Phoena for CSM X

First post
Author
#41 - 2015-01-25 01:44:26 UTC
Reading through CSM Winter Summit minutes and I can see Xander is definitely very (if not the most) involved with the decisions and discussions. He is always there asking questions, giving suggestions. From what I've seen I can say that he really takes his job at CSM seriously and not afraid to take responsibility.

You earned a place in my ballot =).

Also if you check his lines in those minutes he is bold with the topics and questions! Definitely the CSM we need and the CSM CCP deserves :P
#42 - 2015-01-25 05:51:04 UTC
Xander,

As someone who works with me on the EVE101.com project, what are your thoughts on the New Player Experience in EVE in general? What do you think can be improved upon and adjusted to better incentivize new players into venturing down the path of PVP and eventually subscribing?

One point of contention I have with the tutorials is that it does a very poor job introducing and preparing players for the concept of permanent loss when undocked and attacked by other players (or when their ship is destroyed by NPCs). There is also the problem regularly stated that a new player "has no clue what there is to do" when starting out and simply runs missions and so forth as commented on by CCP Rise at EVE Vegas. It could be said this is because the "sandbox gameplay" doesn't open up for the player until several hours into the game and beginners tutorial is completed. Your thoughts?
Ghost Legion.
#43 - 2015-01-25 10:44:41 UTC
Xander is legit a great guy. You will get my votes.
Minmatar Republic
#44 - 2015-01-25 20:43:56 UTC
Hendrick Tallardar wrote:
Xander,

As someone who works with me on the EVE101.com project, what are your thoughts on the New Player Experience in EVE in general? What do you think can be improved upon and adjusted to better incentivize new players into venturing down the path of PVP and eventually subscribing?

One point of contention I have with the tutorials is that it does a very poor job introducing and preparing players for the concept of permanent loss when undocked and attacked by other players (or when their ship is destroyed by NPCs). There is also the problem regularly stated that a new player "has no clue what there is to do" when starting out and simply runs missions and so forth as commented on by CCP Rise at EVE Vegas. It could be said this is because the "sandbox gameplay" doesn't open up for the player until several hours into the game and beginners tutorial is completed. Your thoughts?


Sup Hendrick. Cheers for the question.

The NPE was a huge topic of conversation at Summit. It clearly needs improvement. There's no shocker there.

Not gonna lie - regarding your 'loss' comment, I completely agree however it didn't really come up at Summit. I think your second comment kind of brings up the bigger issue which isn't just teaching players the basics, it's pushing them in some kind of direction in Eve. The tutorials do a bad job of that at the moment. CCP showed us some 'very' cool ideas for where they could go with this in the future. We made 'very' clear that CCP should actually go and do these things. I hope they do. If they do, I think the NPE will be SO much better.

Sorry for being vague but yeah, CCP are aware of the issue, they have some very solid ideas on how to solve it and I hope they follow through.

www.crossingzebras.com

#45 - 2015-01-26 10:28:21 UTC
As a follow up, what are your personal thoughts on areas of interest that need a complete overhaul and what would you like for that specifically to be? (eg. making the career choice an immediate thing in the tutorial rather than later on or adding a PVP training zone in highsec starter systems etc.)
Minmatar Republic
#46 - 2015-01-26 14:34:35 UTC
Hendrick Tallardar wrote:
As a follow up, what are your personal thoughts on areas of interest that need a complete overhaul and what would you like for that specifically to be? (eg. making the career choice an immediate thing in the tutorial rather than later on or adding a PVP training zone in highsec starter systems etc.)


See I have to be careful with this question because I actively now 'know' what CCP are planning to overhaul in the coming months. I say something which I know isn't slated to be on the table and I get egg on my face potentially or I say something I know is coming and it's grandstanding.

What I will say is that as you saw from the Minutes, the immediate NPE - that first hour or so someone is in the game - is so super important and some of the ideas CCP showed us at Summit are fantastic. I genuinely think that even more than sov update, this NPE stuff is utterly vital to the long term health of the game.

www.crossingzebras.com

#47 - 2015-01-27 10:49:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Hendrick Tallardar
Well, let's just humor the concept you don't know what CCP are planning.

What did you personally believe to be the biggest area of weakness for the NPE as a whole prior to joining the CSM?


Edit - On a side subject, in this Capstable Podcast discussion the topic of having the CSM 10 candidates personal information remain private came up after CCP announced that will be the policy. As someone whose real name and such is already out there, what are your thoughts? Do you agree with Marc Scaurus, a former contributor at your website CrossingZebras, in that perhaps your personal information should be put out there in order to run for CSM amidst the current gaming community's controversies? Things such as investigating people's personal lives, harassing those peoples family members and so forth over video games.
Minmatar Republic
#48 - 2015-01-30 00:24:30 UTC
Hendrick Tallardar wrote:
Well, let's just humor the concept you don't know what CCP are planning.

What did you personally believe to be the biggest area of weakness for the NPE as a whole prior to joining the CSM?


Edit - On a side subject, in this Capstable Podcast discussion the topic of having the CSM 10 candidates personal information remain private came up after CCP announced that will be the policy. As someone whose real name and such is already out there, what are your thoughts? Do you agree with Marc Scaurus, a former contributor at your website CrossingZebras who also levels some pretty strong criticism at you on his blog, in that perhaps your personal information should be put out there in order to run for CSM amidst the current gaming community's controversies? Things such as investigating people's personal lives, harassing those peoples family members and so forth over video games.


I think the biggest issue getting players through the NPE is that crucial first 30 mins to an hour. People need to be grabbed in that timeframe except we all know that Eve isn't a game that's easily played in 30 min - 1 hour bursts, let alone that very first 60 minutes. There's one key way they could get round this and I can't discuss it in too much detail as it is NDAed but I certainly hope CCP follow through on it.

I didn't spot Marc's post but wrt CSM members identities being private or not, I really don't have a particularly strong opinion either way. If someone in Eve really wants to go after you, they can probably find your real name pretty easily - gamergate only proves this thesis imho. On the other hand, there are some great potential CSMers out there who haven't stood up to now because they didn't want their names public. I guess we shouldn't be making it easier for them ofc but I certainly have zero issues with my name being public then CCP changing the rules down the line.

www.crossingzebras.com

EvE-Scout Enclave
#49 - 2015-01-30 13:38:28 UTC
I didn't know Xander last year but included him on my CSM9 voting slate because I liked what I read and heard from him. This year, I've gotten to know him much better through his excellent and regular CSM posts and as a result of my having joined Crossing Zebras as a staff writer.

I'll tell you this: HE CARES ABOUT THIS GAME! He is well spoken, knowledgeable, passionate, and engaged. He has been an actively contributing and communicating CSM9 member. He will be in the top tier of my CSMX slate and he deserves your vote too.

Good luck, Xander, I hope you have the chance to continue the work you did on CSM9!


Disclaimer: No, I wasn't paid to say this. Big smile

Lost in space, looking for sigs...

Blog: Cloaky Wanderer

Pandemic Legion
#50 - 2015-01-31 02:20:29 UTC
Laurici wrote:


The other question is pretty fair, are you an official PL candidate?


You know its funny we don't enforce an official thing, your votes are your own (unless you're angelus X). Most years theres only one or two guys who want to try, this year there are 4 guys in PL who'd like to try out.

Ive been super critical of past PL CSM guys (and mazzi) for a relatively low level of communication. Xander is a fairly engaging guy, and if you consider what the man does for a living and that he still maintains his level of activity CSM wise you're left impressed .

He's a solid choice in internet spaceship politics

Malcanis - Without drone assign, the slowcat doctrine will wither and die.

#51 - 2015-02-01 08:51:35 UTC
He is also running a blog/podcast and helps support EVE101.com behind closed doors. The guy knows what commitment means.
#52 - 2015-02-02 09:43:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Raziel Walker
Edit: Apologies to Xander because I somehow always confuse Xander and DJ FunkyBacon.
Goonswarm Federation
#53 - 2015-02-04 10:08:17 UTC
More of a roundabout meta question for you Xander.

What qualities in a candidate do you think makes one the most electable?
What qualities would actually make a candidate the most effective once elected?
And makes a candidate good to work with on the council as a team.

Are any of these qualities mutually exclusive.

An official Member of the Goonswarm Federation Complaints Department.

#54 - 2015-02-04 16:52:29 UTC
I didn't vote for Xander in the last election. I thought his personality was to explosive for the csm. He proved me wrong and I will be voting for him this time around.

Done my time in null sec, now I'm just a Privateer wandering around High and Low Sec.

Minmatar Republic
#55 - 2015-02-04 17:05:21 UTC
Angry Mustache wrote:
More of a roundabout meta question for you Xander.

What qualities in a candidate do you think makes one the most electable?
What qualities would actually make a candidate the most effective once elected?
And makes a candidate good to work with on the council as a team.

Are any of these qualities mutually exclusive.


Thanks for the great questions Angry.

Qualities that make a candidate the most electable? Well without putting too fine a point on it, being a senior member / candidate from a 0.0 makes a huge difference. Whether it is fair or reasonable or not, if you are the candidate in a 0.0 bloc, that trumps just about any other quality. It's the nature of the beast.

I think though the question you are actually asking is 'what qualities would I like to see in a candidate?' Before they are even elected, I like to see someone with a proven history of interacting with the community. Whether that be in alliance forums or twitter or a blog or here on Eve-O or whatever - I like to see someone who has went out of their way to interact with other players outside of the game.

I personally like to see someone who understands their particular fields of the game (anyone who tells you they know everything about every part of the game is lying), is able to back up their own particular point or argument when necessary but also understands how to listen to opposing arguments and back down with it is correct to do so.

They need to be able to communicate effectively with other Council members, CCP and the player base while also being able to effectively prioritise what is important in any situation. They also must understand that they will almost certainly be working with someone in the other 13 members who have distressed them in game in some way. Being able to put the meta aside is imperative.

And understand that you will need to work hard at certain times, particularly around Summit. That was doubly so when we had to do the Minutes ourselves.

I think that kinda answers questions two or three as well but I am more than happy to answer any follow-ups you have Angry.

As to whether they are mutually exclusive. Well put it like this, I am of the opinion that there are no 'perfect' council members on CSM9. Some get (a lot) closer than others but we all have things we can improve on - we are only human. I'd like to see all of the above in a council member but I realise that I myself am not perfect and try to be tolerant in the foibles of others.

www.crossingzebras.com

Minmatar Republic
#56 - 2015-02-07 22:21:01 UTC
Some other CSM candidates have been discussing me and transparency of late. I felt it only right that I added to the discussion:

http://crossingzebras.com/on-transparency/

www.crossingzebras.com

#57 - 2015-02-07 22:38:39 UTC
I've asked this question to other Eve Media participants, be it podcasters, bloggers or video casters, so I will ask you the same question.

I have a question in regards to being a participant in the Eve Media community. With all of the leaks, the controversy surrounding several Eve Media participants, going all the way back to the start of CSM9 and now with the latest drama surrounding FunkyBacon... Do you think it's wise to run ?

I personally as a content creator think, at this point in time, it's gonna set you back as a content creator, in time, as well as in having a voice that can speak his mind openly without the NDA lurking in the background.

Don't you think being a content creator would serve the community a lot better then you could as a CSM ?
#58 - 2015-02-10 20:17:13 UTC
This candidate is legit, two fisted standup guy. His website & podcast after TMC is the goto resource for ear-to-the-ground journalism. You have my vote, a return player who followed the meta in the form of crossing zebras.

"Not the Boreworms!"

#59 - 2015-02-16 09:25:55 UTC
Good luck, here is your ad.
Minmatar Republic
#60 - 2015-02-16 14:49:21 UTC
Grath Telkin wrote:
Laurici wrote:


The other question is pretty fair, are you an official PL candidate?


You know its funny we don't enforce an official thing, your votes are your own (unless you're angelus X). Most years theres only one or two guys who want to try, this year there are 4 guys in PL who'd like to try out.

Ive been super critical of past PL CSM guys (and mazzi) for a relatively low level of communication. Xander is a fairly engaging guy, and if you consider what the man does for a living and that he still maintains his level of activity CSM wise you're left impressed .

He's a solid choice in internet spaceship politics


Grath, you should run for CSM one of these days. I'd bloody vote for you.

Protect me from knowing what I don't need to know. Protect me from even knowing that there are things to know that I don't know. Protect me from knowing that I decided not to know about the things that I decided not to know about. Amen.

4 PagesPrevious page1234Next page
Forum Jump