CSM Campaigns

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Norjia Blacksteel running for CSM 10

Author
Renaissance Federation
#1 - 2015-02-19 01:32:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Norjia Blacksteel
Hi!

I'm a long-time CEO and many-year alliance leader, and I've decided to run for the CSM. I'm a game programmer and a game designer in real life, so I have a lot of experience with the kinds of issues I would have to deal with as a CSM member. I am also a very good communicator, and will have no trouble conveying my thoughts and ideas.

As far as the game itself goes, my main priorities at this time would be balance and finance.

I'd like to see more of EVE's systems balanced to keep the various Bartle Types of players happy in the game, which leads to a healthier playerbase.

In terms of finance, the biggest thing I think EVE needs is a way to trade stocks reliably. A functioning stock market would be a great player-driven system to have. This would of course require an overhaul of the current system of what owning stocks allows players to do.

While my corp has tended to be on the carebear side of the game over the years, this does not mean that I would be for tilting the game's systems in favor of passive playstyles. I am a firm believer that it is the danger presented by other players in the game that makes building so rewarding. While I think there are a few places where the balance leans a bit too far in one direction, I would not favor moving too far in the other as a means of "fixing" it.

As I also favor concise communitcations, I will keep this short and sign off now. I check my EVEmail and this form about once per day, so expect responses to take about that long to come through.

Norjia
#2 - 2015-02-19 01:45:22 UTC
Have you submitted the necessary paperwork to get onto the ballot?

Is there a reason you got into the race so late?

On the subject of stocks and the stock market, what do you see as the shortfalls of the current system and what additional features would you like to see? Also, in your ideal world, would CCP have to actively monitor the stock market and act as a regulatory body?

On the Bartle scale, what type of gamer do you believe EVE offers the least support for, and why?

The Nosy Gamer - CCP Random: "hehe, falls under the category: nice try, but no. ;)"

Renaissance Federation
#3 - 2015-02-19 01:54:57 UTC
I have submitted the paperwork, yes. I had decided a while ago to run, but I wasn't sure if I would come in for 10 or 11. I decided last week to do 10.

I imagine the stock market fixing the current problem that shares can only be given. There's no way to trade them reliably among people who don't know or trust each other. I don't see CCP needing to regulate it in the same way they don't regulate things like EVEBank or the Big Lottery. You still don't know if you can trust the stock to pay dividends or be in a real operating company instead of a Ponzi scheme. But that's a much more interesting problem to work through than "will I actually get the stock or will I just lose my money". With the ability to see a stock's value and dividend history, potential buyers would have some data to go on.

Another issue is the means that stock owners can use to call votes to replace corps' CEOs. This would require a serious overhaul, as the current system means you'd only want to issue stock in alt-held holding corps.

I would say Achievers have the least support from EVE as a game system. Since EVE is so massive, it's clear that Explorers have plenty to do. Socializers can join the RP alliances and chat all they want without leaving the station. And Killers... well, they have plenty of targets all over the galaxy.
#4 - 2015-02-19 02:04:00 UTC
I believe you are the executor for your alliance. Some past and current members have stated that being a member of the CSM is like having a second job. CCP Leeloo said on a recent podcast that the CSM duties can take up to 10-20 hours a week. If elected, will you have the time to devote to serving on the CSM?

The Nosy Gamer - CCP Random: "hehe, falls under the category: nice try, but no. ;)"

Second Empire.
#5 - 2015-02-19 05:19:27 UTC
Bartle's model is getting a bit long in the tooth. I prefer Nick Yee's along with the newer studies done around the usefulness of Bartle.

That said, this is a CSM campaign, so instead of indulging in psychological theory, I'll play along.

Using Bartle's model, explain what you think the biggest need is within each type, and what you would champion for CCP to do to address that.

Author of Interstellar Privateer Shattered Planets, Wormholes and Game Commentary

Renaissance Federation
#6 - 2015-02-20 00:32:51 UTC
Rosewalker wrote:
I believe you are the executor for your alliance. Some past and current members have stated that being a member of the CSM is like having a second job. CCP Leeloo said on a recent podcast that the CSM duties can take up to 10-20 hours a week. If elected, will you have the time to devote to serving on the CSM?

My executor duties don't take up a whole lot of time: it's a small alliance, and my corp runs quite smoothly now that it is so well-established. So there's shouldn't be any conflict between my EVE play time, CSM duties, and Real Life.
Renaissance Federation
#7 - 2015-02-20 00:48:31 UTC
Rhavas wrote:
Bartle's model is getting a bit long in the tooth. I prefer Nick Yee's along with the newer studies done around the usefulness of Bartle.

That said, this is a CSM campaign, so instead of indulging in psychological theory, I'll play along.

Using Bartle's model, explain what you think the biggest need is within each type, and what you would champion for CCP to do to address that.

Good point about Yee. His work is excellent. For simplicity I'll stick with Bartle.

Achievers are the ones that I think have the least support in the game. The Alliance Tournament is the main thing I can think of that caters to them... perhaps also Faction Warfare. I'm an Explorer, so it's hard for me to say how this situation could be improved beyond adding some more competitive elements to the game. The fundamental problem with "Achieving" in MMOs is that their content tends to be open to all players provided they're willing to put in the time. But I would be open to suggestions from the community on this since it's a place I don't have my own ideas about what should happen. One thing I am good at in game design is evaluating the impact of game design changes on the rest of the system: I think I would make good choices from multiple suggestions.

I think CCP already does a great job of facilitating the enjoyment of Explorers in the game, so I don't think a lot needs to be addressed there. Same for the Killers.

As for the Socilaizers, I think there are good avenues already, but the idea of walking in stations, owning facilities there, etc would be a great boon to them. Imagine being able to be the proprietor of a bar, which is a place where pilots can socialize, buy stuff from you, and get a certain type of mission... etc. However, I would not advocate this unless CCP could prove that they could get it working without doing it at the expense of development of the core game. The Incarna release was pretty weak, and we all remember the shakeup that caused in the community and at CCP.

#8 - 2015-02-20 03:05:52 UTC
I have known Norjia for years.

She has vast knowledge about EvE, is an excellent diplomat and a superb herder of cats.

If you want someone who can examine complex systems,
talk to people with competing agendas and come up with innovative solutions to gnarly problems,
then Norjia is the person you want.

#9 - 2015-02-21 03:20:12 UTC
Given that corporations in Eve are really just collections of people,
do you think that trading stocks would have any real value?

I.e. what would the driver of value be in trading stocks?
Renaissance Federation
#10 - 2015-02-21 16:14:57 UTC
Abla Tive wrote:
Given that corporations in Eve are really just collections of people,
do you think that trading stocks would have any real value?

I.e. what would the driver of value be in trading stocks?

I find the question odd, as real corporations in real life are really just collections of people as well. But I'll answer it as best I can. :)

For example, my corp has run what we call Projects where a bunch of people give us money in exchange for stocks. Then the Project uses the money to do something (say buy POSs, set them up in a wormhole then run reactions), and it pays dividends to the shareholders through the corp interface.

Currently, this only works with people we trust since a random person in the galaxy doesn't have any means of trading the stock with us. With a stockmarket, anyone can trade the shares with anyone. Personally, I'd like our Project shares to be available to trade with anyone.

This opens up new means of gathering wealth. Like you could issue 100,000 shares in your corp, but keep 25,000 of them, and then sell them later once the value of the shares has gone up.

Clearly this is open to nasty things like insider trading and various scams. But as I said before, that's a much more interesting set of problems than just wondering if the share sale will be honored or not with the current system.
Of Sound Mind
#11 - 2015-02-21 17:04:20 UTC
You say you are currently a game designer/game programmer. Are you aware of the NDA provisions that prohibit current employees of competitors to CCP from being on the CSM?

"CCP employees, ISD volunteers, CCP interns, CCP affiliates, CCP strategic partners or employees of other gaming companies/games and family members of CCP are all ineligible to run for the CSM."

I fight for the freedom of my people.

Renaissance Federation
#12 - 2015-02-21 17:09:27 UTC
June Ting wrote:
You say you are currently a game designer/game programmer. Are you aware of the NDA provisions that prohibit current employees of competitors to CCP from being on the CSM?

"CCP employees, ISD volunteers, CCP interns, CCP affiliates, CCP strategic partners or employees of other gaming companies/games and family members of CCP are all ineligible to run for the CSM."

I didn't think of my employer as a competitor, as the project I've been on is a mobile golf game. Thanks for the heads up, and I'm guessing I will be ineligible. If this is the case, I am sorry for having wasted peoples' time.

:(
Of Sound Mind
#13 - 2015-02-21 17:09:52 UTC
Norjia Blacksteel wrote:
June Ting wrote:

I didn't think of my employer as a competitor, as the project I've been on is a mobile golf game. Thanks for the heads up, and I'm guessing I will be ineligible. If this is the case, I am sorry for having wasted peoples' time.

:(

Best to come clean with CCP and explicitly clarify - they might only be concerned with MMOs.

I fight for the freedom of my people.

Renaissance Federation
#14 - 2015-02-23 17:02:10 UTC
So I contacted CCP, and they said they didn't mind I was working for a game company. Then I told them that I work at one of the studios that has a team that helps RSI with Star Citizen (I'm not involved with that project). Big smile

So they said that *would* be a problem, which is totally understandable.

Apologies to everyone who spent time in this thread.