EVE Fiction

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
2 Pages12Next page
 

Pod and Planet fiction contest - 54 bil isk prizes

Author
#1 - 2016-07-25 23:46:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Telegram Sam
Edit Oct. 27: The entry period has closed, writers are done. Congratulations on completing your fiction works, all! 46 new and original Eve fiction stories entered. Check them out here. Judges now getting to work, results are expected in the next few weeks.

Hi all,
Probably around October, the Pod & Planet EVE fiction contest will open and run for a month. It's in its fifth year, and people have submitted some truly amazing stuff over the years. And a lot of them submitted with the preface, "This is my first time trying something like this, I've never written any fiction before."

So, since quite a few people know about the event, and are probably already working on stories for it, I just wanted to post this FYI. The prizes pool might be about 60 bil isk or so, but that's just filthy lucre. Smile Prizes, no prizes, the fun of the event is everybody writing, having their stories read by many people, seeing how they fared with the judges, and hopefully being inspired to write more. Here's last year's contest site, with information. The rules will be the same this year. So if you want to start writing up 100 entries that fit into that framework, feel free and start now!

Any questions or comments, please just say in this thread. o7
#2 - 2016-07-26 20:27:06 UTC
Ah, my favorite fiction contest returns. :)

I wasn't able to draft any stories last year due to IRL commitments, but I definitely plan to submit a few entries for this year's contest! Looking forward to all the amazing fiction that comes from this :D

Cold Wind's Blade || Follow the I-RED Newsfeed & visit the I-RED GalNet site!

#3 - 2016-07-27 23:43:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Telegram Sam
Cool and o/, Korsavius, looking forward to the reading! If you can, bring a newbro writer with you! Lol
#4 - 2016-08-09 17:31:24 UTC
Some of the stories that has come to light due to this contest is some of the best I have read!

With no hopes of winning I'm planning to enter as well this year, for (as Sam mentioned) the fun and just to show my support for a great competition Big smile

Thank you for running this Sam!
#5 - 2016-08-20 15:47:31 UTC
That's sounds really interesting! I think I'll try to join! Big smile
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2016-09-04 02:56:19 UTC
I am currently working on my first chapter and it is already over 11,000 words. I will be submitting only the first chapter since it will be very long.
#7 - 2016-09-04 13:12:04 UTC
Morgan Agrivar wrote:
I am currently working on my first chapter and it is already over 11,000 words. I will be submitting only the first chapter since it will be very long.

Nice! Unfortunately, to be considered in the competition, an entry has to be 5,000 words or less. But there will be a section for posting and sharing non-competing works (the "Reading Bank").
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2016-09-04 22:07:56 UTC
Telegram Sam wrote:
Morgan Agrivar wrote:
I am currently working on my first chapter and it is already over 11,000 words. I will be submitting only the first chapter since it will be very long.

Nice! Unfortunately, to be considered in the competition, an entry has to be 5,000 words or less. But there will be a section for posting and sharing non-competing works (the "Reading Bank").

Oh then I guess this one is different that this contest. I think I can cut down my original writing for that contest for yours. Is that acceptable or can I submit for only one of them?
#9 - 2016-09-05 14:16:32 UTC
Morgan Agrivar wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Morgan Agrivar wrote:
I am currently working on my first chapter and it is already over 11,000 words. I will be submitting only the first chapter since it will be very long.

Nice! Unfortunately, to be considered in the competition, an entry has to be 5,000 words or less. But there will be a section for posting and sharing non-competing works (the "Reading Bank").

Oh then I guess this one is different that this contest. I think I can cut down my original writing for that contest for yours. Is that acceptable or can I submit for only one of them?

For this contest, the story can't have been publicly posted anywhere else before.* But if you're trimming an 11,000 word chapter down to a 5,000 word stand-alone story, that would be eligible for entry. It would basically be a new work.

*Reason: The first year of the contest, EON magazine was going to publish the winning story in their next edition. They didn't want to publish something that people had already read on the internet. In later years we had to stay with the rule, because the prize pool was pretty big, and people wanted to enter stories they'd written years before to get a chance at winning a prize. That could open the door to many, many Eve fiction stories that have been written over the years. The judges already have 60-100 new stories to read; opening the door to a possible flood of older stories too is too much to ask of them.
#10 - 2016-09-05 14:17:43 UTC
Telegram Sam wrote:
Hi all,
Probably around October, the Pod & Planet EVE fiction contest will open and run for a month. It's in its fifth year, and people have submitted some truly amazing stuff over the years. And a lot of them submitted with the preface, "This is my first time trying something like this, I've never written any fiction before."

So, since quite a few people know about the event, and are probably already working on stories for it, I just wanted to post this FYI. The prizes pool might be about 60 bil isk or so, but that's just filthy lucre. Smile Prizes, no prizes, the fun of the event is everybody writing, having their stories read by many people, seeing how they fared with the judges, and hopefully being inspired to write more. Here's last year's contest site, with information. The rules will be the same this year. So if you want to start writing up 100 entries that fit into that framework, feel free and start now!

Any questions or comments, please just say in this thread. o7


Update: The contest should open at the end of September.
End of Life
#11 - 2016-09-21 13:17:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Random McNally
Bump for the Pod and Planet Contest.

Endorsed by the High Drag Podcast!

Sam, would you be kind enough to include a PLEX from High Drag into the prize pool?

Host of High Drag Podcast. http://highdrag.wordpress.com/

Space music http://minddivided.com

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

#12 - 2016-09-21 23:03:30 UTC
Woot! o/ Random, good to see you. I'll do that, if you'll promise to write some more good stories. Smile JJ High Drag Eve PLEX added to the prize pool. It's at about 54 bil ISK value now.
Heiian Conglomerate
#13 - 2016-09-24 19:06:58 UTC
Would Napanii-language translations of existing fiction be considered?

~ Gariushi YC110 // Midular YC115 // Yanala YC115 ~

"Orte Jaitovalte sitasuyti ne obuetsa useuut ishu. Ketsiak ishiulyn." -Yakiya Tovil-Toba-taisoka

#14 - 2016-09-24 23:14:31 UTC
Neph wrote:
Would Napanii-language translations of existing fiction be considered?

Wow. Interesting! The current rule is that any story being considered for a prize has to be in English. That's only because trying to put together a crew of judges covering all languages wouldn't be practical. There's also a rule that all entries must be "your own work." In this case the story (plot and narrative) wouldn't be your own work, but the translation would. , two options:

-You could enter the story in one of the categories, but I suspect the judges won't award it a prize. Just because they won't be able to read it, and it would be a translation of an existing story, rather than a new original story.

-We can create a category for works that aren't entered for competition, but participate in the event nonetheless. In other words, posted and shared for everyone to read. That might be the better option.

When you're ready to submit your story, EVEmail me and we'll figure it out. Looking forward to seeing it!
#15 - 2016-09-27 02:17:39 UTC  |  Edited by: MysteriousAlt
We're live writers! (See Telegram Sam's original post edit.)

Grab your pencils and get cracking!



Edit for Prize Update:

Prize pool currently totals a drop over 54 bil ISK. Prizes will be a mixture of ships, nice item loot,
and raw ISK. The detailed mix for each category will be shake out as we go along.
(Note - the sanguinary theme emerged on its own as our various sponsors donated items.)
Amounts are rounded down so you may receive bonus blood infusion at the end. Check back often,
all the way until judging is complete and winners are announced. Kind and cheerful people tend to
donate additional loot as the contest progresses.

Grand Prize
Plex, 3 Bhaalgorn, Skill Injector & Liquid ISK = 7.5 bil
This prize usually goes to the best story in the 8,000 Suns canon-faithful category, but if a story from
either of the other categories gets a score that really outstrips the best in 8,000 Suns, it could steal it.

8,000 Suns in New Eden
1st Prize - 2 Bhaalgorn, Skill Injector, Dark Blood Medium Energy Nosferatu & Liquid ISK = 5.9 bil
2nd Prize (there will be two of these) - Ashimmu, Dark Blood Medium Energy Nosferatu & Liquid ISK = 3.7 bil
3rd Prize (there will be three of these) - Ashimmu, Dark Blood Medium Energy Nosferatu & Liquid ISK = 2.1 bil

A Day in the Life
1st Prize - 2 Bhaalgorn, Skill Injector, Dark Blood Medium Energy Nosferatu & Liquid ISK = 4.3 bil
2nd Prize (there will be two of these) - Ashimmu, Dark Blood Medium Energy Nosferatu & Liquid ISK = 2.7 bil
3rd Prize (there will be three of these ) - Ashimmu, Dark Blood Medium Energy Nosferatu & Liquid ISK = 1.6 bil

​Other Things Just Make You Swear and Curse
1st Prize - 2 Bhaalgorn, Skill Injector, Dark Blood Medium Energy Nosferatu & Liquid ISK = 2.7 bil
2nd Prize - Ashimmu, Skill Injector, Dark Blood Medium Energy Nosferatu & Liquid ISK = 2.1 bil
3rd Prize - Ashimmu, Skill Injector, Dark Blood Medium Energy Nosferatu & Liquid ISK = 1.6 bil

​Honorable Mention
(there will be eight of these) - Cruor & Liquid ISK = 540 mil
Across category prize chosen from top-scoring entries

Best Entry by a New Writer
'Nightstalker' Goggles, Cruor, Dark Blood Medium Energy Nosferatu & Liquid ISK = 1.08 bil
Across category prize awarded to the top scoring entry by an author who has never won a prize in a Pod and Planet contest

Thank you for the prizes and o7, generous sponsors and donors!
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2016-09-27 04:36:08 UTC
Mine is already written as ingame story and will submit it when I get home from work. Just have to find out where to submit it.
#17 - 2016-09-27 12:32:43 UTC
Morgan Agrivar wrote:
Mine is already written as ingame story and will submit it when I get home from work. Just have to find out where to submit it.


From Telegram Sam's website (see original post):

How to Submit Your Work

​1) Post your story somewhere on the internet where it can be accessed by the judges and readers. Examples: The EVE Fiction forum, pastebin, Medium, or any free blog host such as Wordpress or Blogger. The URL will be shared with the public, so don’t post in a password-protected place.

2) Send Telegram Sam an EVEmail with:
-The author's name
-The story's title
-Which category the story should be entered in
-The story's word count
-Your confirmation that it's your story and hasn't been posted/published before
-The URL link to where the story is posted.
#18 - 2016-09-28 02:46:00 UTC
Goodie! It's officially underway.

For inspiration you might check out Telegram Sam's interview on Crossing Zebras (http://crossingzebras.com/pod-and-planet/)
#19 - 2016-10-09 03:46:24 UTC
Email with my own submission sent to Telegram Sam.

Was fun to write, but it was hard to hit that submit button! Please be gentle Lol

Good luck to everyone and thank you to all the judges for taking the time to read trough all the entries!
#20 - 2016-10-09 14:02:16 UTC
NightCrawler 85 wrote:
Email with my own submission sent to Telegram Sam.

Was fun to write, but it was hard to hit that submit button! Please be gentle Lol

Good luck to everyone and thank you to all the judges for taking the time to read trough all the entries!

Big smile Received, entered and linked. Looking forward to the reading!
2 Pages12Next page
Forum Jump