Wormholes

 
 

The Drifter Situation

Author
Illusion of Solitude
#1 - 2016-09-27 15:02:44 UTC
Last night while scanning down the chain looking for some pew, I jumped into a C5 that had at least 26 Drifter battleships encamped around POCOs and other connecting wormholes.

After messing my pod a little bit and getting the hell out of there, I got to wondering... what becomes of these systems? Are they effectively no-man's land? Do people set up a POS/citadel in the hopes of drawing the drifters to the defensible position to kill them in relative safety? Do they eventually despawn or travel elsewhere? Or are we effectlvely losing entire systems to them (which itself could be an intended effect by CCP and would make for interesting storyline possibilities)?

#2 - 2016-09-27 16:06:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Amak Boma
some people like to run sites and leave the drifters and eventual wormhole holder has nasty problem. well these drifters do significant damage . and he drops decent lootbu effort is not small.
Illusion of Solitude
#3 - 2016-09-27 17:05:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Kennesaw Breach
Amak Boma wrote:
some people like to run sites and leave the drifters and eventual wormhole holder has nasty problem. well these drifters do significant damage . and he drops decent lootbu effort is not small.


But once you have 26 of them (or 13 in a single pack, as I saw), is there any fleet you can field in a C5 or C6 that can actually handle them?

This seems like a scorched earth model. Run sites til the drifters are too numerous to handle, leave, and no one can come in behind you unless the drifters eventually despawn or move elsewhere (or are vulnerable to some POS/Citadel mechanic). One less available C5 in the game.
#4 - 2016-09-27 17:13:39 UTC
this what bad people do. when the structure in site spawns they align to pos/citadel shot the structure in align and when drifter spawn they warp out. people are scared of these drifter things but theres not much to worry abou them. you just need good fleet and no drifters sometimes scatter around so ou can seek for smaller formation then kill it and hunt down rest . if you have very good fleet you can take even 20 drifters on chest
Illusion of Solitude
#5 - 2016-09-27 17:41:51 UTC
Amak Boma wrote:
this what bad people do. when the structure in site spawns they align to pos/citadel shot the structure in align and when drifter spawn they warp out. people are scared of these drifter things but theres not much to worry abou them. you just need good fleet and no drifters sometimes scatter around so ou can seek for smaller formation then kill it and hunt down rest . if you have very good fleet you can take even 20 drifters on chest


Shocked I would like to see that fleet that could handle 20 drifter battleships. I'd have thought they could alpha pretty much anything off the field at that point.
The Volition Cult
#6 - 2016-09-27 19:53:43 UTC
ok i gotta ask...are these in all WH space or just certain systems? cause if they are all thru out WH space then...yeah....
Official Winners Of Takeshi's Castle
#7 - 2016-09-27 20:40:09 UTC
Even 7 drifter bs can alpha almost ever subcap. If they are on the same grid then If you have anything warping slower then a cruiser it will get caught and alpha'ed.

It is only in certain systems gerald, where people activly spawned them.

No local in null sec would fix everything!

Caldari State
#8 - 2016-09-28 04:24:29 UTC
Gerald Mardiska wrote:
ok i gotta ask...are these in all WH space or just certain systems? cause if they are all thru out WH space then...yeah....

They're in C5 and C6 space mate Big smile

Quoted from Doc Fury: "Concerned citizens: Doc seldom plays EVE on the weekends during spring and summer, so you will always be on your own for a couple days a week. Doc spends that time collecting kittens for the on-going sacrifices, engaging in reckless outdoor activities, and speaking in the 3rd person."

Scary Wormhole People
#9 - 2016-09-28 13:56:23 UTC
They were supposed to de-spawn after a while. but #CCP

Farmers spawnt hem on purpose,a nd use them as a sort of "defense" fleet, since theyll never warp into an anomaly you can runs ites in peace, knowing that a fleet of them on a WH can make it trick for gankers to try and slip through.

Your concern is somewhat accurate as these systems grow in number, we are satrting to see systems become "deadzones", and in even more laughable manner, if anyone is dumb enough to anchor their citadel on an actual planet's grid, the drifters will attack your citadel when vulnerable as well.

In regards to killing them, since their targeting is predictable, you can bring 1 super tank ship to tank them all, and the rest of the fleet in glass cannons and burn them down one by one. FAXes can take upwards of 20 of them, although it can be a rather harrowing experience.

Event Organizer of EVE North East

Illusion of Solitude
#10 - 2016-09-29 12:37:25 UTC
ExookiZ wrote:
They were supposed to de-spawn after a while. but #CCP

Farmers spawnt hem on purpose,a nd use them as a sort of "defense" fleet, since theyll never warp into an anomaly you can runs ites in peace, knowing that a fleet of them on a WH can make it trick for gankers to try and slip through.

Your concern is somewhat accurate as these systems grow in number, we are satrting to see systems become "deadzones", and in even more laughable manner, if anyone is dumb enough to anchor their citadel on an actual planet's grid, the drifters will attack your citadel when vulnerable as well.

In regards to killing them, since their targeting is predictable, you can bring 1 super tank ship to tank them all, and the rest of the fleet in glass cannons and burn them down one by one. FAXes can take upwards of 20 of them, although it can be a rather harrowing experience.


Useful info, thanks.

Definitely interested in a subcap fleet composition that can handle one or two C5 drifter spawns. So far it seems to be "lots of DPS, N+2 logi where N = number of drifters, webs, scrams, and some luck". The ECM burst drifters do seems to have infinite strength...does it also have infinite range, or can a lachesis or something orbit at max range and keep a scram on the drifter while it ECM bursts?
Army of New Eden
#11 - 2016-10-04 00:36:16 UTC
well the problem is CCP said they would make the new drifters both D-scan and Combat probe-able then totally forgot they said that and left us with what we have now, the groups that cannot kill them just let them warp off so they start massing up without despawning

so thank CCP for forgetting about that one, short of warping around your wormhole until you find it (even then you might not) or letting it find you theres no way of clearing it out
#12 - 2016-10-22 15:49:08 UTC
Dr chow Tasioka wrote:
well the problem is CCP said they would make the new drifters both D-scan and Combat probe-able then totally forgot they said that and left us with what we have now, the groups that cannot kill them just let them warp off so they start massing up without despawning

so thank CCP for forgetting about that one, short of warping around your wormhole until you find it (even then you might not) or letting it find you theres no way of clearing it out



I was going to say why not set a field of warp bubbles around the spawn to completely enclose the Drifter spawn? Set sentries at various locations so the fleet can warp to the group of Drifters that warps out. Maybe put up a mobile disruption fields to support the Interdictor fields.

The fact that the Drifters need to create their wormholes into and out of each region also means that their entry and exit points should be able to be scanned down.

Unless the Drifters are able to create their own wormhole using a group of battleships. From what I have seen in High Sector however is that the Drifter needs to create static elements of controlling local Space-Time in order to fold space. The static elements are located on the Overview and should be present in the wormhole as well.

I would have to think that having such a large fleet of Drifter BS present means something extremely important is at the center of the fleet. Possibly components to several links of being able to confuse Drifter wormhole access points to make the systems register a New Eden ship as a Drifter or Sleeper ship allowing the New Eden ship to pass into Drifter space.

Only time will tell if the best hackers and reverse engineers in New Eden are able to crack the Drifter wormhole code.
Eve Radio Alliance
#13 - 2016-10-28 00:50:58 UTC
With more PVE ships in space would be cool if this epedemic gets worse.
#14 - 2016-10-28 05:49:32 UTC
DrysonBennington wrote:
Dr chow Tasioka wrote:
well the problem is CCP said they would make the new drifters both D-scan and Combat probe-able then totally forgot they said that and left us with what we have now, the groups that cannot kill them just let them warp off so they start massing up without despawning

so thank CCP for forgetting about that one, short of warping around your wormhole until you find it (even then you might not) or letting it find you theres no way of clearing it out



I was going to say why not set a field of warp bubbles around the spawn to completely enclose the Drifter spawn? Set sentries at various locations so the fleet can warp to the group of Drifters that warps out. Maybe put up a mobile disruption fields to support the Interdictor fields.

The fact that the Drifters need to create their wormholes into and out of each region also means that their entry and exit points should be able to be scanned down.

Unless the Drifters are able to create their own wormhole using a group of battleships. From what I have seen in High Sector however is that the Drifter needs to create static elements of controlling local Space-Time in order to fold space. The static elements are located on the Overview and should be present in the wormhole as well.

I would have to think that having such a large fleet of Drifter BS present means something extremely important is at the center of the fleet. Possibly components to several links of being able to confuse Drifter wormhole access points to make the systems register a New Eden ship as a Drifter or Sleeper ship allowing the New Eden ship to pass into Drifter space.

Only time will tell if the best hackers and reverse engineers in New Eden are able to crack the Drifter wormhole code.


Dont exaggarate it. Its just CCP's **** up as an half assed lazy change for capital escalations which people complained a lot about. You can go in an empty C5 in 2 rattlesnakes, do 30 sites and spawn 30 drifters. Voila, you got your "spooky fleet of drifters with an odd purpose". Such lore. They are even related to drifters in empire space or drifter wormholes as well. They dont doomsday.

You don't need to bubble them to kill them too. You just point the primary. The bigger problem is you probably need a couple of faxes and capitals to take 20 of them down.

They drop 300m but are not even as good ISK/ehp as the sites themselves.
#15 - 2016-11-01 08:42:31 UTC
Olmeca Gold wrote:


They drop 300m but are not even as good ISK/ehp as the sites themselves.


Most C5 sites drop about 300mil so they are about the same as a whole site in one ship. Running with 3 Snakes and 2 Logi (or 2 and 2 if you like suffering) killing a Drifter is faster than a C5 (no drone travel time, all BS size so more application from drones/missiles ) site so its totally worth killing them assuming you have the numbers.

Also a side effect of killing drifters is that you effectively double the ISK per site, so even a hole with 3-4 sites is a gold mine .
ChaosTheory.
#16 - 2017-01-03 03:50:58 UTC
Kennesaw Breach wrote:
Last night while scanning down the chain looking for some pew, I jumped into a C5 that had at least 26 Drifter battleships encamped around POCOs and other connecting wormholes.

After messing my pod a little bit and getting the hell out of there, I got to wondering... what becomes of these systems? Are they effectively no-man's land? Do people set up a POS/citadel in the hopes of drawing the drifters to the defensible position to kill them in relative safety? Do they eventually despawn or travel elsewhere? Or are we effectlvely losing entire systems to them (which itself could be an intended effect by CCP and would make for interesting storyline possibilities)?




dude....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Xp1rSd1Rw
#17 - 2017-01-04 21:11:22 UTC
I'm unfamiliar with this?

Haven't read about this does all this mean doing sites in a c5 or c6 will generate drifter battleships that follow you in wormhole space?
Brave Collective
#18 - 2017-01-05 17:13:57 UTC
The Drifter Response Battleships only spawn if you shoot a decloaked structure that appears as you finish a C5/C6 combat site. You don't have to shoot the structure.

The Drifters don't leave the system, they warp around to celestials but not anything that can only be reached via the probe window - so no Anoms or Sigs.

They WILL team up though.
ChaosTheory.
#19 - 2017-01-06 08:07:51 UTC
Correction, they do warp to anomalies... but not signatures. They team up yes, if more than one drifter battleship from the escalation is released into a system and one is attacked, the other will come to its aid, and from there out, fly as a cluster, you can get huge bobs of them together like you see in the video. However, they do have a life cycle in the system once released, and from what I have researched is about 3 to 4 days.

If you fit a warp core tab and aggress one, and warp to your citadel, it should follow you, try it on sisi :) the test server.
Forum Jump