Intergalactic Summit

4 Pages123Next pageLast page

[GalFed] Villore Assembly: Public Health in Gamma and Delta Cities

Author
#1 - 2016-12-03 23:34:44 UTC
Quote:
Resolution VA/04/04

Second Villore Assembly

Sponsors: Tressith Sefira, Aedre Lafisques, Charles Cambridge Schmidt, Kador Ouryon, Morwen Lagann

Signatories: James Syagrius, Thaila Lemrenoy, Tristan Valentina, Xadiran

Endorsements: Merchant Rova, Aradina Varren, Kirstin Amsel, Saya Ishikari

Topic: “Medical and Public Health Infrastructure in Gamma and Delta Cities”

The Villore Assembly,

Cognizant of the stratification in medical accessibility across Federal city designations,

Aware that Federal Gamma and Delta cities are disadvantaged technologically across the board, including in medical concerns,

Understanding that all Federal citizens have a Constitutional right to adequate health care,

Appreciating that the installation of medical infrastructure will improve the quality of health of those who live in Gamma and Delta cities,

Requests an inventory from public hospitals and medical facilities in Gamma and Delta cities to determine what supplies and equipment are needed,

Calls upon the Federation to fund the purchasing, shipping, and installing of needed medical equipment and supplies, which may include but is not limited to:

• X-ray imaging devices for various parts of the body
  • Nanite Injectors, pressure bandages, gauze
  • Antiseptics: rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, antibacterial soaps, medigel, etc.
  • Pain relievers: acetaminophen, ibuprofen, opiates, etc.
  • Mental illness medications: anxiolytics, neuroleptics, antidepressants, etc.
  • Crisis gear: hazmat suits, surgical facemasks, tourniquets
  • Easy-Administer Vaccines
  • Contraceptives
  • Antihistamines
  • Sterile needles, hazardous waste disposal tools
  • Storage and collection infrastructure for blood, plasma, marrow, organs
  • Incubation units, centrifuges, culture slides, microscopes

Establishes a basis for future resolutions on medical staffing and infrastructure maintenance.

- Press Secretary Zeiki Amatin
Villore Assembly
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2016-12-06 02:49:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Ameriya
I say this as a doctor. How in the actual heck do you miss AIMEDs on a list of medical supplies?

Additionally, why would you still use ionizing radiation for medical imaging? The more I read this, the more I worry about all of you. What else do you want? A needle and thread to sew up lacerations? How about some leeches, too?
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2016-12-06 02:58:46 UTC
Next you'll tell me you want to use rocket fuel as a disin--oh gods that's on your list, too!
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2016-12-06 03:34:18 UTC
How exactly are cities classified in the Federation anyway?

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

#5 - 2016-12-06 03:39:56 UTC
Ameriya wrote:
I say this as a doctor. How in the actual heck do you miss AIMEDs on a list of medical supplies?

Additionally, why would you still use ionizing radiation for medical imaging? The more I read this, the more I worry about all of you. What else do you want? A needle and thread to sew up lacerations? How about some leeches, too?

Quote:
which may include but is not limited to

I don't care what you think, as long as it's about me.

Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#6 - 2016-12-06 03:40:39 UTC
Ameriya wrote:

As someone who designs, crafts, and implements advanced equipment, I can answer that.

Complex technology fails. Typically when you need it not to. These cities have a less capable infrastructure to maintain more sophisticated equipment as well, which isn't as much of an issue when you're on a core world. Simple, practical supplies with a low failure rate are, in this instance, a better front line. I'm sure no one would decry getting the more sophisticated items, but from a realistic standpoint, these basic amenities will be more effective when needed, simply because they will work when needed.

It's a principle I use in a lot of my designs, as well. Lower tech, but higher concept.

"At the end of it all, we have only what we've left in our wake to be remembered by." -Kyoko Ishikari, YC 95 - YC 117

#7 - 2016-12-06 03:43:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Xun Yu
Elmund Egivand wrote:
How exactly are cities classified in the Federation anyway?

Jueshi Egivand,

Cities in the Federation are classified as: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Delta.

Alpha class cities are post-scarcity centres of culture, trade, and industry. Caille and New Hueromont are the most obvious examples. Beta class cities are the most common class of cities in the Federation, and are similar to Alpha class but lacking the connection to the interstellar society and the same levels of automation. Gamma cities are comparable to wealthier cities in the State or the Empire, still possessed of a sizeable income gap. Delta cities lack any commonly identifiable trait beyond a sizeable population, income gap, and again even more isolated from the interstellar society than Gamma cities. Further Gamma and Delta class cities tend to be less technological developed as compared to the remainder of the Federation.

The classification system is not entirely accurate of course, and fails to accommodate the enormous diversity within the Federation.

I hope this was somewhat helpful.

Taishou Xun Yu

Sanxing - 'Three Stars' - Committed to the Jin-Mei and the Federation

Find us on your Neocom on the router: Sanxing

Gallente Federation
#8 - 2016-12-06 04:15:16 UTC
Saya Ishikari wrote:
Ameriya wrote:

As someone who designs, crafts, and implements advanced equipment, I can answer that.

Complex technology fails. Typically when you need it not to. These cities have a less capable infrastructure to maintain more sophisticated equipment as well, which isn't as much of an issue when you're on a core world. Simple, practical supplies with a low failure rate are, in this instance, a better front line. I'm sure no one would decry getting the more sophisticated items, but from a realistic standpoint, these basic amenities will be more effective when needed, simply because they will work when needed.

It's a principle I use in a lot of my designs, as well. Lower tech, but higher concept.

You speak like these places are the worst of backwater null sec or some planet in Molden Heath that's been bombarded so many times there's not running water and power. Gods. This is the Federation. Cellular regen and even something like an MRI are not beyond the capability of even Gamma cities to maintain and keep running. As for AIMEDs, do you propose to draft doctors and nurses and send them instead? Good luck.

No, what is happening is that you (maybe not you specifically, but you in the general sense) have no idea how medicine works, made your proposal with such lack of knowledge, and now double down to avoid being seen as incorrect. Normally, I don't give a flying ****. Except in medicine, when you don't know what you're doing, people die. I've had enough of the Imperial medical establishment being class A fuckups. (One Amarr doctor induced a coma in a patient for absolutely no ******* reason.) Admit you're ******* wrong and amend your ******* list and stop whining that "this is effective" or "our list includes but not limited to." Ask for cellular regens, ask for AIMEDs, ask for nanite scrubs. You specifically included NSAIDs, but don't ask for an MRI? SSRIs but not TCMCs (which are far more effective for the treatment of mental illnesses, esp in a place that doesn't have infrastructure for effective therapy).

Either you're actually trying to help people, in which case check your ******* egos, or you're trying to just virtue signal, in which case just shut up.
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2016-12-06 04:51:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Elmund Egivand
Many thanks for the clarification, Xun Yu. Not sure what honorifics I should use here.

I also second Ameriya and firmly encourage taking up AIMEDs, solely because AIMEDs are very, very useful for dealing with limited manpower and making it simpler to triage medical emergencies.

I doubt that this initiative will come with a trillion medical professionals to answer to every single ill that is striking down the Gamma and Delta populations. Having AIMEDs around will supplement the limited number of medical professionals you have available to provide medical aid to these populations. You can relegate simple medical ills (e.g. routine workplace accidents) to the AIMEDs and free up the professionals for more complicated problems such as epidemics, malnutrition and etc.

Just get some AIMEDs. Get many AIMEDs. The medical staff will appreciate having them around. If AIMEDs work for the Minmatar core and border worlds, they will work for Gamma and Delta cities too.

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

#10 - 2016-12-06 04:54:00 UTC
Ameriya wrote:
Cellular regen and even something like an MRI are not beyond the capability of even Gamma cities to maintain and keep running.

I plucked this from a generic dictionary page off GalNet:
"Slum areas may be out-of-date modular structures, industrial era brick housing, or even makeshift sheltering. The well-off areas may be crystalline skyscrapers, city blocks made of glass and concrete, or hyper-advanced arcologies. Whatever the case, the contrast is extreme enough to result in a strong rich/poor divide."

If you're interested, I'll also provide you with another one:
"Delta cities may be built around a single industry, or are the hubs of minor civilizations who were never uplifted or developed.

Technology may be old-fashioned, based on fossil fuels and local resources, though there may be smatterings of contemporary tech. Alternatively, the colonial cities found across the frontiers of the Federation are typically assigned delta status."

I understand your aggression on the matter and your upset at a lack of - as you feel - properly listed topics. That's why we post these things here, in public. It's not some closed door process. I'd like to call your attention to the phrase, once more, of "may or may not include," indicating the resolution's capability of adjusting properly.

I don't care what you think, as long as it's about me.

Gallente Federation
#11 - 2016-12-06 05:54:35 UTC
Okay, drop the rocket fuel, the x-rays, and the leaches. Add AIMEDs, nanite scrub, cellular regen, MRIs, and TCMCs.
Mercenary Coalition
#12 - 2016-12-06 06:32:49 UTC
Out of curiosity I ran this past the medical staff handling emergencies and Citadel Medical Facilities both and they started facepalming as soon as I showed them this thread. They said they'd use the exact list as in the OP for exactly the same reasons. It works no matter what, and that certain mental cases might want to try finding out what frontline medicine is actually about.

Gallente Federation
#13 - 2016-12-06 06:35:09 UTC
Well, that just lowered my opinion of Minmatar medicine.
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2016-12-06 07:07:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Elmund Egivand
Ameriya wrote:

The Minmatar are never the leaders of medicine. You will be surprised to hear that in some places 'medicine' means 'herbal remedies' and 'burn incense and chant to nature spirits alot'.

Thankfully not as common as they used to be.

Other than that, the actual medical professionals are still all about getting down and dirty because, well, the budget isn't exactly bountiful. No cellular regens. MRIs exist side by side with X-Rays for redundancy reasons. Scalpels and anaesthetics are still commonly used. TCMCs? Suggest that to the staff and expect to be strapped to the operating table yourself. Nanomedical patches? That's a pretty recent thing and only shows up in the core worlds. Border worlds still use needles and alcohol swabs. What we do have in sufficient quantities are AIMEDs, because the factories do manufacture these in mass quantities.

#15 - 2016-12-06 09:59:13 UTC
Have you considered the use of the Takmahl mass-cloning Device, to rapidly clone up a few thousand nurses, surgeons, general practitioners, lab technicians, and all the other support personnel that would be useful for such an initiative ?

Doctor Valerie Valate. Not to be confused with the other Valerie Valate.

Gallente Federation
#16 - 2016-12-06 10:53:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Jason Galente
..Alright, I'll finally bite.

How can I get involved with the Villore Assembly as an observer?

Only the liberty of the individual assures the prosperity of the whole. And this foundation must be defended.

At any cost

#17 - 2016-12-06 13:24:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
Tell them to move their fatt butts out of homes and I dont mean "get into Gallente Planetary Vehicles".

Or tax every pound too much they have. Use some arbitrary limits. You will have additional income resources you can spent on medications and health.
#18 - 2016-12-06 16:08:38 UTC
Elmund Egivand wrote:
Ameriya wrote:

The Minmatar are never the leaders of medicine. You will be surprised to hear that in some places 'medicine' means 'herbal remedies' and 'burn incense and chant to nature spirits alot'.

Other than that, the actual medical professionals are still all about getting down and dirty because, well, the budget isn't exactly bountiful. No cellular regens. MRIs exist side by side with X-Rays for redundancy reasons. Scalpels and anaesthetics are still commonly used. TCMCs? Suggest that to the staff and expect to be strapped to the operating table yourself. Nanomedical patches? That's a pretty recent thing and only shows up in the core worlds. Border worlds still use needles and alcohol swabs. What we do have in sufficient quantities are AIMEDs, because the factories do manufacture these in mass quantities.

I was always a fan of the "Scorch the wound closed with a hot Iron and put a bandage and some vodka on it till we can clear airspace for medi-vac." Approach.

I want to paint my ship Periwinkle.

Gallente Federation
#19 - 2016-12-06 16:18:48 UTC
Well, thanks for that answer, Elmund. And I'm sorry to hear that.

The thing is that none of the stuff I've said is exactly delicate. An X-ray machine is not really more difficult to maintain than an MRI. I've never had a cellular regen device not work properly. Nanite scrub, again it just works. None of these technologies are new; none of them are really fancy. Not in the Federation.

I would, honest to gods, convene a review board and demand answers if a doctor used an x-ray machine on a patient. I can't think of a possible reason, but I'd give the doctor a chance to try to explain.

Furthermore I completely reject the idea, completely and totally, that the people in Delta and Gamma cities are somehow undeserving of the fullest capabilities of modern Gallente medicine. That is what really disgusts me.
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2016-12-06 16:58:29 UTC
Tyrel Toov wrote:
Elmund Egivand wrote:
Ameriya wrote:

I was always a fan of the "Scorch the wound closed with a hot Iron and put a bandage and some vodka on it till we can clear airspace for medi-vac." Approach.

Have I mentioned I once had to amputate a squadmate's limb with an E-Tool?

4 Pages123Next pageLast page