Warfare & Tactics

How to counter missiles

Author
#1 - 2016-12-13 13:29:23 UTC
Hey,

I just read about the changes they implemented this update. They removed defender missiles. Does this mean there is nothing to counter missile boats now? They have damage of their choosing, that can't miss or be countered (except by keeping range).

Would it work to time smartbombs to destroy missiles (I never tried)?
#2 - 2016-12-13 15:46:54 UTC
There are still plenty of missile counters. They include:

1. Missile Guidance Disruptors. Use them to reduce a missile boat's range, application, or both.
2. Afterburners. If you're going faster than a missile's explosion velocity, you'll take less damage. (MWDs do not work on most hulls due to the penalty to signature radius)
3. Smartbombs. You can set up "firewalls" against missiles, but this is highly situational and usually only works in large fleet fights where a lot of missiles are all coming in in from roughly one point.

Don't be sad about the demise of defender missiles as a missile counter. They were woefully inadequate at their previous role anyways.

Relatively Notorious By Association

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

The Bloc
#3 - 2016-12-13 20:33:25 UTC  |  Edited by: May Arethusa
ECM.
Damps.
Sig Tanking.
Speed Tanking.
Right full rudder, reverse Starboard engines.
Straight up Tanking.
Smartbombs.
Missile Guidance Disruptors.
Using your buddy's sub as a decoy.

Missiles aren't that great.
Caldari State
#4 - 2016-12-14 01:48:30 UTC
Vex Munda wrote:

this what everyone does. it's hard to get the timing right when your ship is moving so it's better to ctrl and space to stop your ship so you can watch them coming in and then pulse smartbomb 1 second before they hit.
#5 - 2016-12-14 13:56:25 UTC
May Arethusa wrote:

One ping only please. Blink

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

#6 - 2016-12-14 13:59:21 UTC
Fourteen Maken wrote:
Vex Munda wrote:

this what everyone does. it's hard to get the timing right when your ship is moving so it's better to ctrl and space to stop your ship so you can watch them coming in and then pulse smartbomb 1 second before they hit.

Except that if you're stationary and you don't get the timing right, they'll hit for considerably more damage than if you had been moving.

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

#7 - 2016-12-16 16:24:34 UTC
holy dude, I missed that part.
does it apply to NPC defender missiles too? 75% chance of defenders on team burners was such a pain. I noticed less (or no) defending on some burners recently, but I havent had a jaguar yet - that one was ridiculously bad, or should I say good at nerfing my missile dps.
#8 - 2017-01-13 12:17:02 UTC
Fourteen Maken wrote:
Vex Munda wrote:

some bigger missiles (namely torps) can be fully negated using 7 smart bombs if you time them right there is 0 chance of a torp making it through the range of the smart bombs in th brief period none are going off.

At least this used to be the case we would use it on bait carriers to counter bomber drops
#9 - 2017-01-14 17:37:27 UTC
SP rebate inbound?
#10 - 2017-01-15 10:18:39 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Fourteen Maken wrote:
Vex Munda wrote:

some bigger missiles (namely torps) can be fully negated using 7 smart bombs if you time them right there is 0 chance of a torp making it through the range of the smart bombs in th brief period none are going off.

At least this used to be the case we would use it on bait carriers to counter bomber drops

Not viable anymore, since it takes multiple smartbombs to kill a single torp now. But you can still vastly reduce the damage.