Missions & Complexes

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Quick question about pve (mwd vs afterburner)

Author
Solitaire.
#1 - 2017-01-08 21:31:27 UTC
Can't log on atm but i have a level 4 mission I've been putting off trying cause of groups of battleships.
Bloodraider battleships, according to eve survival it lists corpus patriarchs and popes as examples.
I'm using a gnosis and afterburner but I wonder if I'd be too slow at range 35km+ for where i can use drones to fight them.

Would it be better to try a mwd at close range against a battleship or what it just make me even easier to hit even if I'm going much faster and orbiting or is an afterburner sufficent against the tracking of battleships. Just curious before i actually try doing it. I could go for lower damage and kite them at 50-57km with infrared and keep the afterburner, it says they do low damage past 50km and my drones will reach with a drone link augmentor for my medium drones or I can try the mwd and get close and use xray ammo.
Which would you prefer?
#2 - 2017-01-08 22:40:22 UTC
I prefer to keep my distance from Blood Raiders due to cap warfare.
#3 - 2017-01-08 22:55:11 UTC
You certianly can MWD at close range, however don't forget that MWD increases your sig radius and as such they are like to be able to hit you more,

I tend to slow boat at range for my sentries (if i'm moving at all)

and then just MWD to Gates and such.

But then again i'm still 110K out with Wardens 2 so that might be a bit different for you.

If you are using non sentry combat drones, a good Afterburner and low sig radius can help with speed tanking.

Hope this helps.

I am a miner, mission runner, and explorer...

or as EVE Online would have it...

A Carebear!!

Solitaire.
#4 - 2017-01-09 10:23:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Matthias Ancaladron
Stuck with afterburn and drone link augmentor.
Patriarchs went down easy enough at 50-55km with medium drones and infrared M.
Literally took 0 points of damage.

Popes on the other hand started shooting in the 60-70s. And they were doing a lot more than very little damage. Almost killed me when i was at max speed flying perpendicularly trying to get into orbit range. Didn't even matter, they were hitting most of the shots and I had to warp out. Got down to 5% armor, 40% hull by the time I was in warp and no longer taking shots. Was never within 50-55km. Had the orbit set at 52km but at 60 I was aligning to get out. Their tracking was just too good to avoid the damage in an alpha ship at 400m/s. Don't recommend mining misappropriation 4 for other alphas unless you have help for the second and third pope waves and can take the aggro off you. Maybe if you have a really fast small ship it'll work idk. Gnosis is too big. Works fine against patriarchs though. They literally can't hit you at all if your moving.

I cheated and asked a guy in a Gila for help in local and finished it.
Solitaire.
#5 - 2017-01-09 10:33:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Matthias Ancaladron
Double
#6 - 2017-01-09 12:13:10 UTC
Ouch :(

Post your fit, I wonder if there's room for tweaking it a little?
Solitaire.
#7 - 2017-01-09 22:51:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Matthias Ancaladron
Mara Rinn wrote:
Ouch :(

Post your fit, I wonder if there's room for tweaking it a little?



Atm it's

5 heavy modulated ... uh focused beams I think? Whatever's right under heavy beam II
Drone link augmentor

Mids are an afterburner, 2 tracking computer II's and 3 cap recharger II's

Lows is 2 heat sink II' s, damage control II, prototype thermal armor hardener, prototype em armor hardener
And medium vestments armor repairer.

Rigs are all cap control circuits stuff.
I still have roughly 120cpu/pg to mess with stuff, but I've been using more or less the same set up from my maller.
I have a bad connection so if i drop I'd like to know im not gonna run out of cap on my hardeners or repairer while im getting a connection and logging back in so I have it set up to be cap stable first against large groups of little stuff that have trouble killing me in level 3 missions. Not ideal for level 4s I know lol
#8 - 2017-01-11 03:01:27 UTC
Lvl4s are a fair bit harder than lvl3s so you might struggle with a fair few of them as an alpha.

Here are a few options that might work a bit better than your fit. The main thing being that a single Large cap Battery gives you alot of extra Cap to play with. Also if you are shooting Radio or some long range Ammo you drones are most of your DPS so drone damage mods my be a better bet.

[Gnosis, Lvl4 Amarr Alpha]

Medium Armor Repairer II
Damage Control II
Heat Sink II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Prototype Armor EM Hardener I
Prototype Armor Thermal Hardener I

10MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
Optical Compact Tracking Computer, Optimal Range Script
Denny Enduring Omnidirectional Tracking Link, Tracking Speed Script
Large Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery
Cap Recharger II
Drone Navigation Computer I

Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Drone Link Augmentor I

Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I


Imperial Navy Acolyte x5
Federation Navy Hammerhead x5

Extra Tank

[Gnosis, Lvl4 Amarr Alpha more tank]

Medium Armor Repairer II
Medium Armor Repairer II
Damage Control II
Heat Sink II
Prototype Armor EM Hardener I
Prototype Armor Thermal Hardener I

10MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
Optical Compact Tracking Computer, Optimal Range Script
Cap Recharger II
Large Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery
Cap Recharger II
Drone Navigation Computer I

Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Drone Link Augmentor I

Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I


Imperial Navy Acolyte x5
Federation Navy Hammerhead x5
#9 - 2017-01-12 13:28:07 UTC
Spend a bit of isk and get cheap ds hardeners and repper, will make a huge difference to your tank
#10 - 2017-01-14 15:49:11 UTC
Please see the fits posted by Andrew Indy what follows are alternative thoughts on those basic fits.

With the SP limits of an Alpha clone I am a big fan of faction armor reps and yes I am aware they raise the value of the ship and may be more difficult to earn the ISK for. Why do I say this?
For the most part the SP requirements for the faction modules are the same as the T1 meta 4 versions and yet these faction modules often give you more rep capability than the T2 and using less CPU/PG in the process.

On the single rep fit above try a True Sansha or Fed Navy armor rep instead of the T2.

On the dual rep fit, I never liked two of the same size for a mission ship. Fit a small faction and make your ship cap stable with that and your AB or MWD running. Warp into mission turn on small and leave it on till the mission is over. No this will not handle all the incoming damage so you fit a faction medium and pulse it as needed to deal with damage taken the small cannot handle.
Another benefit, combined a True Sansha small and True Sansha Medium will use less PG/CPU than a single T2 medium.
#11 - 2017-01-14 16:46:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
The best investment for L4s is a subscription so you can fly something that won't take forever to clear them. And then the answer is both MWD and MJD.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Solitaire.
#12 - 2017-01-15 04:19:08 UTC
Andrew Indy wrote:
Lvl4s are a fair bit harder than lvl3s so you might struggle with a fair few of them as an alpha.

Here are a few options that might work a bit better than your fit. The main thing being that a single Large cap Battery gives you alot of extra Cap to play with. Also if you are shooting Radio or some long range Ammo you drones are most of your DPS so drone damage mods my be a better bet.

[Gnosis, Lvl4 Amarr Alpha]

Medium Armor Repairer II
Damage Control II
Heat Sink II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Prototype Armor EM Hardener I
Prototype Armor Thermal Hardener I

10MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
Optical Compact Tracking Computer, Optimal Range Script
Denny Enduring Omnidirectional Tracking Link, Tracking Speed Script
Large Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery
Cap Recharger II
Drone Navigation Computer I

Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Drone Link Augmentor I

Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I


Imperial Navy Acolyte x5
Federation Navy Hammerhead x5

Extra Tank

[Gnosis, Lvl4 Amarr Alpha more tank]

Medium Armor Repairer II
Medium Armor Repairer II
Damage Control II
Heat Sink II
Prototype Armor EM Hardener I
Prototype Armor Thermal Hardener I

10MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
Optical Compact Tracking Computer, Optimal Range Script
Cap Recharger II
Large Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery
Cap Recharger II
Drone Navigation Computer I

Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Focused Modulated Medium Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Drone Link Augmentor I

Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I


Imperial Navy Acolyte x5
Federation Navy Hammerhead x5


Thanks, I already use a large cap battery on my maller so i already have one I can switch out, my gnosis isn't ideal it's just my scaled up maller fit.
I do not have yhe skill for tech 2 repairers get yet but I could do a faction repairer like someone suggested below. Money's not really an issue for if it's one or two items. I have plenty to spend on a nice repairer here or there i just haven't gone out to buy anything lately.
How long will the large cap battery double rep run out of curiousity? I'm not online atm but I'll try to simulate a fit like that with true Sansha repairers, I dont mind a small bit of being within reason. But idk I'm about the drones. I go through alot of drones and I just dont feel right dropping 1-2m a drone that i know I'm gonna lose for an extra 20dps.
Small progress update. Ive been trying a few different level 4s in between my usually fast 3 runs. Most of the ones I get are burner missions that i decline but so far i've complete massive attack/sanshas (easiest one yet, only 2 battleships and no mass aggros)
Cargo delivery/serpents
Damsel in distress and one other i cant remember but solod the above with no trouble at all.
Some of these are easiky doable for alphas with no attention required when its low end battleships with poor tracking/range.
Me and a friend in an ishtar did alright in a blood raider psychotropics depot but I was mostly tanking with a bunch of em/thermal stuff to keep him from getting hit by the battleships and cruisemissiles/web towers when he came in after me.
I just got worlds collide but I haven't accepted it yet.
Solitaire.
#13 - 2017-01-15 04:22:24 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
Please see the fits posted by Andrew Indy what follows are alternative thoughts on those basic fits.

With the SP limits of an Alpha clone I am a big fan of faction armor reps and yes I am aware they raise the value of the ship and may be more difficult to earn the ISK for. Why do I say this?
For the most part the SP requirements for the faction modules are the same as the T1 meta 4 versions and yet these faction modules often give you more rep capability than the T2 and using less CPU/PG in the process.

On the single rep fit above try a True Sansha or Fed Navy armor rep instead of the T2.

On the dual rep fit, I never liked two of the same size for a mission ship. Fit a small faction and make your ship cap stable with that and your AB or MWD running. Warp into mission turn on small and leave it on till the mission is over. No this will not handle all the incoming damage so you fit a faction medium and pulse it as needed to deal with damage taken the small cannot handle.
Another benefit, combined a True Sansha small and True Sansha Medium will use less PG/CPU than a single T2 medium.

Yeah thats fine. Like in my last reply moneys not an issue really as long as we're not talking 300m on 1 module.
I already have some faction stuff as drops but its mostly neuts nuts and explosive gardeners and such that I have no use for. I don't mind spending a bit on a repairwr, i just haven't looked them up yet or really spent much time recently at a hub browsing.
Solitaire.
#14 - 2017-01-15 04:25:18 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
The best investment for L4s is a subscription so you can fly something that won't take forever to clear them. And then the answer is both MWD and MJD.


I dont have enough to pkex yet sorry and i dont plan on plexing until I have enough money and income that i wont be flat broke when no buy it, I only have like 800-900m atm I wouldn't want to plex until I can do that and afford a moderately fitted abaddon
#15 - 2017-01-15 04:50:04 UTC
Matthias Ancaladron wrote:
I dont have enough to plex yet sorry and i dont plan on plexing until I have enough money and income that i wont be flat broke when no buy it, I only have like 800-900m atm I wouldn't want to plex until I can do that and afford a moderately fitted abaddon

I said subscrption, not PLEX. A 3-month subscription is very reasonable, you can utilize the time to train up the required skillset and then get into something that will generate enough ISK/hour to PLEX your account every month (hint: it's not the Abaddon).

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Solitaire.
#16 - 2017-01-15 09:32:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Matthias Ancaladron
Actually i wasn't paying attention to my loot drops, I already have an a-type small armor repairer, I just need a medium, or 2 cheap mediums if i go for double reps I guess

Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Matthias Ancaladron wrote:
I dont have enough to plex yet sorry and i dont plan on plexing until I have enough money and income that i wont be flat broke when no buy it, I only have like 800-900m atm I wouldn't want to plex until I can do that and afford a moderately fitted abaddon

I said subscrption, not PLEX. A 3-month subscription is very reasonable, you can utilize the time to train up the required skillset and then get into something that will generate enough ISK/hour to PLEX your account every month (hint: it's not the Abaddon).

I know but I dont have any money to subscribe, only came back after years cause it went free to play. I'm doing it on the cheap.
An abaddon will let me grind occasional lvl4 missions a bit easier than a gnosis while I set up pi and maybe make 2 pi alts maybe.

Also I just want an abaddon for me. The abaddon and apocalypse are my favorite amarr ships and one of the main reasons I went amarr. I've always wanted one and doing some level 4s gives me an excuse to buy one of my favorite ships that's all.
#17 - 2017-01-15 11:23:08 UTC
Well, if you're going down the Amarr path - you might as well aim for the Paladin.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

#18 - 2017-01-15 19:30:04 UTC
can you fit this ?

https://o.smium.org/loadout/127376

there are two presets : one with cap recharger, the second with a MJD instead. I guess alphas can't use MJD but..

You should have around 350 DPs and 100EHP/s tank. as well as be cap stable in the cap recahrger fit.
Forum Jump