Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
 

How About Fixing the UI

Author
Penguin Mafia.
#1 - 2017-01-09 17:35:00 UTC
The game is so old I just don't understand why nothing has ever been streamlined.

For instance: I play at 1080p, the most common resolution in gaming right now. Yet when I try to overheat my modules it appears I literally have a 1 pixel range to hit my mark on the module if I want to left click them to overheat. Everything about the green overheat button is awkward and many times I find myself not sure if it's lit up or not. Were supposed to be paying attention to the ships, not wondering if the thing is actually overheating or not. Maybe make the overheat light separate from the activation button.

Also it's quite easy to burn out your modules because it's hard to see the red line as it comes around the circle. Make it wider, change the shape, do something. Anything.

Changing Orbit: The process of changing orbit while flying is just cumbersome. Why? Changing orbit on the fly should be quick and painless.

Changing Ammo: Everything about Rt. clicking and trying to read the list while flying is wrong.

Many fights last seconds, its bad enough missiles take 10 seconds to reload, then add another 3-4 seconds to the process to bring the list up and read it in combat to make sure you select the right ammo.

I like the fact this game has been around over 13 years but it doesn't have to play like one. Big smile
#2 - 2017-01-09 18:01:13 UTC
I think we all hear you and agree with you, but some of the recent Icelandic attempts to improve UI have been a little too close to using Mjölnir to fix a Fabergé egg.

Careful what you wish for.
DARKNESS.
#3 - 2017-01-09 18:57:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivr Luzade
Sonnis Xintara wrote:
Changing Orbit: The process of changing orbit while flying is just cumbersome. Why? Changing orbit on the fly should be quick and painless.

Changing Ammo: Everything about Rt. clicking and trying to read the list while flying is wrong.

Change orbit as in range or orientation? Range is easy with the radial menu. Orientation, on the other hand, is that even possible, except with manual piloting?

More power to the Radial Menu for ammo switching: Similar to this, I would like to have an adjustable radial menu for modules with ammo. Especially for weapons, you could set which field holds short range/long range/mid range/T2 ammo or whatever you like so that you just long click on it and then intuitively move your mouse to the field with your desired ammo. Most people don't have more than 5 ammo types in their cargo so the number of slots in the Radial Menu is sufficient for the vast majority of scenarios. For edge cases, you could still have the right click menu or use the second layer of the radial by moving your mouse over the edge of a slot like you do with orbit or keep at range adjustments.

Cristl wrote:
I think we all hear you and agree with you, but some of the recent Icelandic attempts to improve UI have been a little too close to using Mjölnir to fix a Fabergé egg.

Lol

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Penguin Mafia.
#4 - 2017-01-09 20:28:28 UTC
Rivr Luzade wrote:
Sonnis Xintara wrote:
Changing Orbit: The process of changing orbit while flying is just cumbersome. Why? Changing orbit on the fly should be quick and painless.

Changing Ammo: Everything about Rt. clicking and trying to read the list while flying is wrong.

Change orbit as in range or orientation? Range is easy with the radial menu. Orientation, on the other hand, is that even possible, except with manual piloting?

More power to the Radial Menu for ammo switching: Similar to this, I would like to have an adjustable radial menu for modules with ammo. Especially for weapons, you could set which field holds short range/long range/mid range/T2 ammo or whatever you like so that you just long click on it and then intuitively move your mouse to the field with your desired ammo. Most people don't have more than 5 ammo types in their cargo so the number of slots in the Radial Menu is sufficient for the vast majority of scenarios. For edge cases, you could still have the right click menu or use the second layer of the radial by moving your mouse over the edge of a slot like you do with orbit or keep at range adjustments.

Cristl wrote:
I think we all hear you and agree with you, but some of the recent Icelandic attempts to improve UI have been a little too close to using Mjölnir to fix a Fabergé egg.

Lol



You're missing my point entirely. Forget the radial menus, drop downs, and rt. clicking for menus that disappear when you go off the edge on accident (ugh). They're counter intuitive and slow when you need info in a fight.
Changing from say 8500 to 8000 is a needlessly time wasting process. Switching is easy if your fit happens to run exactly at one of the few preset ranges, yes. I'm just saying for a game that depends a lot on range control, controlling range is a very clunky process.
#5 - 2017-01-09 20:40:55 UTC
Shift-click mod.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Penguin Mafia.
#6 - 2017-01-10 00:36:31 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Shift-click mod.


Personally I can't reach shift and any F-Keys. I'm like that guy in the Burger King commercial with small hands :D Setting weapons to regular numbers 1-10 results in misclicks while flying. I have 5-7 set to overheat the racks.
Even if I could that's just a workaround for stuff that should work in the first place. Clearly modules are meant to be overheated by left clicking on the green light but someone forgot to make the hit box bigger than 1 pixel.
#7 - 2017-01-10 02:24:17 UTC
Sonnis Xintara wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Shift-click mod.


Personally I can't reach shift and any F-Keys. I'm like that guy in the Burger King commercial with small hands :D Setting weapons to regular numbers 1-10 results in misclicks while flying. I have 5-7 set to overheat the racks.
Even if I could that's just a workaround for stuff that should work in the first place. Clearly modules are meant to be overheated by left clicking on the green light but someone forgot to make the hit box bigger than 1 pixel.

It works. Just because you cannot use it does not meant it doesn't work. I have the opposite problem. I play with 4k resolution and find myself constantly overheating on accident.

Your issue is the very definition of PEBCAK.
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#8 - 2017-01-10 02:57:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
Sonnis Xintara wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Shift-click mod.


Personally I can't reach shift and any F-Keys. I'm like that guy in the Burger King commercial with small hands :D Setting weapons to regular numbers 1-10 results in misclicks while flying. I have 5-7 set to overheat the racks.
Even if I could that's just a workaround for stuff that should work in the first place. Clearly modules are meant to be overheated by left clicking on the green light but someone forgot to make the hit box bigger than 1 pixel.

sir, either rebind those keys to something that works or just hand in your PC-master race card™,
immediately.
DARKNESS.
#9 - 2017-01-10 07:38:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivr Luzade
Sonnis Xintara wrote:
You're missing my point entirely. Forget the radial menus, drop downs, and rt. clicking for menus that disappear when you go off the edge on accident (ugh). They're counter intuitive and slow when you need info in a fight.
Changing from say 8500 to 8000 is a needlessly time wasting process. Switching is easy if your fit happens to run exactly at one of the few preset ranges, yes. I'm just saying for a game that depends a lot on range control, controlling range is a very clunky process.

Then make a suggestion on how to make it better. For me, nothing is more intuitive and precise as the radial menu in almost any scenario (outside of tidi, I prefer right click under these circumstances). Even other games like Dreadnought use a radial menu for often used/specific ship functions.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

#10 - 2017-01-10 07:43:21 UTC
Sonnis Xintara wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Shift-click mod.


Personally I can't reach shift and any F-Keys. I'm like that guy in the Burger King commercial with small hands :D Setting weapons to regular numbers 1-10 results in misclicks while flying. I have 5-7 set to overheat the racks.
Even if I could that's just a workaround for stuff that should work in the first place. Clearly modules are meant to be overheated by left clicking on the green light but someone forgot to make the hit box bigger than 1 pixel.

You dont need the fkeys. Just hold shift anf left click the modules he means. It toggles the overheat so you dont have to hit the little green spot.
#11 - 2017-01-10 16:32:34 UTC
Matthias Ancaladron wrote:
Sonnis Xintara wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Shift-click mod.


Personally I can't reach shift and any F-Keys. I'm like that guy in the Burger King commercial with small hands :D Setting weapons to regular numbers 1-10 results in misclicks while flying. I have 5-7 set to overheat the racks.
Even if I could that's just a workaround for stuff that should work in the first place. Clearly modules are meant to be overheated by left clicking on the green light but someone forgot to make the hit box bigger than 1 pixel.

You dont need the fkeys. Just hold shift anf left click the modules he means. It toggles the overheat so you dont have to hit the little green spot.


^^

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Penguin Mafia.
#12 - 2017-01-11 06:46:37 UTC
Matthias Ancaladron wrote:
Sonnis Xintara wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Shift-click mod.


Personally I can't reach shift and any F-Keys. I'm like that guy in the Burger King commercial with small hands :D Setting weapons to regular numbers 1-10 results in misclicks while flying. I have 5-7 set to overheat the racks.
Even if I could that's just a workaround for stuff that should work in the first place. Clearly modules are meant to be overheated by left clicking on the green light but someone forgot to make the hit box bigger than 1 pixel.

You dont need the fkeys. Just hold shift anf left click the modules he means. It toggles the overheat so you dont have to hit the little green spot.



This, I admit, I didn't know. My little hands thank you :)
Forum Jump